Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 3554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 72  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hearthstone thread
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 0:23 
Hello Hello Hello

I believe he has a control style Pally and Warlock on the go.

Would be interested to see the decks if you could post them up EBG :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 0:45 
Legendary Boogeyman

Exclusively Warlock now.

Attachment:
warlock.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:46 
Hello Hello Hello

That's a pretty bespoke deck, interesting stuff. Do you play it like Handlock overall? Only one Sunfury and Argus seems a bit strange, but then you do have some big legendaries in there too.

And what are your targets for the Enhance-o-Mechanic, is it just for the really big stuff for massive finishers?

EDIT - Thought I'd have a go with this deck myself but I'm missing the Enhance-o which I can afford to craft, and also Sneed's, which I can't. I might have to just replace Sneed's with something else.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:59 
Hello Hello Hello

Just taken the EBG warlock deck for a test drive, me likey!

I've swapped out Sneed's for Jaraxxus and Enhance-o for Harrison Jones (might put Loatheb in that slot instead). Not sure how critical EBG thinks his original choices are but my replacements are in the same slots in the deck, albeit with different effects.

Lots of versatility in there, and very enjoyable to play.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 13:26 
Legendary Boogeyman

Cheers, and yes it's pretty much handlock. Enhance-o was a recent swap that hits occasionally but is quite good. Against a rushy deck it can slap taunt on whatever I've got out, and if it gives windfury to a giant the game is pretty much over. Nobody ever expects it either. Sneeds is fine depending on the deck I'm against, it'll sit in the hand against hunter.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 13:47 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

I have enhance-o in quite a few of my decks - it can (if the RNG dictates) give you a finish at least a move early - mines tends to be with a bunch of Murloc's but if it triggers windfury on the right one then its game over

I was spectating a few of EBG's games last night and on a number of games when he threw it down if just one minion had gained Windfury it would have ended the game.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 14:06 
Legendary Boogeyman

Now I appear to be on a massive bullshit loss streak. Sometimes it's quite hard to resist hurling the mouse into the wall.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 14:55 
Hello Hello Hello

Don't punch the wall. I did that last year after a really bad beat, motherfucker hurt for days (and was sore on and off for weeks), and in winter I could still feel it when it was really cold.

(In all fairness I didn't actually intend to punch the wall, the idea was I'd punch my daughter's paper house that she'd made which was stuffed with cotton wool, so like punching a cushion really. Unbeknown to me she'd removed all the cotton wool to use it for something else, so my fist effectively had two sheets of A4 between it and a solid brick wall. Properly fucking danced around the room after that one.)

Also EBG, I'm just not finding any targets for Mind Control Tech with your deck, where are you finding that it's useful?

I've now got Loatheb in your Enhance-o-Mechanic slot, and Kel'Thuzad in the Sneed's slot, although I haven't had Kel'Thuzad go off on anything yet.

The end game seems to be what you'd expect really, Boom, Raggy, and the Giants. Everything else just seems to be controlling the game down to that point. A bit like working towards Alex > Grommash with the warrior deck.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 16:29 
8-Bit Champion

Sometimes Murloc decks just work

Attachment:
Screenshot 2015-03-15 13.48.42.png

He dropped an inconsequential minion - i played the murloc leader and ended the game on turn 4

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 16:30 
Legendary Boogeyman

MCT hits most often in mech mage, sometimes druid. Maybe hunter rarely or rogue if it's one of those bullshit token spell decks. I'd say Kel'tzd was probably too slow for this deck. If I switch out anything else it might be rag. He's probably most useful squashing a Shade in a Druid deck.

I also currently have a 0% win rate against Oil rogue. It's seemingly impossible to win. The taunts get sapped, the oil comes out on a minion and weapon, face, bladeflurry, and evicerates to finish me off from anything < 20 health. Really hard.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 16:55 
Hello Hello Hello

zaphod79 wrote:
Sometimes Murloc decks just work

He dropped an inconsequential minion - i played the murloc leader and ended the game on turn 4

No offence zaphod but they really are the decks I loathe and despise with a passion.

Get the right draw and it's a win against anything, basically. May as well just flip a coin.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 17:01 
Hello Hello Hello

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
MCT hits most often in mech mage, sometimes druid. Maybe hunter rarely or rogue if it's one of those bullshit token spell decks. I'd say Kel'tzd was probably too slow for this deck. If I switch out anything else it might be rag. He's probably most useful squashing a Shade in a Druid deck.

I also currently have a 0% win rate against Oil rogue. It's seemingly impossible to win. The taunts get sapped, the oil comes out on a minion and weapon, face, bladeflurry, and evicerates to finish me off from anything < 20 health. Really hard.

Yeah I've already swapped out KT for a Troggzor, just because it's another card that fits in the slot really :D

Raggy is one of those cards who can be incredibly good when he's good, but next to useless in other situations, or even a fucking liability if he gets facelessed or something.

