Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Alien : Isolation
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 17:54 
Excellent Member

only GAME :facepalm: in the UK has the Ripley edition which includes both DLC off the bat

New console £54.99
Old shit and PC £37.99

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 18:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I get the feeling they are as annoyed about this as we are.

I replied to their tweet about where you can get the extra pre-order stuff asking if doing it through their own website was a mistake, and they favorited it :S

Here's the whole conversation: https://twitter.com/Grimdotdotdot/statu ... 1767287809

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:41 
Excellent Member

In any case you'll be able to buy the dlc so don't sweat it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:04 
Decapodian

Trooper wrote:
markg wrote:
Sounds amazing. You wouldn't catch me playing System Shock 2 on one of those things. It was bad enough on a shitty old CRT.

I don't play scary games (or watch scary films really) as i'm too much of a wuss, but interestingly not because of my "lizard brain" response. I'm actually pretty much unshockable when it comes to things like that, my fear comes from what I imagine rather than what I experience.

The acid test for the difference in fear response types is The Blair Witch Project I find, personally that shit me right up :D

Blair Witch can make my skin crawl every time. There's an outdoor screening in a forest near me, but annoyingly I'd already booked a holiday that week.
http://picniccinema.co.uk/wyre-blair-witch/

In terms of games, I had to stop playing Outlast on the PS4 as it was just too damn tense.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 17:03 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... video-game

Quote:
Sigourney Weaver on Alien: Isolation – 'It's going to be wild'

They say don't meet your heroes – and usually they're right. Work on a film magazine for a few weeks and you soon discover that the actors you once idolised are often spoiled, petulant monsters who would rather be anywhere else in the world than in stuffy hotel room answering your dumb questions.

Then Sega asked if I wanted to interview Sigourney Weaver.

Due out in October, Alien: Isolation is a terrifying survival horror video game, set 15 years after the events of Ridley Scott's original movie. A remote space station has picked up a distress call from the Nostromo and now contact has been lost with the facility. In an ironic act, Weylan Yutani has sent out Ripley's daughter Amanda to investigate. When she arrives, she discovers something has gotten on board the dark and claustrophobic station. Something … alien.

Early previews of the game have been hugely positive – it is a nightmarishly tense adventure; with Ripley playing a long cat-and-mouse game against a cruelly relentless xenomoprh sporting advanced artificial intelligence. There are no pulse rifles, no massive shoot-outs. Just exploration and fear.
Return of the Nostromo gang

In July, Sega announced that developer Creative Assembly would be adding two bonus missions, both set during the original Alien movie. In "Crew Expendable" the player selects one of three characters then takes part in the action just after Brett's death, the aim being to lure the monster into an airlock. In "Last Survivor" you're Ripley, desperately activating the self-destruct sequence before legging it to the Narcissus shuttle. Most of the cast returned to record new dialogue for the sequences. Including Weaver.

I said yes, I would like to interview her. But I was worried.

Ripley, and by extension Weaver, is my teenage hero. I watched Alien with my parents when I was far too young, on an old VHS rental copy; then when I was 13, I snuck in to the cinema to watch James Cameron's sequel, a brilliant, terrifying experience that had me sleeping with the blankets over my mouth (to protect me from face huggers) for several months. I sort of enjoyed Alien 3, I tolerated Resurrection.

I always thought Weaver as Ripley was amazing, though: tough, enigmatic, physical, guarded. She was the perennial outsider, her crew distrusted her, and later the marines and prisoners abused her. But she always knew better. Something in my fragile and lonely teen self related to that. I wanted to be Ripley.
The terror of video game conversions

For her part, Weaver was nervous about the game. She's been here before. "Oh yes. I've been approached a number of times to do video games, but this was different - it had so much story, so much character, it was sort of more emotional and at the same time, it seemed like it would be a very visceral experience. You have to go through that ship on your own - it's going to be wild for people to do that.

"The film has really held up - I think because of the way Ridley shot it – and it really takes that material... it's a homage to what he did so brilliantly, but it also takes it in a really creative direction."

