Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 3554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 72  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hearthstone thread
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 22:59 
Legendary Boogeyman

Actually I'm finding the high ranks very hard at the moment too. I think it's still early month rank-skewing of better players trying to ladder.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 23:01 
Legendary Boogeyman

Incidentally Trump is currently at rank 8 with his Warrior deck, but it contains EIGHT legendaries. Sheesh.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 23:25 
Sleepyhead

I'm currently at 16, but I've only played a handful of games. Only lost 1 so far, I think, but I am using Warlock Deck of Great Cheapness.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:03 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

back down to rank 14 after a nice little run with my hunter deck, but yes I agree, the ladder is a bitch at the moment. Get the feeling alot of players who stopped ranked due to the bots are back. Should hopefully level out soon.

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:46 
Hello Hello Hello

Slightly Green wrote:
back down to rank 14 after a nice little run with my hunter deck, but yes I agree, the ladder is a bitch at the moment. Get the feeling alot of players who stopped ranked due to the bots are back. Should hopefully level out soon.

Ahhh yes that's a fair point, maybe a few players were on vacation until the bot ban-hammer hit.

It's definitely still tough out in Ranked at the moment, I haven't quite crested into Rank 13 this month yet, although I've not really been playing it in Ranked a huge amount, at the same time I would generally expect to climb 'naturally' to around Rank 10 or so without really trying, just doing the daily quests and a few games in Ranked, and that doesn't seem to be happening this month.

Still early days for the season though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:13 
ugvm'er at heart...

We've certainly picked a doozy of a month to do this challenge, still getting nowhere fast!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:17 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Trooper wrote:
We've certainly picked a doozy of a month to do this challenge, still getting nowhere fast!

Yip , my best is 15 and i'm back in the middle of 18 now.

And at that its tending to be

Win / lose / win / lose / lose / win / lose

The best way to rank up is to chain the wins together but i cant get any consistency at the moment

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:20 
Sleepyhead

I admittedly haven't played much, but haven't had any difficulty as yet. Is there a particular meta people are struggling with?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:51 
ugvm'er at heart...

Not really anything specific, just that every deck you face is a known good deck, so every game is tight and as Zaphod said it's difficult to win games on the trot.
I'm still on a positive win rate for the month so far, but without being able to chain the wins it takes ages to get up the ladder.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:08 
Hello Hello Hello

Yeah I got nowhere last night, still Rank 14 but just pinged up and down a couple of stars and actually finished up at Rank 14 ** from a start of Rank 14 ****

Like Trooper said, it's just one good deck after another, and always played well too. In previous seasons you'd always get the odd easy game here and there, or a bit of an off-the-wall deck that'd mix things up a bit, but at the moment it really feels like quite a clearly defined meta and there are no chumps around.

TBH I got frustrated with it quite quickly and just fucked it off to watch The Walking Dead instead.

Ordinarily I'd play a couple of extra games at some point before going to bed, but I couldn't be arsed with that last night either.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 14:13 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

Bring back the bots!!
lol

am rank 14 at mo, but haven't had a chance to play in last few days much

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 14:28 
ugvm'er at heart...

This is me so far, which has taken me to the giddy height of 18**

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2014-11-07 at 13.26.49.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 14:29 
ugvm'er at heart...

I wonder if they have tweaked the matchmaking under the covers?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 14:33 

So, started playing this yesterday, and am quite enjoying it.
Just got home, and decided to try play a game - I couldn't log in, got a email a minute later.

"Blizzard has locked the Battle.net account cookie197@.............. due to an unusual change in its access pattern."

This is what I get for using an account I made 2 years ago then never touched again.....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 14:36 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

Cookie197 wrote:
So, started playing this yesterday, and am quite enjoying it.
Just got home, and decided to try play a game - I couldn't log in, got a email a minute later.

"Blizzard has locked the Battle.net account cookie197@.............. due to an unusual change in its access pattern."

This is what I get for using an account I made 2 years ago then never touched again.....

haha, blizz think your far too awesome for the game Cookie :DD

Accepted your friend request, so if you fancy a game when you get back on gimme a holler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 14:36 
Legendary Boogeyman

I'm at 156 games this month (jesus) with a <50% rate and derping at rank 15. I did better last month just completing quests.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 15:30 

Slightly Green wrote:
Accepted your friend request, so if you fancy a game when you get back on gimme a holler

Will do. :)
It took a password reset and setting up a "mobile authentication" thing before it let me back in. :(

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 15:39 
Sleepyhead

I'm kinda glad I haven't had much time this month! I'm at 14 or 15 and think I might leave it there for a few days!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 15:51 
Legendary Boogeyman

It's definitely less ridiculous now than it was the first couple of days of the month.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 18:41 
Meh

Still bots on the ladder in the early hours.

