Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Batman: Arkham Knight
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 15:16 
Paws for thought

Yeah, that reply was more mocking me than anything.
Although I do rather like the console.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 16:02 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

New trailer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:19 
8-Bit Champion

New video

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 17:31 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Quote:
Recommended System Requirements

OS: Win 7 SP1, Win 8.1 (64-bit Operating System Required)
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770, 3.4 GHz | AMD FX-8350, 4.0 GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
Graphics Memory: 3 GB
DirectX®: 11
Network: Broadband Internet Connection Required
Hard Drive Space: 55 GB

/chokes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 18:22 

Well, I probably won't be getting this for the PC anytime soon.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 23:00 
Excellent Member

This was always going to be a PS4 game for me anyway. I'm not actually sure what would have to happen to make me upgrade my PC. Well, some kind of demanding PC exclusive is obviously the answer but that just never happens these days.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 16:44 
8-Bit Champion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 18:28 
Bad Girl

Holy apathy, Batman. I couldn't give a flying fuck about Batman after that trailer.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:45 
SavyGamer

I don't like their design for Robin at all.

I also don't like that the Batmobile is more like a tank than a car. Seems to be quite shooty, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 15:23 
Excellent Member

First review is up and it plays a bit to expectations i.e. good game but Batmobile bits are a major flaw.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 15:24 
Excellent Member

Free 'New 52' character skins for the console versions:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-gb/ ... NNEW520000

https://store.xbox.com/en-GB/Xbox-One/D ... 414a839868

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 18:34 
Rude Belittler

To be honest, I bloody loved Asylum but I didn't enjoy City nearly as much. I don't fancy this one at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 13:38 

I've been playing it today and it is very, very good. But then I liked Arkham City. The way Gotham has been laid out in this makes the Batmobile a worthwhile addition for getting around, although the controls are a little sketchy and the combat in it isn't as enjoyable as the fisticuffs when on foot. All the same though, if you liked Asylum and City, you should love this one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 13:44 
Excellent Member

I bought it yesterday but accidentally ended up in the pub getting really drunk instead of playing it, I'll try to remedy that this evening.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:52 
Excellent Member

I still haven't managed to play this! Got home last night and put the disc in the drive which kicked off a ~3GB patch download. I then redeemed the codes for all the extra content that came with it which added another couple of GB to the download list. Plus the Games of Thrones and Borderlands Telltale games wanted updating as well so I just left the PS4 to it and did something else. Obviously I could've played the game anyway and just let things download in the background but with all the shite happening around the PC version I'd prefer to be fully patched up before starting just in case; and with the various add-ons already integrated as I'm not sure how and when they key into the game. Tonight though! Maybe.

And in related news, the PC version has been pulled entirely while they fix it because it's apparently such a shambles. Fuck sake.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:08 
Hello Hello Hello

Looks like the PC version is a total trainwreck at the moment, with shocking performance, 30FPS cap by default, missing console graphical features (!), and generally just being an obvious rush-job to get it out of the door.

It's sat in my Steam library ready to install but I'll just wait until it's had a few patches, the problems have been 'acknowledged' and are being worked on apparently.

I think a good rule of thumb these days is not to jump in right at launch, The Witcher 3 for example is already up to 1.06 and 1.07 is incoming which will feature many more improvements and fixes. (I'm holding off on getting involved with it until the dev says there's nothing more of any significance they want to patch.)

I'm not right fussed on the Batman games anyway, but as it was a freebie with my graphics card I may as well take a look - WHEN IT WORKS PROPERLY.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:43 
Hello Hello Hello

Crikey, withdrawn from sale on Steam now.

Guess that new Steam refunds policy was hurting them eh? (Especially since the distributor doesn't get the Steam cut back as part of the refund apparently, and of course they don't even get a physical product returned.)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... t-pc-sales

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:46 

I'm glad I plumped for the PS4 version of this now. I got the previous three on PC as they were all generally much better versions than the console ones, but I had a feeling my PC wouldn't be quite up to the task of this one. Apparently this time around, Rocksteady worked primarily on the console versions (PS4 was the lead format I believe) and the PC version got farmed out to someone else - whereas Asylum and City were both produced in-house. Pretty shocking state of affairs really.

It's a real shame - the more I play this game, the more I love it. I honestly think it's so far proving to be the best in the series (having very recently replayed both Asylum and City in the build up to this). Some of what they've done with the plot is very, very clever indeed and it feels like a big finale to the series.

One of the little touches I love involves a big set-piece fairly early on into the main plot:
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
In an attempt to stop Scarecrow destroying the East Coast of America with his nerve toxin, Batman himself gets a dose of it - permanently leaving him with constant hallucinations of the Joker. For the rest of the game, everywhere you go and whatever you do, the Joker pops up, goading you. It sounds potentially irritating, but it actually really adds to the game - this feeling that the more that happens, the more your character is mentally unravelling.

