Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 3554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 72  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hearthstone thread (title changed ... again!)
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 19:21 
Hello Hello Hello

Holy shit just having the most awful run tonight, running the risk of dropping down to Rank 13 but more than that it's just the spectacularly awful card draw and the opponents I'm getting that are stinging.

Miracle rogues, the new fucking hunters!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 20:04 
Sleepyhead

Headcrack is my least favourite card in the game as of now.

Guy just managed to get one card in front of my minions who were due to slaughter him each time, and bypassed my taunters with his headcrack about six turns in a row to defeat me. Ouch.

Quite an annoying combo deck. 0 mana backstab, then defias ringleader, then return him to hand, then play him again for 0 mana. Then play +4 to minion, then buff them some more, then destroy some of my minions, equip a weapon that does direct damage, and headcrack until opponent is dead. Bish bash bosh.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 21:04 
Hello Hello Hello

Gah back down to Rank 13, really is a case of win one and lose two tonight.

I'd like to blame it all on the miracle rogues but truth be told I just don't seem to be on my 'A game' at all whatever I'm matched against, and none of my opponents are giving so much as an inch. (I've made several mistakes I'm painfully aware of.)

So weird how you can get on a total roll with a deck one day and feel damn near unbeatable, and then next day with EXACTLY THE SAME DECK feel like you're doing well if you can claw your way to one victory per three games.

Mind you that said I've taken the Raggy and Cairne out of the deck and am now back with the absolute straight Trump F2P Shaman deck, mostly because they just don't seem to work very well with this deck, partly because even Trump himself says there's nothing he'd change about the deck given the current meta, but also because it feels so good when you beat a player down who's chucking legendaries at you.

Had a druid launch five of the fuckers at me a couple of games ago though. Lost that one.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 22:23 
Sleepyhead

My Paladin arena deck is ace fun, despite (and partly because) being massively unbalanced.

I have way too many 6+ mana cards and a lot of 'draw' cards. I always end up playing one card and wasting mana... but it's so much fun!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 22:27 
Sleepyhead

Back to 3-2.

Priest got a SenJin Shieldmasta out, buffed it to ten health, stuck a lightwarden behind it and there was nothing I have in my entire deck that can kill a ten health card that heals every turn (he had a lot of other healing cards).

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 23:29 
Sleepyhead

Went 5-3 in the end. Got utterly destroyed by a Hunter with a lot of charging beasties. My deck was way too slow against anything with pace, but as the game went on I tended to just go HULK SMASH.

Lots of fun. Got a pack and 145 gold. Yay!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:49 
Excellent Member

I was going infinite in the Arena which meant that i barely played ranked games anymore. But like 2 months ago before my last burn out with the game, i started playing with classes that always go wrong with me, like Shaman and Rogue, just because i needed some variation.

I think i'll put the game aside for a while.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 17:29 
Legendary Boogeyman

5/3 in my last Arena run. Lost my last match to a guy playing with Legend card backs.... I was pleased the game was actually pretty close - he was also pretty lucky in pulling answers when he needed them.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 17:46 
Sleepyhead

Gonna play arena again tonight, and then after that might try putting together one of these popular decks from constructed. Though I did once before, chose a 'low cost' one and it still needed hundreds of dust I didn't have.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 18:26 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
Gonna play arena again tonight, and then after that might try putting together one of these popular decks from constructed. Though I did once before, chose a 'low cost' one and it still needed hundreds of dust I didn't have.

Have a crack with one of the Trump F2P decks, there are a few to choose from if you have a look on his YouTube channel, and you can always tweak them a little bit.

I got to Rank 11 with the mage deck last month, and have already done the same this month with the shaman one.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 18:56 
Sleepyhead

Trump F2P Mage deck... cost = 1240 dust.

I don't think that's particularly F2P!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 19:03 
ugvm'er at heart...

His decks go through changes as he gets cards. You probably want to start with the trump basic deck, which is what he starts with on the free runs, IIRC.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 19:14 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
His decks go through changes as he gets cards. You probably want to start with the trump basic deck, which is what he starts with on the free runs, IIRC.

Thanks Trooper :) And yes sorry Curio forgot to say, if you go back to the #40 Trump mage video you'll see it's 100% free to play with a brand new EU account that's just hit Level 10 mage to get the basic cards.

He then adds stuff as he can from card packs and arena runs (paid for 100% with gold awarded in game or as rewards etc) and viciously DE-ing anything else for any other class or anything for the mage that he doesn't want, but he never spends a penny of real money which is where the F2P tag comes from.

