Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 3554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 72  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hearthstone Open Beta thread (title changed)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 14:28 
ugvm'er at heart...

The Jaina legendary I have gives me an extra fireball spell every time I cast a spell. If you save your initial fireballs till after you play it, it is devastating :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 15:35 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:
The Jaina legendary I have gives me an extra fireball spell every time I cast a spell. If you save your initial fireballs till after you play it, it is devastating :D

I've had that played against me a few times of late - it always gets turned into a sheep right away. :D

As an aside, I'm so very tired of playing against rush decks (mine is more control). They're such brainless decks and aren't at all challenging to play against (I beat most of them). Give me a good long battle of wits against another control deck any day. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 15:48 
Legendary Boogeyman

I think I dislike Murloc rush decks the most. If you're not set up specifically to put them down, they can be a right pain.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 15:53 
ugvm'er at heart...

I played as a Shaman in the last arena I did. The last match I pulled all the shaman buff cards at the start, and didn't even get a single minion card to play until about round 4 or 5. I had so many cards in my hand, none of which I could do anything with, and by the time I got a minion card they came out one at a time, so they got killed as soon as I dropped them.

Incredibly frustrating game to play.

On the flip side, my last Jaina match I was down to 1 health at round 7 or so, yet still won in the end due to flamestrike, legendary, and fireball chaining. I suspect the guy I was playing against wasn't happy :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 15:54 
Excellent Member

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
I think I dislike Murloc rush decks the most. If you're not set up specifically to put them down, they can be a right pain.

It depends - if you manage to stop the initial rush in the first four turns then they are usually screwed. I play as a control Mage (hardly any spells!) and the Fireblast hero power is invaluable for that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 18:15 
Hello Hello Hello

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
And while we're at it mages can fuck off with that fucking flamestrike as well.

You have to make some assumptions and play accordingly. Don't play decent minions with <= 4 health against a mage before turn 7. Bait out a flamestrike with enough to make him use it, and then respond with some decent cards you've kept back.

Same goes against Paledins. Assume a Consecration potential (2 dmg to all) or Hammer of Wrath (3 dmg) on turn 4. Priest, Holy Nova turn 5. etc.

Sometimes you have to let stuff die, put it out there *knowing* it'll die, and prepare to eat some damage until you're ready to play your proper combo.

I always run on the assumption that a mage will have a flamestrike, but you can't necessarily assume that they have two, and sooner or later you're going to have to get some minions out there - depending on how your cards are dealt and how the game is going there's no choice sometimes but to simply take a risk and hope he isn't packing two.

It's like when playing a priest I'll assume he has mind control and try to bait him into using it with a decent minion when I still have a better one in my deck, but if he's got two mind controls AND has had them both dealt into his deck, what are you going to do about that?

Don't get me wrong I'm sure all of my games probably contain several sub-optimal plays and the situations could be handled more elegantly by a better player than myself, but some of the sucker punch moves can sting nonetheless.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 20:41 
Excellent Member

Don't know about anyone else but I'd getting really tired of the current rush of ...... well, Rush Decks! There's so many of the damn things (mostly hunter, but not exclusively), and for sombody like me who loves a long drawn-out game of skill and talent against a like-minded player the rush decks are a real bore.

BTW, anyone seen this:

It's kind of Hearthstone mixed with The Banner Saga. Looks bloody nice too - think I might back it. :)

Oh, and it's a game that you pay for up front - none of this "pay to win" nonsense. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 19:46 
Hello Hello Hello

For some hilarious nonsense, watch TotalBiscuit's 'Lord of the Legendaries' series. He plays constructed entirely with decks of Legendary cards.

I watched two hours of those videos last night and I'll probably do the same tonight, fantastic entertainment and really interesting to see how he plays with the mechanics of the game as well :)

Used to love his WoW videos too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 21:41 
Excellent Member

Just goes to show how easy it is to win when playing an aggro style, even with a non aggro deck - my Mage deck is is a control deck, yet if I just go for the opponent's face I can win most of the time (although I don't like to play like that - control is much for fun as it makes me think and work out strategies).

