Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 3554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 72  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hearthstone thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 17:35 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Hearthly wrote:
(I can't think of any easy way for a miracle rogue to get rid of him, as for example a sap would cost 7 instead of 2, and even a Prep would cost 5.)

Ironbeak owl and silence it ?

It does remove one other card from the deck but assuming that things are going well thats a more minor inconvenience and as its a minion it doesn't gain the penalty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 18:40 
Hello Hello Hello

zaphod79 wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
(I can't think of any easy way for a miracle rogue to get rid of him, as for example a sap would cost 7 instead of 2, and even a Prep would cost 5.)

Ironbeak owl and silence it ?

It does remove one other card from the deck but assuming that things are going well thats a more minor inconvenience and as its a minion it doesn't gain the penalty

Well that would come under 'no easy way to get rid of him' :D The instant you start diluting the deck is the instant it stops being the juggernaut it is I'd guess.

The way it's set up at the moment there's just no consideration for putting other cards in there, and even losing the tempo of the deck for that one turn could prove critical. (And that's assuming you have the one owl in your hand at that point, as it stands at the moment there are cards you mulligan aggressively for, adding the Owl to the list would, again, be troublesome.)

We'll have to see how it pans out I guess, it might matter more at higher ranks than lower ranks, and suchlike.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 18:45 
ugvm'er at heart...

I seem to have made it rank 13 this season, just by arseing around and doing whatever I needed to do for quests so far.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 18:47 
ugvm'er at heart...

NAXX IS OUT! GO GO GO!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 18:52 
Legendary Boogeyman

Lots of chunky cards there. It's not so much that individually they're strong, but I can't begin to imagine the new combos that will be dreamt up when placed with the existing set. There are going to be some very cunning and clever deathrattle plays to be had.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 18:53 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
NAXX IS OUT! GO GO GO!!!!

Eh? In the EU, now?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 18:56 
Legendary Boogeyman

My client is updating! Hot piss.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 18:57 
Hello Hello Hello

WEE SELF WEE SELF.

Attachment:
weeself.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 18:59 
Sleepyhead

Wait, silence doesn't nullify battle cries does it? I thought that once they were in play, they were in play. A minion doesn't lose 1/1 because your SSC got killed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 19:02 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
Wait, silence doesn't nullify battle cries does it? I thought that once they were in play, they were in play. A minion doesn't lose 1/1 because your SSC got killed.

Oh yes of course, there's nothing that can stop Loatheb's effect from taking place as it's a battlecry.

Good point Curio, so even sapping him, or indeed anything else at all, would make no difference whatsoever.

ALSO I AM IN NAXXRAMAS NOW.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 19:22 
Legendary Boogeyman

Well, I'm getting my arse handed to me here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 19:29 
Hello Hello Hello

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
Well, I'm getting my arse handed to me here.

I one-shotted the first boss with my pally deck (pretty comprehensively too).

Second boss I lost the first one but the deck style you need to beat her is basically telegraphed by her hero power, so second go on her.

Third boss looks a bit more interesting although I am on top of it at the moment.

Also, the game has slowed down to an absolute crawl, even on these AI battles.

Aaaannnd that's the third boss down. (So one-shotted that too.) This wing might not last too long at this rate.....

EDIT - And now I've been booted out.

Sigh....

Attachment:
sigh2.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 19:33 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

Cleared the wing on normal with no probs, the Class challenge for Druid is looking a little more interesting

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 19:34 
Legendary Boogeyman

Me too. Not exactly that surprising. I imagine it'll be like this for days, with many complaints.

They could have predicted the demand spike, so why haven't they spun up more server power to cope? In this day and age there's really very little excuse.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 19:37 
Legendary Boogeyman

No luck getting back in. I'll probably give up and go again tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 19:43 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

Aye, same here, just completed the Druid Class challenge and then got booted.

Game was getting slower and slower, oh well maybe tomorrow

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 19:47 
ugvm'er at heart...

I went and made dinner (Bream in lemon juice, with potatoes, tomatoes, courgette, garlic and chilli, food fans) and have come back to not being able to start the game.

Ah well, it's not like this was unexpected :D

In other news, I still have £30 credit in my itunes account from various gift cards i've collected as presents. Looks like i'll be buying Naxx via my ipad then :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 19:54 
Sleepyhead

Me too. Not exactly that surprising. I imagine it'll be like this for days, with many complaints.

They could have predicted the demand spike, so why haven't they spun up more server power to cope? In this day and age there's really very little excuse.

Because it costs money, and I doubt a slow service for a couple of days will cost them more in lost revenue. Same happens on release of every CoD game since #4

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 20:08 
Legendary Boogeyman

Hilariously beat the giant spider with my terrible Warlock deck, which I designed purely to rattle through the 'Minions costing 2 or less' quest.