Of course, you could argue that any actor is going to say this about their latest project. But then, heck, Weaver doesn't need the money, she doesn't need to curry favour with Sega, she doesn't need to be in a stuffy hotel room in New York talking to a series of journalists. But on time, and with a small group of staff, she walks in, smiling and welcoming to everyone. She speaks with passion and interest about the game, and about how it reminded her of the original movie.

Which is exactly the effect Creative Assembly was hoping for.
Reanimating the Alien

The team has been obsessive about recrafting the retro-futuristic look of Scott's set design. When work began on the game, Fox opened its huge Alien archive to the developers and they trawled it at great length.

"There was a lot of stuff that hadn't been in the public domain before," enthuses Hope. "Everything from blueprints to continuity polaroids, to photographs of the set from different angles, which gave us an amazing insight into how the environment was constructed. We were all really familiar with the film but it wasn't until we got the archive that we saw high resolution images of things like the costumes. It means we could study and understand them, and then replicate them in the game."

He's in no doubt about what his favourite discovery was. "[Fox] found an eight-track reel and didn't know what it was - it was in the bottom of an old cardboard box that hadn't been opened for 35 years. I just said, I don't care, just send it to us. It was the original sound effects archives - lots of weird noises, moaning sounds - you even had the 1970s British sound engineers calling out the take numbers prior to the recordings. We could take that source material and put it in the game."

So how did Weaver feel treading those dark corrifors once again? "Oh, it was so spooky!" she laughs. "I spent so much time in those corridors and huge hangers. Films take so long to shoot, and as a young actor I was constantly wandering around and thinking, gosh, how great it is that they've built these wonderful sets for us, not thinking that it's really for the viewer.

"But yes, it took me back - the attention to detail, especially to Ridley's humorous often bizarre little touches, the odd little toys and gizmos - they really worked hard to get that. It seems like a labour of love."
No such thing as franchises

I ask her if she realised at the time that Alien would be a phenomena, that it would last. As an actor, she had been reticent at first about taking on a sci-fi role. She'd studied drama at Yale, famously with Meryl Streep, starring in a succession of avant garde and classical theatre productions. She didn't want to be Princess Leia.

"I remember Ridley pulled out some sketches of the sets and the alien itself, and the eggs... I realised I'd never seen anything like this in a film. I just thought, I want to be part of that.

But in those days, you never really thought about creating a franchise. What we were interested in was taking this very sparse script and, with a wonderful group of actors, bringing people into space, in this very new way. It was space as a real environment, a working environment, with people griping and bitching. It was no longer this sleek Kubrick-style sterile environment, it wasn't fantastical."

Indeed, Scott famously went to great lengths to make life difficult for the actors, hoping to accentuate the troublesome relationships between the characters. He had the set built as a claustrophobic complex of small rooms and narrow corridors, just so they couldn't get away from each other.

And he wound them up. Before interviewing Weaver, I spoke to the game's creative lead, Al Hope, who said that during the voice recording sessions, the cast happily gossiped about the filming process. "Yaphet Kotto, who played Parker, was talking about how Ridley Scott had told him to antagonise Sigourney off camera," says Hope. "He wanted them to be at each others throats."
It was not about feminism

I talk to Weaver about how she got the role of Ripley and her legendary audition (she was originally up for the role of Lambert, but her performance led to a last-minute switch). And of course, Ripley's famous gender switch. "In the original script that they bought, it was all male characters. Walter Hill and David Giler changed it... but having Ripley as a woman wasn't a big feminist statement - they thought no-one will ever guess this girl will end up being the hero. That's why they did it – for the surprise factor."

Now, of course, the surprise factor is gone, but the Alien: Isolation team had the sensible idea of maintaining a female lead – with an obvious candidate. "When we started it felt like it had to be a female character - it's such a large part of the universe," says Hope. "We were extremely fortunate that we already had a character, Amanda, whose story hadn't been told. She is in no way a clone of her mother, but she does share some of those traits: courage, perseverance and clarity of thought under pressure."