This of course explains why there are so many aggro decks out there, particularly when playing as Rexxar - there's simply no brain power involved, a trained monkey could win - just go for the face all of the time.

Seems that Hearthstone is a tad flawed .......

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 21:49 
Hello Hello Hello

Four_Candles wrote:
Just goes to show how easy it is to win when playing an aggro style, even with a non aggro deck - my Mage deck is is a control deck, yet if I just go for the opponent's face I can win most of the time (although I don't like to play like that - control is much for fun as it makes me think and work out strategies).

This of course explains why there are so many aggro decks out there, particularly when playing as Rexxar - there's simply no brain power involved, a trained monkey could win - just go for the face all of the time.

Seems that Hearthstone is a tad flawed .......

Blizz will balance it out, they'll be gathering a HUGE amount of data from the open beta and I'd be amazed if there wasn't a pretty serious rebalancing before it goes live, despite them saying they'd prefer not to do another big rebalance like they did before the closed beta went to open.

EDIT - And we do have to remember that it is still a beta!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 22:25 
Legendary Boogeyman

I'm not sure what your complaint is Four_Candles. If you can easily destroy rush decks, then you have superior tactics by being a control mage. Why even stop to worry about it? You win and move on to the next guy.

Unless you're actually getting continuously annihilated by gimmicky Hunter rushes that you can't stop, and it's pissing you off. Come on, you can be honest with us ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 22:30 
Excellent Member

The Hunter rush decks just annoy me - there's no strategy involved, they're incredibly predictable and very boring to play against because of this.

For example, this Hunter rush deck is a damn joke:

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/33878-perfect-rush-hunter-deck-rank-5

Just played a few games with it to check it out, won all of them. It's almost impossible to lose a game. Doesn't require any brain-power to play either. It's borderline cheating.

And no, I won't be using it again. Just doesn't feel right somehow.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 22:32 
Excellent Member

EDIT - And we do have to remember that it is still a beta!

With the latest patch (just applied to US servers, applied to EU in the early hours tomorrow) the game will be out of Beta. And reading the patch notes there is no sign of anything that would stop the proliferation of Hunter rush decks.

Patch notes here:

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blo ... -3-11-2014

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 23:41 
Excellent Member

Hmmm, from looking at the bug report area on Blizzard's Hearthstone forum this 'Launch' release is strewn with reports of bugs, some old, some new. For example, you can no longer ALT-TAB out of the game if playing in fullscreen mode.

Do they actually TEST the game before releasing new patches? I can only think not.

Bug Report Forum:

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/10591462/

List of bugs we they have so far acknowledged:

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/for ... 9677847863

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 0:48 
Legendary Boogeyman

Still a beta ;)

Interesting patches/fixes/changes though, much of it looks to the good. Changing behaviour of Nat Pagle was a must.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 0:51 
Excellent Member

Still a beta ;)

Interesting patches/fixes/changes though, much of it looks to the good. Changing behaviour of Nat Pagle was a must.

I know you're joking, but it's now a Launch release. :)

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blo ... -3-11-2014

A more comprehensive list of the bugs on Reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/com ... h_1004944/

I can only conclude that either:

a) The suits at Blizzard don't giving a flying fuck about quality and will release it in any form (are they taking lessons from EA?)

or:

b) Their game testing team sucks. Badly.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:16 
Legendary Boogeyman

There are lots of ways to look at this, and I'm more sympathetic.

Isolated play-testing simply cannot produce as many bugs as putting it global can. The reconnect bug listed there, for example, was only really testable under a real-world load. Even in a large dev team you cannot account for every permutation of player experience, configuration, play-style and test it exhaustively. You just can't.

The other way to look at it is this: they could either release an imperfect patch to address as much as they can, as fast as they can, OR they can sit on the patch for yet more months while their player base suffers from the problems currently in the build. Meanwhile they'd still be ignorant to big problems that only 'real' play will uncover.

Anything very severe will be hotfixed I would think, and all other feedback will go on the pile to be worked on. It's still a developing game, 1.0 or not. And, y'know. FREE. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 23:16 
Hello Hello Hello

Gah, just came across the Warlock Fucking Murloc Rush Deck (known as 'cunt' for short) with my mage in ranked mode, very very nearly controlled the fucker down to a defeat but he played two power overwhelmings on his last turn to give one of the fuckers a 10 attack which finished me off.

