Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 3554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 72  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hearthstone thread
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 19:32 
Legendary Boogeyman

I think if I've decided I just haven't got the time or patience to grind to legend then ranked is a bit pointless. Get to 19 for the card back and fill out quests. I think I'll just about be able to afford the whole of BRM for free by the time each wing comes out, so it's all good. At least with the adventures the cards are guaranteed, expansions really slow down the F2P quest to collect them all.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 19:57 
Hello Hello Hello

I just learned a new German insult!

It wasn't even a 'dirty' win either, pretty straightforward affair with the Trump Pally deck so it's hardly aggro or gimmicky or anything like that (and also, at Rank 19 so it's not like we're tussling for Legend).

Friend request came in, thought I'd see what he had to say :D

Attachment:
hurenshon.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 21:40 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'm doing ok on the ladder so far, rank 14 at the moment, mainly using a demonlock deck, with the Emperor in.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:25 
Meh

I think I would mainly play casual if you could get golden portraits that way.

Glad they don't have achievements, I am a sucker for those as well :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:27 
Hello Hello Hello

So after days of bouncing around at the lower ranks trying to play complex and control style decks, I got the 'Win 5 games with Hunter or Druid' quest.

Since I don't even have a Druid deck in my list at the moment, I just used a solid Midrange Hunter deck to get the quest done.

Won 5 on the trot and climbed to Rank 16, barely even struggled.

They're just such a powerful class, and the relentlessness of the hero power is borderline daft IMO, chuck in the tempo-ruination of Ice Trap, and it's no wonder so many people just play Hunter.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:27 
Legendary Boogeyman

And it's why I hate the unimaginative cunts who play Face Hunter, and they've even had to netdeck that because they couldn't construct a fucking deck to save their life. I BM the fuck out of fucking hunters, the fucks. I do so love beating fucking Hunters. Fuck.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 15:35 
ugvm'er at heart...

Face Hunters will always be in the meta due to the season reseting every month. It's too frequent and everyone starts near the bottom again. If you care about your rank and want to try and get to legend, you have to play the fastest decks possible as you only have 30 days to get there.
Even if you're a 60% player (which i'm not), then that will take almost 300 games to get to legend. 25 hours of in game time on the ladder alone if you play a face hunter deck and get your matches done in 5 minutes. An hour every single day, to possibly make legend at the very end of the month before the reset.
Play a slower deck and you are looking at 2-3 hours of play, every single day.

It's no surprise that people choose the fastest decks possible, you can blame Blizzard for that :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 15:35 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'm mid rank 12 at the moment, with my demonlock deck :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 17:42 
Hello Hello Hello

Oh my the rage potential of this deck. Had one of my friends message me in ANGER about it earlier this afternoon, couldn't then resist investigating and giving it a go myself.....

Mill Rogue was always a thing of course, but very inconsistent. Now with Gang Up it becomes a lot more reliable.... And you can choose more Coldlights, Healbots, or Doomlords to suit....

Not sure how it's going to work out on the ladder, and it fails hard against aggro, but very entertaining to play!

Attachment:
ganguprogue.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 18:14 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

Thanks for posting up that mill deck, it is fun.

and can end with games looking like

Priest got very upset and AFK'd last 3 turns

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 19:28 
Hello Hello Hello

Just had a game where my two Gang Ups were Cards 29 and 30 in my deck :D

Amazingly I did actually manage to last that long!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 19:44 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

have managed to beat a few hunter face decks with this also, and just had a epic game against a shammie, managed to finish him off with fatigue as I used both gang ups on Healbots, so last 5 cards I had to play were all big heals.

Am liking this deck alot for now

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 19:46 
Legendary Boogeyman

Kripp put out a good video on the new mill gangup rogue, very amusing, worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoRxMyX-7KQ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 22:33 
Hello Hello Hello

OMG the mess this deck can make of Face Hunter.

FUCK YOU FACE HUNTER :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:59 
Sleepyhead

Just had a particularly fun Warlock game. Fairly standard deck, but with Emporer Thaurissian. I just played about nine cards in one turn and had mana left to spare! :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:40 
Hello Hello Hello

My brother was not overly impressed with his first encounter with Gang Up Mill Rogue, courtesy of a fine game we just had :D

Very close at one point though, there was one turn where I feared lethal, and another turn where a face shot from Raggy left with me 1 health!

Attachment:
bro1.JPG

Attachment:
bro2.JPG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 13:26 
Meh

I find mill decks to be an irritating waste of my life, so I normally just quit.

When there are too many of them I will go Mech Mage as advised by the Kripp. :)

Saying that Mid Range Hunter also seems to work quite well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 14:24 
Hello Hello Hello

I'm at the stage with the game now where I just want to try everything out. It's like I used to hate on Miracle Rogue so bad, until I put the deck together myself and played with it, and appreciated the craft behind it.

Same with Freeze Mage and Fatigue Mage.

