Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 546 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Finish 52 Challenge 2014
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 19:23 
Paws for thought

1. Gone Home (PC)
2. 紙 (PC)
3. Dear Esther (PC)
4. The Stanley Parable (PC)
5. Brothers: A tale of how shit the dualshock 3 triggers are. (PS3)
6. Dark Souls 2 (PS3)
7. Saints Row 4 (PC)
8. Gunpoint (PC)
9. Muramasa (Vita)
10. Transistor (PS4)
Sadly nowhere even remotely near to Bastion in terms of goodness. Lacking in character, not at all sure what the plot was meant to be, weak hiding behind walls combat waiting for bars to refill (because you don't get enough of that in modern FPSs), utterly boring last part of the game topped off with an unfair boss fight. Disappointed.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 23:14 
Excellent Member

I'm not keeping up with this list but i'm going to add it up every now and then:

1. A New Beginning (PC) - Great point n' click adventure done in classic Lucasarts style. The plot, involving time traveling to save the earth from an environmental disaster is a bit preachy at time, but the puzzles were among the best i've seen in this genre.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 21:25 
Awesome
Yes

1) Mate In 1 (iOS)
2) Nonoku (iOS)
3) Tengami (iOS)
4) Broken Sword 5 Episode 1 (iOS)
5) Monument Valley (iOS)
6) Device 6 (iOS) - this is the one where it's a mix between a book and a puzzle. Fiendishly difficult, but good.
7) The Silent Age (iOS) - Very short point and click adventure where you shift time zones to complete the puzzles. Very worth it for free but no episode 2 yet and it's been over a year,

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 17:58 
Paws for thought

1. Gone Home (PC)
2. 紙 (PC)
3. Dear Esther (PC)
6. Dark Souls 2 (PS3)
7. Saints Row 4 (PC)
8. Gunpoint (PC)
9. Muramasa (Vita)
10. Transistor (PS4)
11. Child of Light (PS4)
Relatively simple RPG, very well presented (Crashing not withstanding) Probably would've got a bit bored of the mechanics had it continued for much longer though. Although I have a bone to pick... Astonished does not rhyme with Instead, and altering it to do so sounds stupid. (Indeed, if you don't like Rhyming, avoid this, it's entirely told as a fairy tale, with all the narrative complexity you would expect from the form)

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 20:11 
Bad Girl

List longening.

Saturnalian wrote:
1. Killer is Dead(PS3); 2. Beyond: Two Souls (PS3); 3. Badland (iOS); 4. Another World (iOS); 5. Borderlands 2 (PS3); 6. Prince of Persia Classic (iOS); 7. Ni No Kuni (PS3); 8. Don't Look Back (iOS); 9. Metro: Last Light (PS3); 10. Contrast (PS4); 11. Last of Us DLC (PS3); 12. Outlast (PS4); 13. Killzone 4 (PS4); 14. Rayman Run (iOS); 15. Dead Space 3 (PS3); 16. Brothers: A Tale of 2 Brothers (PS3); 17. Dark Souls 2 (PS3); 18. Shelter (PC); 19. The Stanley Parable (PC); 20. David (iOS); 21. Papers, Please (PC); 22. VVVVVV (PC); 23. Cave Story+ (PC); 24. Gone Home (PC); 25. Antichamber (PC)

26. The Swapper (PC) I've been loving my venture into the world of PC gaming by the way. It's been fab with lot's of fab little games of all types of fabness. Anyhoo, this has been one of my favourites. Again, I've never been a fan of puzzle games, but this had a nice gradual difficulty curve that let me enjoy the experience right up until...well, the time they introduced the gravity wells. Then it got too hard too fast for me. It wasn't a breeze before then but it seemed to take a steep climb in difficulty and it jarred me.

I actually reckon that this was the only mistake in the game. You are getting so close to the end; the story is ramping up; the pace of things happening is rising; events are closer together... yet between that, you get stuck on a few puzzles and the downhill race to the climax fails miserably on its arse. It really could have done with those difficult sections coming earlier or there being a much easier section after them where the end-game events take place so that downhill is uninterrupted as you push through each room to see what is going to happen next.

So for me, it's only failing was the end-game pacing cause everything else was spot on. Oh, cept for me being shit at puzzle games and having to resort to a wiki. Shit, I bet everyone does that these days.

