Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 3554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 72  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hearthstone thread
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 18:43 
Hello Hello Hello

My brother was over for a visit the weekend just gone and he's MEGA INTO HEARTHSTONE, however he only started playing three weeks ago and he's not spent any money on the game, so his card collection is seriously lacking.

(He has however been buying at least a pack per day, with the daily quest gold, enough wins to get up to 100 gold thereafter, plus the rewards the game chucks at you early on, so he must have had 30+ card packs opened, but no legendaries and no great epics either though, unfortunately.)

As a treat I bought him the Naxx expansion whilst he was over (he was skint as usual, payday was today apparently), and he diligently played through all the bosses on normal mode, without any resort to Googling whatsoever and using just his limited collection of cards, so I doffed my cap to him for that. (Although he did incorporate the Naxx cards as he moved through the bosses, if you think about it we all went into Naxx with a very good 'base' collection of cards, and he was missing loads and loads, but he still thought his way around them all.)

Thereafter, and armed with all the Naxx cards, he put together a serious pain in the arse pally deck that took some proper effort on my part to beat (five losses on the trot until I cracked it with a shammy deck with lots of silences and removal).

He then took it out in Ranked and had a reasonable run of success with it, although seemed to hit a bit of a wall at around Rank 16, however credit where it's due his collection of 'base' cards is pretty lamentable, so even with the Naxx cards on top of that he's missing a lot of cards we'd consider to be bread and butter type stuff.

It was interesting to see him get to grips with the new cards as they were unlocked through Naxx, and as he was opening his packs (he got the 300 gold Chicken Dinner reward whilst he was over), could see him thinking through how he was going to try and make the cards work in different decks. In particular he's made very effective use of the Naxx legendaries, as they're the only legendaries available to him, and again, it was interesting to see a player whose only legendary choices are those from Naxx, decide how to deploy them. (Because again, we've all been taking a lot of the 'base' legendaries for granted for a while now.)

I reckon by the time he next visits, I could have a pretty damn serious challenge on my hands....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:26 
Legendary Boogeyman

You must really suck balls if your noob no-card brother can beat you 5 times in a row with *anything* :hat:

:luv:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 15:19 
Hello Hello Hello

It was a seriously pesky deck, lots of Naxx cards and some choice pally cards that created some really good synergies, with enough taunts to foil fast/miracle decks. I think the fact that he was missing so many 'base' cards and rare/epic pally cards, so had to make do with Naxx and the cheaper/more common pally cards, led to the creation of a pretty unusual and effective deck.

I just went up against it with whatever decks I had in my list (miracle rogue, fast hunter, F2P mage, erratic warrior), although when I did beat it I did so very emphatically with the shaman deck. (It was the same for him out in Ranked, a lot of the 'standard' decks just didn't seem to have answers to it, although when it backfired it did so pretty badly.)

But yeah he's got his head around the game with admirable speed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 15:26 
Legendary Boogeyman

I think it's funny that you can open 30 packs in this game and still have essentially bugger all. It really is grind-tastic. I still need 60 unique cards and have 1400 dust. Averaging 40 bloody dust a pack it'll take a while before I can sink it in to even one legendary, and I need about another 15 exactly 21 more after that :'(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 19:11 
Hello Hello Hello

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
I think it's funny that you can open 30 packs in this game and still have essentially bugger all. It really is grind-tastic. I still need 60 unique cards and have 1400 dust. Averaging 40 bloody dust a pack it'll take a while before I can sink it in to even one legendary, and I need about another 15 exactly 21 more after that :'(

Oh don't get me wrong he had gained a few solid neutral cards like the Harvest Golem, good class cards like Feral Spirit, Temple Enforcer, Mana Wyrm and Gladiator's Longbow (OK maybe that's not great), but he definitely had more choices available to him than someone who hadn't opened 30 packs of cards. The problem with the class cards is that they were scattered across the classes so didn't make one particularly desirable to try out, but that'll change in time. (He'd also got his first few dupes which he'd been able to dust to craft a couple of desirable common expert and class cards.)

I think I agree with Trump in that the game isn't pay to win, but you can pay to take a shortcut to getting a lot of the cards you want. (And let's be clear that isn't pay to win, from our experiences at least you've got people like me and Trooper who have dropped a chunk of cash on the game, and people like you and zaphod who haven't spent a penny, and yet we all seem to have plateaued at about the same rank, which would suggest it's more down to skill than having more cards available.)

