Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 3554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 72  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hearthstone thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 14:40 
Meh

They started the permanent banning of bot users yesterday. So a few thousand have now been permanently banned.

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blo ... DIbl82Wg.0

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 18:23 
Hello Hello Hello

zaphod79 wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
Free to play thieves stealing all our legendaries!

FYI : I paid for Nax on day 1 (and will probably do the same for the new expansion)

It was very much tongue in cheek :)

More sideways-directed at EBG in all honesty :hat:

And yes as has already been noted, it's purely card packs to get the next expansion, as I understand it Arena rewards are changing to the new card packs, and you can continue to buy them with gold and cash like now.

I guess they'll have to split the shop out into the original packs, and the new Goblins vs Gnomes packs, and you choose which ones you want to buy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:22 
Legendary Boogeyman

It's a bit of a ballache, at least with Naxx you could get all the cards by completing the challenges. This is just new, added grind! F2P surely does take a while, although I take comfort in knowing that Hearthly has spunked ~£60 and only has a couple more legendaries than me ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:47 
Meh

The snake trap hunter is a great deck. My win rate with it is now better than Zoo.

Just those pesky control warriors that rain on my parade. The quaintly named Ebola Druid is very good for those and against hunters.

Mainly I am seeing Zoo, Hunter (about 4 variations) and Ebola Druid on the ladder.

At 13 but been mainly developing my Mage which is now very reliable and fun in casual.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:55 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Nemmie wrote:
The snake trap hunter is a great deck. My win rate with it is now better than Zoo.

Snake trap triggering when an enemy attacks the knife thrower is great to watch :-)

Nemmie wrote:
Mainly I am seeing Zoo, Hunter (about 4 variations) and Ebola Druid on the ladder.

At 13 but been mainly developing my Mage which is now very reliable and fun in casual.

I got down to 16 again last night which was the first time I've really been able to chain a few wins together - at this level I'm also seeing quite a few priest decks with death-rattle stuff in there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:20 
Hello Hello Hello

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
It's a bit of a ballache, at least with Naxx you could get all the cards by completing the challenges. This is just new, added grind! F2P surely does take a while, although I take comfort in knowing that Hearthly has spunked ~£60 and only has a couple more legendaries than me ;)

My total spend so far is £87.

2 x 40 packs (£35 each)
1 x Naxx (£14)
1 x Beta packs, gave Mekkatorque (sic?) legendary guaranteed (£3 IIRC)

I don't begrudge the game the money at all, I've had hundreds of hours of enjoyment out of it and it's saved me far more than that in cash that I usually spunk on PC upgrades that I don't need or even particularly want, or rash console purchases, or other techy shit that I can't resist but in no way require.

The benefit for me is that it's given me the freedom to play around with decks and legendaries almost as I've fancied, rather than having to wait for cards and/or dust through gold/arena. For example when I decided to give Miracle Rogue a try, I could just drop the 1600 dust on Leeroy without worrying about it. (And craft a couple of other key cards, like a second Preparation which is an epic.)

More recently with Warrior, I was able to craft a Grommash and then an Alex, which allowed me to have a crack with your Psycho Warrior Deck (albeit with some tweaks), and that's become one of my all time favourite decks to play.

(And I made myself an Al'Akir to have a crack with a Trump Shaman deck I liked the look of.)

I don't see it as pay to win (because the game clearly isn't that, one of my mates at work who's 100% F2P hit Rank 5 last season with a Hunter deck, four ranks higher than I've ever managed), but it is perhaps 'pay to play as I want to', and I've got no problem with that at all.

As such I'll lob £35 at Goblins vs Gnomes packs, to give me a head start with my card collection, and then do the rest with gold, same as I have with the main game. (Apart from Naxx I haven't spent any cash since May.)

Each to their own I guess, (for me F2P would diminish the fun of the game, but I can understand those who appreciate the challenge and the long-term goals it provides), however my focus with the game is to enjoy as many different decks and cards as possible, and paying a bit of cash helps with that :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 13:12 
Legendary Boogeyman

Yeah and I'll repeat my sentiment that the game is worth the money. I spent over £60 on Skyrim + DLC and felt that was well worth it for >250 hours of play. Considering I can easily fritter £60 on minor non-essential purchases, it's not hard to justify anything that provides even medium term enjoyment.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 23:19 
Sleepyhead

I've mostly been larking about this season. Used the cheapo Warlock and Hunter to get to 15 and then tried out all sorts of others (Druid, Warrior, etc) and dropped back down to 16. Just used my Shaman deck for today's quest and won 5 in a row, with none of them even close! Too tired to play more now, but might have a go at that next week.