Oh, and great ending by the way. In particular:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
"She's thrown herself off the cliff"

The Swapper: If you like puzzles you will like to solve these puzzles.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 18:26 
Paws for thought

1. Gone Home (PC)
2. 紙 (PC)
3. Dear Esther (PC)
6. Dark Souls 2 (PS3)
7. Saints Row 4 (PC)
8. Gunpoint (PC)
9. Muramasa (Vita)
10. Transistor (PS4)
11. Child of Light (PS4)
12. Stick it to the man (PS4)
Caused a few smirks, but sometimes seemed forced and uniform. Not the biggest fan of the art style, and the chase sections were a bit rubbish. But worth playing, particularly if you have it free

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 21:41 
Paws for thought

1. Gone Home (PC)
2. 紙 (PC)
3. Dear Esther (PC)
6. Dark Souls 2 (PS3)
7. Saints Row 4 (PC)
8. Gunpoint (PC)
9. Muramasa (Vita)
10. Transistor (PS4)
11. Child of Light (PS4)
13. Contrast (PS4)
A bit shit. The engine needed polishing some - the number of times the main mechani went a bit wrong was rather frustrating., the style was overly fussy and not well suited to a 3d Puzzler. And the writing was all over the place. And the girl was highly annoying. At least it was short. And Free.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:33 
Excellent Member

1. A New Beginning
2. Guacamelee! - Great metroidvania with absolutely memorable bossfights. Also amazing mexican influenced aesthetics and soundtrack.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 18:53 
Bad Girl

Saturnalian wrote:
List longening.

Saturnalian wrote:
1. Killer is Dead(PS3); 2. Beyond: Two Souls (PS3); 3. Badland (iOS); 4. Another World (iOS); 5. Borderlands 2 (PS3); 6. Prince of Persia Classic (iOS); 7. Ni No Kuni (PS3); 8. Don't Look Back (iOS); 9. Metro: Last Light (PS3); 10. Contrast (PS4); 11. Last of Us DLC (PS3); 12. Outlast (PS4); 13. Killzone 4 (PS4); 14. Rayman Run (iOS); 15. Dead Space 3 (PS3); 16. Brothers: A Tale of 2 Brothers (PS3); 17. Dark Souls 2 (PS3); 18. Shelter (PC); 19. The Stanley Parable (PC); 20. David (iOS); 21. Papers, Please (PC); 22. VVVVVV (PC); 23. Cave Story+ (PC); 24. Gone Home (PC); 25. Antichamber (PC) 26. The Swapper (PC)

27. Sine Mora (Vita) Great, albeit easy, bullet-hell-ish shooty shooter that doesn't quite work that well on the Vita's screen but, boy, it sure is a looker. I'd love to be able to say that the story was AWESOME for a shooter but I didn't get what was going on until I read about it after is finished it. And if I have to do that then, in my world, that's story telling gone wrong. The twist at the end (you can't say that about any other shooter, right?) was just a 'BUHWAAAH?' moment rather than a 'BUHWAHA!' moment.Good effort mind. Free, free, free on PS Plus! About 12 months ago.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 21:03 
Excellent Member

1. Mass Effect 3
2. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
3. Estranged
4. The Room 2
5. Little Inferno
6. Shadow Blade
7. Deus Ex: The Fall
8. Far Cry 3
9. Stick it to the Man
10. Gone Home
11. Fairune
12. Merlin's Adventure: a rock solid puzzle platformer for Android that I've been playing on and off for weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 13:06 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

1. South Park: Stick of Truth
2. Dark Forces 2: Jedit Knight (1997)

Yup, going strong.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 13:57 
Unpossible!

Pod wrote:

First game to give me vertigo. Oh man, the drops.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 14:12 
Paws for thought

DavPaz wrote:
Pod wrote:

Didn't have that effect on me.

The first game to do that was minecraft. :S

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 14:13 
UltraMod

Crackdown.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 14:14 
Paws for thought

British Nervoso wrote:
Crackdown.

I did think about that, but the superpowerness somewhat took the sting away.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 14:20 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 14:29 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

DavPaz wrote:
Pod wrote:

I was replaying that for a 'Book club' style thing on another forum. Other people complained of Vertigo. I can see why the large FOV, the insane speed you run at coupled with the realllllllllllllllllly large architecture would induce vertigo.

For me I did have a moment where my brain couldn't understand what was going on, and that was in a system of vents on level 10(?). There's a point where you stand on the intersection of really wide and tall vents going a long distance in all 6 directions (up/down/left/right/front/back), with wind currents from each one pushing you around so they're hard to get into. And as I was trying to get ALL THE SECRETS I tried to go down them all and got completely mind-fucked and lost, as the wind meant there was no "gravity" to reference or whatever. If it wasn't for the axis-lock I wouldn't know which way was "up". (Or maybe the axis-lock made it worse?). I don't know, but it felt like when I look at a really small graph paper very close up (or a very dense circuit board) and my brain just goes NO and explodes.

