Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ] 
 Post subject: Infamous : Second Son
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 15:05 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

I thought we had a thread for this but cant find it - as well as Uncharted for PS4 there was also a new Infamous : Second Son trailer which confirms the release date (21st March 2014)

Post subject: Re: Infamous : Second Son
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 0:05 
SavyGamer

Want.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 0:10 
Bad Girl

Don't want.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:51 
UltraMod

Meh.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 15:48 
8-Bit Champion

Infamous in 5 minutes :

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2014/03/17/inf ... -5-minutes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 15:55 

"Advertisement, please wait"

"No"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 16:06 
8-Bit Champion

markg wrote:
"Advertisement, please wait"

"No"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 16:22 

Cool ta. Yeah I had forgotten all of that. I just remember a lot of whizzing about and killing folk.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 16:23 
UltraMod

markg wrote:
Cool ta. Yeah I had forgotten all of that. I just remember a lot of whizzing about and killing folk.

I tried the first game recently but it just seemed like a poor man's Crackdown.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 16:31 

Pretty sure I played it after Crackdown and still really enjoyed it. I thought that the combat was more fun than it was in Crackdown. Crackdown was amazing first time around when your abilities were building up and you could climb and jump further each day. For me it didn't work at all when they tried to use all the same tricks for Crackdown 2.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 16:33 
UltraMod

markg wrote:
Pretty sure I played it after Crackdown and still really enjoyed it. I thought that the combat was more fun than it was in Crackdown. Crackdown was amazing first time around when your abilities were building up and you could climb and jump further each day. For me it didn't work at all when they tried to use all the same tricks for Crackdown 2.

Fatigue set it with Infamous once I reached the second island. It just seemed really samey.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 16:35 
Paws for thought

British Nervoso wrote:
markg wrote:

I tried the first game recently but it just seemed like a poor man's Crackdown.
I quite enjoyed it. Crackdown with a bit more structure and somewhat weaker controls. Although your character was a little weak.

Tried infamous 2 and it left me cold, although not much seemed different, although I suspect i know the reason for this.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 15:35 

A solid 7/10 from Eurogamer. So nothing to cause me to go rushing out to buy it but I'll play it some time. Prime candidate for being a free PS+ game in about a year's time I reckon.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 15:43 
UltraMod

Quote:
it's a shame that Second Son suffers from a consistent failure of imagination in how it's put together. There's not been much of an attempt to shake up the mission scenarios or structure of the game, leaving you with a very rote open-world adventure. Follow the waypoint marker, chase the suspect, investigate the scene, wipe out the jackboots; hunt the collectables and tick the boxes. You've been here many times before.

This is pretty much why I got bored with the first one. Just felt like I'd been there a hundred times before. Probably best I avoid.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 15:46 
8-Bit Champion

Reviews are a bit mixed although generally good :

Destructiod 9.5 : http://www.destructoid.com/review-infam ... 1871.phtml
Joystiq 9.0 : http://www.joystiq.com/2014/03/20/infam ... r-smoking/
IGN 8.7 : http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/03/20/i ... son-review
Gamespot 8.0 : http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/infamou ... 0-6415705/
Eurogamer 7.0 : http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... son-review

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 17:10 
Rude Belittler

I'm up for it, I've not played an Infamous game... due to never owning a Pee Ess Thuhree.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 17:20 
Excellent Member

I think I played the demos for the two Infamous games but neither of them really grabbed me, and constantly getting them confused with the Prototype games didn't help. This one goes in the 'if I've got a PS4 and nothing much else to play on it I'll pick this up' bucket for me. Although you can absolutely guarantee it'll be on PS+ at some point in the next 18 months so likely I'll never have to actually buy it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 17:38 
SavyGamer

This is £33.65 here
http://savygamer.co.uk/2014/03/20/infam ... ps4-33-65/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 17:53 
8-Bit Champion

LewieP wrote:

You can also get it for £36.31 by buying PSN credit on Amazon.com and going through the US PSN store

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 18:16 
SavyGamer

£36.31 is more than £33.65.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 18:23 
8-Bit Champion

LewieP wrote:
£36.31 is more than £33.65.

It is - however I already have a US account setup and would need to create another and set its home account on my PS4 - i will have a play around but it may come down to a lot of work for a £2.70 saving

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 20:04 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Like Bamba, I get these games mixed up with Prototype. A friend of mine raved about them but I could never see the appeal.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:02 
SavyGamer

£28.66 here:
http://savygamer.co.uk/2014/03/20/infam ... ps4-28-66/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:16 
Bad Girl

TheVision wrote:
Like Bamba, I get these games mixed up with Prototype. A friend of mine raved about them but I could never see the appeal.

It's easy to see the appeal: super powered protagonist, big city, sandbox, lovely graphics, zap pow pow.

The problem is Infamous was terribly bland. The biggest problem however was that the bits you would be doing for 95% of the game - climbing and shooting - wasn't actually much fun. It should have been: you could throw explosive bombs, shoot a sniper laser and do a blast of energy knocking things out the way, but it was so generic and the fact that 99% of the enemies were generic and just swarmed in from all angles endless shooting with zero AI that you could rarely, if ever, get into a rhythm of using all your powers and feel like a badass superhero. If you play a game as a badass superhero I want the fundamentals to feel awesome. It didn't.