Weaver loved the idea. "I thought it was wonderful – very daring," she exclaims. "I found it touching, too - I mean, I didn't even know she had a daughter until Jim Cameron created one for me. The idea that never having seen each other, Amanda would go into space, follow in her mother's footsteps... it was very moving to me."
Fear and reproduction

We go on to talk about the alien itself – what it is about that monster that still scares people. When Creative Assembley showed a demo of the game at E3 running on the Oculus Rift virtual reality headset, one attendee ripped the device off in terror and fled the room.

Interestingly, Weaver says that Scott kept her well away from the actor who inhabited the alien suit ("I never saw him sitting down drinking a tea") – she barely saw the monster until that climatic scene in the shuttle. That has fed something in her, a fascination that she's been playing out ever since.

"I guess what interests me about the alien is that I still don't know what it wants," she says. "I feel like it's not interested in eating me, it is interested in me for reproduction, but there's much more going on - it's a much more multidimensional creature than a regular horror film. It's the implication that there are species out there like this. What do we as humans... I mean, what will we have to deal with that?"
We play as we dream... alone

Weaver doesn't play video games, but she seems interested in them. She has played Alien: Isolation, of course ("The flame-thrower is very good," she drawls) and is intrigued by the immersive story-telling possibilities of the medium.

"I think there's a whole new world, a bigger world, of using gaming to enter into stories and experiences," she says. That's going to be incredibly satisfying... the idea that you could enter into perhaps famous stories – you could enter into the world of Kubla Khan – I think that sounds fascinating. You could enter the movie in your own mind, you could enter great pieces of literature. I think there's a huge horizon there - I think many people will be seduced by this experience. It's unique and very, very exciting."

All through my life I have watched the Alien films, studied the critical theory (especially Barbara Creed on the "Monstrous Feminine") and played Alien games. I played the original Alien movie conversion on Commodore 64, a challenging and atmospheric action RPG that, like Isolation, never really allowed you to kill the monster – if you saw it, you were dead. I played the okay Aliens game from Electric Dreams Software, a prototype first-person shooter with jump shocks aplenty. None of them got close to the sheer, trembling terror that seems so natural to Alien Isolation. Of course there are worries about whether this can be maintained over a whole game; we've only seen a fraction of it – we've got to keep things in perspective. Other promising Alien games have crashed horribly, as Sega well knows. But right now, it's not hard to see why Weaver committed to this one.
It's like 1979 all over again

After the interview, I step out into the hotel corridor, shaking and excited. Al Hope is out there waiting. He tells me that a huge cheer went up throughout the studio when they got the call from Fox confirming that Weaver and the other actors would be coming back. "Recording them was an unforgettable experience," he says. "When we started, we had a dream we could do something like this, and to have those actors reprise their roles, some of them for the first time, it was magical.

"When they went into the sound booths and started recording their lines, it felt like being transported back 35 years to when we first heard Veronica Cartwright screaming, 'get out of there!'."

Weaver does another few interviews. Everyone comes out the same – elated, trembling, smiling. She is engaging and funny, and disarmingly friendly. She happily has her photo taken with some of the interviewers, and she didn't mind that one of my questions was actually a meandering and pretentious theory about Freudian messaging. I've interviewed actors before, plenty of them, but I was starstruck this time. Just utterly starstruck. When I left the room, along with elation, there was relief.

Sometimes, it turns out, it's okay to meet your heroes. Sometimes they're Sigourney Weaver.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 21:50 
Bad Girl

Quote:
Sega asked "You're a sweaty gaming journalist, right?" and I just erupted into sweat and hormones as I'd been found out.

I was then subjected to a quiz about the Aliens movies and I scored 10/10 surprising absolutely no one when I described the trigger guard on a pulse rifle for the perfect score.

It was a toss up whether I was going to write a glowing report on the new Aliens game as I had already been flown over to play a game or whether I was going to shoot my proverbial muck all over the page about how awesome it was fooling no one at all.

Sega then asked "Have you ever met a movie star?"

"A rhetorical question surely?" I chuckled to myself.

Then it happened.