Grim... wrote:
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time for me.

I watched the movie the first time the other day, does that count?

(Actually, I only started watching half-way through, so I can't even add it to this list :'()

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 23:24 
Paws for thought

1. Gone Home (PC)
2. 紙 (PC)
3. Dear Esther (PC)
6. Dark Souls 2 (PS3)
7. Saints Row 4 (PC)
8. Gunpoint (PC)
9. Muramasa (Vita)
10. Transistor (PS4)
11. Child of Light (PS4)
13. Contrast (PS4)
14. Thief (PS4)
I think this would've got much better reviews had it not had the name Thief attached to it. Nearly didn't get it due to all the bad publicity it received, but it's actually rather good, and to my mind much of the complaining was somewhat spurious. Quite different from Dishonoured due to not having the same array of super powers or ability to fight, and the game is much darker. Certainly it managed to make me feel very uneasy in a way that dishonoured never did (Although not quite to the same degree as that level in Deadly Shadows). While somewhat more linear than the preceding titles, it's not as bad as, say, Zaphods thief 1/ thief 4 comparison map made out (That's a tutorial map, essentially, and it's not quite as simple as that drawing makes out. Later levels had me spend (what seemed like) hours studying areas before choosing the best possible way and making my way through them. Didn't feel overly different to playing Thief 3.
Total play time of 26 hours. Could have been quicker, but I was determined never to be seen and suitably plan my approach to be as nonviolent as possible.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:54 
Excellent Member

So I'm going to try and remember everything I've finished this year so far:

1. A New Beginning
2. Guacamelee!
3. Dark Souls - Most was played last year but i got stuck on Bed of Chaos. What an awful boss fight that was. Everybody knows how good this game is already, but i would have preferred for checkpoints before the boss fights
4. The Whispered World - One of the best point and click adventures i've ever played. Good puzzles for the most part and excellent graphics, atmosphere and story
5. The Book of Unwritten Tales - The Critter Chronicles - Average point n' click. Some nice jokes but also many illogical puzzles
6. Machinarium - Lovely little adventure. Great puzzles and graphics.
7. The Swapper - Excellent for about 3/4 of it. Amazing visuals and sound design, but the last few puzzles left a sour taste.
8. Heroine's Quest - Free Quest for Glory homage that is available on Steam. It really does manage to conjure the spirit of Sierra games right through the awful interface. I enjoyed it for a while but i was a bit bored by the end of it. There was also too many embarrassing attempts at humour.
9. Gemini Rue - Good point and click with nice story and logical (if mostly easy) puzzles.
10. Satazius - Wow! A shmup that i could actually finish on the default difficulty. I really liked this one. Not original at all but what it does, it does it well.
11. Valdis Story: Abyssal City - An excellent metroidvania that unfortunately didn't had much hype. Incredible fighting system.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 13:07 
Excellent Member

1. A New Beginning
2. Guacamelee!
3. Dark Souls
4. The Whispered World
5. The Book of Unwritten Tales - The Critter Chronicles
6. Machinarium
7. The Swapper
8. Heroine's Quest
9. Gemini Rue
10. Satazius
11. Valdis Story: Abyssal City
12. Dead Space 2

I was about to give up while midway through, since i was getting annoyed by the repetitive and linear gameplay and stupid plot. But the last few chapters had some great set pieces that made it worth it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 0:07 
Bad Girl

Backlog? What backlog?

Saturnalian wrote:
1. Killer is Dead(PS3); 2. Beyond: Two Souls (PS3); 3. Badland (iOS); 4. Another World (iOS); 5. Borderlands 2 (PS3); 6. Prince of Persia Classic (iOS); 7. Ni No Kuni (PS3); 8. Don't Look Back (iOS); 9. Metro: Last Light (PS3); 10. Contrast (PS4); 11. Last of Us DLC (PS3); 12. Outlast (PS4); 13. Killzone 4 (PS4); 14. Rayman Run (iOS); 15. Dead Space 3 (PS3); 16. Brothers: A Tale of 2 Brothers (PS3); 17. Dark Souls 2 (PS3); 18. Shelter (PC); 19. The Stanley Parable (PC); 20. David (iOS); 21. Papers, Please (PC); 22. VVVVVV (PC); 23. Cave Story+ (PC); 24. Gone Home (PC); 25. Antichamber (PC) 26. The Swapper (PC) 27. Sine Mora (Vita)

28. Touch My Katamari (Vita) I've never played one of these before despite how old they are so it's been 'interesting' to say the least. It's facking mental of course. It starts off mental but flattens out midway through where it becomes a fairly straightforward time attack game and starts to get a little stale but then gets more mental towards the end when you attempt to roll over everything in the world. Where "everything" consists of giant men fighting squids, cars playing football with a melon, pyramids than run away from you as you attempt to roll them over, Godzilla getting angry because he's surrounded by seagulls, King Kong fighting a sumo wrestler, rikshaws being pulled by gorillas and so on. Like the Statue of Liberty, UFO, a bear being chased by a crazed crane... oh you get the idea. I liked it but it needed more variety and less time attack levels. I especially liked the level "Which is better: cows or bears?" Fackin. Mental. But, yeah, it needed a bit more of that.