The 80 packs I bought really padded out my collection early on, (no money on packs spent since May!), which has fed into far more dupes with the packs I've opened since then, which has fed into more dust to give me more freedom to create epics and legendaries. (And even then I've burned 1600 dust on shite like Cenarius.)

I'm managing 10 packs every two weeks just from gold accrual, so 80 packs represents a 'head start' of four months in pure card collection terms, but I wouldn't say it's made the game pay to win for me, as our tussles in duels have certainly shown (where you're well ahead), and also my own experiences in Ranked, where my most successful decks have been those lightest on legendaries.

I'd say the closest I get to a legendary heavy deck is my 'Paladin Of Doom' deck (five legendaries) but that's WAAAAAYYYY too slow for the current meta so I only get to take it for a spin in Casual.

I can see why it looks more grindy from your perspective in terms of filling out your card collection, but lest we forget you've been playing this game for many, many months now, and haven't spent a penny!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 19:34 
Legendary Boogeyman

I think I could get to legend, I'd just need a month where I could happily play ~300 games. It's made a lot easier with the competitive deck but if you can attain a >50% win rate then eventually you'll get there. At the moment I'm tickling around rank 12 but have done very little except quests, one of which was a particularly good Warlock streak that bumped me up several ranks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 20:07 
Hello Hello Hello

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
I think I could get to legend, I'd just need a month where I could happily play ~300 games. It's made a lot easier with the competitive deck but if you can attain a >50% win rate then eventually you'll get there. At the moment I'm tickling around rank 12 but have done very little except quests, one of which was a particularly good Warlock streak that bumped me up several ranks.

Well that's the balancing act isn't it :) How many games do you want to play?

The vast majority of my play this month has been Casual and duelling with my brother, I've got to Rank 12 with not much effort, although previous experience suggests it gets much tougher as you head towards Rank 10.

Watching the Trump videos (and other streamers) says to me there's a whole different class of players out there once you push up towards Rank 6 or 5, and even more so towards Legend, so I definitely wouldn't want to make any statements along the line of 'I think I could get to Legend'.

Yes if you can manage >50% at those ranks you'll get there in the end, but I wouldn't like to say I could do that without having ever experienced it. (Remember winning streaks stop at Rank 5 too.)

For me the game stops being fun in Ranked once it gets really ruthless, so even though I'm at Rank 12 **** and on a winning streak, I'm in no great hurry to play my next Ranked game, or try some sort of hard charge to see how high I can get before season's end. I was happy to get to Rank 10 a couple of months ago, less happy to see you get to Rank 9 the same month ( :D ), and maybe I will have a push at it again at some point.

According to Blizzard's own stats I'm in the top 5.5% of players by having got to Rank 10, which I'm happy with, getting to Legend would put you in the top 0.5% of players!......

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 20:35 
Legendary Boogeyman

Hearthly wrote:
I definitely wouldn't want to make any statements along the line of 'I think I could get to Legend'.

I could get to Legend. I will make this statement, bold and confidently ;)

Maybe next month I'll have enough time...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 13:35 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/16421347

Quote:
Hearthside Chat - Mobile Development Update

Greetings to all card-slingers around the world!

Some time has passed since we last sat down and pow-wowed, and in that time a lot has happened. Since launching Hearthstone®: Heroes of Warcraft™ back in March, we’ve:

Let players’ fingers do the dueling with the arrival of Hearthstone on iPad
Survived the creepy-crawly wings of the floating necropolis of Naxxramas
Added Windows 8 Touch compatibility
Raised a mug in celebration of our 20 million players across the world

We’ve created this infographic to share some less well-known (but still important!) metrics we’ve hit together along the way. Check out just how many Hounds have been Unleashed, the number of minions turned to adorable Sheep, and other interesting statistics.

Throughout the past year, many of you have been asking about the release date for Hearthstone on Android. The team has been hard at work to bring Hearthstone to that platform, and is making great progress. We’re taking things one step at a time and we’ve got our sights set on a release for Android tablets, our next new platform, before the end of the year; we’ve just got a few more mana crystals to polish and some Angry Chickens to chase down.

We’re also close to having Hearthstone out to our iPhone and Android phone users, but it’s become clear that we need a little more time to get that version right. While we have a build up and running internally, it needs a bit more work, and we don’t feel like we’ll be ready to share it with you until early next year. It’s very important to us that the phone experience for Hearthstone is just as accessible as the tablet and PC versions. One of the biggest challenges with that is revamping the user interface so it feels intuitive and offers the same quality Hearthstone experience, but this time from the palm of your hand.

