Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 3554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 72  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hearthstone thread
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 23:43 
Legendary Boogeyman

Somehow I played four arenas today.

1/3, 3/3, 5/3, 5/3

Meh.

Total winnings were 4 packs, 210 gold, 30 dust, a Golden Common, and a Rare (as individual card rewards).

Meh.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 23:53 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
I still like it, for all its flaws, not least because I get to use cards that are behind the paywall.

THERE IS NO PAYWALL.

100% of the game is available to 100% of players, from the stingiest bastards on the planet (hello EBG!) to millionaires, not one single solitary aspect of the game is locked off to anyone.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:23 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

Did I like the pack I just opened.....

yes, yes I did :D

Bloodmage is one of the cards I have been after but isn't at the top of the list, will keep him for now but nice to know he can always be dusted for any other legendary.

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:24 
Hello Hello Hello

Congrats!

He's one of those cards that's good enough to hang onto IMO, and it's amazing how useful that +1 spell damage can be in certain situations. (In my pally deck for example, boosting a Consecration up to 3 damage or a Hammer of Wrath to 4 can be surprisingly more effective than the standard versions.) Plus of course he replaces himself upon death, or he may even tease out a silence from your opponent which is arguably overkill on their part.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 15:10 
Legendary Boogeyman

2/3 Arena. Really good Warlock deck, that immediately hit utter fucking insanity and I couldn't get a foothold in anything. Total bullshit.

Avg. cost per pack is now > 70g. If it gets too high I'll abandon Arena as insufficient value ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 15:50 
Sleepyhead

Hearthly wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
I still like it, for all its flaws, not least because I get to use cards that are behind the paywall.

THERE IS NO PAYWALL.

100% of the game is available to 100% of players, from the stingiest bastards on the planet (hello EBG!) to millionaires, not one single solitary aspect of the game is locked off to anyone.

:DD I only said that to troll you :DD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 15:57 
ugvm'er at heart...

My arena stats:

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2014-10-04 at 15.52.40.jpg

Numbers are slightly out as it doesn't count my games on the ipad, so if I do a few games on that in a middle of a run it thinks my end result is lower than it actually is. i.e my highest result is actually 8/3, but it was recorded as a 7/3 as I won one of the games on the ipad...

With a 3.2 win rate, it still makes sense to play arena rather than buy cards, and I really enjoy the mode so double win :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 16:52 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
:DD I only said that to troll you :DD

Gah! Your trolling was successful, bastard-face. :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 20:33 
Legendary Boogeyman

Trooper wrote:
My arena stats:

It reckons my win rate is about 60%, although I know the bot has missed a lot as I've either had it off, or didn't update it when they put the Naxx boards into rotation (which made the bot think you were playing the campaign mode).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:33 
Sleepyhead

That 'resurrect your dead minions' legendary is a bit of a fucker, isn't he?

Unless you have a Hex/Polymorph/Assassinate then if he gets behind a couple of taunts you're boned.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:40 
Sleepyhead

Ugh. Everyone has every legendary at the moment. If a game gets to the 10th round and I've not seen at least 3 it is rare.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 14:15 
Legendary Boogeyman

Yes I was thinking that. I've suffered a few losses because I couldn't deal with fucking Ragnaros, Ysera, Gromash, and Sylvannas in a single game.

I wouldn't mind so much but I haven't unpacked a legendary in forever.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 14:26 
ugvm'er at heart...

Thats why I play arena these days, it's both more random and more fair at the same time :) Makes for a much more interesting game rather than dealing with the same old decks stuffed full of legendaries.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 14:40 
Hello Hello Hello

Oh come on I think it's a bit rich to be moaning about legendary heavy decks when we've all been playing the game for months, unless Curio is trolling me again :hat:

Even if you're not prepared to spend any money it's pretty easy to put together 500 gold per week which is 20 packs per month which on average is one legendary per month, and if you get a crap one you can always dust it for a quarter of the cost of one you want. (Plus all dupes and/or Arena rewards add dust too.)

On top of that I don't think the meta is that legendary heavy at the moment either, (certainly between Ranks 20-10 which is where I tend to sit), a lot of the old-school legendaries such as Ysera are just too damn slow for the meta. (I crafted myself a Black Knight the other week for my hunter deck, but I'm still sat on nearly 2000 dust with not much idea what to craft with it, but I certainly wouldn't want a fucking Ysera.)