Side bar: It controls well especially since I avoided the touch controls which looks like they were dreamt up by Captain Hook before he lost his hand to DVT after playing this game with touch controls.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:21 
I forgot about this - how vain

Dr Lave wrote:
Finished in 2014
---------------------

Jan
1. COD: Ghosts [WIIU]. - Meh.
2. Don't look back [IOS: iPhone] - Ace.
Feb
3. New Super Mario Bros U [WIIU] - Incredible. Best 2D platformer I've ever played.
4. The Legend of Zelda: link between worlds[3DS] - all killer no filler Zelda. Cut to the prime.
5. VVVVVV [3DS] - one simple mechanic fully explored in 3hrs. Beautiful music, imagery and even story. Love it.
6. Attack of the Friday Monsters [3DS] - slight. Empty. But gibli childhood simulator.
Mar
7. The Last Of Us [PS3] - still recovering from the ending. So bloody good. HBO: The Game.
8. The Last of Us: Left Behind [PS3] - more of the same. Which is pretty much the greatest compliment possible.
9. Magic The Gathering 2014 [iOS: iPad] - lumbered with the most inelegant control scheme (which is a legacy of it's XBLA days) means it loses all of the tactial magic (hoho!) that should be present in a tablet version. Real shame.
10. Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations [DS] - It really shouldn't work - but it really does. Primarily because you care so much for the characters.
Apr
11. Guacamelee [vita - PS+] a fun so called metroidvania although it's far too linear to really be one. Wonderfully designed combat is the draw. Chaffless.
12. Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed [vita - PS+] despite being from Sumo I dismissed this game. Boy was I wrong. It's wonderful. Beautiful drifting. Not sure it would have grabbed me as much on the big screen though. Perfect for portable.
13. Luftrausers [vita] a perfect amount of scope.
14. Hotline Miami [PS3 & vita] the controls are a learning curve, but it comes alive on the vita thanks to tap targeting.
May
Nothing - due to the Dark (Soul 2) Ages. But probably played more time wise than any other month.

June
15. Mario Kart 8 [Wii U] - Reached the credits via a gold in each cup (but mainly 50cc) and damn I'm going to count it, because otherwise it'll never count as finished. It may be as good as double dash and I've been playing that for a decade. Pushing next to unlock mirror (EDIT: Done). Also makes Sonic and All Stars seem so rough and unpolished in its track design. Which would have been unthinkable last month.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 21:13 
UltraMod

1. LA Noire (PC) - story, all DLC cases and some collectibles
2. Lego Marvel Super Heroes (PS3) - 100% & platinum trophy
3. OlliOlli (Vita) - all amateur and pro levels five-starred
4. The Last of Us (PS3) - NG+ and Left Behind DLC
5. The Lego Movie (PS3) - 100% & platinum trophy
6. Brothers: a Tale of Two Sons (PS3) - trophy max
7. Luftrausers (Vita) - level 10, all parts unlocked, blimp destroyed and SFMT mode unlocked
8. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS3) - main mission + all Side and Extra Ops
9. Divekick (Vita) - story mode
10. MotorStorm: Apocalypse (PS3) - Veteran difficulty 100%
11. Mario Kart 8 (Wii U) - Gold kart

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 19:25 
Paws for thought

1. Gone Home (PC)
2. 紙 (PC)
3. Dear Esther (PC)
6. Dark Souls 2 (PS3)
7. Saints Row 4 (PC)
8. Gunpoint (PC)
9. Muramasa (Vita)
10. Transistor (PS4)
11. Child of Light (PS4)
13. Contrast (PS4)
14. Thief (PS4)
15. Mario Kart 8 (WiiU)
By Dr Laves logic, I've completed it anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 13:47 
Excellent Member