Releasing Hearthstone on iPhone and Android phones is something we’re incredibly excited about, but ultimately we’d rather take the extra time to make Hearthstone’s user interface on the phone customized to feel great for the platform, rather than a port that doesn’t take into account the limitations of a smaller screen.

As always, we can’t thank you enough for making the game what it’s become. From the never-ending Fireside Gatherings you’re hosting around the globe, to the insane victories you’re sharing via videos and streams—and even the tough love we get at times—we’re all constantly blown away by our amazing community.

See you at BlizzCon. We can’t wait to show you what’s to come!

-The Hearthstone team

Link to their infographic : https://bnetcmsus-a.akamaihd.net/cms/ga ... 855218.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:34 
Sleepyhead

Just opened another wing of Naxx.

That Grobbulus guy is a pain in the arse. Killed me by turn 4, 4 and 5.

Need to get something with cheap hard removal, as getting 10/6 taunts for 3 mana every turn is getting tiresome.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:39 
ugvm'er at heart...

Open a pack last night

Rare
Rare
Golden Rare
Legendary (Jaraxxus)
Common

Not too bad :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:41 
Sleepyhead

Turns out when he doesn't draw perfect cards he's easy as a Shaman. Now getting some useful cards. Huzzah!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 13:16 
8-Bit Champion

Curiosity wrote:
Turns out when he doesn't draw perfect cards he's easy as a Shaman. Now getting some useful cards. Huzzah!

I think the hardest thing in Nax that i've done is the warrior challenge which took me about 10 goes and then the next one it all just fell into place - which says its more about card draw than anything else :-(

(I've not completed the Heroic challenges in Nax for the card back but have done everything else)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 13:36 
Sleepyhead

zaphod79 wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

I think the hardest thing in Nax that i've done is the warrior challenge which took me about 10 goes and then the next one it all just fell into place - which says its more about card draw than anything else :-(

(I've not completed the Heroic challenges in Nax for the card back but have done everything else)

Heh. Did that one first time with barely getting hit. I think card draw is super important!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:47 
Hello Hello Hello

BLIZZARD BANHAMMER BIFFS BOTTERS ON THE BONCE:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... e-accounts

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/16481223

Nothing too controversial about this I'd say, if nothing else a bot will guarantee players the maximum 100 gold per day that can be accrued from wins (10 gold per three wins) so accelerate their acquisition of cards, and also unlock them their golden heroes and suchlike - which isn't fair to the rest of the player base.

As for playing bots I don't really mind, you can tell you're playing a bot within the first few turns and TBH they're usually pretty rubbish.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:59 
8-Bit Champion

So I wonder if thats part of the reason it was un-connectable last night (please wait 15 minutes , oh you've timed out please try again)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:57 
ugvm'er at heart...

I like the comments on the blog, from idiots who can't read :facepalm:

"They should ban them!" Yes, if you read the blog, that's what they are doing from now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 19:30 
Hello Hello Hello

Card opening. Lol. I'll be as popular as Chris Moyles on YouTube at this rate.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... youtube-dj

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 14:52 
Meh

Pleased to see the back of the botters (well some of them!)

I spend my gold as soon as I can. Saving up for weeks is not my style, I have quite a good collection now and made a zoo style warlock which got me to level 10 without too much effort.

I will try harder next season. I also have a good Rogue deck which I have developed which seems more effective at the higher levels than zoo.

Still loving this game long time.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 0:29 
Sleepyhead

Just went on about a six or seven game win streak to boost up to Level 10 (playing as a Hunter).

One of these days I'll make a concerted effort at Ranked and see how I go.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:32 
Hello Hello Hello

I was chatting to EBG in battle.net the other night and we were discussing both having a concerted effort at Ranked next season. I'm Rank 9 this season but that's honestly not with making too much of an effort or even playing that many games in Ranked, in fact I played my first ranked game for the best part of a week last night (I lost, just, but it was a great game).

My preference these days is actually for Casual, as you get to play against far more varied decks, and indeed have a go with more varied decks. (I really like playing Miracle Rogue, even though it's shagged out in Ranked, it's still possible to win with it in Casual.)