A female. A movie star. But more than that she was a female movie star. The reveal was too much and I leaked fluid all down my inside leg. I knew that my write up of Aliens: Isolation was going to be a load of old moldy sausage drippings but now I had to make it special. Special for my love. She was a a wrinkly MILF, yes, but she was my wrinkly MILF. I knew this would be the best game ever without having to play it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 23:23 
Sitting balls-back folder

Weaver has way too much invested to be reliable. Been that way for decades.

I don't get the praise she recives for Ripley either, I love the films despite her performances not because of them.

Apart from Resurrection. She's not the worst thing about resurrection.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 23:38 
Isn't that lovely?

What the Fuck?

What the Holy Fuck?

Weaver is amazing in both Alien and Aliens. She is pretty good in Alien 3 too!

I can't think of a duff film she has done (I am sure she has done some, I just can't think of one.)

How many female leads had their been before 1979 that had such an impact as she did? she doesn't scream and wait for a man to come and save her. She deals with the situation in her own way.

Malc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 17:25 
Sitting balls-back folder

That's the script. Her acting is awful.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 15:31 
Bad Girl

Believe. The. Hype.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 15:35 

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
In terms of games, I had to stop playing Outlast on the PS4 as it was just too damn tense.

The P.T. Demo has that effect on me. I haven't got through it, because every time I put it on I play for 10 minutes tops before thinking "fuck this" and turning it off. Something about it properly gives me the willies.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 15:43 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Saturnalian wrote:
Believe. The. Hype.

SQUEE!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 20:01 
Bad Girl

I don't know how they'll fill an entire game with sneaking about but from the ten-odd minutes I played today I'm getting this DAY ONE. The Alien is, no lie, perfect.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 21:45 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Well, d'uh. Ash makes a big deal about that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:24 
Bad Girl

Who's Ash? :S

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:34 
Bad Girl

I geddit!

(Sorry, still half asleep)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:42 

"I won't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies. <smug shit eating grin>"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 14:56 
8-Bit Champion

Review embargo lifted about an hour ago

RPS : http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/10 ... review-pc/

Escapist : http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... ion-Review

Guardian : http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... CMP=twt_gu

BTW last line in the Escapist review (by Jim Sterling above) is the same as the post before this :-)

Some gameplay :

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 15:04 
Gogmagog

Sounds fantastic. Could be the Killer App that means I get a new console!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 19:04 

Ars Technica says "Stunning, terrifying aesthetics can't save a stealth game broken at its core"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 19:23 

That sounds like something that would piss me off in minutes. If there was still such a thing as Blockbuster then I'd be hiring it out for a few nights. Don't fancy spending the best part of £50 to look at some pretties and then ditch it in frustration, though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 19:25 
8-Bit Champion

lasermink wrote:

Its quite a strange set of reviews because they all admit the same flaws in the game but some people just go with it and say its great and others hold it up saying its terrible.

The flaws from what I can see are :

The Alien can one hit kill you if it finds you - other AI can take down health but if your unlucky and get into its path and dont get away your dead
The Aliens AI is 'random' , so it can randomly appear at the wrong point and kill you or turn round and open the one door that your hiding behind and your dead - tough luck
The Enemies AI is pretty random as well so they can also 'get lucky' (although thats not a 1 hit kill so you can fight back against them)
Checkpoints can be quite far apart so you spend a long time sneeking to get close to the next checkpoint and die (also checkpoint saves are not 'instant' so if your killed while the save is not yet completed you will go back to the last checkpoint)
At 10-15 hours for a playthough the main complaint (for some) is that its too long (?) , or at least the game seems slightly drawn out
At higher difficulties you will just keep dying over and over again (at least one of the negative reviews the guy started on 'hard' cause he's played lots of FPS's before and then the seemingly 'unfair' to him chances of the AI made it all very frustrating
The Alien 'rubber bands' to you , so you cant really get miles away and be 'safe' (tie this in with the random AI and this seems to be the main complaint)
The Alien is unkillable

The pluses are that most people are saying it *is* scary
It is 'true' (as it can be) to the source material
The graphics / animation are great
The sound FX are great
The 'feel' of things is very like the movie
It really does try to do something different / unique