1. Mass Effect 3
3. Estranged
4. The Room 2
5. Little Inferno
6. Shadow Blade
8. Far Cry 3
9. Stick it to the Man
10. Gone Home
11. Fairune
12. Merlin's Adventure
13. Dokuro: a puzzle-platformer that's an Android conversion of a Vita game. It was alright; a decent length due to being a 'proper' console game originally, but it suffered from inconsistent difficulty (a lot of levels being either insulting easy or brain-meltingly difficult). It had some original ideas and nice presentation but in the end it went on for so long I was actually quite glad when I finished it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 14:49 
Excellent Member

1. A New Beginning
2. Guacamelee!
3. Dark Souls
4. The Whispered World
6. Machinarium
7. The Swapper
8. Heroine's Quest
9. Gemini Rue
10. Satazius
12. Dead Space 2
13. Far Cry 3 - This was excellent. It's impressive that a game that does so many things does them better than other smaller, apparently more focused games. The combat is excellent, particularly the feel of the shotguns that may be the best i've experienced since the original Doom. Also stealth is surprisingly good.
It's also hilarious, like when killing wildlife to make wallets and purses and also seeing a tiger attack an outpost and killing all the oposition for us.

The plot is mostly ok for a video games, except for some uncomfortable colonialist/slightly racist vibes, but the characters and the script were much better that was is usual in games of this type

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 18:32 
Excellent Member

1. Mass Effect 3
3. Estranged
4. The Room 2
5. Little Inferno
6. Shadow Blade
8. Far Cry 3
9. Stick it to the Man
10. Gone Home
11. Fairune
12. Merlin's Adventure
13. Dokuro
14. Tiny & Big: Grandpa's Leftovers. This was fun for most of the game but lost it a bit on the last level by sticking you in a very confined space with a single route through; which which pretty much wastes the fun tools the game gives you. It's still very much worth playing but it's crying out for a sequel with level design that makes better use of the central mechanics.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 19:51 
Excellent Member

1. Mass Effect 3
3. Estranged
4. The Room 2
5. Little Inferno
6. Shadow Blade
8. Far Cry 3
9. Stick it to the Man
10. Gone Home
11. Fairune
12. Merlin's Adventure
13. Dokuro
14. Tiny & Big: Grandpa's Leftovers
15. Monument Valley: beautiful and awesome but incredibly short and very easy; I was expecting more challenging puzzles from it as the design and game engine would certainly bear it. Still well worth playing though.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 20:38 
Bad Girl

Saturnalian wrote:
1. Killer is Dead(PS3); 2. Beyond: Two Souls (PS3); 3. Badland (iOS); 4. Another World (iOS); 5. Borderlands 2 (PS3); 6. Prince of Persia Classic (iOS); 7. Ni No Kuni (PS3); 8. Don't Look Back (iOS); 9. Metro: Last Light (PS3); 10. Contrast (PS4); 11. Last of Us DLC (PS3); 12. Outlast (PS4); 13. Killzone 4 (PS4); 14. Rayman Run (iOS); 15. Dead Space 3 (PS3); 16. Brothers: A Tale of 2 Brothers (PS3); 17. Dark Souls 2 (PS3); 18. Shelter (PC); 19. The Stanley Parable (PC); 20. David (iOS); 21. Papers, Please (PC); 22. VVVVVV (PC); 23. Cave Story+ (PC); 24. Gone Home (PC); 25. Antichamber (PC) 26. The Swapper (PC) 27. Sine Mora (Vita)

28. Pixeljunk: Shooter Ultimate (PS4) Yeah, it's pretty great. My only complaint is that it should have been harder. It was almost too pleasant and easy to roll through notwithstanding some challenging boss fights. In fact, the last level with light and dark environments was easily the hardest of the lot and all the better for it. I wanted more enemies, more bullets coming at 'cha, more harderest. It's strange because the last few bosses aren't a walk in the park at all and there's even a bullet hell boss. It's like they saved up the toughest challenges for the bosses when they could have easily made each level swarm with more baddies pew pew pew'ing your face off as you dance around trying to find the little fanny-men hiding in the corners of the map.

They might have made some areas unfinishable if you shoot the wrong bit of water/lava whatever in the wrong order without scoping out what they wanted you to do, but no, it seems that every level is designed to be finished quickly without ever getting stuck at a dead end if you don't do the level "properly". It's too pleasant then. It's trying hard to please so you never get stuck and you come back to find all the hidden diamonds or whatever.

I shouldn't really complain though because there's a fair amount of game in there. It certainly won't take a couple of hours to finish and I must have fannied about for a good 8 hours or so collecting a total of 429 diamonds. I'm going to guess there were 450. Anyway, I'm not going back to mop up the remaining ones and finding the remaining secret stuff because, y'know, it's boring and I've got plenty of other games to play, but if you're into that and getting all your cheevo's then I imagine that this'd keep you more than busy.