Nothing is more satisfying than a Handlock dropping a 4/10 Twilight Drake, only for you to Earth Shock it to death for 1 mana :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 0:57 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
Nothing is more satisfying than a Handlock dropping a 4/10 Twilight Drake, only for you to Earth Shock it to death for 1 mana :D

Heh, I always mulligan for Earthshock against Warlock as it's very good against Handlock and pretty good against Zoo.

If I have one in hand I'm like, please, please, play a Twilight Drake, the bigger the better :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:18 
Meh

zaphod79 wrote:
Nemmie wrote:

Snake trap triggering when an enemy attacks the knife thrower is great to watch :-)

Nemmie wrote:

I got down to 16 again last night which was the first time I've really been able to chain a few wins together - at this level I'm also seeing quite a few priest decks with death-rattle stuff in there.

Yes, I am a big fan of the knife thrower as well. Useful in lots of situations.

I must be lucky as I am not encountering many priests. They can be incredibly irritating!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:42 
Hello Hello Hello

Nemmie wrote:
I must be lucky as I am not encountering many priests. They can be incredibly irritating!

It's not just you or me, the guy at work who plays a lot (and who got to Rank 5 last season) emphatically insists that 'there's nothing more satisfying than twatting a priest'.

With the Warrior Control deck I've learned just to give them absolutely fuck all on the board to work with, even small shit like Ghouls or Armorsmiths, as they'll cheerfully steal them and then fuck you over with them.

Belchers are safe because the worst they can do with those is pinch them until the end of the turn (Mindgames), but anything below 2 attack that they might be able to arse you around with, it's safer to just not play at all.

By all means control their plays down (Clerics, Pyros etc), but when you hit their face, hit it hard and emphatically.

Some classes/decks don't really have that choice of course, you've just got to run with what you have (fast Hunter decks suffer badly because of all their small minions), but with the Warrior deck I'll happily just armour up until I can make a strong play like a Belcher, or control down what they play if they make a play first.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 17:49 
Hello Hello Hello

Bouncing around Rank 13 and Rank 12, for every two or three wins I can string together, I'll then hit a losing streak of three or four games and be back to where I started or even worse off.

I'm not really enjoying it very much though, so I'm not really playing that many games, and keep finding myself decamping to Casual to play with a deck I enjoy but doesn't fit well in the current meta.

Could well be that Rank 12 is it for me this season, the idea of digging my heels in for a serious session in Ranked when it's just the same few decks coming up time and time again isn't appealing in the slightest.

Still loving Casual though, the games aren't any easier, they're just more fun.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:18 
Meh

I am not sure I will get past 10 if I even make it there.

I also spend too much time in casual but I enjoy testing out new decks and tweaking decks more than I do grinding the ladder. I don't think I will be winning this months challenge.

I will have had a lot of fun though and that is the main thing I suppose.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:25 
8-Bit Champion

I'm still around 16 / 17 - had a game last night with a warrior (I'm a hunter).

Round 9 , i get them down to 6 health / no armour and they have not touched me so i'm still on 30 - I have a few small minions on the board and enough points in my hand for lethal next turn

They drop a worgen and give it charge / windfury and turn it into a 15/1 to kill me on a single turn

Obviously relies on them having the right cards in hand but it was a very impressive finisher.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 13:45 
Meh

I love it when a plan comes together..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 14:05 
8-Bit Champion

Nemmie wrote:

Was their next play

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 14:17 
Meh

zaphod79 wrote:
Nemmie wrote:

Was their next play

Nope, they tried tracking to find it but failed and also failed the next round. Then they quit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 19:51 
ugvm'er at heart...

This is interesting, 400,000 arena games mined for card value.

http://estatsguy.wordpress.com/arenamastery/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 17:49 
ugvm'er at heart...