As for MCT I sort of feel about him that if he's got anything to pinch you're probably already too far behind, but maybe I've just had a strange run. Also of course I'm down at Rank 16 (well, 17 now, grrr) so will be getting different games.

Let me know if you make any changes to the deck, I'd be interested to see what changes you make.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 17:20 
Legendary Boogeyman

Mystic for enhance-o and Alex for Rag.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 17:33 
Hello Hello Hello

I've dropped the Sneed's slot completely now and put a Kezan Mystic in (same card added as you, different slot to your change :)), I think there are enough Hunters running around to make it worth a slot at the lower ranks, and even then it's not a terrible body on the board against non-secret decks.

I like the idea of Alex in the deck too, I'll see how it goes but I can see me making that change as well. Raggy is a bit too random for my tastes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:01 
Legendary Boogeyman

This grind is totally consuming. I don't think my deck is *quite* good enough as I can't maintain a high enough win rate. If it's not up at 60% the progress is so slow. You have to play 100 games to progress a rank. I can see why people get stuck at 5.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:06 
Hello Hello Hello

As per our conversation last night I'd be delighted to see you make it to legend but can totally understand you deciding you've had enough at some point :) The problem I have with playing Ranked games at high ranks is they really do get very demanding (admittedly I've peaked in the past at Rank 9, but even that was serving up one brutal game after another, any mistake was basically game over), and you start to tend to see a lot of the same decks.

In Casual whilst the game still adjusts your opponents based on your ability, you tend to see a much greater variety of decks and you don't get the same sense of raging injustice about really bad beats because there's no little star being lost :D

As for your deck, the version I'm running is substantially the same but with a couple of changes, I've dropped one of the top-end legendary slots completely and also the Enhance-o who I didn't have anyway, I don't think the deck needs that much high end power and Raggy can be seriously hit or miss (literally!). Enhance-o I can't see really swinging a game in that you've probably already won by the time you play him is my feeling, and he won't pull back a lost position. Also, too random.

In comes a Mystic who doesn't necessarily hit that often but when she does she can absolutely be a game winner, especially against some of those ruinous Mage secrets, and she can totally destroy a Hunter or a Paladin's tempo. Against a non-secret class or deck, she's still a moderately respectable body on the board.

Also in comes a Loatheb, really helps against Rogues who the deck struggles with otherwise, has obvious utility against all spell-casters, and puts a decent body on the board. I actually prefer him to Raggy.

Sneed's has been replaced with Alex. Alex is awesome, has a guaranteed effect and you can choose when to invoke it. (Unlike Sneed's whose deathrattle is random and can be silenced.) Alex has totally saved my arse a couple of times when played defensively, and the impact when used offensively against another control class is massive.

As for the deck in general I was wondering why it feels so strong and I think it's because it's completely dropped the Mountain Giants which are usually considered Hand Lock essentials. Dropping those Giants and the focus on Giants/Drakes gives the deck so much more versatility and utility, seems to be able answer lots and lots of questions.

Finally, and maybe a bit of a 'Yeah well durrrr' on my part, but I've started keeping a Molten in my hand against aggro like Hunter or Mech Mage, as chances are you'll be down at 10 health in no time, in which case the Molten is free, get it taunted up and boom, the game just got a lot harder for them.

This and Freeze Mage are currently my favourite two decks. I lost patience with Priest, it's just too easy for your opponent to second-guess all your moves as Priest is such a known quantity and can only do control.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 13:41 
Hello Hello Hello

New favourite streamer is 'Hyped', who despite the rather excitable name is a really chilled out guy to watch, lots of clear explanation as to what he's doing, why he's doing it, the specifics of the match-up he's involved in and so on.

Still watching plenty of Trump of course, but Hyped has been brilliant for learning Freeze Mage.

I did intend to watch the latest episode of Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe on iPlayer last thing yesterday, but just watched Hyped instead. I wonder how traditional media competes with stuff like this?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 14:26 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
I did intend to watch the latest episode of Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe on iPlayer last thing yesterday, but just watched Hyped instead. I wonder how traditional media competes with stuff like this?

I'm not sure why it has to; any more than a newspaper needs to compete with GameFaqs. On this one occasion you personally changed your mind from watching a TV comedy show to watching an online stream dedicated to play throughs of a specific video game. There's nothing about that which invites a comparison outside this single incredibly specific example surely?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 16:54 
8-Bit Champion

Trump gets to rank 1 and the deck he was using

http://i.imgur.com/NNZHWaX.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 17:05 
Hello Hello Hello

Hmmm, I have all those cards, I might take the deck for a spin.

