Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 3554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 72  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hearthstone thread
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:22 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
I'm amazed you didn't realise that from the get go. It's both kinda obvious and clearly the best way to do things.

I'd disagree on both counts.

If everyone gets a completely random card draft then in the rich fullness of time it'll all even itself out without any kind of jiggery-pokery behind the scenes.

It's pitched as 'Forge a deck from random cards, then see how long you can last in the Arena.'

There's no bit in brackets that says, 'Oh but by the way if you get really good cards and/or play really well, we'll start to fuck with things in the background to make it harder for you. And don't worry if you do completely shit either, 'cause we've got that one covered too.'

To my mind it shouldn't do anything other than look for another player who's currently requesting an Arena game from the server, and pair you off with them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:44 
Legendary Boogeyman

Hearthly wrote:
To my mind it shouldn't do anything other than look for another player who's currently requesting an Arena game from the server, and pair you off with them.

That's sort of fair, but I also see the logic in trying to make sure the really good players can't just steamroller their way to 12 wins every time by luckily drawing against fairly noobish players that barely know what they're doing.

Certainly on the receiving end, you could go 0/3 on your Arena because you were randomly matched with someone currently winning 11/0 with a killer deck, and that would suck.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 
Sleepyhead

Yup.

You see, all (or as close as makes no difference) the arena runs you have made have benefitted from this. Imagine you've got a new deck, it's okay, and you get three in a row of top players with top decks. You go 0-3. This would happen FAR more often than if there was no matchmaking aspect. Your regular 3-3 or 4-3 runs? No matchmaking and they're probably 1-3 or 0-3.

I imagine that without the matchmaking you'd probably have fallen out of love with the Arena a long time before now.

Not to mention that it improves the quality of the games. When I'm hitting 5 or 6 wins, I know that each game after this is going to be great! You get to 7 wins and every deck you play is strong, and generally with a very good player. It escalates the importance, excitement and enjoyment of each and every game. Otherwise you'd be at 11-0 and face off against someone playing their first ever game with a terrible deck. You crush them; they quit and never play again as they keep getting annihilated... you've gotta say that's significantly less satisfying than knowing you actually earned those wins.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:01 
Hello Hello Hello

Well they should do some sort of Arena ranking system, rather than do it covertly behind the scenes.

A bit like the Starcraft ladders.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:13 
ugvm'er at heart...

I been doin some countin.

Apparently there are 412 cards in total in the game (not counting golden editions of cards):

Neutral has 157
Each class has 25 Cards (9x25 = 225)
Naxx has 30 Cards

I've added up the cards I have left to collect:

Neutral = 50
Druid = 6
Hunter = 5
Mage = 8
Paladin = 6
Priest = 7
Rogue = 6
Shaman = 4
Warlock = 7
Warrior = 6

Total = 105 cards left to get, of which:

Common = 2
Rare = 34
Epic = 45
Legendary = 24

Which would cost me a grand total of:

Common = 80 dust
Rare = 3400 dust
Epic = 18000 dust
Legendary = 38400 dust

Total = 59880 dust!

Seems I have a way to go yet :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:32 
Legendary Boogeyman

Mmm that's fun, I might do the same after this latest arena run. 2/0 atm.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 13:39 
Legendary Boogeyman

Another 6/3, but disappointed after being at 5/0. There were a couple of matches I really should have won, and it was achingly close in the last game.

Pack (Golden Rare, Rare), 75g and 50 dust.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 16:35 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'm so glad zoo is this amazing deck, as I only had one more warlock fight to win for my current quest.

7 losses in a row i'm up to now...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 16:39 
ugvm'er at heart...

...and then I go and win the next one on the 4th turn. I should have posted earlier.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 16:44 
Legendary Boogeyman

Ok Trooper's card counting got me sufficiently curious as to what my own total was, but I couldn't think of a good way to do it. So I made one:

Attachment:
Hearthstone Cards.xlsx

Tabs for each Hero, with all class cards, plus a neutral tab, which calculates dust requirements, and totals how many sets of cards you have 0, 1 or 2 of.

There's also a grand total tab which adds everything together. I *believe* I've correctly calculated the dust requirements to factor in that you only need 1 of any Legendary rather than 2 for everything else, and of course, Basic Gold cards can only be acquired by levelling your characters.

This spreadsheet contains all of my own cards in the collection, and is built on the assumption that you're aiming for 2 of everything.

Please feel free to download and modify to accommodate your own collection, because this thing just took me at least 2 hours to make! :DD

Edit: There will be *slight* inaccuracies because some cards are rewards for collecting sets of other cards (Captain's parrot, for example) and the gold can only be crafted after acquiring the normal one).