Basically it's a deck containing only 1-drops, all 1-drops. Flooded the board, and it didn't stand a chance. First win with that deck ever I think :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 20:22 
Sleepyhead

I can't even get the door to open to play. Boo!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 20:24 
Legendary Boogeyman

There was a 5 minute window there, but now I'm out again. Le sigh.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 20:24 
ugvm'er at heart...

I got in, beat the first boss, got kicked, got in again, beat the second boss, got kicked...

It looks like getting the initial cards is going to be very easy to do, the difficulty will come from the heroic and class challenges I hope.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 20:25 
Legendary Boogeyman

The AI is much improved.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 20:52 
Sleepyhead

On the higher levels? Good. Admittedly, only did the first boss before getting booted, but it was a bit easy and he did some silly things.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 21:18 
Legendary Boogeyman

Heroic is very silly. Enemy health is 45, hero power costs less, hero power does more, their minions are buffed.

I'm currently watching Trump struggle to beat the last Heroic boss on the level. He's close but having to refine the deck every attempt.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 21:42 
Hello Hello Hello

So where do you get all the new cards from then? I unlocked three for beating the first three bosses before the game became completely unavailable for the evening...... (Fortunately I have the Wii U available for gaming duties as well :D)

I'm watching Trump's stream now but he's already back out playing real people and he seems to have all the cards including the Maexxena (sic?) legendary - so do they come from beating the Naxx bosses on heroic mode?

I decamped to DKC Tropical Freeze for a couple of hours hoping that Hearthstone would be playable again but no such luck....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 21:44 
ugvm'er at heart...

Beat the three bosses on normal, and do the class challenges for the cards. Beating heroic just gives you a card back.

Pretty limited amount of content for the amount of time it took for them to release it really!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 21:48 
8-Bit Champion

I managed to download the update but cant get into a game

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 21:55 
ugvm'er at heart...

zaphod79 wrote:

Aye, the US servers seem to be up, but the EU ones are still down.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 21:55 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
Beat the three bosses on normal, and do the class challenges for the cards. Beating heroic just gives you a card back.

Ahhh OK, cheers :) Beating the bosses on normal and the class challenges sounds like fun, the heroics I'm not too sure on.

Quote:
Pretty limited amount of content for the amount of time it took for them to release it really!

I suppose it'd only take a couple of cards being unbalanced to completely muck the whole game up for a while, and they've already stated that modifying cards after they're out into the pool as it were is a last resort.

But yes, considering it only took me four games to beat the first three bosses on normal, not that much to do for the first week, unless the class challenges are a lot harder. Then again I suppose it's a nice way to get some new cards into the game, ultimately it's always going to be a PvP style affair, but a bit more of a single player experience is welcome.

I can see three friends online for whom it optimistically says 'FIRING UP THE GAME' - I wonder if anyone's actually getting in :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 22:08 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:

Aye, the US servers seem to be up, but the EU ones are still down.

The game does fire up on the US servers - (I just did it now and got into the tutorial, as I've never played in any region other than EU before) - but it's incredibly laggy.

Doubtless it'll totally keel over there too as they move through the afternoon into the evening.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 23:10 
Sleepyhead

Heh. Finally got in to the game again to take on the second boss. Still using my slow Paladin deck. Well, that's not gonna beat that boss no matter what card draw I get! 2 mana for 5-6 damage per turn? Yikes!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 23:18 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
Heh. Finally got in to the game again to take on the second boss. Still using my slow Paladin deck. Well, that's not gonna beat that boss no matter what card draw I get! 2 mana for 5-6 damage per turn? Yikes!

Yeah that gives you a very clear direction as to what sort of deck will beat that boss.

HINT - ZOO.

Would be interesting to see if it'd be such a pushover with a zoo deck on heroic.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:54 
8-Bit Champion

Well it let me in this morning - i played out the first boss with my standard priest deck and won - i think a good card against him would be

http://www.hearthhead.com/card=1014/wild-pyromancer

(its what helped me clear things down) - drop him , cast a spell , heal him and do it again to clear out most of his junk - i really dont like the look of the shade character as its stealthed and if you dont get the right cards to deal with him he'll just keep on growing and growing (he played 2 against me - i took the first out with a pyromancer and the second he used to take one of my guys out when it was a 4 / 4)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:10 
Sleepyhead

Consecrate worked a beauty on him, but I might have been lucky to have it when he first played the thing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:38 
Legendary Boogeyman

Sheesh, the best I can do on the first Heroic is get him down to 15 health. It's so damn hard dealing with a 4/4 every turn. You can either control and use up all your cards, and then you run out of steam, or you go face and can't kill him before the army of 4/4s kill you.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:54 
8-Bit Champion

Sheesh, the best I can do on the first Heroic is get him down to 15 health. It's so damn hard dealing with a 4/4 every turn. You can either control and use up all your cards, and then you run out of steam, or you go face and can't kill him before the army of 4/4s kill you.

