Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Batman: Arkham Knight
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 23:16 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Sounds like my preference for how to deal with stealth sections.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:30 

No, I mean, that's how the game is designed. You use your tank to sneak up on another tank.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 18:39 

The Adventures Of Bruce Wayne: Dickhead Boss.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 20:21 

Well, that escalated quickly.

The riddler trophies are interesting, but there's far too many. The APCs and land mines can go do one. Hence: I have one last firefighter to find and then I'm done.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:53 
SavyGamer

I ended up using a guide to clean up the last of the riddler trophies.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:20 

Even with a guide, I have 200 of them to do. They're just not that interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:18 
Awesome
Yes

I found that in Arkham City I had a lot of collectable stuff left at the end that I wasn't interested in clearing up. If I get this one I might make sure I do them as I'm going along.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:07 
Comfortably Dumb

Mr Russell wrote:
I found that in Arkham City I had a lot of collectable stuff left at the end that I wasn't interested in clearing up. If I get this one I might make sure I do them as I'm going along.

The problem with City, and its more open environment than Asylum, is that you'd see a lot of Riddler trophies around the place but you weren't sure if you were doing something wrong when you failed to get them or it was because you hadn't picked up an ability yet that was needed. I imagine Arkham Knight only amplifies that problem, so I'll probably be giving it a miss.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:29 

devilman wrote:
The problem with City, and its more open environment than Asylum, is that you'd see a lot of Riddler trophies around the place but you weren't sure if you were doing something wrong when you failed to get them or it was because you hadn't picked up an ability yet that was needed. I imagine Arkham Knight only amplifies that problem, so I'll probably be giving it a miss.

I don't think I've seen any Riddler trophies that needed any gadgets that I didn't start the game with. I've done about 50 of about 250 of them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:43 

With regards to the game, I don't have much to add beyond the posts from other people upthread. The writing was mostly excellent

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
with The Joker being an obvious highlight, and Jason Todd still being a whiny dick a lowlight.

The biggest complaint I have isn't that the game is too large, per se. It's that the game seems to have been built by people who played Asylum and City to death really recently, and built on top of it. You know how any normal (decent) game builds over time, introducing new mechanics at the right pace so you've mastered the last one just as the next one comes along? To my mind the Batman games do that, but over the whole trilogy rather than within each game. The gadget/move list on starting City isn't far off where you ended up in Asylum, and the list at the start of Knight feels as complex as somewhere near the end of City, and then it gets more complicated from there. Maybe that's fine if you're a playtester who lived and breathed the games for months but I played them years ago and I've forgotten how they worked, so Knight was very close to overwhelming at first.

I was extremely glad I put it on Easy difficulty, which means I didn't have to sweat the brawling combat. That's where I have the least patience for the seventeen-dimensional game of rock-paper-scissors the game wants me to play, memorising which moves work on which enemy types. Predator combat, however, remains excellent, particularly once I'd reminded myself about the various tactical options of the various gadgets. I could see me doing some of the predator VR challenges.

There really are great new parts of the game mechanics in Knight, though. The sabotage gun is particularly good. I would have tremendous fun with it; sabotage the medic's healing kit, then hack a generator to explode and knock a guard out, then watch the medic get knocked out when he tries to revive the guard, and I'm laughing and laughing from the shadows. Fear takedowns are also great fun and even when it's a brawl against ten unarmed thugs they reward you taking your time to plan a stealthy approach and thin the herd before the fisticuffs start.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 21:49 

Did the "most of everything" ending, then watched the 100% ending on YouTube. Done.

Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3