Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 3554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 72  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hearthstone thread
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 18:33 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Hearthly wrote:
Blimey that's some pretty significant cards you're missing there.

There were quite a few other smaller things missing but i just crafted them - i have about 1800 dust remaining so could craft 4 rare or 1 legendary

Hearthly wrote:
The lack of Preparation basically makes most Rogue decks non-viable (and you need two of them).

Shield Slam is a must-have (usually two) for any midrange/control Warrior.

You'd generally want a Brawl as well.

I've never played Rouge or Warrior , I'm at level 60 for Mage / Priest / Warlock / Hunter but have not really played Warrior / Rouge / Shamen / Druid / Paladin

Hearthly wrote:
Doomsayer (two) is 100% essential for any sort of Freeze/Fatigue/Echo Mage deck.

I suppose thats the other thing , i may lift one or two things from a deck that someone posts (a lot of my current Warlock deck came out of looking at what Gnomes did with his) but I dont 'copy' a deck or use a pre made one

Hearthly wrote:
And how do you get by without a BGH? He's a staple in most decks at the moment!

A *lot* of my Warlock deck is either tant stuff or clearance , if something big is out then i have a 'kill' card (siphon soul) otherwise they tend not to have more than 8 health so a giant + shadowflame

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 18:07 
Hello Hello Hello

When Echo Mage works out :)

It's actually a consistent enough deck to be entirely viable on the ladder and indeed some folks (who are far better than me!) are very competitive with it at legend rank.

As you can see here, the only constraining factor for my board was the limit of seven minions on the board, I could have played several more Moltens :D

Even if he managed to buff up his weapon and do a mega-Blade Flurry to clear the board and try to kill me I had Ice Block up, and only needed to ping him for one damage the turn after.

It's a tricky fucker of a deck to play though, and you really need to walk a very fine line between life and death some games. Definitely one I'd recommend giving a try if you have the cards for it, and since it's really rather rare, most people assume they're playing against Freeze Mage until the madness starts....

EDIT - I've teched in a second Sunfury Protector from the previous decklist, replacing Thuarrisan. You need to be able to dependably taunt up in my experience, far more than the discounts from Thaurrisan matter.

Attachment:
echojoy.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 19:25 
8-Bit Champion

Interesting twist for the Tavern Brawl this week - each time you cast a spell you get a minion of the same cost

Won my first two games with a basic "all spells plus an apprentice and 2 flamewalkers" then lost the next to a druid who just flooded the board (he got a auctioneer out and then played zero and 1 point cards with more and more coming back into his hand)

Sea giants work well in this since the board does get filled quickly - have won with a mage / hunter / warlock , playing a priest deck now

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 20:42 
Sleepyhead

Is there any benefit to winning more than once, or is it just for jollies?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 20:52 
8-Bit Champion

Curiosity wrote:
Is there any benefit to winning more than once, or is it just for jollies?

One win is the card pack the others are just for jollies (although it does count twards your missions so if its win 7 games or win X games with class Y then the brawl counts)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 21:22 
Legendary Boogeyman

This weeks was fun as hell. Really nice and simple design but totally mad. First one I've really enjoyed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 22:25 
Hello Hello Hello

Yes another upvote for the Tavern Brawl this week :)

Just a really fun mechanic that it's cool to play around with.

I decided Priest was the way to go and really thought I had it on my first attempt (my entire deck was 30 Priest spells) but my bastard opponent also a Priest managed to wrest it away from me, although he was at fatigue by the end thanks to him ending up with two Mana Tide Totems and Lightwells that were (a) Blocking his board and (b) Overdrawing him :D

Lost again as Priest against Priest, then got a Mage who I managed to smack down.

At the very least I think Tavern Brawl is a nice alternative to the main game modes that gets you a pack of cards per week too, and in the case of this week's Brawl, they've really come up with a fun game mode too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 23:34 
Sleepyhead

I won my first match easily as a Mage. Hand full of spells, plus a couple of Mana Wyrms and the guy who dishes out damage whenever you cast a spell.

He quit just before I was about to throw a Flamestrike! Boo!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 19:48 
8-Bit Champion

And this weeks challenge is crap - pick a hero and get a random deck of their cards

Played with a hunter , won , and i have no desire to play it again

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 23:00 
Legendary Boogeyman

It's... not very inventive, but still interesting I guess. 'Here's a random deck, can you win?'.