Sylvannas I find to be of the easier legendaries to play around. I don't like seeing her pop up, but Shammies comboing her with reincarnate is the scariest thing about her IMO.

Also, it seems to me that a lot of the legendaries being played are out of Naxx, which are available to everyone for free (as EBG demonstrated).

Now that's not to say that there aren't decks out there absolutely stuffed to the gills with legendaries, of course there are, but I don't think they're (a) Prevalent or (b) Game-breaking in any way.

Any deck running with a clutch of big legendaries is inevitably sacrificing early game, exploit that with a quick deck and run the fuckers down! You need a quick deck for the current meta anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 14:49 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'm currently 5-0 in constructed with a Paladin Divine Shield based deck. Not sure how it will fair at the upper ranks, but seems solid at the moment, and isn't a favoured meta deck so people don't expect it. I got my blood knight to 15/15 a couple of games ago as no-one clears out the shields :)
I should really craft another blood knight (I only have one) and the Paladin legendary if I want it to be competitive at higher ranks I expect.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 14:55 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
I'm currently 5-0 in constructed with a Paladin Divine Shield based deck. Not sure how it will fair at the upper ranks, but seems solid at the moment, and isn't a favoured meta deck so people don't expect it. I got my blood knight to 15/15 a couple of games ago as no-one clears out the shields :)
I should really craft another blood knight (I only have one) and the Paladin legendary if I want it to be competitive at higher ranks I expect.

Ooohhh let's have a look at the deck :) I like playing pally.

The pally legendary is mega-awesome but he's very vulnerable to a hex/poly, and a silence leaves him looking a bit daft too. It's also particularly annoying when he gets killed and then the Ashbringer gets Oozed.

I always run him in whatever pally deck I'm mucking about with though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 15:09 
Legendary Boogeyman

It's not as simple as playing around one legendary. It's when they're thunking down one after another, and all of the ones I've listed aren't Naxx ones. And yes, this applies even at the high ranks, but that might be because it's still early in the month and the lower rank players are grinding back up, so the perception of rank 20-10 is skewed because the people playing clearly aren't middlingly crap as they should be.

In other news, my 'good in theory bad in practice' Warlock deck couldn't get two wins for the quest after maybe 6 attempts, so I junked it for a generic zoo and now I'm something like 4/0. Fucking zoo.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 16:56 
ugvm'er at heart...

Hearthly wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Ooohhh let's have a look at the deck :) I like playing pally.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2014-10-05 at 16.55.42.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 17:19 
Hello Hello Hello

Cheers :) Might have a tickle with myself!

I think I've already got two Blood Knights and if I haven't it's no problem to craft another.

Do you find you're needing the heals from the GoKs? I'd be inclined to swap them out for Raggie and Tirion.

Then again with the Argent Commanders, aren't they hard to get any synergy with the Blood Knights? What with them having charge and so little health, they need their shield not to just die against whatever they're charged into.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 17:27 
ugvm'er at heart...

The GoKs and Argent's are mainly used with BoK and Blessed Champion as finishers. But you're right, those two and the BoKs are candidates for swapping out for other big minions.

The Blood knights use the argent squires, HoP, Scarlets and Argent Protectors to get buffed.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 17:52 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Just played against a priest. He had 5 minions on the table, including the one that makes your healing spells do damage instead. Then he played soulfire and accidentally wiped out all his own minions :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 20:46 
Sleepyhead

TBF, Hearthly, even buying a pack every two days (which means no days off playing, no Naxx, no Arena), it would likely take over 2 months to earn enough dust to craft a legendary... and that's based on my average dust haul now, after collecting most of the regular cards on offer, and crafting no other cards at all.

You can do everythig for free, but only if you play every hour of the day, and even then getting Naxx + legendary cards + playing Arena would probably be v hard.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:40 
Legendary Boogeyman

Can confirm. I've been dusting an average of 4 cards per opened pack for ages, and I've strategically disenchanted the common cards I'm unlikely to use but will probably reopen in a future pack just to get my short term dust up.

Despite this I'm still lingering at around ~1200 dust and that represents a lot of saving. Even if you're lucky enough to unpack a legendary you already have, that's still only 400 dust. That would need to happen four times (and it's a rare event in itself) to actually get hold of one missing legendary.