And now to the case in point with this Gang Up Mill Rogue, it's a really tricky deck to play well (and I'm not suggesting I'm good with it 'cause I'm not!), in that Kripp video, the game against the Priest in particular he made some really clever plays to survive to the end game.

I like decks that that have that real risk/reward thing going on, I think they appeal to my gambler's psyche! :D

On the other hand for example, when I did my quest for five wins with Hunter the other day and used a solid midrange deck and easily won five on the bounce, I didn't find it particularly interesting or enjoyable.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 16:06 
Sleepyhead

Just played against a Mill Rogue. He might have stood a chance if I hadn't boosted a Lightwell to 22/22 in the third turn!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 16:13 
Hello Hello Hello

I bet he'd have cut his own arm off for a Sap.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 19:55 
Sleepyhead

Hearthly wrote:
I bet he'd have cut his own arm off for a Sap.

He played that next turn, but by then the damage was done. Still took about another eight turns to finish it, and he defended with valour against Dr Boom and The Emperor before Raggy finished him off.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 20:10 
Hello Hello Hello

That is one of the things with that deck, if nothing else you can certainly drag things out.

I had a game before with it against a mechy style Rogue but he had quite a lot of big stuff in there, and he had the Feugen/Stallag thing going on too. Feugen ended up going back to his hand about four times IIRC, and he never did get Thaddius, but he beat me pretty solidly in the end :)

On one level I could have conceded many turns before I did, (and ended the game 15 minutes or more earlier), but I was curious to see how far the mechanics of the deck could be stretched.

It does fail very hard against Mech Mage though, had that match-up a few times now and it's ruinous.

As I said before though, it's just fun to try something new out, and I like the way you have to stretch your brain around turns where you've already got 7-9 cards in hand, you want to play an Oracle or two, you need to use enough cards to not burn any yourself, work around what you don't want to give him, and so on.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 20:23 
Legendary Boogeyman

Turn 6 Oracle Prep Vanish ftw ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:25 
Meh

That is my main issue all the time you waste playing them.

You can get three games in against other players in the same time so it actually makes sense to quit. :)

I do seem to quit games very easily of late, I am not sure if that is a sign I am losing interest in the game but time will tell.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:24 
Hello Hello Hello

Nemmie wrote:
That is my main issue all the time you waste playing them.

You can get three games in against other players in the same time so it actually makes sense to quit. :)

I do seem to quit games very easily of late, I am not sure if that is a sign I am losing interest in the game but time will tell.

But why does it matter how long a game takes? Unless you're grinding for gold, or wanting to ladder up quickly (as the Legend players have to do every month), or wanting to knock down a daily quest with a class you're not too keen on, I don't really see why it matters.

I think it's quite good fun to dig in for a long and involved game, certainly infinitely preferable to facing off against a tedious zerg rush face deck. (Although that Mill Rogue can make a comedically epic mess of Face Hunter, it's very funny. They usually concede once you get the second batch of Antique Healbots into your deck.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:11 
Sleepyhead

Grim Patrons are a pain in the ass.

Put one down, whirlwind, cruel taskmaster, finish off your death's bite and there's trouble!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:20 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'm having difficulty on the ladder now, having got to 12 quickly, i've stalled significantly. Back down to 13 at the moment.
I'm playing a combination of Demonlock, BouncyPatronWarrior and a mid-range mage deck, had a bad run yesterday where my card draw was awful game after game. My Demonlock has 10 large cards and 20 small mana cards in it (or something like that), I had 2 games in a row where I only drew a couple of 2 drop minions in total, even with my draw power.

Fucking game :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:22 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Curiosity wrote:
Grim Patrons are a pain in the ass.

Put one down, whirlwind, cruel taskmaster, finish off your death's bite and there's trouble!

Harder to do but I was looking at what you could manage with a mage and an exploding sheep but I cant keep them out that long

So put down Grim , ping him once to get a second and then drop the sheep.
If *you* get to control the sheeps demise next move then its ping the first grim (down to 1 point) then sheep which gives you 2 at 1 health and 2 at 3

Its a lot of work for something that does not quite come off

Other option would be warlock and his demon that does 1 damage to all when played (its a pity that his mass damage is a 3 pointer which just kills them outright)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 20:14 
ugvm'er at heart...

The gods of random are not on my side at the moment. I must be something like 2-20 over the past couple of days.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:34 
Hello Hello Hello

The same dude who did that last insane Hearthstone turn is currently going for another, this time it should be 14,688 cards drawn in a single turn, delivering 107m points of fatigue damage. (With an Ice Block preventing lethal.)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... es-at-once

http://www.twitch.tv/mamytwink

On the stream now he's currently taking 13,400 damage per card.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 23:45 
Legendary Boogeyman

BRM Week 2 done, just the Heroics to do tomorrow.

Was made a little easier by a fortuitous combo...

Attachment:
Hearthstone Screenshot 04-09-15 23.18.13.png

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 0:33 
8-Bit Champion

And done for me , 2 attempts at the 2nd boss due to a poor card draw and 2 attempts at the 3rd because

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I stretched for leathal and left him with 7 giants on the board when he turned into raggy - my own raggy hit him in the face for 8 but his giants then pulverized me :-)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:39 
ugvm'er at heart...