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 19:58 
Excellent Member

It's about 80% last time I checked meta critic

At this point for alien fans, that is a revelation.
I don't think anyone is expecting a 10/10 title

I for one was hoping for 7/8 out of 10
I knew there would be some dumb robot level filler
I guessed there would be glitches

But all the reviews I've rad so far haven't made me cancel my preorder....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 20:04 
Bad Girl

Review round-up with scores:

http://www.vg247.com/2014/10/03/alien-i ... he-scores/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 20:44 
Isn't that lovely?

zaphod79 wrote:
At 10-15 hours for a playthough the main complaint (for some) is that its too long (?) , or at least the game seems slightly drawn out

What!

What?

Malc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:13 

For cheaps here:

http://www.thegamecollection.net/alien- ... n-ps4.html

Despite my reservations I'm tempted at that price. I'll be able to ebay it off before I pitch the controller through the telly without losing too much money.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:15 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

See if this still works first.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:18 

It was too late anyway but that voucher no longer seems to be working.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 23:53 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

OMFG it's glorious.

For the first twenty minutes I truly felt like I'd stepped onto the Nostromo and was wandering around. The audio in particular is amazing.

I'm fucking irritated that I have to go to sleep right now, let me tell you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 15:51 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
OMFG it's glorious.

For the first twenty minutes I truly felt like I'd stepped onto the Nostromo and was wandering around. The audio in particular is amazing.

I'm fudge irritated that I have to go to sleep right now, let me tell you.

looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts on the title, as a massive Alien fan.
I think a lot of the flaws might be forgivable. Unfortunately my copy is (i trust) at home, but I am away from home at work in *shudder* Scotland :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 17:51 
SavyGamer

I have ordered this for the PS4.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 0:09 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I love it. I love it, I love it, I love it.

The fucking alien is terrifying.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 0:14 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

GazChap, how are you not playing the shit out of this?

I imagine that playing it with that Technohat of yours would be hideous.

In a good way.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:22 

Oculus support for A:I was only a prototype/press demo, and didn't ship. Although some people are trying to hack it back in, with varying degrees of bugginess.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:24 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

If it was built in my credit card would be taking a bit of a hit right now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:57 

Grim... wrote:
GazChap, how are you not playing the shit out of this?

After A:CM, I decided to wait until reviews started appearing before buying it ;)

And now, I can't afford the fucking thing. Perhaps ironically, because of the Technohat.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:58 
UltraMod

That's not irony.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:30 

I did say "perhaps."

:P

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:55 
SavyGamer

GazChap wrote:
I did say "perhaps."

:P

How ironic!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:31 
sneering elitist

Like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:37 
Gogmagog

Jem wrote:
Like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife.

Lots of people wish for a knife when he's around.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:40 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I'm happy with a spoon.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:56 
UltraMod

Cras wrote:
I'm happy with a spoon.

World's loneliest post.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 16:01 
Master of dodgy spelling....

American Nervoso wrote:
Cras wrote:
I'm happy with a spoon.

World's loneliest post.

:DD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 16:09 
SavyGamer

WARNING THIS GAME HAS NO AUTOSAVE.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 16:22 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Oculus support for A:I was only a prototype/press demo, and didn't ship. Although some people are trying to hack it back in, with varying degrees of bugginess.

Apparently modders have now succeeded in re-enabling the Rift mode, complete with positional tracking.

I'd best stock up on boxer shorts!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 16:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

LewieP wrote:
WARNING THIS GAME HAS NO AUTOSAVE.

It does, but they're pretty far apart.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 23:40 
Excellent Member

Installed, played about an hour, pants metaphorically saturated.
Graphics are nice, atmosphere is undeniable. Scared to play further and see the alien

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:22 

Had my first encounter with the Alien last night. It killed me. After reading this article I have knocked the difficulty down to Easy as they reckon that equates to normal on most games. And also because I find that endlessly replaying difficult sections really destroys any sense of immersion as you can't help but see behind the curtain a bit and get too familiar with the game mechanics.

Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next