Easy pickings :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 20:48 
ugvm'er at heart...

New expansion announced. Goblins Vs Gnomes.
120 more cards.
Released next month :)

http://eu.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blo ... nfirmed%2F

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 20:57 
Hello Hello Hello

zaphod79 wrote:
Win / lose / win / lose / lose / win / lose

I'm managing a slightly better win/lose ratio but it's pretty much bang on 50/50, so I'm still stuck at Rank 14.

Thing is, my deck is good, and my play is pretty good too (I don't mean that in a 'ZOMG I'M SO ACE' sort of way, simply that I'm playing my deck competently), I'm just consistently coming against players who are better than me on a regular basis.

If I get a crappy draw then it's basically all over, because my opponents just aren't tending to make any mistakes, or certainly dropping no clangers.

Then again I'm also not playing a huge amount either, just doing the daily quest and then a handful of extra games, because I'm barrelling through The Walking Dead at a tremendous rate of knots - once that's finished I may be dedicating a bit more time to Hearthstone play, but even then I find my concentration tends to wander after an hour or so (if that) of playing in Ranked, so that might not help either!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 21:20 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

The DEATH of ZOO

Thanks fuck.

Although alot of the cards they are showing do seem to be VERY RNG, so not 100% sure of this....although that is counterbalanced buy the fact I can now have a Gnume army!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 21:23 
ugvm'er at heart...

I love random cards, so i'm very pleased. I think they are trying to inject some uncertainty into the game, which I'm sure the serious players will hate, but should be fun for the more casual folks :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 22:24 
Hello Hello Hello

Slightly Green wrote:
The DEATH of ZOO

Thanks fuck.

Although alot of the cards they are showing do seem to be VERY RNG, so not 100% sure of this....although that is counterbalanced buy the fact I can now have a Gnume army!!!

I assume this is from BlizzCon?

Not following it live or on any streams or suchlike, I generally just pick up the major news from sites such as Eurogamer the next day.

TBH anything that slows Hearthstone the fuck down is good by me, give everyone a chance to play some slower, more tactical, and more interesting decks, and make Zoo (or indeed any rush decks) a <50% win rate match-up.

I'm only playing the Death Trap Hunter because the meta damn near demands a fast deck or ridiculous legendary-heavy control decks, my preference is to play far slower decks, which is why I keep decamping to Casual to play with decks I really enjoy, against more interesting opponents and decks than the meta is serving up in Ranked.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:17 
Meh

More information and cards here :-

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/exp ... -11-7-2014

Just the card pictures here :-

http://imgur.com/a/wgONI#10

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:47 
Hello Hello Hello

That's, erm, a lot of RNG....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:01 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
I wonder if they have tweaked the matchmaking under the covers?

:this:

I'm really starting to wonder about this, if any firm evidence emerges to demonstrate that they have, I'll be ditching the game like a hot potato.

We already know that Arena is adaptive, if they've done the same to Ranked I'll be proper fucked off.

The match-ups I'm getting just don't feel right at all.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:08 
ugvm'er at heart...

Ranked, Casual and Arena all have matchmaking and they always have had, as far as I know!

One thing is for sure, it's time to start saving gold again...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:16 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
Ranked, Casual and Arena all have matchmaking and they always have had, as far as I know!

All I'd expect Casual to do is match you with a random player from your region who's looking for a game, nothing beyond that.

All I'd expect Ranked to do is match you with a random player from your region of the same rank (give or take a couple of stars) who's looking for a game, nothing beyond that.

If there's any extra shenanigans going on (looking for an unfavourable match-up for your deck, picking a player who's on a strong win-streak etc), then they're not playing with a straight bat.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:29 
Hello Hello Hello

Just lost 5 on the trot, tilting badly, fuck this shit, time to do something else.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:05 
ugvm'er at heart...

Hearthly wrote:
Trooper wrote:

All I'd expect Casual to do is match you with a random player from your region who's looking for a game, nothing beyond that.

All I'd expect Ranked to do is match you with a random player from your region of the same rank (give or take a couple of stars) who's looking for a game, nothing beyond that.

If there's any extra shenanigans going on (looking for an unfavourable match-up for your deck, picking a player who's on a strong win-streak etc), then they're not playing with a straight bat.

That has never truly been the case though, there has always been matchmaking, but I was wrong about ranked mode.

http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Matchmaking

Casual uses matchmaking, ranked uses the rank of your opponent, arena uses win/loss history for that deck, ranked legend uses matchmaking.