RANK ONE LEGEND HERE I COME.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 17:30 
Legendary Boogeyman

I have opted to take today off. I'm totally frazzled from playing 70-80 matches a day for the last 3 days. How people do this every day, every month, is beyond me. Who has the time?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 17:42 
Hello Hello Hello

Winners never quit!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 17:44 
8-Bit Champion

I have opted to take today off. I'm totally frazzled from playing 70-80 matches a day for the last 3 days. How people do this every day, every month, is beyond me. Who has the time?

People who are earning a living off it

Or people who simply cant stop playing it :-)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 18:25 
Sleepyhead

Maybe they win more often :DD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 18:52 
Legendary Boogeyman

Curiosity wrote:

Maybe they win more often :DD

Speak up, I can't hear you from all the way down there at rank 20. :insincere:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 20:28 
Hello Hello Hello

Unsurprisingly that Trump pally deck is really solid, worth having a crack with I'd say :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 21:48 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

Hearthly wrote:
Unsurprisingly that Trump pally deck is really solid, worth having a crack with I'd say :)

I am loathing all who play that deck at the moment, it is a horrible to play control warrior against. Any playing that deck deserve to burn in the seventh circle of hell.

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 21:52 
Hello Hello Hello

Slightly Green wrote:
I am loathing all who play that deck at the moment, it is a horrible to play control warrior against. Any playing that deck deserve to burn in the seventh circle of hell.

I dunno you can't really cuss it up too much IMO, it's not some cheap-ass aggro deck and you have to make intelligent plays and make the most of your cards - it's a pretty control style deck itself really.

The only decks I object to are awful aggro decks that are literally unbeatable with good draw and have the game closed down by Turn 4 or 5 as if the opponent simply didn't exist - this is not one of those decks by a country mile.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 21:53 
ugvm'er at heart...

Hearthly wrote:

The only decks I object to are awful aggro decks that are literally unbeatable with good draw and have the game closed down by Turn 4 or 5 as if the opponent simply didn't exist

Really? You haven't mentioned it :D

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
:kiss:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 22:01 
Hello Hello Hello

I may have tangentially referred to it once or twice.

But not more than that, I never go on about things, it's just not my style.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 22:10 
Hello Hello Hello

Mind you, that Knife Juggler > Muster on the same turn is seriously fucking dirty. (And if you can get two Jugglers out.....)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 22:52 
Legendary Boogeyman

I've been playing against that Pally deck or variations. It's seriously hard to beat. If they've got a board full of 1/1 reinforcements on turn 4, you shadowflame that shit as a warlock. The obvious quartermaster play is just too strong and the hits keep coming. Mostly I can fend it off until turn 15 but then I'm out of juice and responses. The win rate is > 0 but it's not high.

The best tactic is to get yourself low to drop the giants for free, then drop a healbot or two to get yourself out of his burst range, and then drop Alex to double-pound the face to finish off.

So many things fuck that up. Mostly equality/consecrate or peacekeepers and they always seem to have them as they need them. It's a fucker.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:38 
Sleepyhead

Playing at shitty levels, people play the Pally deck so badly it is almost a guaranteed win. Be interested to see how it plays well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:59 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
Playing at shitty levels, people play the Pally deck so badly it is almost a guaranteed win. Be interested to see how it plays well.

I'm sure I'm playing it very sub-optimally in a lot of ways (I haven't seen Trump play the deck), but even with a bit of smarts about you its power is very clear to see.

Not entirely sure on the best mulligans for certain face-offs though, although I'm getting better at that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 17:23 
Legendary Boogeyman

I have to say the Druid is a very favourable match up from my deck. It's all based around the savage roar burst and when you know how they set it up, it's quite easy to play around it the entire game and smush them down. Only bad draw beats you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 20:01 
Hello Hello Hello

What do you look for in that match-up mulligan wise and plays wise?

Druids are one of the classes I have the most trouble with but they're also perhaps my least played class so I'm just not that familiar with them. (For example I'm MASSIVELY better against Priest since I put some time in on the class myself.)

I've also taken the Mystic out and put Harrison back in, but that's partly because I enjoy destroying bastard Rogue's weapons so much, rather than because it's the best choice :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 0:42 
Legendary Boogeyman

Healbots and taunts. That and silenced ancient watchers early on to put on pressure.

I have to say the giants are almost useless as you can't let yourself go down low enough to put yourself in savage roar range. If you play them at all they'll be costing 7 or more. You chip away at them and they'll be using their useful burst to get your stuff out of the way. Taunting up the boom or shredder really throws a spanner in their works. I'd say the win rate was a good 80%+.

This paladin deck though. Fuck it in the arsehole. You can't stop yourself being overun by turn 5. Turn 1 coin shieldbot, turn 2 knife juggler, turn 3 muster. Turn 4 truesilver to destroy your small threat. Turn 5 quarter master. Play anything big later and it'll be equality consecrated. It's utter fucking bollocks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:43 
Hello Hello Hello

Maybe an extra Hellfire to take out the Quarter Mastered Recruits? Does the perfect three damage!