I'm honestly hard pushed to think of anything I did wrong and still fucking lost, I'd love to watch a replay of the game to see what if any mistakes I made.

My card draws could have been nicer and maybe I didn't play it quite right, but sometimes you just get the feeling that your deck simply can't beat their deck, especially in constructed where you can't go in with the specific 'BEAT THE FUCKING CHEAP WARLOCK RUSH MURLOC DECK' deck, because it'll be shit against everything else.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 23:50 
Excellent Member

Gah, just came across the Warlock Fucking Murloc Rush Deck (known as 'cunt' for short) with my mage in ranked mode, very very nearly controlled the fucker down to a defeat but he played two power overwhelmings on his last turn to give one of the fuckers a 10 attack which finished me off.

I'm honestly hard pushed to think of anything I did wrong and still fucking lost, I'd love to watch a replay of the game to see what if any mistakes I made.

My card draws could have been nicer and maybe I didn't play it quite right, but sometimes you just get the feeling that your deck simply can't beat their deck, especially in constructed where you can't go in with the specific 'BEAT THE FUCKING CHEAP WARLOCK RUSH MURLOC DECK' deck, because it'll be shit against everything else.

Well, you can even be the best player in the world, playing with a good deck, and still lose against specifics decks. Metagaming is very important in this kind of card based games.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 0:23 
Sleepyhead

So, this is quite fun. Still playing the unlocking game, but at the moment trampling everything with consulate ease and looking forward to a bit more complexity once I start to unlock shit.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:59 
Excellent Member

You possibly didn't do anything wrong - it's also down to luck, the cards in both decks and the cards in both hands. You could have played against the same guy again and won. Hard to say for sure though without a number of matches against the same person with the same decks. Also, some decks just can't beat a rush deck, but this is the thing - do you build a deck to combat the rushes but which will lose to almost everything else? Or do you use a mid-range deck that is a jack of all trades but master of none? :)

Remember that even the experts lose - the key of course is winning more than you lose. I've been watching Trump's recordings of his very recent climb to Legend with his 'Free Mage' deck. It's fascinating. I'm also using a variation of a later version of that deck (I have though added a Legendary - Ysera).

Here's the first video from his original Twitch.tv stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mi2fhKDXk8

Well worth watching the whole series - very educational and entertaining. He has edited out the parts where the game is searching for a player, any breaks he's taken, etc. But all of the games are there.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:50 
Sleepyhead

My most entertaining game I had was actually the only one I lost. As a warrior against a mage I whittled her down to 1 health while I had 30 and about 8 armour.

Unfortunately I just couldn't get the last piece of damage, as she wiped out every minion before it could attack, or buffed her taunting minions.

Was fun though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:02 
Excellent Member

I see that it's now possible to select which region you want to play in - unfortunately by playing in another region you start from scratch in that region as there is no way to carry over your stats, cards, etc from your default region - this seems rather ridiculous. So if I want to play against a friend in America I have to use whatever basic cards are available to me as a noob in that region as I can't use my Euro set of cards.

And for anyone that's concerned, don't worry - your stats, cards etc remain in each region, none are 'wiped' by switching regions.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 14:34 
Excellent Member

From what i've learned reading forums, it seems the player level in the US is way lower than in Europe. This is specially evident in the Arena.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 16:45 
Excellent Member

Interesting. I'll have to have a go at the US Arena some time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 17:06 
Legendary Boogeyman

When are you cock-gobblers going to post your gamertags so I can beat on your arses with my Priest? Druss#2204 - come at me bros.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 17:16 
Sleepyhead

I'll wait until I've played more than just the tutorial :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 17:55 
Excellent Member

And I'll wait until my intense hatred of Priests has passed, the thieving health-buffing turds that they are. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 18:05 
ugvm'er at heart...