Plus, any 'gritty' Batman game that lets you play as Adam West Batman, with your Bat-tank-mobile painted black and red like the 60's Batmobile is always going to get my vote.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 23:17 
8-Bit Champion

Batgirl DLC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:56 
Excellent Member

I 'finished' this, plus the Harley and Red Hood DLC, last night and as I mentioned in the Finish 52 thread it was a bit of a mixed bag. The basics that you'd expect from any Arkham game were all present and correct but the additions and changes were all over the place so have a random list of good and bad stuff.

The good:
  • Graphics. It looked utterly fucking lovely and is a very good sign of things to come from proper current gen games. The only slight downside there is that there's so much detail and stuff in the city that in some of the racing sections with the Batmobile it's difficult to plan your route because you can't see what's coming up.
  • The plot. Generally speaking I think this is the most engaged I've been with any of the Arkham games and I really liked the writing. The stuff with
    The Joker
    being an obvious highlight and the way they worked him in was incredibly well done.
  • The Batmobile. When used sparingly it was capable of being a nice addition to the game. It was hard to adjust to seeing it as another gadget and adding it to my mental model of possible puzzle solving tools but that was temporary. The parts where you had to work out how to get the Batmobile inside a given arena were pretty satisfying because once you succeed you get to blow the fuck out of all the enemies and gun turrets that were giving you such a hard time moments earlier. It was also very useful when hunting down Riddler trophies because the game would give you a GPS trail to follow when in the car that really speeds up the time taken to find each one.
  • Being a badass predator. This is still as fun as it always was and the new fear takedown mechanic is not only brilliant fun but genuinely encourages you to get in close for silent take downs in order to power it up. Pro-tip: doing a silent takedown instantly powers you up for a fear multi-takedown so if you've got a row of guys you can dive in to silently take down the one at the rear then instantly start a chain of fear takedowns to drop the rest, which is very satisfying.
  • Multi-character combat. There are arenas where you've got an ally with you and can do hilariously brutal dual-takedowns These are incredibly satisfying in general but also automatically switch you to the other person which requires you to instantly adjust to their fighting style on the fly. Good fun all in.
  • General variety. Between the core plotline and the various side missions you never need to be doing the same thing for any length of time so you could certainly never accuse the game of being boring. Also, the way the side missions activate and deactivate as you progress is very well done and means you can't just charge through an entire set in one go and get bored of it as I have a tendency to do. This compromise between fully open world vs linear guided play is a great bit of game design. I realise other games have done this to an extent but the way it's handled here made everything feel properly integrated. The other nice thing is that a lot of the side missions weren't initially on the map and you'd just stumble across them as you flew from one objective to the next (listening out for the opera music of the serial killer or the shriek of the Man-bat being particularly highlights). But after a while someone would report an incident to give you an objective if you weren't finding them yourself fast enough so another excellent balance in game design.
  • Riddler stuff. His proper side mission where you and Catwoman are doing puzzle rooms was really good fun. Rocksteady's Catwoman is nicely sarcastic which played well with their Riddler characterisation and the actual puzzle rooms were well designed. Although the racing track sections sucked fucking ass as mentioned below. I'd really liked to have seen this through to the end and properly kicked his ass but see below comment about there being just too many trophies spread through the city.

The bad:
  • The Batmobile. There were huge tranches of the game where it was utterly rammed down your throat; most especially the beginning when you're just trying to get back into the swing of things and the mental load of this whole new thing to learn was pretty off-putting. Also the tank battles with it were a nice idea that were massively over-used and got really irritating after a while. If I never see the words 'missile lock' again it'll be too fucking soon. Although I did quite enjoy the parts where you had to stealthily take out the bigger tanks, not least because sneaking around in a fucking tank is a concept that still makes me laugh. Oh, and the Riddler stuff where you had to race the thing round his underground tracks can get to fucking fuck; that was teeth grinding stuff. Basically it was good stuff when used more sparingly but the designers were just too desperate to make sure the time they spent on it didn't go to waste.
  • Over-stuffed combat. As of Origins the Arkham games already have a huge array of enemy types which present different challenges in a fight and need different button combos or gadgets to take them down. With Knight they ramped it all up again by adding even more shit into the mix and while some of these idea were fine in concept some of the fights just got completely over-whelming when they threw too much shit at you. I eventually gave up with the Occupy Gotham and Own the Roads challenges because some of them just threw everything and the kitchen sink into some of the fights and it wasn't fun any more. The mental load required to juggle guys with guns and guys with knives and guys with shields and guys with cattle prods and guys who were untouchably electrified and ninjas with swords and medics and titans and titans with knives and titans with shields and titans with fucking electric gauntlets and titans with knives and shields who would occasionally also draw out electric fucking gauntlets and guys who charge at you from the other side of the room and lethal drone guns on a timer was just ludicrous and resulted in my control pad getting launched across the room on more than one occasion. There were times I actually had to pause a single fight to Google the button combination for dealing with a specific enemy type because I couldn't keep it all in my head and that can just fuck off frankly. By no means all, or even a majority, of the fights were like this but enough of them were that I started to slightly dread each new encounter until I could see what I was up against.
  • Riddler stuff. I loved it in the first game and happily spent hours tracking down trophies in Arkham City but there's just too fucking many of them this time round and I got bored about half way through. They generally do a good job of mixing it up and forcing you to use all your gadgets and stuff but the sheer number of the bloody things sucks away your desire to go for them. They need more of the ones where you get a hint of what you're looking for and have to 'scan' certain items, those are always good fun and there's nowhere near enough of them.