The dream of 2 copies of everything either requires an absurd amount of play (high result Arenas to maximum value), or the investment of much cash for many, many packs. It's a long old road.

At last count I still required 66 unique cards to get one of everything, and quite a few of those are legendaries. Many of the others are epics. All expensive in terms of dust and rare in terms of pack opening.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:50 
ugvm'er at heart...

This is me :

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2014-10-06 at 10.46.32.png

I'm sitting on about 3300 dust at the moment, I should probably craft a couple of legendaries, but not sure what.

I've been playing since the end of beta, and have bought 55 packs with cash. The rest have been through gold and arena.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:25 
Legendary Boogeyman

If we're comparing the card-peen size:

Cards with not at least 1
Neutral 36
Druid 2
Hunter 5
Mage 5
Paladin 2
Priest 0
Rogue 3
Shaman 4
Warlock 6
Warrior 3

Total Missing 66

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:30 
ugvm'er at heart...

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
If we're comparing the card-peen size:

Cards with not at least 1
Neutral 36
Druid 2
Hunter 5
Mage 5
Paladin 2
Priest 0
Rogue 3
Shaman 4
Warlock 6
Warrior 3

Total Missing 66

Ah, my 90 is to get two of everything. I shall do some excel magic to get the number for one of everything.

I think i've been pretty lucky in my pack opening compared to most, to be honest.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:44 
ugvm'er at heart...

tada!

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2014-10-06 at 11.43.11.png

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:47 
Legendary Boogeyman

Oh in that case I hate you then, only 39 cards!

Although having said that apparently I 'only' need 45000 dust, so that shows that a lot of the missing ones we share are the dust-heavy cards, and the 30-odd missing commons/rares don't cost very much at all.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 18:56 
Sleepyhead

Heh. Just fought as a Mage against a Druid.

He had me on toast. Down to 10 health (he's on 16) with a Gruul and a 0/2 taunt (and no cards). He had two 5/5 and a load of cards.

He decides to play around with me and silences Gruul instead of the taunt (giving him the win) and brings out a load more minions.

I top deck a Pyroblast and kill him.

Silly showoff :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 23:57 
Legendary Boogeyman

Man, 7/0 in Ranked with this bloody Zoo deck. It's far too easy, not one of the games has been close. I just rattled through the 5-win quest in 23 minutes. Less than 5 mins per game!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 17:02 
ugvm'er at heart...

This is quite nice, a site that you can practice arena drafts, and see what other serious players (mainly Trump) choose for each round, with commentary.

http://www.hs-db.com/arena

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 22:46 
Hello Hello Hello

Trump vs Bot ?

He seems pretty sure he's playing against a bot here..... (As I mentioned a couple of months ago, when I was sure I'd played against one.)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 22:50 
Legendary Boogeyman

Yeah there's a second game where he wins and it's really obvious there. Each move happens after the same delayed interval. Also the players were really stupid - earth shocking a zombie chow etc.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 23:11 
Hello Hello Hello

Yeah there's a second game where he wins and it's really obvious there. Each move happens after the same delayed interval. Also the players were really stupid - earth shocking a zombie chow etc.

Ahhh right this one.....

The moves from the bot's side when it's got loads of 1/1s say it all.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THE MATTER WITH PEOPLE WHO FUCKING BOTS FUCKING HEARTHSTONE?

I was convinced I'd played a bot back in June - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9861&p=826795&hilit=bots#p826795

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:42 
Sleepyhead

Saved up enough gold to do the next bit of Naxx (Military Quarter). Two more to go!

Was quite easy, but fun, with the four horsemen being the only one I failed at all (though his card draw that time was about perfect).

Got some cards, but not ones I'm likely to use much. Still want the Undertaker and Mad Scientist ones so I can build a proper Deathrattle deck.

Having a lot of success with my Shaman deck at the moment, that I bolted together in about thirty seconds :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:38 
Sleepyhead

Huh. Was doing well until it came upon a Paladin with about 8 non-Naxx legendaries!