I wonder if they have turned on mmr in ranked?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:10 
ugvm'er at heart...

After the expansion, arena will reward you with an expansion card pack.
That's a bit shit, why can't they give you a token and let you choose if you want a classic pack or a new pack? Collecting the classic legendaries just got a bit more tricky.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:27 
Meh

Five in a row with my new Mage 1.4. Up to 15.

My latest legendary upgrade seems to have tipped the balance. Ragnaros to the rescue!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 14:00 
Excellent Member

I have to say the game is quickly losing its appeal. Playing against the same ledge heavy decks every single game with what seems like no wiggle room to create personal decks or strategy. Its very disappointing. I actually think its broken.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 14:11 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'm starting to think I don't know how to play this game anymore, still getting totally wiped out!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 14:37 
Hello Hello Hello

CrazyFace wrote:
I have to say the game is quickly losing its appeal. Playing against the same ledge heavy decks every single game with what seems like no wiggle room to create personal decks or strategy. Its very disappointing. I actually think its broken.

Ranked isn't much fun at the moment, seems to be massively weighted towards rush decks and control decks, with not much inbetween.

The other options of course are Casual and Arena, I didn't realise the MMR thing existed in Casual but I suppose it makes sense, you get to play against other folks of the same overall skill level, but with a far more interesting variety of decks.

Arena I fell out with a few months ago, but given how Ranked is at the moment, I might give it another crack of the whip rather than bang my head against a brick wall in Ranked.

I can't help but think there must be other viable options for Ranked in the current meta, a mid-range-ish deck that can go quick if needs be, but with the long game to be viable against Control.

Since I'm tanking badly with my Hunter decks at the moment I might dust off my Shammy deck, it almost literally can't go much worse than it was this morning.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 17:06 
Sleepyhead

My Hunter didn't do very well this morning, but the Warlock is winning when I use it. Mostly playing other classes for variety though. Also finished off Naxx. Thought the full price for the last wing was a bit of a joke.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 18:38 
ugvm'er at heart...

100 games, Currently L16**, highest i've been is L16***

I'd usually be up at around L12 or 13 at least by now.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2014-11-08 at 17.36.04.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 19:01 
Hello Hello Hello

Yeah I dropped down to Rank 15 before and whilst I'm holding steady there (for now at least....) the games just aren't easing off at all. I swear I've not seen an opponent drop an absolute clanger since the start of the new season, just a few slight misplays here and there, and if I make one it immediately gets massively punished.

Maybe we were all playing loads of bots before without realising it and now they've gone we're not looking quite so hot :D

I'm still hoping that things will settle down as the month goes on but we're over a week into the new season now and not much sign of it.....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 19:28 
Sleepyhead

I played against a Warlock at L15 and he was rubbish! Made several errors and was easily beaten by my Hunter. Just wonder how he got there. Either an off game, plays a hell of a lot, or his deck makes up for his mistakes more often than not.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 18:10 
Legendary Boogeyman

I'm seeing Hearthstone championship meta here. Rush-down rogues with chargers/cold-blood combos. Variations on the the Rogue 'Haha' deck.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/116570-h ... e-rogue-s8

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 18:20 
Hello Hello Hello

Tawdry time out in Ranked, been one game off 13 a couple of times, then next thing you know I'm down at 15 again.

Just a ridiculous number of match-ups against Warriors and Priests, either there really are loads of them out there at around this rank, or Blizzard are fucking around with things.

LATEST CARD EXCITEMENT:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 18:24 
ugvm'er at heart...

Not saving your gold for new expansion packs next month?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 18:25 
Legendary Boogeyman

Warrior deck is coming good despite your meanness ;) The games are a lot slower but more often than not can be won with careful play. So sloooow though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 18:26 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
Not saving your gold for new expansion packs next month?

That's what money is for.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 18:33 
Legendary Boogeyman

Money...? What is this thing you speak of? Is that like gold?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 18:47 
Hello Hello Hello

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
Money...? What is this thing you speak of? Is that like gold?

You should be grateful for people like me, as we facilitate your cheap-ass begging bowl scrounger fucking freeloading :p

I'll probably chuck £35 at it for 40 packs, and then do the rest with gold.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 18:57 
Legendary Boogeyman

Hearthly wrote:
cheap-ass begging bowl scrounger fucking freeloading

AND PROUD. :smug:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 18:58 
Sleepyhead

In my limited play I have seen way more Priests than normal. Seems to be playing well at the moment. Cabal Shadow Priest is a mofo. I also lost a game due to thinking that the Dark Cultist thing might be reversed when a Soulpriest is out. Which it should be.

Reply to topic  [ 3554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 72  Next