I think I have already posted mine. I'm not sure how to actually do a game against a friend though. There is a button on my friend list next to each person, but it has never been clickable.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 19:17 
Excellent Member

Four_Candles wrote:
And I'll wait until my intense hatred of Priests has passed, the thieving health-buffing turds that they are. :)

I don't remember that last time i played against a priest in ranked play. It's probably the less played class in my experience. You are just probably unlucky.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 20:55 
Hello Hello Hello

Chopley#1273 is mine. I've already got Trooper on my friends list from the WoW days :)

I'm generally amenable to challenges but I do go AFK a lot to deal with family matters so if I appear to ignore a challenge please don't be offended!

Also, I'm pretty shit at the game, I don't have many cards, and some of my decks are appalling works in progress that fail spectacularly in combat so don't be too surprised if you utterly annihilate me :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 21:01 
Excellent Member

RuySan wrote:
Four_Candles wrote:

I don't remember that last time i played against a priest in ranked play. It's probably the less played class in my experience. You are just probably unlucky.

Yup, unlucky indeed. I'm currently at rank 13 and the buggers keep cropping up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 21:09 
Hello Hello Hello

Four_Candles wrote:
You possibly didn't do anything wrong - it's also down to luck, the cards in both decks and the cards in both hands. You could have played against the same guy again and won. Hard to say for sure though without a number of matches against the same person with the same decks. Also, some decks just can't beat a rush deck, but this is the thing - do you build a deck to combat the rushes but which will lose to almost everything else? Or do you use a mid-range deck that is a jack of all trades but master of none? :)

Remember that even the experts lose - the key of course is winning more than you lose. I've been watching Trump's recordings of his very recent climb to Legend with his 'Free Mage' deck. It's fascinating. I'm also using a variation of a later version of that deck (I have though added a Legendary - Ysera).

Here's the first video from his original Twitch.tv stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mi2fhKDXk8

Well worth watching the whole series - very educational and entertaining. He has edited out the parts where the game is searching for a player, any breaks he's taken, etc. But all of the games are there.

Video looks awesome, thanks for the link :)

My mage deck is intended to be adaptable, so it can go offensive and DPS where the opportunity arises, but also go into control mode if necessary.

I honestly haven't come across that many rush decks so I wouldn't like to go into ranked with a constructed anti-rush deck as it'll be shit against everything else. Also I felt a bit aggrieved as the mofo was pulling out legendary and epic Murloc cards, and there's me with what is essentially a basic deck!

TBH I felt quite satisfied with taking him as close as I did (one turn off winning), but I was annoyed as well. He certainly didn't get a 'Well Played' emote, which I usually give to the victorious player.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 21:23 
Hello Hello Hello

I'm such an emo rage quitting conceder, just conceded on Turn 5 in FUCKING ARENA because I made a mistake. It wasn't even a game-loser by any means, but nope, concede....

I can't help myself.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 21:36 
Hello Hello Hello

And I just blew one of my own minions up with a card I'd never played before as I don't know pallies very well AND FUCKING CONCEDED AGAIN.

Maybe Arena isn't a good match for me.

EDIT - It was a game I'd locked down and won as well, and then one fatal blunder turned the whole thing on its head and I was just like FUCK IT.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 22:07 
Hello Hello Hello

OH YES THAT'S HANDY.

Had this one in the bag, binned me off with a couldn't reconnect error in the end, didn't count as a loss but the guaranteed win is gone.

There is a warning up on the launch page that the game is experiencing various issues but come on Blizzard, can't keep a fucking card game working properly?

Attachment:
Hearthstone_Screenshot_3.14.2014.21.05.33.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 22:53 
Excellent Member

Blizzard's servers have been extremely erratic over the years, far more so over the past few months - it's affecting all of their online games. They just don't seem to want to invest in the appropriate infrastructure even though it's making a lot of players extremely angry (but seemingly not angry enough to stop playing, which is why Blizzard don't give a flying fuck).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 0:25 
Hello Hello Hello

Ever get the feeling it's just not your night?

After losing the last arena set (although it wasn't a total wipeout at 1/3) I decided to have another punt.