That makes it sound rubbish. It ain't. It's brill! And free! FREEEEE! For PS4 owners.

To summarise: If you like Thrust and always wanted water/lava/liquid metal/light and dark physics and to shoot and collect stuff then you'll love this game that's just like Thrust with water/lava/liquid metal/light and dark physics and shooting and collecting stuff.

And, let's face it, there's no higher praise than that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 23:23 

1. Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
  2. Pikmin 2 (Gamecube)
  3. Heavy Rain (PS3)
  4. Dear Esther (PC)
  5. Crysis Warhead (PC)
  6. Batman: Arkham Asylum (Xbox 360)
  7. RE5: Lost in Nightmares (Xbox 360)
  8. Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War (PC)
  9. RE5: Desperate Escape (Xbox 360)
  10. F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin (PC)
  11. The Room (Android)
  12. Assassin's Creed II (Xbox 360)
Frustrating controls at times, where it seems impossible to point the analog stick exactly in the right direction for a vital jump, partially due to the camera swinging about at just the wrong time. Still, I got it to 95% completed and did all optional missions so it must have been compelling, I suppose. Story is bland throughout, but then the end is very interesting and makes you want to see what's next.

Bleeding edge, I am.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 15:00 

2. Pikmin 2 (Gamecube)
  3. Heavy Rain (PS3)
  4. Dear Esther (PC)
  5. Crysis Warhead (PC)
  11. The Room (Android)
  13. Burnout Paradise (PC)
Played until the credits (and will continue to play). I already did this on Xbox 360 a long time ago, of course, but now that I've spent all those hours doing it again on the PC, I'm listing it. It seems I will never get tired of this game. It's getting to where I think it might be my #1 video game of all time, and it is most definitely my #1 driving game of all time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:53 
Excellent Member

1. A New Beginning
2. Guacamelee!
3. Dark Souls
4. The Whispered World
6. Machinarium
7. The Swapper
8. Heroine's Quest
9. Gemini Rue
10. Satazius
12. Dead Space 2
13. Far Cry 3
14. Call of Juarez - Gunslinger - I know that this game had some quite positive reviews, but it's just not enough. It's probably the best linear shooter that i've ever played. The game is just perfect. Lovely presentation and story, and some of the best graphics, in artistic terms, that i've seen on a game of this kind. It's a bit like a more realistic Borderlands, but the effect is much better. And the shooting itself is brilliant. Well, just play it, it's cheap.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:59 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

RuySan wrote:
14. Call of Juarez - Gunslinger - I know that this game had some quite positive reviews, but it's just not enough. It's probably the best linear shooter that i've ever played. The game is just perfect. Lovely presentation and story, and some of the best graphics, in artistic terms, that i've seen on a game of this kind. It's a bit like a more realistic Borderlands, but the effect is much better. And the shooting itself is brilliant. Well, just play it, it's cheap.

Have you played the others in the series? If I were to buy one (for PC), which one is BEST?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:11 
Excellent Member

I did not played any other in the series, but i remember seeing a friend of mine playing one of the older ones and it seemed boring, with some forced stealth segments.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 16:17 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I played and completed Call of Juarez: Bound in blood and I seem to remember enjoying it quite a lot at the time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 20:33 
Excellent Member

[quote="RuySan"]1. A New Beginning
2. Guacamelee!
3. Dark Souls
4. The Whispered World
6. Machinarium
7. The Swapper
8. Heroine's Quest
9. Gemini Rue
10. Satazius
12. Dead Space 2
13. Far Cry 3
14. Call of Juarez - Gunslinger
15.Brothers – A Tale of two Sons – Absolutely lovely. One of the best games I’ve ever played. I know I’m all hyperbolic in this thread but I don’t finish games that I don’t like, so obviously most reviews are positive.

This is one of those unique experiences that everyone should try. It’s an adventure and puzzler, but it’s not hard, and it’s actually for the better. The story and the atmosphere is completely gripping and it’s full of unforgettable moments and details. It’s impressive how a game that only took me 3 hours to finish feels so epic. There’s no padding at all and it never gets dull.

There are some “side-quests” that makes us want to do them, not because of loot, or stupid numbers going up, but just because we want to do them, and because it’s the right thing. This game is a lesson to all the big blockbusters, or AAA, or whatever they’re called nowadays. The story is incredibly touching and the delivery is done without almost any kind of exposition or cutscenes, mostly is done through gameplay.

And I even didn’t mention the brilliant control system. It’s a single player co-op! One analogue stick for each character, which I suppose makes for an excellent exercise for wannabe drummers.