Interesting deck actually. Gave up a lot early on to come back with a ton of healing and then legendary after legendary to take everything out. I particularly dislike The Black Knight, who is currently very popular. I had lethal next turn with a fire elemental hidden behind an earth elemental taunting, and he offed them both and then healed himself back to nigh on 30 in two turns. Then came Rag and Tirion (who I silenced... hah!)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:08 
Hello Hello Hello

The Black Knight is a great card and well worth crafting, Naxx has brought a lot of taunts back into the meta (both old and new cards).

I don't regret the 1600 dust I spent on him, hold him in your hand until a critical juncture and he can be a game winner.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:21 
Sleepyhead

Aye. It's a great card. If you can use it when the opp only has one massive taunt out there then it it a game changer.

People keep on doing it to me!

>:(

:DD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:38 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Curiosity wrote:
Got some cards, but not ones I'm likely to use much. Still want the Undertaker and Mad Scientist ones so I can build a proper Deathrattle deck.

I'm having fun at the moment with 2 deathrattle decks , one mage with the mad scientist and a pile of secret cards and the other with a priest (since he can heal up to keep cards on the table and I love using the 'double' deathrattle , soulpriest and suicide a zombie chow into something to do 10 damage to the hero :-)

I also drew yet another legendary http://www.hearthpwn.com/cards/203-illidan-stormrage although I cant quite make him fit into any of my decks at the moment - i've put him into my priest one and it sometimes works but I think I was doing better with another Soulpriest instead

My priest deathrattle deck

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2014-10-11 at 11.36.11.png

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:11 
Meh

This game is great but the amount of bots needs resolving. In the mornings you are lot more likely to play a bot than a real person and in casual this applies most of the day.

The card picking cycle and timings are a give away as is the auto respond.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:35 
Legendary Boogeyman

They're working on it ;)

https://twitter.com/bdbrode/status/520575501606584320

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 14:20 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Just made it to rank 13 after bouncing around 14 and 15 for ages - I can cope with virtually any class but i still get wiped out against zoo unless i draw the right cards :-(

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 14:22 
Sleepyhead

My Warlock deck seems to struggle against Priests, but most other classes seem to be good against. Paladins are the next most nasty, then Warriors. Basically anyone who heals themselves or whacks on armour and can withstand the initial barrage.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 14:31 
Legendary Boogeyman

You must be playing handlock then. As priest defeating zoo always seems impossible if not for absolutely perfect draws.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 14:36 
Sleepyhead

You must be playing handlock then. As priest defeating zoo always seems impossible if not for absolutely perfect draws.

Nope. Always kill off my first useful minions with that Smite thing, Northshire Cleric to keep loads of cards, injured Blademaster and then Soulpriest into Circle of Healing.

Which admittedly is a good draw, but it happens damn near every time. I usually get them down to single figures, but by the end they have tons of health.

I only tend to have a chance if I get a couple of eggs out so the cut price Flamestrike doesn't totally destroy me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 16:42 
Hello Hello Hello

Latest ten packs being opened for your general disinterestedness.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 18:16 
Legendary Boogeyman

I'd be more inclined to watch these if you weren't taking so long to actually open them, although this one was faster than the others ;)

In other pack opening news I just got Captain Greenskin and with the it Captain's Parrot bonus for getting all pirates. Yaaar.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 21:41 
Hello Hello Hello

That fucking Sylvanas > Reincarnate combo by Shammies is starting to get on my tits a bit.

Not saying it's OP in that it's a hard one to pull off given the lack of card draw Shammies have, and it's a specific two-card combo (one of which is a legendary) - but it's basically a game ender if you get on the wrong end of it.

If you've got one big minion on your side of the board at Turn 8 or later, be careful. In fact, don't even do it.

It's like a Turn 8 Mind Control, but even worse.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 23:34 
ugvm'er at heart...

Had a good arena draw, and just lost 3 on the trot from a commanding position in each game, due to my opponent top decking exactly the legendary they needed to win towards the end of the game...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 16:56 
Legendary Boogeyman

The only times I lose are because of legendaries. There's too much advantage if they have them and you don't. I'm in a commanding position and then Rag goes down, and the Sylvannas goes down, and then Ysera goes down. Above a certain level almost all of the opponents have all of them, and you just can't compete unless I fill the deck with specific counters. Even then, I can pop the big boys but have no room left for a deck that'll actually hit to face enough to win.

Reply to topic  [ 3554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 72  Next