That was pretty simple, I went priest, control warrior, face hunter.

Heroics will have to wait, as i'm away this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:01 
8-Bit Champion

Trooper wrote:
That was pretty simple, I went priest, control warrior, face hunter.

Priest / Priest / Warlock

I enjoyed the warriors challenge which once you get the Grim's out becomes pretty crazy :-)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:29 
Hello Hello Hello

The thing that bugs me about these is you have to fuck up one of your deck slots, I find it hard enough to bin one off to try a new deck out for proper games, so having to fanny around with one simply to put together gimmick decks to beat one-off challenges is quite annoying.

I generally try and beat them with existing decks from my slots first.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:40 
8-Bit Champion

Hearthly wrote:

I think for the non heroic you can get away with your normal decks (which is what I did) - but agree for Heroic you really need to dump an existing deck and create a custom one for that specific challenge.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:58 
Sleepyhead

I need 100 more gold before I can unlock this one...

Did my Mage daily 5 wins yesterday. Tried some Mech Mage decks from the Internet and I didn't really like them. If you don't get a couple of specific cards to start then the entire deck fails. When it comes off it's awesome, but way too unreliable for me.

Changed over to a classic Mage deck mixing up some secrets and some frost stuff and won every time. Yay.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:31 
Legendary Boogeyman

I used Priest for the first guy. Circle of healing, mind control tech, cabal shadow priest to steal the little guys and minimise the damage when they died. Divine Spirit/Inner fire combo on a stolen 0/5 ends up being pretty good.

I'll probably do the same for Heroic. The only difference I can see is that it's 3 damage to face for each little guy that died that turn. Same tactics *should* win it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:44 
ugvm'er at heart...

zaphod79 wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

I think for the non heroic you can get away with your normal decks (which is what I did) - but agree for Heroic you really need to dump an existing deck and create a custom one for that specific challenge.

I've started using DeckTracker to store my decks in, as you can export them out of the game and import them back in.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 13:07 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
I've started using DeckTracker to store my decks in, as you can export them out of the game and import them back in.

I just save a jpeg out from the Snipping Tool of decks I like and might want to return to, if I need to replace them with something else.

I also now play with a snip of the deck I'm currently playing with off to the left of my Hearthstone window, makes the mulligan easier and also tracking what I've played and not played. (A bit like the sidebar Trump has on his videos but it doesn't track what cards have been played.)

Got Molten Core done on normal, ended up Midrange Hunter, Trump Legend 1 Pally and Midrange Hunter, just as they were decks I was already running with.

The single player challenges I could do without completely TBH, I just want the cards. The class challenges however with the custom decks I find to be really good fun.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 19:46 
Legendary Boogeyman

Heroic Geddon is fucking bollocks, 100 health, powerful minions, grotesquely overpowered cards, 10 face damage if you can't spend all your mana with a zero cost hero power.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 20:19 
Legendary Boogeyman

The deck that finally beat the cheaty bastard:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Attachment:
geddon.png

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 21:27 
Legendary Boogeyman

Ok all Heroics done. Raggles was quite the bastard too. Modified handlock to down that piece of shit.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:37 
Hello Hello Hello

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
Ok all Heroics done. Raggles was quite the bastard too. Modified handlock to down that piece of shit.

As an AI I don't think he'll be taking the insult personally :D

There isn't as much comedy in the second wing I thought (or at least not so far), cartoon Kel'Thuzad was very funny I thought.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 15:38 
Legendary Boogeyman

Seriously, play the Heroic a couple of times just to see what I'm talking about. Geddon really is bonkers. That clock thing he throws on your powerful minions deals 10 damage to all your stuff on heroic and he has about 6 of them in his deck. That's why mine was full of all the silence you can possibly get.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 19:31 
Sleepyhead

Haven't done the heroic ones, but I sailed through the regular with Warlock, and every time he played that I used Power Overwhelming :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 19:59 
ugvm'er at heart...

iPhone version is out, Android version is out "real soon now"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:31 
8-Bit Champion

Trooper wrote:
iPhone version is out, Android version is out "real soon now"

Android phone version is out now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

That was soon.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 13:13 
Hello Hello Hello

Very impressive!

Runs peachy on my Nexus5, probably about the same sort of performance as on Mrs Hearthly's iPad Air, give or take.

The way they've rejigged the UI for the smaller screen is subtle but very clever, and works really well. (Well, it was fine for a Midrange Hunter deck where I never had more than 5 cards in hard, not sure how it'll play out for decks that routinely hold 8-10 cards in hand, but I shall give it a try.)

My preference for platform would be PC > iPad > Phone, but overall I'd say the phone experience doesn't compromise the game in any way.

Also, you get a free pack of classic cards for playing a game on Android!

Reply to topic  [ 3554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 72  Next