Well, it made me laugh, it made me shed a tear and it made feel like a child again. Just play this game.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:03 
Excellent Member

1. Mass Effect 3
3. Estranged
4. The Room 2
5. Little Inferno
6. Shadow Blade
8. Far Cry 3
9. Stick it to the Man
10. Gone Home
11. Fairune
12. Merlin's Adventure
13. Dokuro
15. Monument Valley
16. Random Heroes 2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:08 
Bad Girl

Saturnalian wrote:
1. Killer is Dead(PS3); 2. Beyond: Two Souls (PS3); 3. Badland (iOS); 4. Another World (iOS); 5. Borderlands 2 (PS3); 6. Prince of Persia Classic (iOS); 7. Ni No Kuni (PS3); 8. Don't Look Back (iOS); 9. Metro: Last Light (PS3); 10. Contrast (PS4); 11. Last of Us DLC (PS3); 12. Outlast (PS4); 13. Killzone 4 (PS4); 14. Rayman Run (iOS); 15. Dead Space 3 (PS3); 16. Brothers: A Tale of 2 Brothers (PS3); 17. Dark Souls 2 (PS3); 18. Shelter (PC); 19. The Stanley Parable (PC); 20. David (iOS); 21. Papers, Please (PC); 22. VVVVVV (PC); 23. Cave Story+ (PC); 24. Gone Home (PC); 25. Antichamber (PC) 26. The Swapper (PC) 27. Sine Mora (Vita) 28. Pixeljunk: Shooter Ultimate (PS4)

29. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs (PC) I'll be honest - I just didn't get it. I wasn't terrified, it wasn't scared, I was barely mildly amused. I've kinda liked these horror games ever since FEAR showed me that games can actually be weird and scary and Outlast, another scary-walk about-a-thon, has been one of the more memorable games I've played in a while. This though, nope, just couldn't enjoy it. It started off alright but I didn't understand the story properly and couldn't really enjoy the setting. So when the twist was revealed 80% through I sat there thinking "meh". For all the exposition in the letters found strewn about the place, the talk of the HORRORS of creating pig men was never really on display. It was difficult to imagine the giant titleist machine or what it was doing or how it was supposed to be doing it.

It was all a bit bland, the rooms a bit samey, the environment swamped with a hazy blue or brown hue depending on whether you're inside or outside, pipe after pipe, office after office, corridor after corridor, non-menacing pigs, push four of these, get two of these, find one of these over there which'll talk you a while cause you walk so slowly. Man alive, these things have been done to death.

And the ending? Let me just say these words: Orb. Incan prophecy. Yup, they went there. I had to look up what the ending was about because I must have missed this crap along the way or didn't realise what was happening.

Nah, play Outlast, it's better and scarier. Or FEAR. You can get the entire FEAR catalogue in the steam sales for cheaps. I didn't realise that I've played absolutely every single one of them. I like FEAR.

30. 9.03m (PC) Oh, and then I played this for a while. It's an 'experience' game where you roam a beach on San Francisco looking for objects washed ashore caused from the 2011 Japanese tsunami; a child's teddy, a football, a music box and so on. It only lasts 10 minutes but it did provide a moment of quiet reflection for the people who lost their lives. Half of the money raised from 9.03m is being donated to Aid for Japan who are a charity that helps children who lost their parents that day. Despite that it's difficult to recommend and you could quietly reflect just as easily reading a book or any number of the articles on the subject online.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 19:20 
Excellent Member

The first FEAR is indeed a fantastic game. It has probably the best gunfights in the genre. It's so good that the slo-mo thing wasn't even needed, but it feels great to use that and see bullets passing by.

The second FEAR was a total bore and i gave up. It left me without any hope that the third would be any good.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 13:31 

I thought FEAR 2 was just as good as the first one. Neither is the pinnacle of the genre, IMO, they are both a bit too repetitive and long winded in the way they lead you to every inch of map in a totally linear manner, but still very enjoyable. And 2 has some excellent spook effects.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 13:43 
UltraMod

lasermink wrote:
I thought FEAR 2 was just as good as the first one. Neither is the pinnacle of the genre, IMO, they are both a bit too repetitive and long winded in the way they lead you to every inch of map in a totally linear manner, but still very enjoyable. And 2 has some excellent spook effects.

I never played the second one as I felt the first was 'just enough' before I got totally fed up with it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 15:33 
Bad Girl

It's certainly a series of diminishing returns but every-single-one of them has been a terrific spooky blaster. FEAR 2 was actually a really good update with improved graphics and pew-pew after FEAR was actually quite basic looking. Some good scares in there, but I don't think you can beat the first for pure old school shootering.