The answer for me so far has been yes, twice, lost once. It makes filling the quests slightly more interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:58 
Hello Hello Hello

I thought it was pretty entertaining, having NO IDEA WHATSOEVER is coming up next means the game can swing way or another at any stage, and you get to use cards together in inventive ways that would never normally happen.

I even got a Hemet Nesingwray but unfortunately didn't get a chance to play him, just like in Constructed lolz.

Plus as EBG says, they count towards the quests so it's a different way to go about them too.

Can't fault Blizz really, bonus game mode that they didn't have to do, and gets an extra pack of cards into everyone's hands every week.

(Incidentally I've saved 1500 gold already, in anticipation of the BIG ANNOUNCEMENT.)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:39 
8-Bit Champion

I think the problem is i *loved* the previous challenge , and was running it for every quest , at the end of the running time i had something like 14 or 15 wins in there , but I tried this one - did not really get anything interesting in hand and that was it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:48 
Sleepyhead

The last one was awesome, true.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 20:40 
Legendary Boogeyman

As usual I've only just started saving and have about 600g, so I hope whatever is announced isn't too expensive. I actually get the impression they're going to break with the whole F2P for some things, with the pay-only hero skins being the soft acclimatization to introducing that. I also get the impression they were mulling about charging to unlock the Brawl mode, but decided against it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 22:00 
Hello Hello Hello

'Expensive'

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:16 
Legendary Boogeyman

Whisht your moaning! I work hard to grind stuff out for free :P

That's my Pally at L60 now. As usual I will now ignore the class and focus on the others.

Priest: 60
Warlock: 60
Paladin: 60
Warrior: 54
Mage: 50
Hunter: 48
Rogue: 46
Shaman: 36
Druid: 33

Eventually I'm going to have to become a serious Shaman/Druid grind master.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:55 
8-Bit Champion

Mine with the number of wins - i'm going to get those last 40 to have a golden warlock

Warlock: 60 - 458 wins
Priest: 60 - 334 wins
Hunter : 60 - 323 wins
Mage : 60 - 320 wins

Druid : 32 - 42 wins
Shamen : 25 - 26 wins
Rouge : 25 - 15 wins
Paladin : 34 - 13 wins
Warrior : 17 - 4 wins

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 18:58 
8-Bit Champion

This weeks Tavern Brawl is start the game with 10 mana

I have played twice and won , for the first game their first move was Sea Giant
Mine was faceless (giant) , coin and sylvanas :-)

A first move Raggy is also pretty powerful

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:55 
Hello Hello Hello

Yeah not a magnificent Brawl this week, almost seems to be down to the luck of the draw rather than putting together a decent deck.

Still, another free pack and it was two Rares, an Epic and two Commons for me (all dupes), so a decent little wedge of dust. (Currently running at around 6500 dust and 2150 gold IIRC.)

Oh and more importantly the BIG ANNOUNCEMENT was last night, new expansion launching 'August', 132 new cards, including lots of interaction with hero powers apparently. Theme is the Grand Tournament.

Obviously 'August' could mean a week from now or five weeks from now, but I should be rocking a decent chunk of gold by then in any event, might even be able to 'EBG' the expansion. (With a combination of free packs and crafting whatever key gaps are left thereafter. In fact I may have even hit critical mass now, whereby I can play the game for free from now on.)

In fact we should make that a new verb, 'Oh yeah I totally EBG-ed that bastard'

EBG - To freeload :p

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:15 
8-Bit Champion

The link for the announcement

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blo ... -7-22-2015

Having cards activate or do stuff on Hero power is interesting but its going to be very keyed to heros - drop the 'hero power only costs 1' and 'hero power can be used as many times as you like' and a Warlock on round 10 can do 20 points of self damage !

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:44 
Legendary Boogeyman

I suspect Hearthly is just upset that he's dumped a shitload of cash into the game and barely has more cards than me, the epic value F2P king ;) Certainly won't be dropping $50 on 50 packs anyway, ha!