Also, my brother who's really got MASSIVELY into the game is up for it as well. (I should point him towards BEEX really.)

So yeah, maybe a few of us could have a charge at Ranked next month and see who tops out, and indeed see if EBG can make good on his confident prediction of getting to Legendary! :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:45 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

I am up for this, doubt i can get to legend but see if i can beat my best of rank 7 (i think)

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:53 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'll give a go at ranked next season too, let's see who gets highest :D

Any particular rules? Or just the rank at the end of the month.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:11 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

Trooper wrote:
I'll give a go at ranked next season too, let's see who gets highest :D

Any particular rules? Or just the rank at the end of the month.

A daily blog from each contestant with blow by blow accounts? Or maybe not ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:22 
Sleepyhead

I had a great game against a Warrior last night that went down to the wire. I felt slightly bad for winning though, as he killed my Webspinner and brought down Rag. The Webspinner had given me the 8/8 charge dinosaur though! BUWAHAHAHAHA!

Then he played Baron Geddon, which ended up killing him in the end :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:36 
Legendary Boogeyman

Hearthly wrote:
indeed see if EBG can make good on his confident prediction of getting to Legendary! :D

This sounds good! The grind is so great that some kind of group support would help. Sometimes you can play 15 games only to oscillate around a single rank. It's tough going.

Looks like I'll finish at 7 this month, and with the banhammer on the bots the ladder will be a little less predictable. I look forward to it!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:23 
8-Bit Champion

I'm still going around gaining / losing a little ground at rank 12 - have 'seen' rank 11 but have not made it on there yet.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 17:39 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

cool, just had another Bloodmage Thalnos drop, so have DC'd the gold one that I got last month.

That left me with shed loads of dust so finally bit the bullet and made a Rag and Black Knight.

I am now up to 20 neutral legendaries (inc the Naxx ones) and also have 3 of the class ledgendaries (Shammie, Lock and Warrior).

Time to have some fun making killer decks for next season.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 19:45 
Hello Hello Hello

Well I just played a bot in Casual, so they clearly didn't get them all.

Fucking thing beat me as well, which makes it extra annoying.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 19:55 
ugvm'er at heart...

I imagine the recent news has made more people aware of botting, so a few will give it a go. Once the permanent bans start I imagine it will die down a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 20:09 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
I imagine the recent news has made more people aware of botting, so a few will give it a go. Once the permanent bans start I imagine it will die down a lot.

Yeah I guess so, they are a pain in the arse (slow and boring to play against), and it's not just like they give cosmetic rewards either (golden heroes and cards), the extra 100G per day they can earn will really add up over time in the form of loads of extra packs, which the rest of us have to either play or pay for.

IN OTHER NEWS - What decks are folks thinking of using for the GRAND RANKED LADDER CHALLENGE next month?

I'm thinking about this one.....

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/105143-s ... th-trap-s7

I've also been having very good results with this Shaman deck, but it can be so damn slow, and if you're just after ruthlessly climbing the ladder, 15 minute games that end up in a loss aren't good. It's alright for Trump as it's his job, but I can't play Hearthstone for eight hours a day!

It's a great deck to do a daily quest with, got some really intricate plays in it too, but I'm not sure I could tolerate trying to climb the ladder with it.

Attachment:
trumpyleggyshammy.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 20:15 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'm going to go with my tried and tested mage deck.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 20:32 
Sleepyhead

This Hunter deck has gotten me to L9 so far without much effort, so might keep with it. It will struggle against Mages though. Too many 1 health minions.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 20:35 
8-Bit Champion

Curiosity wrote:
This Hunter deck has gotten me to L9 so far without much effort, so might keep with it. It will struggle against Mages though. Too many 1 health minions.

Thats what UTH is for now - that + a hunters mark to pull down something big with taunt clears out a lot of rush decks for me

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 20:52 
Sleepyhead

zaphod79 wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Thats what UTH is for now - that + a hunters mark to pull down something big with taunt clears out a lot of rush decks for me

I don't run UTH. My issue with Mages is that the hero power can kill all MY one health minions!

:D

I'm running with two Leper Gnomes, two Web Spinners, two Loot Hoarders and an Ironbeak Owl. I think those are all my 1 health ones.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 21:47 
8-Bit Champion

Curiosity wrote:
I'm running with two Leper Gnomes, two Web Spinners, two Loot Hoarders and an Ironbeak Owl. I think those are all my 1 health ones.