Edit2: And now I can see my collection properly, I've just realised I only needed to make 1 more Murloc to get Old Murk Eye, which I just did! Woo, another Legendary down.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 17:22 
Hello Hello Hello

Oh looks interesting EBG I'll give that a go.

Do you certify that it is malware and virus free? :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 17:25 
ugvm'er at heart...

:D I considered spreadsheeting it, but then I figured there would be someone even more nerdy than me who might ;)

I'll give it a go, cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 17:27 
Legendary Boogeyman

Hearthly wrote:
Do you certify that it is malware and virus free? :D

Yes, just enter your bank account number and sort code and I guarantee* no issues.

* Not guaranteed.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 17:51 
ugvm'er at heart...

I noticed that you had only calculated the crafting costs for the neutrals, so here is a version with crafting costs for all classes and a summary of cards needed by rarity :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 18:00 
Legendary Boogeyman

Cool. I'll incorporate that and probably doing something to highlight things based on their card type (with relevant colours).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 18:32 
ugvm'er at heart...

Here you go, now there is a "nicer" totals page which shows each class :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 18:37 
ugvm'er at heart...

Probably could do with a nicer total for everything on that page too, and it might be easier to put in your numbers if the card lists were ordered the same way as they are in the collection.

I'll have a play later if you haven't already.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:37 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

I am waiting for v6.2 of the spreadsheet, you know the one that inputs the data itself so I don't have to do anything :D

Good job btw

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:27 
ugvm'er at heart...

This is fun! :D

This is where i'm up to.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 11.20.48.jpg

The summary page tells you how many normal cards you are missing for each class, their rarity, how much it would cost to craft them. Plus it tells you the same info for the neutral cards, and also all cards.
It also tells you how much dust you have available in any disenchantable golden cards you have in your collection, if you are like me and aren't bothered about them and just use them for their dust value :)

I'm going through and swapping the cards around so they are ordered by the collection order, which makes it easy to fill in the number, then i'll upload this version.
All you have to do is fill in the cards you have in the relevant tab, and everything is automagically calculated from that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:42 
Legendary Boogeyman

Having already filled in my cards, this will make switching over to anything new almost impossibly difficult ;)

When I was sourcing the card list, the fields did also contain mana cost, which I discarded as somewhat irrelevent, however the order of the list in the game goes by mana cost then alphabetical, so had I left that in then the 'correct' order would have been easy to implement. Ooops. Sorry about that :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:50 
ugvm'er at heart...

It actually seems to go by mana cost, then type, then alphabet. Which is quite annoying :D

Oh, and if the cards are in order, it's a 10 minute job to fill in the numbers ;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:15 
Legendary Boogeyman

I don't think I can be arsed to do even that! Although I'm finding it very enjoyable so far to update the sheet every time I get a card for something, even basic goldens. The trick will be remembering to do it.

I was quite surprised just how many of the class cards I have, I don't need very many at all to finish them off. Neutrals is another matter...

Anyway I've earned enough for my third arena in as many days, fingers crossed it's not a shit one.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:59 
ugvm'er at heart...

All done :)

This is me

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 12.56.58.jpg

I've added two summary pages, a normal one and a golden card one.
Everything is sorted to make filling out easier.
All you have to do is fill in the numbers in the yellow boxes on each sheet, should take about 10-15 minutes the first time, everything after that is calculated.

Attachment:
Hearthstone Cards V4.xlsx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 13:01 
ugvm'er at heart...

I might post it on reddit later, if that is ok with you, I'll give you equal credit :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 13:07 
Legendary Boogeyman

Trooper wrote:
I might post it on reddit later, if that is ok with you, I'll give you equal credit :)

That's fine, although I already posted a version yesterday and it tanked! No upvotes ;(

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 13:12 
ugvm'er at heart...

Heh, I won't bother then :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 13:26 
Legendary Boogeyman

7/1 on this Arena so far... must... hold on.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 13:54 
Legendary Boogeyman

Bah, 9/3.

155 gold, pack, Golden Sense Demons, 25 dust. Not bad.

Last game ridiculous, insane deck.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 15:17 
Legendary Boogeyman

New Arena with my winnings. Went 1/2, and somehow pulled back to 7/3. Adopted a truly silly strategy in the last game by trying to coldblood conceal a zombie chow, and I got him to 4, and then it went horribly wrong and I was dead on turn 5. So close!

Reward: A pack and 185 gold.

The gold for more Arena keeps coming! It's possible to keep it going! :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 16:40 
ugvm'er at heart...