But yes, if you want to the play with the mage deck he's using at video #1 then it will have a dust cost associated with it, but hopefully you'll have a good few of the cards already.

His decks are a better bet than decks lifted from elsewhere IMO, not least because you have all the videos to watch how he plays them.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 20:07 
ugvm'er at heart...

Playing as a priest is all well and good, with all the minion buffing etc... but if you don't draw a single minion card for the first 5 turns of the game, it's a little difficult to play...

Fucking game.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 20:31 
Sleepyhead

I am at 1-0 as a Priest in Arena. It's a fun change.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 20:49 
Hello Hello Hello

I never play priest, fucking hate playing against them and just hate the class full stop with their dreadful sly mechanics.

Dirty cheating bastards.

My greatest pleasure is beating priests.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 21:01 
Excellent Member

Haven't played Ranked for a couple of days but just had a few Ranked games with my Mage and got up to rank 9. :D

What have I been doing then? ..... having some fun playing as my most hated enemy - the Priest! :)

Not just any old Priest though, but the master of fun himself, Randuin Wrynn! A deck made up of cards with random effects, as created by streamer Noxious. The guy is loads of fun to watch playing this deck, here's just one example out of many (playing against popular streamer Amaz):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAe0IhXTfHQ

There's loads on these on Noxious's YouTube channel, just watch them and have a great laugh. :)

Anyhow, it's pretty Legendary heavy so I had to make some modifcations as I don't have Cho or Mukla, but it's still loads of fun. I only play it in Casual though, the lack of pressure enhances the enjoyment. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 21:36 
Sleepyhead

Currently at 3-1 with my Priest. Not too cheap; I haven't stolen any minions or any cards from the opponents. Just buffing my minions and slowly overwhelming them.

The one I lost was against a Shaman that stuck a Fen Creeper out, and then gave it the deathrattle of coming back to life. By the time I had got the 12 damage together to kill it, his other minions were too strong for me.

These are the decks I seem to struggle against most; hiding boostable minions behind a strong taunt. I need more MURDERDEATHKILL cards.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 21:58 
Sleepyhead

Gah!

3-2.

Druid deck that just wouldn't let me keep anything on the board, killed me before I even got to 7 mana. Seriously tricky deck; he got all the cards in the right order for him. Ah well.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 22:31 
Legendary Boogeyman

You're all Priest amateurs. My dude is now L58. I'll polish him off to 60 in the next couple of days.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 22:33 
Sleepyhead

Finished off at 5-3.

Won a couple of good ones and had the next one going well until they called in a 8/8 for 0 mana, the turn after I had used my Big Game Hunter. Bah! Was a good, close game though. Enjoy losing those tight ones more than a walkover against an idiot with a bad deck.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 23:01 
Hello Hello Hello

Decent arena run this evening with a mage deck, finished 5:3 which I was happy enough with, although the final loss rankled a bit because I made a sub-optimal play towards the end of the game that probably cost me the win, grrrr. It was extra annoying because it was against a warlock who was card-starved but reasonably health rich, so he could pretty much tap with impunity for several turns and just trade the resulting cards on the board.

Constructed has been awful though, back down to Rank 14 8)

I'm probably playing this game far too much really, although its 10-20 minute commitment windows mean I can get away with it.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 23:19 
Sleepyhead

I'm 1-0 with w Warlock deck, but I think I might have kinda screwed up with the deck build. Worked pretty well that time but I think it could bleed cards too quickly. We shall see.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 23:45 
Excellent Member

You know, since I started playing the Randuin Wrynn deck I don't think I've smiled or laughed as much when playing Hearthstone. It's basically the "dick around and often win" deck (in Casual at least). Great fun. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 15:17 
Legendary Boogeyman

Priest now 59... trying to grind out this last XP is serious work. I wager it'll be another 20 decent games to get it there.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 16:15 
Sleepyhead

What do you get for L60?

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 16:24 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'm playing around with this warrior deck at the moment, and it is quite amusing :D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 16:24 
ugvm'er at heart...

Curiosity wrote:
What do you get for L60?

£1000 and a trip to Vegas.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 16:32 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

A few hands (including a crazy expensive one) from an ex-NHL player (Chris Kluwe)

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/ ... thing.aspx

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 20:50 
Sleepyhead

I'm at 2-0 with my Warlock, who is a lot of fun, but the game has now apparently crashed.