But yes, saving up for this expansion. Arena awards now random - still not as a good as a pack token. Should be able to buy a good 20 packs once it starts, minimum.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:53 
Hello Hello Hello

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
I suspect Hearthly is just upset that he's dumped a shitload of cash into the game and barely has more cards than me, the epic value F2P king ;) Certainly won't be dropping $50 on 50 packs anyway, ha!

I'm comfortable with the cash I've spent on the game so far, it's given me the freedom to play any deck I wanted, when I wanted to play it. Inevitably the collections of those who've coughed up cash and those who haven't will converge in time. In terms of value for money, Hearthstone is probably top of my all time list. (Around £150 for 18 months of solid play, and that 'time played' number is only going to get higher.)

That said, I'm not going to spend more cash for no reason whatsoever, so if I can get into the next expansion with accrued gold and dust, then obviously that's what I'll do.

Buying more classic/GvG packs with gold is pointless for me now, there are no 'key gaps' left and anything I want I can just craft - so the gold and dust will just get saved.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:11 
Legendary Boogeyman

Hearthly wrote:
I'm comfortable with the cash I've spent on the game so far

Me too ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:50 
Legendary Boogeyman

So the message is Hearthly, work hard and grind and you don't need money to do OK ;)

In fairness, some people come from homes where they're parents were *shit* at card games. They never really stood a chance.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:07 
Hello Hello Hello

Just about managing to keep to 600 gold per week (tipped over to 2440 gold with today's quest, after exactly 28 days of saving).

Assuming the Argent Tournament expansion is still at least a week away I'll be able to get 30 packs out of the gate, and obviously more the further into August the actual release is.

My experience with GvG was that buying 60 packs was too many, if I could do that again I'd get 40 packs as that's sufficient to get a good spread of cards from an expansion of around 130 cards (of which Argent Tournament is also).

Also I'll be going into Argent Tournament with far more dust in the bank, which will make it easier to fill any 'must have' slots that emerge as the meta settles.

Looking at the Trump videos on the cards revealed thus far, there's certainly the potential to really throw the meta up into the air, or it could just be a total damp squib like the whole dragon thing was in Blackrock Mountain. The problem with dragon decks is that they're slow and they don't really have the ability to control aggro/fast decks, and Trump has already identified that with what we've seen so far of Argent Tournament, those cards don't seem to be there yet either - but plenty of time for them to be revealed. (For example there are already a few cards that have 'passive taunt' in that you have to get rid of them before they become too dangerous with their effects, but they don't actually have taunt, so Face Hunter for example just ignores them as you'll be dead in a turn or two anyway.)

(i.e. Slow decks are fine, but they need to be able to control fast/aggro decks early on, or they just fail.)

Looking forward to seeing what happens anyway :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 23:21 
Sleepyhead

Just played a little with that Echo mage deck. Works a little better now I got some of the main cards, though I still don't have any Doomsayers!

Last game I had some many Emporer Thaurassian cards that I ended up holding a flamestrike with cost 0!

The game before I was in troubel, but got a Molten down, echoed it, then threw a Sunfury between them. hah!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:09 
Hello Hello Hello

The Doomsayers are expensive bastards but without them both Echo and Freeze (and Fatigue) Mage aren't going to manage any sort of real consistency.

Even then they can sometimes feel hopeless, but the best players have shown they can be consistent at top ranks.

I have horrible losing streaks with Echo Mage (my favourite variant of the three) but then sometimes I just manage to get me eye in with it and can 'see' the plays turns and turns ahead and it all works magnificently.

My favourite one to beat up with it is Hunters, but then I do hate Hunters.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 21:26 
8-Bit Champion

shiny !

Attachment:
Screenshot 2015-07-26 17.11.38.png

Attachment:
Screenshot 2015-07-27 21.25.36.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 21:50 
Hello Hello Hello

I greet you.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 19:23 
8-Bit Champion

odd

Tavern Brawl opened for me with a repeat of an earlier match Nef vs Rag , where my opponent conceded on the first move

I went out to open my card pack and now its 'portals everywhere' - where you pick a class and get a deck with a few spells and everything else is an unstable portal !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 20:05 
Hello Hello Hello

zaphod79 wrote:
odd

Tavern Brawl opened for me with a repeat of an earlier match Nef vs Rag , where my opponent conceded on the first move

I went out to open my card pack and now its 'portals everywhere' - where you pick a class and get a deck with a few spells and everything else is an unstable portal !