My arena card draws have been terrible recently. This is what i'm working with this time, and these were the best choices! Be lucky to get to 3/3 with this shit.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 16.38.37.jpg

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 16.38.47.jpg

2 defenders of argus is nice, especially as I have an ancient watcher. I dropped the watcher on turn 2 and died on turn 10 without seeing one..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 16:51 
ugvm'er at heart...

Trooper wrote:
2 defenders of argus is nice, especially as I have an ancient watcher. I dropped the watcher on turn 2 and died on turn 10 without seeing one..

Exactly the fucking same again!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 17:00 
ugvm'er at heart...

...and 0/3. Don't think i've ever had that before! :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 18:09 
Legendary Boogeyman

I've had 0/3 once or twice. Sometimes the draft is irrecoverably bad! What was the reward?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 18:18 
ugvm'er at heart...

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
I've had 0/3 once or twice. Sometimes the draft is irrecoverably bad! What was the reward?

1 pack, 25 dust.

The pack was junk, so I got 40 dust from that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 19:43 
Legendary Boogeyman

6/3 on the third run of the day. A pack and 140 gold. Pack had a golden common.

I have enough for a fourth, so fuck it, let's see how long I can keep going.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 21:27 
Legendary Boogeyman

I will pretend that people are even reading this and keep posting.

Fourth run: 7/3. Pack, 175 gold.

I appear to be good enough to make a consistent profit. Currently at 285 gold so at least enough for two more runs tomorrow. Phew. I don't think I've played as much Hearthstone as I have today... ever.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:57 
ugvm'er at heart...

Ok, so this spreadsheet now give me extra annoyance. I have 2000 dust, do I craft a new legendary, and if so which one, or do I finish off my Shaman, as that only needs 900 dust...

I wouldn't have known that if I didn't track it :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:39 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
Ok, so this spreadsheet now give me extra annoyance. I have 2000 dust, do I craft a new legendary, and if so which one, or do I finish off my Shaman, as that only needs 900 dust...

Surely a legendary is a better spend than class cards for a class you don't even play? Unless you're just getting a bit OCD about completing the sets? (Plus of course, many of the class cards are absolute stinkers and you'd never actually use them.)

I'm sat on 1755 dust at the moment so have the luxury of choosing a legendary but I really don't know what I want....

I'd love to do a control warrior but I'm missing FOUR legendaries for that deck....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:47 
Legendary Boogeyman

Left last night's Arena on 3/2.

Stupidly I'm likely to craft captain greenskin soon, so I can complete the set and unlock the captain's parrot.

I also discovered that while you can craft gelbin mekatorp, the gold version is locked out as it was a promo reward for spending money during beta. I imagine they'll eventually change it as it's pretty inconsistent to lock out a card, especially to all 1.0 first time players whether they spent the cash or not!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:53 
ugvm'er at heart...

Hearthly wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Surely a legendary is a better spend than class cards for a class you don't even play? Unless you're just getting a bit OCD about completing the sets?

A bit OCD? Have you seen the spreadsheet we have created? :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:02 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
A bit OCD? Have you seen the spreadsheet we have created? :D

I'll download and fill it in today, yesterday afternoon and evening disappeared into a long session at the pub followed up by a seriously horrible Chinese meal. (So bad we actually complained, had two of the meals completely removed from the bill and 20% knocked off the rest of the bill.)

OCD or not though, a legendary has to be #1 Priority IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:04 
Legendary Boogeyman

The damn spreadsheet made me play about 40 games yesterday, including some rare levelling up of Warlock and getting some golden basics. Each one was noted accordingly ;)

I think the best strategy is merely to acquire cards until you know there's something you want, and then craft only that. Crafting for completeness is unwise unless it's to literally finish off the collection as you might unpack it naturally in the meantime.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:06 
ugvm'er at heart...

Legendary cards ordered by usefulness (as defined by the amount of decks that use them on hearthhead)
The Naxx cards are out of sequence as they are so new, but being as everyone has them already, then that doesn't really make a difference when you are deciding which legendary to craft next :)

Ragnaros the Firelord
Bloodmage Thalnos
Leeroy Jenkins
Cairne Bloodhoof
Sylvanas Windrunner
The Black Knight
Ysera
Alexstrasza
Nat Pagle
Tirion Fordring
Tinkmaster Overspark
Grommash Hellscream
Lord Jaraxxus
Archmage Antonidas
Edwin VanCleef
Cenarius
Hogger
Malygos
Old Murk-Eye
Prophet Velen
King Mukla
Al'Akir the Windlord
Baron Geddon
Illidan Stormrage
Loatheb
Harrison Jones
Captain Greenskin
King Krush
Deathwing
Onyxia
Gruul
Lorewalker Cho
The Beast
Gelbin Mekkatorque
Maexxna
Baron Rivendare
Feugen
Stalagg
Nozdormu
Millhouse Manastorm
Elite Tauren Chieftain
Kel'Thuzad

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:09 
ugvm'er at heart...