I'm not at that stage but I've seen the powers listed and wonder if a variation of the ice mage deck might work - using cone of cold / blizzard etc to freeze the enemies and just let the 4/4's sit on the board while you hit them in the face and have 2 of the 'your character cant die this round' secrets to keep you going for a few extra rounds at the end.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:55 
Legendary Boogeyman

YES! Got the first one, with my hunter deck of all things.

The Heroic favours the face and rarely trades up the board. A buzzard/hound combo for 4 draw, with a timberwolf, and then to his face. He traded up a little, but then dropped an Abomination.

He then went face and traded against the buzzard and timber, leaving me only four hounds. Perfect! I dropped explosive trap and killed the Ab, which dealt 2 to all of those fucking 4/4s. Then explosive trap cleared off the board on his turn.

This gave me the opening to drop my Stranglethorn tiger, houndmaster it, and then a huffer, kill command, Tundra rhino and steady shotting to the face over the next couple of turns to score the win.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:27 
Hello Hello Hello

A taunt heavy druid deck using Wild Growths to get them out early apparently works well too.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/76051-he ... -and-white

I didn't realise last night that there were only three bosses, (I thought the treasure chest at the end of the quarter was a boss, not the class challenges, and the game stopped working for the evening before I could see different), so all I have left to do are the class challenges and then the heroics.

I did manage to get back in last night around midnight but it was still running like shit so didn't bother past one game, but I noticed that I already have Maexxna.

Will try again after work today, hopefully the game will stay up for the evening....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 14:35 
Legendary Boogeyman

Second Heroic down - took a Druid deck. Wild Growth and Nourish for mana crystal instead of cards, keeping no more than one in my hand. Slowly gained the board control with just enough momentum to pop it. Cenarius for the taunts to slow him down helped.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 15:15 
Legendary Boogeyman

Getting close on the third - deck just needs a little refinement.

Attachment:
Hearthstone_Screenshot_7.23.2014.15.12.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 19:48 
Legendary Boogeyman

Finally, got the bitch.

Eventually I decided Alexstraza was absolutely key to winning, both for heals to me and knocking the bastard down in range. So I've just gone on *quite* the disenchanting spree to get Alex, but bugger me it worked.

Rogue in the end. The key was to pair down the board until you're only facing minions with 1 attack, and then heal up with Earthen Ring Farseers and Voodoo Doctors to mitigate most of the damage while waiting for Alex.

But fuck me, Alex only appeared when I had 6 cards left, and I was dancing at 1 Health for 3 or 4 turns, managing to heal and control for *just* enough to not die.

Once Alex was out, I was back to 15, and then I could tank on the next turn to use Alex on her to put her to 15. Then it was a question of using a charge (Argent Commander) and Weapon + Deadly poison on alternating turns to get it to zero. One turn of attacking, one turn of Alex to get me back to tanking range.

Pretty damn pleased to have cracked it. It's quite the puzzler.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 20:59 
ugvm'er at heart...

First heroic down, Druid with lots of taunts and removal, and a deathwing to finish off :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 21:14 
ugvm'er at heart...

Second heroic down first try to my zoo-like lock. Once you have all your cards played and you are top decking, it was easy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 21:16 
ugvm'er at heart...

Last one will be tricky though, as I don't have Alex, nor enough dust to craft it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 21:21 
8-Bit Champion

Well I've done the normal challenges and the two class ones - then tried the heroic one and failed miserably with my standard deck - i'll have a go at constructing something tomorrow i think

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 21:23 
Legendary Boogeyman

I found the second the easiest - as you say, just get your cards out and the hero power is useless.

I think the third one would be absolutely impossible if it intelligently used the hero power, instead of trigging it by default at the start of every turn.

Basically it only needs to spend a turn to kill your healing minions so you can't replay them, and you're fucked.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 21:27 
Excellent Member

I found this whole process of playing against the bosses to unlock cards extremely boring. I don't know even if i'll be bothered to unlocked them all.

It would have been better if they released this cards as a regular expansion because Arena really needs new cards.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 21:33 
Legendary Boogeyman

The meta is already on its head with these new cards, and they're not all in play yet. The nerubian eggs seem to be a new favourite thrown into the mix.

I've really liked the boss fights. Difficult, and frustrating. Built in such a way that all of the traditional decks making the rounds are almost all terrible against it. It's nice, just the kind of spice I was hoping for.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 21:51 
Hello Hello Hello

I'm enjoying it, and have cheerfully spent the £13.99 for the next four wings.

It's a nice way to get new cards into the game, gives the game a bit of a single player 'beef' as it were, the heroic challenges are appropriately challenging, and Blizzard have neatly side-stepped any accusations that the new cards added into the game are in any way 'pay to win', since they're quite easily available to everyone, irrespective of budget, and on the same timescale.

Also the 'drip-drip' approach with new cards means that the meta won't be tipped on its head overnight, and players will have some time to digest the effect of each batch of new cards, before the next one comes along.

Pretty good show from Blizzard IMO.

Reply to topic  [ 3554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 72  Next