Seems they had a bit of a 'grey moment'.

Attachment:
errortavvo.JPG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 21:54 
Excellent Member

I came back to hearth stone after done time away and it's disappointing to see that they've released another pve expansion that clearly breaks the f2p system. Sorry, but accumulating 700 gold for each wing is unfeasible, and it's just to expensive for how short they are.

At least tavern brawl is good fun.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 22:21 
Sleepyhead

The latest Tavern Brawl is quite fun, but extremely luck-based.

Still, I have had decent luck so far!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:27 
Excellent Member

Still, There should be tournaments and stuff. Always the same monthly ladder is boring. And resetting the ladder every month is also ridiculous. Having 4 seasons every year would be much more sensible.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 19:19 
Hello Hello Hello

Stupid game, it's almost like it knows I'm hoarding gold and is serving up shit quests to irk me.

Three times in the last week now I've been offered a 40 gold quest, which of course I mulligan hoping for a 60/100 quest (and don't mind getting another 40 quest), only for it to be replaced with the 'watch a friend win a game for a pack' quest, which is even worse than getting another 40 gold quest. So then I have to wait on to the next day and mulligan away the pack quest, which may leave me stuck with another 40 quest. (The pack quests are useless for me (classic pack basically equals 40 dust), I really just want gold at this point.)

On a wider point I wonder how Blizzard are going to address the increasing unfriendliness of the game for new players? Once the new expansion has launched we'll have:

CLASSIC
NAXX
GvG
BLACKROCK MOUNTAIN
ARGENT TOURNAMENT

That's a lot of stuff spread out over a lot of different expansions, they really need to draw a line in the sand at some point and make it so new players aren't just landed in the game with a shit selection of classic cards and a bewildering array of cards/adventures to buy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:33 
Legendary Boogeyman

I thought they'd taken the watch quest out of rotation as I haven't had it in ages. It's by far the best one if you ask me - worth 100 gold equivalent for watching as little as one game. In terms of time/reward, assuming you still need classic cards, it's the best.

I decided I was bored of grinding gold after a couple of awful-draft Arena runs where I didn't stand a hope against ridiculously overpowered opponents, so I bought 10 GVG packs with my gold, and then pre-brought 50 packs for the expansion. Fuck it.

I've got a complete common/rare set now, and just need to complete epics and legendaries, which are of course the hardest and at the current rate of expansions I'm increasingly unlikely to complete any set without an artificial bump. You win Blizzard.

New players - fuck knows how they'll compete. With so many cards and decks being stronger than ever new players face horrifying match-ups trying to compete with a basic set. Apparently they were supposed to be implementing something where you'd matchmake with people of a similar sized collection, so noobs would only face noobs, but I don't know if they pulled it off.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:53 
Hello Hello Hello

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
I thought they'd taken the watch quest out of rotation as I haven't had it in ages. It's by far the best one if you ask me - worth 100 gold equivalent for watching as little as one game. In terms of time/reward, assuming you still need classic cards, it's the best.

Oh yes if you're after classic cards then that quest is great, and I do still have some gaps in classic, but nothing I really want - I'm all about the gold in the run-up to the next expansion. I'll just mulligan it today but the risk there is that today's quest is a 40 as well so I'll just have two 40s.

Quote:
I decided I was bored of grinding gold after a couple of awful-draft Arena runs where I didn't stand a hope against ridiculously overpowered opponents, so I bought 10 GVG packs with my gold, and then pre-brought 50 packs for the expansion. Fuck it.

8) Total spend of £34.99 then, bit of an increase from free but still not bad considering we're some 18 months into our Hearthstone careers now :)

Quote:
I've got a complete common/rare set now, and just need to complete epics and legendaries, which are of course the hardest and at the current rate of expansions I'm increasingly unlikely to complete any set without an artificial bump. You win Blizzard.