Started one up against a Hunter, but after the hero tokens were placed it went grey and hasn't changed. Have tried restarting the game and it reconnects me into the same scenario.

Hope it doesn't count as a loss, and more I hope it lets me play again soon!

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 20:56 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
I'm at 2-0 with my Warlock, who is a lot of fun, but the game has now apparently crashed.

Started one up against a Hunter, but after the hero tokens were placed it went grey and hasn't changed. Have tried restarting the game and it reconnects me into the same scenario.

Hope it doesn't count as a loss, and more I hope it lets me play again soon!

It should recover OK and simply discard (no pun intended) the game you had in progress (no win or loss applied).

I've had it happen maybe three or four times in arena but they were all when the game went through its wobbly phase a few weeks ago.

One of them was when I pretty much had the game won so quite annoying, but touch wood I've never had it dish out a loss when a game crashed out. (And one of them was when I was all but dead, so y'know, swings and roundabouts....)

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 20:58 
Sleepyhead

At the moment I'm just annoyed that I have a spare few minutes and can't play!

:D

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 21:06 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
At the moment I'm just annoyed that I have a spare few minutes and can't play!

:D

Yeah dreadfully compulsive isn't it.... :D

I've got a capable gaming PC here, a massive Steam games collection, a decent Origin games collection, I'm really very keen to buy and give Titanfall a go, loads of emulators, fruit machine emulation etc etc.... And yet pretty much all I've played since February is an online collectible card game......

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 22:43 
Hello Hello Hello

Fucking hell back down to Rank 16, been switching between the Trump shaman and mage decks, and my own druid deck, but can't win a fucking thing. (Also had a pretty damn poor 2:3 arena run.)

Then again I am back in my emo concede mood again, conceded against a priest on Turn 6 just because his moves were annoying me.

Definitely a frame of mind thing for this game, maybe I should buy Titanfall after all just so I can smash the fuck out of shit when the mood takes me.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 22:47 
Sleepyhead

Druid just smashed me by playing Starfire for three turns in a row. Curse him!

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 22:48 
Hello Hello Hello

One more game and then I'm quitting for the night.

Stupid game.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 22:51 
Sleepyhead

I need to stop picking the Mad Bomber. I think he chucks 2 at my hero every single time I've played him, and the remaining one at my own minion(s)

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 23:51 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
I need to stop picking the Mad Bomber. I think he chucks 2 at my hero every single time I've played him, and the remaining one at my own minion(s)

He'll average out to his expected RNG over time, as long as you consistently play him into boards where there's more baddies than goodies, he'll do more damage to them than he does to you in the long run.

I know what you mean though, he does feel a bit dangerous and random, but I do take him in my arena decks when offered, unless there's a clearly better card to choose from out of the three.

He can also be very disruptive when comboed with a brewmaster, especially if there are two divine shields on the enemy side of the board you want to have a ping at.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:45 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:

Definitely a frame of mind thing for this game, maybe I should buy Titanfall after all just so I can smash the fuck out of shit when the mood takes me.

Yeah, it's definitely a frame of mind thing. Basically, don't play Ranked when angry or frustrated. Poker players refer to it as 'tilt':

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilt_%28poker%29

But I've found an ideal solution if you still want to play Hearthstone when in that frame of mind - as mentioned a few messages back I've been playing the Randuin Wrynn deck a fair bit in Casual. It's just fun - doesn't matter if you lose, just have a laugh and enjoy. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:35 
Hello Hello Hello

Four_Candles wrote:
Yeah, it's definitely a frame of mind thing. Basically, don't play Ranked when angry or frustrated. Poker players refer to it as 'tilt':

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilt_%28poker%29

That very much sounds like me last night! I just didn't have the patience to work out the best plays, and was getting really frustrated by players who were taking a while to make their turns, whereas ordinarily I'll look over at a web browser and read a bit of something whilst I'm waiting. (As I've got a 27 inch screen I run Hearthstone windowed so I can have a web browser with a load of tabs open and the game as well.)

I was also going for 'instant gratification' moves even though I knew there was a better long game over the next two or three turns, getting reckless, getting frustrated, and then it all gets worse of course in a vicious cycle.

On top of that if an opponent made a good, challenging play against me I was reaching for the concede button, even if I had a handful of cards and with the right mindset could have formulated a decent response.

There's definitely something going on psychologically with me and this game, as since I've started playing Hearthstone in earnest I've COMPLETELY stopped playing online slots and pub fruities, and bear in mind these are activities that I consistently make a profit with and yet now I can't be bothered.