Oh, and that ending. Loved it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 16:44 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

1. South Park: Stick of Truth
3. Infested Planet.

Short game, but great. I picked it up in the Steam sale. It has a skirmish and daily challenge mode that I'll probably keep playing as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 22:03 
Excellent Member

1. Mass Effect 3
3. Estranged
4. The Room 2
5. Little Inferno
6. Shadow Blade
8. Far Cry 3
9. Stick it to the Man
10. Gone Home
11. Fairune
12. Merlin's Adventure
13. Dokuro
15. Monument Valley
16. Random Heroes 2
17. Contrast

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:47 

2. Pikmin 2 (Gamecube)
  3. Heavy Rain (PS3)
  4. Dear Esther (PC)
  5. Crysis Warhead (PC)
  11. The Room (Android)
  14. Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons (PC)
Wonderful graphics, sound and music. An experienced gamer can finish it in about 3 hours without meeting too much of a challenge, but you feel awesome controlling two characters at the same time. The story and side stories make it a beautiful, melancholic experience. In the final part, story and game come together in a way that is quite ingenious. Dear Esther, eat your heart out! Finally, it does have a dozen secrets, and I only found half of those (you could do better by checking the achievements in advance if you wanted to, but that would rather spoil them).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:30 
Excellent Member

lasermink wrote:
but you feel awesome controlling two characters at the same time. .

Indeed. The game is filled with "Hell yeah!" moments, like

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Riding the goats or the hanglider

Another one for the list:

16. Steamworld Dig – It’s basically Spelunky meets Dig Dug, and while the basic gameplay elements are fine and it’s undoubtedly a fun game, I found that something was lacking. Maybe charm, as the graphic style looks a bit characterless. It was also very short, but I don’t mind that. There’s plenty of other games in the backlog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 18:07 

2. Pikmin 2 (Gamecube)
  3. Heavy Rain (PS3)
  4. Dear Esther (PC)
  5. Crysis Warhead (PC)
  11. The Room (Android)
  14. Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons (PC)
  15. The Stanley Parable (PC)
Got 3 hours out of this, but there almost certainly more stuff there that I haven't seen. I thought it was entertaining with some LOL moments. There is a free demo on Steam that will let you know whether you will like it or not without actually spoiling the game in any way.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:24 
Bad Girl

Saturnalian wrote:
1. Killer is Dead(PS3); 2. Beyond: Two Souls (PS3); 3. Badland (iOS); 4. Another World (iOS); 5. Borderlands 2 (PS3); 6. Prince of Persia Classic (iOS); 7. Ni No Kuni (PS3); 8. Don't Look Back (iOS); 9. Metro: Last Light (PS3); 10. Contrast (PS4); 11. Last of Us DLC (PS3); 12. Outlast (PS4); 13. Killzone 4 (PS4); 14. Rayman Run (iOS); 15. Dead Space 3 (PS3); 16. Brothers: A Tale of 2 Brothers (PS3); 17. Dark Souls 2 (PS3); 18. Shelter (PC); 19. The Stanley Parable (PC); 20. David (iOS); 21. Papers, Please (PC); 22. VVVVVV (PC); 23. Cave Story+ (PC); 24. Gone Home (PC); 25. Antichamber (PC) 26. The Swapper (PC) 27. Sine Mora (Vita) 28. Pixeljunk: Shooter Ultimate (PS4) 29. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs (PC) 30. 9.03m (PC)

31. Stick it to the Man (PS4). Art style was nice, music was nice, voice acting was nice, story was nice, the use of the PS4 controller speaker was nice, controls nice (You "could" use the trackpad but what a bloody mess that was. If any game adopts the trackpad as the primary method of input then they better do a significantly better job of it) (fortunately you don't need to use it at all. Yay!) and so on.

But it's so boring and I know exactly why: everyone talks too slow. Honestly, at the pedestrian speed at which the lines are delivered any humour that might have been derived quickly evaporates as the next pregnant pause comes along. Every-single-line-uttered. It should have been fast and sharp and funny, but it falls terribly flat. I swear, they could have got more laughs if they read the lines with intent. A real shame because there was some decent material in there that was squandered so I can imagine that 9 out of 10 people will walk away from it thinking that it was just "meh". I'm one of them.

I notice that the cheevo's are piss easy and just require you to talk to everyone. If you're into that kind of thing then there's a gold at the end of it. I missed a fair few and I'll be damned if I could be bothered to go back.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:27 
Bad Girl

FYI: If you're aiming for 52 games this year then you should be on 26 by now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 18:21 
Paws for thought

Yeah, the speed up speech button did somewhat help that.

Reply to topic  [ 546 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next