So, yeah; some aspects of it made it the best Arkham game and other stuff made it the worst. Absolutely worth playing and a great game by any standard but definitely flawed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:01 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I thought about getting this recently then decided I should probably play some of the games I've already got but haven't touched.

I take a look at my shelf if games and lo and behold, there's a copy of Batman there. I guess I bought it and totally forgot.

Anyway, I'm playing it now. It's fucking good, isn't it?

I AM THE GODDAMN BATMAN.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:31 

Grim... wrote:
I take a look at my shelf if games and lo and behold, there's a copy of Batman there. I guess I bought it and totally forgot.

It was the game you used to demo your Steam Link to me on New Year's Eve HTH HAND

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:07 
Excellent Member

It's decent, apart from the GODDAMN BATMOBILE.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:30 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:

It was the game you used to demo your Steam Link to me on New Year's Eve HTH HAND

Wasn't that Arkham City?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:39 
Excellent Member

Wait, is it the PC you've got it on then? I don't know if I'd bother with it there given how badly implemented it apparently is. I would suggest getting a refund and buying the PS4 version but I think you missed the boat on that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:42 

Grim... wrote:
Wasn't that Arkham City?
No, I don't think so. Because I've played City but not Knight, and that's why I picked it. Check your Steam purchase history and see when you bought Knight.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:57 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Nope, only Asylum and City and City GOTY, and only the latter is installed.

I'm playing Arkham Knight on the PS4.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:04 
SavyGamer

I've been playing this recently after grabbing it with the season pass for under £20 from an Amazon price error.

The game says I'm about 50% of the way through it, I think I am close to the end of the main story now.

I agree with everything Bamba said up there.

I think they've stretched this format about as far as it can go, and the cracks are starting to show. It's not a bad game, but none of the sequels have really surpassed Asylum for my money, and I want to see Rocksteady start again from scratch on something else (even if that something else is a Justice League, Superman or DC movie adaptation game).

I'm enjoying it, but if they put out another game that is the same again but biggerer in a couple of years I'll probably check out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:10 
UltraMod

I loved Asylum a lot. City I've just not got around to finishing - it's just more of the same but with more silly gadgets. I can't be arsed with this one or Origins.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:13 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I've played them all apart from Knight so far. Origins was a bit pap compared to City but I guess that's because City was so, so good.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:14 
Excellent Member

LewieP wrote:
I'm enjoying it, but if they put out another game that is the same again but biggerer in a couple of years I'll probably check out.

I feel pretty similar. If they brought out another game about the same size and complexity as City in a few years I'd be all over it because I still enjoy the core concepts a lot; with Knight though they've obviously felt the pressure to make it MOAR!!111!! and just pushed everything over the edge into 'annoying'. Which means they're pretty much fucked now because the idiotic mindset that equates 'more stuff' with 'better' means they couldn't scale it back at all without facing hordes of mouth breathing wankers bitching about value for money and other such twattery.

On a related note, Shadow of Mordor is currently the oldest item by far in my PS4 backlog but I'm slightly loathe to start it because apparently there are massive similarities between it and the Arkham games and I worry I'll still be feeling fatigue for that style of game from Knight. When I think about Knight my freshest memories are still those last combat missions that I totally gave up on because of the white-knuckle-frustration of the enemy type overload.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:16 
Excellent Member

TheVision wrote:
Origins was a bit pap compared to City but I guess that's because City was so, so good.

Well, no, it's arguably because it was handed off to a completely different dev team to turn out as a pretty transparent stop-gap while RockSteady got on with the job of making Arkham Knight.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:30 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Yeah, you're probably right.