As you might have guessed, I'm not interested in this new one at all.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:49 
UltraMod

Saturnalian wrote:
TheVision wrote:

It's easy to see the appeal: super powered protagonist, big city, sandbox, lovely graphics, zap pow pow.

The problem is Infamous was terribly bland. The biggest problem however was that the bits you would be doing for 95% of the game - climbing and shooting - wasn't actually much fun. It should have been: you could throw explosive bombs, shoot a sniper laser and do a blast of energy knocking things out the way, but it was so generic and the fact that 99% of the enemies were generic and just swarmed in from all angles endless shooting with zero AI that you could rarely, if ever, get into a rhythm of using all your powers and feel like a badass superhero. If you play a game as a badass superhero I want the fundamentals to feel awesome. It didn't.

You have summed up my feelings about it far better than I did. Ta.

I was interested in the sequels if they were able to build on it and make it more exciting, but from what I've read they're just the same.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:51 
Paws for thought

British Nervoso wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:
TheVision wrote:

I was interested in the sequels if they were able to build on it and make it more exciting, but from what I've read they're just the same.

If anything 2 is worse than 1. I just couldn't be bothered with it at all.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:20 

I actually finished the first one which is pretty rare for me with any game that takes more than a few evenings. I thought that the running and jumping was great fun, especially once your character progressed a bit. The second one I was enjoying until something else that I got through PS+ came along and distracted me. I reckon I'll enjoy this one when I get round to it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:39 
8-Bit Champion

Finished this last week - a fun game with about the right length for me - however I now need to decide if i go straight back around and do the evil side or stick with good and claim / clear out the rest of the city (I had only taken over 1 area in my playthrough)

Neogaf has a thread running to show off some of the graphics from this game - its one of the first games on the PS4 that really looks like something that would not have been possible on the 360 or PS3

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=805887

Some examples :

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:45 

Yeah I'm really enjoying it too. I've been clearing the city as I go and just got to the final area and what I assume will be the end battle. Looking forward to doing it all again as a wrong 'un.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 18:39 
Rude Belittler

I'd pretty much cleared out everything before the last bit. I keep meaning to do the Paperchase Thingy, I've done the first bit. It was quite good.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 19:46 
8-Bit Champion

Pundabaya wrote:
I'd pretty much cleared out everything before the last bit. I keep meaning to do the Paperchase Thingy, I've done the first bit. It was quite good.

My paperchase bit keeps complaining that it cant connect - i think i need to re-do it to make it sync again :-(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:43 

Finished it last night. Friend reckons that it's an easy game to get a platinum on and I've never even come close to that yet so I'll crank the difficulty up, play through it again as a cunt and see if I can finish it before reaching the limit of my enthusiasm.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:13 
8-Bit Champion

markg wrote:
Finished it last night. Friend reckons that it's an easy game to get a platinum on and I've never even come close to that yet so I'll crank the difficulty up, play through it again as a cunt and see if I can finish it before reaching the limit of my enthusiasm.

I have no platinums so may make this my first - i spent about an hour or so last night going through and maxing out the different regions in the city - i have all the regions on the 2nd island and about 1/2 on the first so then it would just be going through the story part of the game on evil / hard to get the platinum

Spoilers on powers / clearing area strategy :

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I found concrete is the easiest to take out the DUP choppers / APC's as you just hit them with the powered up R1 blast and they explode - the blast also takes down the more powerful enemies in a single hit - you then grab the power from their bodies to take out more of them

For the phone missions where your attacked by a large group the easiest way was to switch to neon and take down a drug dealer area first which maxes out your karma drop attack - trigger the phone and then just hit that to wipe out everything in front of you (occasionally have to then take out a sniper on a rooftop but virtually always just finish it from the one blast).

I also struggled with the missions to spot the spy - i'm getting better at seeing them but having neon upgraded gives you a 'slow time' effect when you aim which means that once the spy starts to run i just slow time and shoot them to end the mission really easily - I think the rest of the game may have been easier if i had chosen to unlock and use this earlier although i see its not available if you have negative Karma so i wonder what the equivalent is on that side.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:20 
Bad Girl

I can't find online whether I have any plat's. I don't think I do. OR DO I?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:27 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
I can't find online whether I have any plat's. I don't think I do. OR DO I?

It tells you right at the top of the very first page when you sign into the PSN website so you're not looking very hard. :p I can also see your trophies and no, you've got not platinums.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:42 
Bad Girl

Ahh, I was using the app and it just lists the trophies for each game without the summary.

Plat's are for poofs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:15 
Paws for thought

Saturnalian wrote:
Ahh, I was using the app and it just lists the trophies for each game without the summary.

Plat's are for poofs.

Unless it's for Dark Souls 2.
(I am only 3 magics away, just need to get inside the castle on NG++)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:21 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... od-entries

Such a pretty game.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:05 
8-Bit Champion

I spent about an hour last night going round and finishing up all the districts / missions / shards etc on 'good' so I'm missing a few odd little things and then the 'evil' powers ones so will probably take a bit of a break and go back and do it on evil to 100% it

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:20 
What-ho, chaps!

Mr Dave wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:
TheVision wrote:

If anything 2 is worse than 1. I just couldn't be bothered with it at all.

Thank god, I thought it was just me.

That game started off as a slog, and got steadily more and more sloggy as it went on. And the plot tapered off, and then went BAM HOW ABOUT THIS without much consequence.

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]