10 days left in the season, currently L14 and i'm away this weekend.
I suspect I will be lucky to finish L12 at this rate.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 18:00 
8-Bit Champion

Trooper wrote:
10 days left in the season, currently L14 and i'm away this weekend.
I suspect I will be lucky to finish L12 at this rate.

I got the 10 day warning message last night i'm at 15 with 4 stars so just one more win to tip over to 14 but its been much more difficult this month than last.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 22:17 
Hello Hello Hello

I'm back into WoW in a pretty big way (the Warlords of Draenor expansion is awesome, like, fifty gazillion times better than the pandas), so Hearthstone will be on the back burner for a while.

I'll keep up with the Hearthstone daily quests for gold, (for card packs come the Goblins vs Gnomes expansion), but that'll be about it.

Can't see myself dropping any cash on Goblins vs Gnomes card packs now either.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:57 
8-Bit Champion

Guide and info on cards that have been announced so far

http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/20/72473 ... -new-cards

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:01 
Hello Hello Hello

zaphod79 wrote:
Guide and info on cards that have been announced so far

http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/20/72473 ... -new-cards

I agree with what EBG said a couple of pages back, so many new cards when IMO the Naxx stuff hasn't 100% bedded in yet is really going to shake the game up again, but in potentially quite a random and messy direction (especially since so many of the cards themselves have random effects).

I'm also slightly concerned that the cards are getting a teensey bit over-powered on the base stats side of things, with a lot of the cards Trump was saying words to the effect of 'this card would be pretty good even without the text'.

The worry there is that Blizz could quite easily devalue older cards in favour of new cards, simply by making the newer cards give more bang for their mana buck, pushing folks toward purchasing card packs to get the new cards.

I'd also be quite sad if decks like Miracle Rogue became completely non-viable even in Casual, because they're such good fun to play.

We will have to wait and see though!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 18:13 
8-Bit Champion

14 and 2 stars last night - today one of my quests was to win 2 games with hunter which i have just succeeded at and I'm at rank 17 so that must have been around 10 losses for those 2 wins :-(

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 13:28 
8-Bit Champion

And back to 14 2 stars

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2014-11-23 at 12.19.01.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 14:01 
Sleepyhead

I'm ruining my stats by getting up to, say, 12, then changing decks for a quest and screwing things up.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 16:55 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
I'm ruining my stats by getting up to, say, 12, then changing decks for a quest and screwing things up.

Why not change to Casual for quests if it's a deck/class you're not so comfortable with?

Personally I haven't played a Ranked game for days now, possibly over a week, even.

Still doing my daily quests in Casual (sat on over 1200 gold at the moment), and I am enjoying those games, plus it'll give me a nice war chest of gold for when the new cards hit in December. Don't see much point in buying packs at the moment, when the new cards are going to be shaking everything up so much, and I want to have as many of them as possible from the off.

Game-time wise however, WoW is back on the rampage in a serious fashion.....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 17:13 
Sleepyhead

Coz I often win the first one with a deck I made in 20 seconds and then think it might work again and it doesn't. Also, ultimately, I'm not too bothered and find it more challenging.

Think my Paladin deck is gonna need to get the quest in Casual though.

More interesting is that playing about 10 games today I didn't encounter a single rush deck. The meta seems to be moving (from a small sample size) to more controlling decks (though no Warriors today, weirdly).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 21:31 
8-Bit Champion

Attachment:
image.jpg

Golden legendary and level 13 3 stars

Attachment:
image.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 21:56 
Sleepyhead

Someone is getting all the good cards! Last ten packs I have had all common apart from one rare each pack and one bonus epic that I'll never use.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 14:00 
ugvm'er at heart...

Interesting stats from Blizzard

Hitting level 10 puts you in the top 7.5% of players.
Anything above 15 is top 25%.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 15:32 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I wonder of those 75% how many are sitting at 25 because they've not played a single ranked game or they're dormant accounts.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 15:52 
8-Bit Champion

Cras wrote:
I wonder of those 75% how many are sitting at 25 because they've not played a single ranked game or they're dormant accounts.

A useful thing to see on that would be where the break is at 20 (which is all you can drop back to after playing some games during the month)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 16:51 
ugvm'er at heart...