Also, I've just finished the main story of Shadow of Mordor and while it is excellent, it is very similar to Arkham City. The combat is great fun and the bad guy characters are really well done but unless you're a massive fan of the Lord of the Rings then you probably will get fatigue from it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Apart from the Arkham Knight being a bit of a dull baddie, the story is really, really good.

I agree with the car. It's okay, but you have to drive it too much. Also I get really tired having to hold the L2 button down all the time to keep in tank mode. I should probably look to see if there's a control change for that.

There's not too much further they can go, and I do with they'd simplify it a bit, but I would suck off a homeless man if they made a co-op version.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:46 

Grim... wrote:
Also I get really tired having to hold the L2 button down all the time to keep in tank mode. I should probably look to see if there's a control change for that.
There is, I remember reading there's a switch in the options to make it a toggle instead of a hold. This is so significant it was in the rllmuk thread title for a while (which is where I saw it.)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:57 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Also I get really tired having to hold the L2 button down all the time to keep in tank mode. I should probably look to see if there's a control change for that.
There is, I remember reading there's a switch in the options to make it a toggle instead of a hold. This is so significant it was in the rllmuk thread title for a while (which is where I saw it.)

During the actual extended tank battles it becomes a pain to hold the button down but outside those specific sections I really liked that control scheme for switching between the 'run' and 'walk' modes for the Batmobile. Even though I knew there was a toggle mode I ended up staying with the original setup on purpose because it felt better to me in some situations.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:03 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Fucking hell, the
death of Barbara Gordon
was incredible!

They're really using
mind-Joker
well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 13:16 
Excellent Member

RE: your second spoiler there I totally agree and it was one of my favourite aspects.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 16:54 
SavyGamer

I agree on the second spoiler but also:
the twist regarding Arkham Knight's identity was predictably awful. A really bad twist.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 23:04 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Finished (the main story, at least, and a load of the side quests).

I really liked that! I think it was my favorite Batman game so far. The ending was excellent, and - in fact - I thought it was some grade A storytelling all the way through.

I didn't predict the twist like some others (although I certainly had an inkling), but that's maybe because I don't know the Batman comics as well as some others.

I think I'm going to hoover up the side quests (not all the riddler ones, though - fuck that) to find out what happens at the end end.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 23:08 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I think I got a bit of an odd visual bug in mine, though.

Near-end of game spoiler:
The bit where Barbara wasn't dead, and Batman rescues her and takes her to GCPD - my Batman was carrying no-one into the building, and he put his arm on no-one too when she was sat in the chair. I figured that Scarecrow was just making him imagine that Barbara was still alive, but then other characters interacted with her so I wasn't sure. Was she dead or not?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:56 
SavyGamer

I've jus finished it too, and done all the side quest except the riddler ones.

Yeah I like the end too, and a lot of the story. I think the twist was real bad, but liked most of the rest of it.

Btw to get the final ending you need to do all the riddler stuff. I've got like half of them already, and I guess I'll get the rest, but I am using a guide to find their locations and solutions when it is not obvious.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:26 

I'm a couple of hours in and I agree with most of the comments above. It's good, but it's not great, and the reason it's not great is because it's overstuffed. Too many moves, too many gadgets, too many side quests, too many upgrades to choose from, too many button presses to remember. For me, Asylum remains the best game in this series, because it has focus. I've compensated by putting it on Easy difficulty so I can ignore the stuff I don't like so much, which is a strategy I am finding to be quite pleasing.

The Batmobile is kinda neat in small doses in combat mode but too much of it or trying to drive it fast aren't so good. Races can fuck off. And it's probably killed the game for MrsDoc, who loved Asylum and City but hates driving in games.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:43 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

You can ignore the side quests, of course, but some of them are lots of fun (the serial killer, finding a cure, the missing firemen, teaching an apprentice).

Some are not (blow up mines). The watchtowers ones are meh-okay.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:44 
SavyGamer

They really frontloaded the Batmobile stuff way too much.

If you'd had a good chunk of time just being regular batman before you got the Batmobile, and more of that stuff was optional rather than mandatory, it would have helped a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 13:41 
UltraMod

I loved Asylum, but gave up with City as it just seemed to have too many gimmicky gadgets and it was too sprawling. This sounds like they've gone even further.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 13:43 
SavyGamer

Lonewolves wrote:
I loved Asylum, but gave up with City as it just seemed to have too many gimmicky gadgets and it was too sprawling. This sounds like they've gone even further.

Yep, very much so. There's good stuff in there, but it's spread thinner than ever.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 14:15 

"How do my enemies know who my friends are," mused The Batman, talking into the four foot holographic videoconferencing display projected from his glove.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 14:23 

Why are the Batmobile's Battyres covered in Batoil and Batteflon?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 20:53 

I just did a stealth section...

...in a tank.

Parts of this game are very not good.

Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next