Are you actually fussed about getting a complete set though? Sure it'd be nice to have everything but we can all live without a Lorewalker Cho or shit like that in our collection I'm sure :D

(I've had Lorewalker Cho pop out of my own Piloted Shredder a couple of times recently, can be an absolute game-breaker. I even had to silence the fucker in a game the other day otherwise he was going to straight-up lose me the game. (And I still lost.))

I suspect my collection will never be complete but as long as it's got all the cards you'd ever want to actually play, I'm happy.

Quote:
New players - fuck knows how they'll compete. With so many cards and decks being stronger than ever new players face horrifying match-ups trying to compete with a basic set. Apparently they were supposed to be implementing something where you'd matchmake with people of a similar sized collection, so noobs would only face noobs, but I don't know if they pulled it off.

Yeah the barrier to entry is absurb now IMO. The days of Chillwind Yetis and Boulderfist Ogres being solid playable cards are long gone. We're yet to see how the new expansion will pan out but it's impossible to deny there's been something of a power creep going on with the expansions, a lot of Classic cards look really hopeless now.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:07 
Legendary Boogeyman

Just gunning for the full set for completion, and it remains a goal. With a full set of cards there exists all options, even with the crappest cards. And theoretically there should be no moaning about not getting to legend because the deck lacks cards. When I was grinding with Handlock I didn't have mountain giants which I think worked against the win rate.

Touted expansion release is 24th August.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 14:12 
Sleepyhead

Had a fun arena game last night as a Priest.

Opponent was also a priest and had got out loads and loads of small minions, plus a Cleric buffed to really high health that was drawing them loads of cards. I was one turn from being killed, but used Thoughtsteal to nick a Holy Nova, which killed all but one of his minions.

He ended up dying of fatigue from having pulled so many cards early on/

Such a cheap priest type win!

:DD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 14:05 
Legendary Boogeyman

RANKED REWARDS: http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blo ... m-8-5-2015

Woohoo! About fucking time. A reason to grind.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 14:37 
Hello Hello Hello

Credit where it's due that's a really good change.

Full marks to Blizzard overall with Hearthstone IMO, they're fleshing it out very nicely as the months roll on and resisting the dark calls of gouging people for cash at every opportunity they get.

(I'm still on track to spend nothing on the next expansion, currently sat on 3010 gold.)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 14:47 
Sleepyhead

How much gold is the expansion going to be? I've been wasting mine on arena runs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 14:53 
Legendary Boogeyman

It's free, just need to buy the packs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 15:05 
Hello Hello Hello

As the next expansion is basically the same size as GvG (around 135 cards) I'd say that similar numbers of packs will be about right to get a good spread of decent cards.

I bought 60 GvG packs (with CASH) and TBH that was overkill, 40 packs would have done the job IMO.

As such I'd like to have 4000 gold by the time the expansion is released, which will easily happen if the rumoured release date of the 24th of this month turns out to be correct, anything over 4000 gold I'll probably just buy more packs. (Indeed if it is the 24th I'll get there with around 4500-4800 gold, although I'm on quite a bad run of 40 gold quests at the moment despite aggressive mulliganing.)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 16:18 
Excellent Member

There's going to be rewards for each month ranked performance. Great news!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 16:21 
Legendary Boogeyman

This week's brawl appears to be every minion has a deathrattle of summoning a minion worth two less.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 16:54 
Legendary Boogeyman

Urgh, and a horrible one it is to play too. Removal doesn't work meaning that Druid is OP with Force/Savage. Priest might have a shot with Mass Dispel being useful.

Interestingly Druid cards where it's a minion from Pick One aren't given a deathrattle. Druid of the Claw hasn't got one, for e.g.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 16:58 
Legendary Boogeyman

Play little exorcist. And Baron Rivendare. And Undertaker. And SILENCE.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 18:12 
Excellent Member

I won it fist time with a very basic warrior deck, which kind of disappointed me, since it seemed a fun brawl, and now I don't have much motivation to play more.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 20:30 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
Credit where it's due that's a really good change.

Full marks to Blizzard overall with Hearthstone IMO, they're fleshing it out very nicely as the months roll on and resisting the dark calls of gouging people for cash at every opportunity they get.

(I'm still on track to spend nothing on the next expansion, currently sat on 3010 gold.)

I disagree. The PvE portion of the game is clearly p2w

Reply to topic  [ 3554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 72  Next