These are the results of a recent reddit poll

#gid=0">https://docs.google.com/a/thoughtworks. ... edit#gid=0

Obviously they are going to be massively skewed to better players, as it's a pretty fair assumption that if you are active in the reddit community, you are likely to be more interested in the game and play it more often...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 20:00 
Legendary Boogeyman

I played a Casual game. Hunter v. Hunter, and I won.

The person was mad.

Attachment:
angry.jpg

I translated what he said:

Quote:
dirty son of a bitch topdecker
go fuck your mother bastard
dirty wog

I've seldom encountered such butthurt.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 21:25 
ugvm'er at heart...

You going to report him? That will get him temporary ban.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 21:39 
Legendary Boogeyman

I genuinely cannot be arsed. I found it vaguely amusing that someone could get so angry over a card game - the curiosity of what they might say is the only reason you accept the friend request.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 22:35 
Hello Hello Hello

In all fairness playing against EBG makes me feel the same way.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 23:22 
Legendary Boogeyman

You think I'm a dirty wog? Racialist!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 13:20 
Hello Hello Hello

Here's the deck that a mate at work is currently at Rank 5 with, and rising!

No such fancery as screenshots but he did hand-write it from memory, albeit with some personal riffs on the names of the cards.

Haunted Creeper = 1/1 Spiders
Harvest Golem = Harvester Golem, summoning up images of country pubs
Flare = Flair, far more stylish than any of our Flares
Kill Command = 3/5 Damage, does what it says on the tin
Animal Companion = Random Beast

etc etc....

It's not Net-Decked from anywhere and as you can see it's a Deathrattle variant on one of the favoured Hunter decks out in the meta at the moment, with Baron Rivendare potentially causing all sorts of trouble (that's why he's got the Golems in there).

By his own admission when it fails it fails really hard, but he reckons he's managing at 55-60% win rate with it, and interestingly says the games aren't really much harder at Rank 5 then they are at Rank 10.

Can't argue with results, Rank 5 is quite an achievement, but he's nearly out of time this season to get much higher.....

Attachment:
richdeck.JPG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 13:42 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'm currently L11. Should be able to get to L10 I think, but that's going to be it I expect.

If I hadn't started with mage, I would probably be a tad higher.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2014-11-29 at 12.40.17.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 15:32 
Sleepyhead

I was L12 but got bored and made some new decks.

I'm now L15

:D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 16:08 
ugvm'er at heart...

Whoop!

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2014-11-29 at 15.07.35.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:30 
Legendary Boogeyman

I've entirely given up ranked for this month, I didn't have enough time in the end so instead focussed on farming gold for GvG. What I'll actually do is go Arena with it for better gold->card value while being able to experiment with some of the newer cards in the draft. I have about 800g at the moment and I'll keep at it until the expansion is out.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:52 
ugvm'er at heart...

I got to 9***** in the end, but have now dropped down to 9* again.
Today is the last day of the season, so I doubt I'm going to get higher than that again, so 9***** is my result for the month :)

What did everyone else end up as?

I've got 1100g saved up now, I'm going to do the same and spend it in arena when GvG drops.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 16:15 
Hello Hello Hello

Rank 12 for me, and haven't even played a Ranked game for the best part of three weeks, just about keeping up with the daily quests in Casual, and I wouldn't be doing that but for the GvG expansion being close to release and I want to have a decent stash of gold to launch into a decent number of card packs. (Currently sat on about 1650G.)

This is also known as 'The WoW Effect' :D Only enough time for one game obsession at once!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 17:42 
Hello Hello Hello

Hmmm decided to play Ranked for my daily quest, needed five wins and got five on the bounce.... TBH the games were a hell of a lot easier than I've been getting in Casual!

Rank 10 then :)

Attachment:
5bounce.JPG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:05 
Meh

12 was my highest.

I have definitely decided that casual is a lot more fun so I will be sticking to it in future, apart from going for the months card back.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:29 
ugvm'er at heart...

9th December for the expansion.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:21 
Hello Hello Hello

Should have about 2000 gold by then, so can hit the ground running with 20 decks.

TBH with this many new cards coming in (and me not playing Hearthstone that much at the moment) I think I'll just what others make of the new cards and take it from there, TO THE TRUMP-O-TRON!

Reply to topic  [ 3554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 72  Next