Ah , I misunderstood , I have 2 Lepers / 2 Webspinners / 2 Timberwolfs and an Ironbeak Owl for my single health pointers :-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 22:19 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

This is the hunter deck I am probably going to use, might switch a few things around for some silence action if needed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 22:32 
Sleepyhead

I have the same deck, but

MINUS:
Black Knight
Snipe
Freezing Trap (X1)
Tracking (x2)

REPLACE WITH:
Flare (X1)
Sludge Belcher (x2)
Explosive Trap (x2)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:30 
Hello Hello Hello

My brother beat me again last night, he's getting quite annoying.

I shall have to set EBG on him I think.

Also, he's signed up here (or in the process of doing so), be nice to him, he's bald, despite being younger than me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:41 
Excellent Member

Hello. I am aforementioned bald brother of the hamster faced Hearthly. He is responsible for my introduction to Hearthstone and, if my current gaming time continues as is, my divorce.

Absolutely obsessed with bloody game, play it for 8 hours a day and then lie in bed thinking of different decks. I've not been like this since Quake 2!

Anyhoo, created a kickass new Pally deck which after some extensive ranked testing this morning I think will be a goer for this ranking challenge.

Looking forward to getting involved..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:50 
Sleepyhead

Played two games to get to L9 last night, then lost to a Mage. I think my deck stacks very badly against Mages. Too many cheap minions and then the Undertakers can usually be nailed by a Frostbolt. Hmmmm.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:55 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

CrazyFace wrote:
Hello. I am aforementioned bald brother of the hamster faced Hearthly. He is responsible for my introduction to Hearthstone and, if my current gaming time continues as is, my divorce.

Absolutely obsessed with bloody game, play it for 8 hours a day and then lie in bed thinking of different decks. I've not been like this since Quake 2!

Anyhoo, created a kickass new Pally deck which after some extensive ranked testing this morning I think will be a goer for this ranking challenge.

Looking forward to getting involved..

Welcome :)

If you fancy a game of heathstone add me - Decardo#2759

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:57 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

Actually here are the other player from the forum(that I have), am sure most would be happy for a game :)

Quote:
Chopley#1273
RuySan#2293
Druss#2204
Trooper#2226
Zaphod79#2243
DrCuriosity#2165
Decardo#2759

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:58 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

hmmm, is it time for another forum Hearthstone challenge? Or shall we get the ladder climb out of the way first?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:11 
8-Bit Champion

Slightly Green wrote:
hmmm, is it time for another forum Hearthstone challenge? Or shall we get the ladder climb out of the way first?

I think do the ladder stuff next month then do a challenge after that

CrazyFace wrote:
Hello. I am aforementioned bald brother of the hamster faced Hearthly.

Welcome !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:30 
ugvm'er at heart...

Slightly Green wrote:

I'd happily participate in both next month, but someone else can run the challenge this time :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:45 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

Trooper wrote:
Slightly Green wrote:

I'd happily participate in both next month, but someone else can run the challenge this time :D

nah, people have limited time, lets focus on the ladder climb next month.

Ideas for possible future challenges -

Quote:
1. All play with a arena draft deck Hearthpwn Arena draft simulator.

2. No Legendaries

3. All Human

4. All non-human

5.All Female

6. Taunts and Spells only

7. Computer SAYS YOUR FUCKED - Start a new deck, hit done and accept what the computer chooses for you.

8. Suicide FTW. To win you have to kill yourself before your opponent can suicide.

9. No-effect minions (card text must not exist)

10. Seven words or less - card text must have seven or less words.

11. Beards FTW - All cards must have a beard.

Please chuck any suggestions below and I will add them to the list

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 15:01 
ugvm'er at heart...

How are people doing with their card collections?

This is me now:
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2014-10-31 at 14.00.10.png

And i've got about 4000 dust saved up.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 15:04 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

got a copy of your spreadsheet i can have? will tally mine up

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 15:07 
Legendary Boogeyman

You're doing better than me.

Cards where not at least 1
Neutral 31
Druid 2
Hunter 5
Mage 5
Paladin 2
Priest 0
Rogue 2
Shaman 4
Warlock 6
Warrior 3

Total Missing 60

I'm missing from Neutrals, 4 rares, 5 epics, and 21 legendaries.

I just spent all of my dust making Gromash Hellscream for the Warrior deck I'll be ranking with next month.

Reply to topic  [ 3554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 72  Next