For example I'd got into a decent routine of doing a round of the local pubs on Sunday afternoon whilst Mrs Hearthly and Hearthly Jnr were up at the in-laws, and I'd generally bag £50-£150 profit in the process. Now I'll play Hearthstone in that timeslot instead.

Quote:
But I've found an ideal solution if you still want to play Hearthstone when in that frame of mind - as mentioned a few messages back I've been playing the Randuin Wrynn deck a fair bit in Casual. It's just fun - doesn't matter if you lose, just have a laugh and enjoy. :)

Funnily enough the most fun I had last night was completing the daily quest (five wins with druid) in casual mode.

So yes that's what I'll do from now on, if I haven't got my Ranked/Arena head on I'll have a muck about with the other classes in casual, and try to get competent with the classes that are a bit of a black hole to me at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:31 
ugvm'er at heart...

Play your random weird decks in ranked, it's just as much fun, moreso in fact as you have more chance of putting your opponent on "tilt" :D

The way I see it, I'm never going to make legendary, and will always get to rank 20 for the card back, so my rank makes no difference really. Playing random weird decks (like my warrior minion spell stealing deck above) in constructed, where your opponent is expecting to go against a cookie cutter deck, is great fun.

I really need more deck space. I have some many decks I want to play with.

Priest minion buff
All deathrattle
Girl power
Guys only
Guys with beards only
Aaargh-jim-lad pirate deck
All 1s
etc....

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:00 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
Guys with beards only

Have you watched the Trump vs Total Biscuit best of three where the only rule was that the heroes and all cards had to have beards? It's quite funny watching Trump ruminating on whether or not something constitutes a beard :D

On your wider point I totally agree, I'm never going to get to legendary either, watching how the guys play at that level I know that I'm just not that good, so I really should stop worrying about rank. It's just that I've been ONE GAME AWAY from Rank 10 two seasons on the trot now, so I've got it in my head I want to get to Rank 10 :D

I did try a couple of games in Ranked last night with my own druid deck (100% of my own creation) and think I won one and lost two with it, so I'm not totally OCD about not trying off-beat decks in ranked. I also take your point about catching your opponent off-guard with a weird deck, there's definitely potential for that.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:05 
ugvm'er at heart...

Playing with weird decks in ranked will get you a lot more "well played" emotes as well and less arseing around with long turns etc... People don't seem to get as annoyed if they are beaten by a crazy deck.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:09 
ugvm'er at heart...

If people are interested, we could do a small beex tournament? Either a serious one, or more likely one with crazy round restrictions :D

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:15 
Sleepyhead

I vote for crazy, obv.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:18 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Curiosity wrote:
I vote for crazy, obv.

I'd be in - however the problem I can see with crazy is that if i dont have the cards then I cant compete ?

I'm still messing around with my own decks and have never taken one from the various lists but i'm also only flicking back and foward between ranks 20 and 18

So i'm still at the 'wooo what does that one do' in the Arena when something i've never seen before gets played

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:32 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
If people are interested, we could do a small beex tournament? Either a serious one, or more likely one with crazy round restrictions :D

Yeah I'd be up for that, don't really mind what the rules are although as noted by zaphod some people are going to have much more restricted card collections than others.

It doesn't have to be any mega-formal arrangement or anything, people could just play their games as when their opponents are online and available to play, and we could track the results here.

Curio I don't think I've got you on my friends list? I'm Chopley#1273 if you want to add me :)

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:35 
ugvm'er at heart...

http://challonge.com/BeexHearthstone

Sign up here folks! (if you don't want to register, I can add you from the admin screen)

Sure, there will be some issues with the cards people have, but this isn't serious, so just do your best to meet the restriction. If you can't meet it, have a word with the person you are matched against and come up with something.

I'm thinking best of three for each round?
No real timescale to it, but try and get them done quickly. The website should tell us who we are playing against once everyone has signed up who wants to.

Round 1 will be....

GIRL POWER!

You can only choose cards where the artwork depicts a female (if you don't have enough women available, you can use elves too, they are basically girls anyway).
No character restriction, so use who you like.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:14 
Excellent Member

Signed!

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:27 
Excellent Member

This seems quite confusing. Is the the Sunwalker a girl, or more properly said, "a cow"?

What about Flamestrike? It seems there's an elf in there, or maybe it's an evil fairy, or a troll maybe?

Reply to topic  [ 3554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 72  Next