I suppose Shadowflame could go up in the value to have in your hand as well. Also if the Knife Juggler gets played independently of the Muster, it's very vulnerable to Darkbomb and suchlike.

It is a very powerful deck though, with good draw it enters the realms of feeling a bit unfair.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:00 
Legendary Boogeyman

Shadowflame is fine but generally will take up your whole turn and you can't build momentum. It's just a bit relentless. You might be getting low so you throw down a healbot on turn 5-7 but that just gets swatted with a Truesilver and the full board hits you for at least 8 again. A rushy hunter would probably be best against it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 17:23 
Meh

The quadruple secret with double mystics tempo mage is diabolical.

Which means of course that is what I am currently playing. Great fun and incredibly fast to ladder/farm wins with.

It also a great match up with the trump paladin.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/207568-b ... tempo-mage

I am not sure what the paladin deck posted in the comments is but I can only say that I have 80% against all paladin decks with over 30 games played. :)

Shaman is what gives me problems.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 19:26 
Hello Hello Hello

Not familiar with that deck at all, any particular trick with it?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:00 
Meh

Timing the secrets is the key.

You don't want them too early unless it is versus aggro. The combination of mirror entity and spell blocker is very powerful and leads to a lot of conceding.

No need to rush just keep tempo and the opponent soon folds.

I have been trying out the Paladin deck and have plunged down the rankings. Not sure what I am doing wrong but I will persevere. I lost for a day with the mage deck, all part of the learning process for me.

Edit: Down three ranks yesterday with the Paladin deck and up four today. I wasn't playing it aggro enough :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:17 
ugvm'er at heart...

I have pre-ordered.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:24 
ugvm'er at heart...

I have also given up my tracking, i've been running it for months and i'm a solid 55% player, no matter what I do, good enough for me :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 14:03 
Legendary Boogeyman

Meanwhile I have about 1100 gold since I started saving about a week ago. I'll have plenty by the time the expansion is released.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 18:04 
Meh

I have noticed a few people using the exclusive pre order molten core card back and it makes my eyes bleed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 21:23 
Hello Hello Hello

Pre-ordered for me as well, although I am still using the original vanilla card back, as I have done since Day 1, to lull my opponents into a false sense of security that I'm a crappy n00b. When in actual fact I'm just a crappy old-timer.

Awesome game, love it to pieces, genuinely look forward to playing it every day, and just love the voyage of discovery of trying out loads of different decks (which people smarter than me work out :D).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 20:32 
8-Bit Champion

'Breaking' Hearthstone

http://kotaku.com/hearthstone-player-is ... 1693126341

Quote:
'Hearthstone Player Is Six Hours Into Attempt At Longest Turn Ever'

Hearthstone is great, in part, because it's so damn fast. If you don't make a move in 90 seconds, tough luck. One player, however, has figured out how to make a single turn last more than 40 hours

As Eurogamer discovered, a player named Mamytwink is trying to break—or shred into a breathable mist of virtual cardboard flakes, as it were—the world record for longest Hearthstone turn ever. His plan involves setting off a chain reaction of attacks that will take more than 40 hours to complete.

The short version? Mamytwink has seven Prophet Velens in play, each of which double the number of arcane missiles he, as a mage, fires. He's buffed each Velen with numerous other cards to boost damage even further. To set things in motion, he played nine arcane missile cards in this one turn, which—thanks to all the Prophet Velens and their buffs—comes out to 28,752 missiles (258,768 points of damage). If Mamytwink's math is correct, it should take somewhere in the ballpark of 43 hours for the animation of all those missiles firing to complete.

Here's the math, if you're interested:

Now, you might be wondering why his opponent isn't a charred pile of stardust—a few thousand times over—at this point. It's because they're using Ice Block, which staves off even the most certain of dooms for one turn. Sitting through said eternal turn, though? Sorry, that's beyond the limits of Ice Block's powers.

So far, the turn's been going for over six hours, which is already ridiculous by most metrics. And yet, it's only getting started. If you're wondering where Mamytwink is, well, he's out or sleeping or something. I can't blame him. You'd have to be nuts to sit there and watch sparkly wooshy beams ineffectually ping off an absentee opponent for 43 hours. Anyway, I'm gonna get back to watching this stream of sparkly wooshy beams ineffectually pinging off an absentee opponent for 43 hours.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:52 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

When does his 43 hour turn end? This could throw a spanner in the works

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:29 
8-Bit Champion

Slightly Green wrote:
When does his 43 hour turn end? This could throw a spanner in the works

It probably will - when I posted it last night he was around hour 6 the time they have posted for the maintenance would be somewhere around hour 20 i think

Reply to topic  [ 3554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 72  Next