Lost my first game badly to a good player (no problem with that), lost my second game STUPIDLY which is entirely my own fault 'cause I had an online slot running over on the other side of my screen and let it distract me from a winning play (I take 100% of the blame for that), and then during the third game where things were looking pretty good for me and a win was on the cards, would you fucking believe it we had a power trip on the main fuse box! (It tends to happen when the weather is bad and the wind has been howling a bit this evening, it's not the house electrics since the whole place was rewired about ten years ago.)

My PC and monitor are on a UPS so they carried on running as the whole house was plunged into darkness as the game disconnected and attempted to retry (the router isn't on the UPS), by the time I'd got downstairs and out to the utility room, flicked the master fuse back on, and thereafter the router had reconnected and established comms once more, and I was able to log back into Hearthstone - I'd auto-lost the game!

I officially fucking give up for tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:08 
Excellent Member

I didn't play much yesterday - but I did drop a rung on the ladder. Won a few games but lost a few (all to fecking rush decks) and dropped from 13 to 14.

On the bright side I did decimate a Priest with his sodding Lightspawns that he buffed to 15 and 20 HP. Thank goodness for Polymorphs (which aren't always around when you need them!). :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:58 
Hello Hello Hello

And on my match to FINALLY GET TO RANK 19 I get a rogue whose deck contains infinitely more legendaries than mine (hint, I have zero in my mage deck, he played three and may have had more in reserve).

He even played that ridiculous goblin thing that summons a repair bot which repairs ANY damaged character, four times on the fucking trot it chose his hero or a minion.

You'd think when it's matching you up it'd do some sort of quick pass on how the decks are weighted with legendaries.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:39 
Sleepyhead

Yeah, whole game appears to be offline. Silly game.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 13:01 
Hello Hello Hello

It'll probably take them a little while to stabilise the whole thing, and IMO they were a bit hasty to move it from beta to launch.

WoW was flaky as fuck in its early days but they soon got it all settled down to the point where it was stunningly solid for such a massive and complex MMO.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 17:26 
Legendary Boogeyman

An exciting day, in that I disenchanted nearly every single card I could just to craft the Priest's stupid legendary at 1600 dust.

This has completely maimed every other deck I have that isn't Priest. Ho hum.

Also played AE at a game there which I just about won, but it didn't feel too easy. Afterwards I spent my 1100 gold I've saved over a week or so on 11 card packs.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 17:31 
Hello Hello Hello

Also played AE at a game there which I just about won, but it didn't feel too easy. Afterwards I spent my 1100 gold I've saved over a week or so on 11 card packs.

'Twas a good tussle and it looked like it could go either way in the mid-game but you really took control for the last couple of turns, plus I did get rather lucky with the way our Demolishers behaved.

There was one point where I would have sexually pleasured a rabid mongoose for a Flamestrike....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 22:20 
ugvm'er at heart...

Stating to feel like I know what i'm doing, and that i'm making informed choices, rather than randomly playing cards because they are pretty.
Still not winning any more often, but at least I know why i'm losing.

Started watching the Trump video posted. An hour or so in, and all his games so far have been piss easy as far as I can tell. I know he makes it look easy, but his card draws and the decks he has played against have both gone in his favour every game so far.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 22:58 
Sleepyhead

What's all this disenchanting stuff? When does it tell me about that?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 23:25 
ugvm'er at heart...

It doesn't explain it very well.
Basically, any cards you get in the packs can be disenchanted, which gives you Arcane Dust. You can then use that Arcane Dust to create any cards that you want. Common cards cost 40 to create, and you get 5 for disenchanting them, the rare cards cost a lot more, but you get more if you disenchant one.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 23:42 
Sleepyhead

So you don't buff cards that already exist? Okey dokey.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:17 
Hello Hello Hello

There are a few common cards that you'll probably want to craft and put in most of your decks, the Ironbeak Owl for example is a cheap card to craft and makes a handy silence for only 2 mana.

http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Ironbeak_Owl

The Demolisher is another good card that I have in most of my decks (both me and EBJ played one in our game yesterday :D).

http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Demolisher

Generally speaking just keep an eye on what your opponents are playing, any card that strikes you as annoyingly effective is quite possibly one that you want to research for inclusion into one or more of your decks :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:37 
ugvm'er at heart...

Rank 18, wooo!

Reply to topic  [ 3554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 72  Next