From that list, this is what I have:

Ragnaros the Firelord
Bloodmage Thalnos
Leeroy Jenkins
Cairne Bloodhoof
Sylvanas Windrunner
The Black Knight
Ysera
Alexstrasza
Nat Pagle
Tirion Fordring
Tinkmaster Overspark
Grommash Hellscream
Lord Jaraxxus
Archmage Antonidas
Edwin VanCleef
Cenarius
Hogger
Malygos
Old Murk-Eye
Prophet Velen
King Mukla
Al'Akir the Windlord
Baron Geddon
Illidan Stormrage
Loatheb
Harrison Jones
Captain Greenskin
King Krush
Deathwing
Onyxia
Gruul
Lorewalker Cho
The Beast
Gelbin Mekkatorque
Maexxna
Baron Rivendare
Feugen
Stalagg
Nozdormu
Millhouse Manastorm
Elite Tauren Chieftain
Kel'Thuzad

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:15 
Legendary Boogeyman

I've crossed the ones I have out - still LOTS needed.

Ragnaros the Firelord
Bloodmage Thalnos
Leeroy Jenkins
Cairne Bloodhoof
Sylvanas Windrunner
The Black Knight
Ysera
Alexstrasza
Nat Pagle
Tirion Fordring
Tinkmaster Overspark
Grommash Hellscream
Lord Jaraxxus
Archmage Antonidas
Edwin VanCleef
Cenarius
Hogger
Malygos
Old Murk-Eye
Prophet Velen
King Mukla
Al'Akir the Windlord
Baron Geddon
Illidan Stormrage
Loatheb
Harrison Jones
Captain Greenskin
King Krush
Deathwing
Onyxia
Gruul
Lorewalker Cho
The Beast
Gelbin Mekkatorque
Maexxna
Baron Rivendare
Feugen
Stalagg
Nozdormu
Millhouse Manastorm
Elite Tauren Chieftain
Kel'Thuzad

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:28 
Hello Hello Hello

Same list for me....

Ragnaros the Firelord
Bloodmage Thalnos
Leeroy Jenkins
Cairne Bloodhoof
Sylvanas Windrunner
The Black Knight
Ysera
Alexstrasza
Nat Pagle
Tirion Fordring
Tinkmaster Overspark
Grommash Hellscream
Lord Jaraxxus
Archmage Antonidas
Edwin VanCleef
Cenarius
Hogger
Malygos
Old Murk-Eye
Prophet Velen
King Mukla
Al'Akir the Windlord
Baron Geddon
Illidan Stormrage
Loatheb
Harrison Jones
Captain Greenskin
King Krush
Deathwing
Onyxia
Gruul
Lorewalker Cho
The Beast
Gelbin Mekkatorque
Maexxna
Baron Rivendare
Feugen
Stalagg
Nozdormu
Millhouse Manastorm
Elite Tauren Chieftain
Kel'Thuzad

So quite a few in there but some real shit ones.....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:29 
ugvm'er at heart...

I crafted Rag and Leeroy, the rest of mine I got in packs, naxx or as a reward. I might craft Sylvanas as I can see that being useful in most decks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:33 
ugvm'er at heart...

Modified my list to strikethrough, as that is a much better way of showing it :D

I really should dust my golden cho and get a better legendary, but he is great fun when you just want to arse around :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:35 
ugvm'er at heart...

The other thing I really need is the giants, I don't have any of them. I keep waiting for them in packs, but they never arrive :(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:37 
Legendary Boogeyman

I think I dusted my Nat Pagle, judging that in his post-nerf state that I'd never use him and the dust would be better.

Dusting is so inefficient though really, you get 1/4 of its worth, so you really need to be desperate to get whatever you're looking to craft. It hasn't stopped me doing just that on multiple occasions!

Sylvannas is a big want of mine. For Priest or Warrior it's a fairly easy mind control to kill it yourself and steal whatever tasty minion is on the other side. It's also pretty good against a lone rag on the board.

I crafted one Molten giant the other day, took a lot of disechants and I didn't end up using it. They're all epics so rather expensive and exceedingly rare in regular packs.

Reply to topic  [ 3554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 72  Next