Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ] 
 Post subject: Car seats
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 17:18 

Hi folks,

I'm so completely confused by trying to find a car seat as Mimimini is giantsizing up... Our current car seat has a quick release base (something fix, not isofix... I dunno) but so many are Isofix reliant that I really need some advice.

Ideally, I'd like a seat that was rear-facing as long as possible, and really I'd like one that was group 1-3, or isize compatible, however I don't think the car has isofix points.

It is a 2008 Ford Fiesta Mk7 Titanium, so... Big breath... Will this actually allow me to retro-fit isofix points to the car: Ford 1357238 Britax ISOfix Mounting Kit for Childseats 2004 Onwards for Focus https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0096L2JOE/ ... exb80Y6Y0Z

I'm so confused, and my head hurts and I just need someone to listen/advise because j want to do what is best and safest and I'm getting distressed that I don't know who to ask.

Post subject: Re: Car seats
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 17:21 
Gogmagog

http://www.britax.co.uk/car-seats/dualfix/

We have this one. Being able to turn it to load her in is awesome. Worth every penny.

No idea about isofix in your car though.

Edit: Mothercare will help and tell you loads we found, too

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 17:32 
Unpossible!

Don't worry about isofix. There are bases that just loop through the seatbelt.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 17:34 
Unpossible!

For example
http://www.kiddicare.com/p/Joie_Car_Seat_Base.htm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 17:38 

DavPaz wrote:
Don't worry about isofix. There are bases that just loop through the seatbelt.

That's like what we have now, but I think a lot if the car seats I have seen are isofix specific, and looking for non isofix ones really narrows the choice. I just want what's going to be safest, really :(

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 17:39 
Unpossible!

Seatbelts are pretty safe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 17:47 
Gogmagog

DavPaz wrote:
Seatbelts are pretty safe

I agree. A bit of a bugger on the seat I have in the ka to clip in but doesn't move when done.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 17:50 

Hmm.. I think I'm either confusing matters (or myself) or not explaining my scrambled thinking much. But let's say I wanted the car seat that Maki has linked to above. Well that says that the fitting uses isofix, and I can't see there's an alternative fitting (seatbelt/seatbelt&abase) so that means we can't use that one, doesn't it? I think so, anyway. If that's the case, then that looks to be the case for every car seat that I've looked at :/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 17:52 
Excellent Member

Have you checked for the ISO, I had a 2006 Skoda and that had them fitted.

ISO fix is viewed as safer as its simpler to do, seat belt ones are fine, I used one for a while, but more care needs to be taken when setting the seat up.

We use a Maxi-Cosi one now (ISO) and its rear facing with the option to be front facing

Advice tool here, guessing mine is out of date model wise now, but will did the model out once the demon that has replaced my son today is in bed!

http://www.maxi-cosi.co.uk/gb-en/car-se ... -tool.aspx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 18:13 
Gogmagog

Mimi wrote:
Hmm.. I think I'm either confusing matters (or myself) or not explaining my scrambled thinking much. But let's say I wanted the car seat that Maki has linked to above. Well that says that the fitting uses isofix, and I can't see there's an alternative fitting (seatbelt/seatbelt&abase) so that means we can't use that one, doesn't it? I think so, anyway. If that's the case, then that looks to be the case for every car seat that I've looked at :/

Oh right. You might be able to get the isofix retrofitted or have an adapter put in. Mothercare shop will probably know

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 18:19 

I had a loom online and it seemed to suggest the car wouldn't have them but that there are the holes in the bodywork to have the kit fitted.

I'm not against s Seat-belt fitted car seat by any means (after all, that's how the current car seat is fitted), but from what I understand the current EU directives (I know, grumble grumble will say some folks) say that rear-facing to a later age is safer and preferable, so if POSSIBLE I'd like him to rear-face for longer, as he's just turned 7 months today and is already outgrowing his seat, because he's tall for his mere months... The rear facing g seats I can find that go up to a later age/stage seem to only have isofix options from what I can tell, and that's before the iSize standard that's been introduced as the new EU standard is even on the table.

I can't get that tool to work on my phone but will gave a look thus evening when baby is in bed, thank you for that :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 19:00 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I remember reading not to worry too much about rear facing. Most collisions happen from the side in this country so rear facing or front facing wouldn't make a difference. This collision data is different in Europe if I recall with most collisions happening from the front.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 19:02 
Excellent Member

Looking at the link of Mali's, the Britax Römer can be fitted rear facing - fitted with a seat belt - to 13kg. With the seat suiting a child up to 18kg or 4 yo.

13kg must be about 3yo, is it?

I hope you find one that suits your needs, Mimi :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 19:09 

Darwin is 10kg, 7 months (flexes muscles), so I am ideally looking for something that will allow rear-facing until a little later, but that said I didn't know what TheVision said, which is very interesting... I wonder why that is?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 19:15 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I guess we have more roundabouts? I dunno though..

How far away are you from Toys R us in Oldbury? They have trained experts who will fit the seat in the car for you while it's on the car park. We went there for all three of our seats and found them very helpful and knowledgeable.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 19:17 

That's brill, thank you for the tip, TheVision. I am not sure where Oldbury is, but I know there's one near Dudley on that roundabout.

Also, after all that, our car has isofix built in... We just never noticed.

Brain so tired.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 19:18 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

That's the one! Not technically Dudley but it's very close. Yeah, I'd try them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 19:19 
Decapodian

That's the right Toys R Us, just off the motorway.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 19:32 

Cheers guys, we'll pop there tomorrow I think xx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:02 
sneering elitist

TheVision wrote:
I remember reading not to worry too much about rear facing. Most collisions happen from the side in this country so rear facing or front facing wouldn't make a difference. This collision data is different in Europe if I recall with most collisions happening from the front.

Not true. I'm on my phone so will have to find you links later but rear facing for as long as possible is important.

Mimi, I have an extended rear facing seat you can have. It'll rear face til 25kg, is not isofix and is only a couple of years old. Not been in an accident. Worth circa £200 new. The name of it escapes me because I'm having a brain fart but it is a fantastic seat. I still use another one of the same kind for Olly :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:38 
Paws for thought

TheVision wrote:

One cars side tends to hit the others front, mind.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:55 
sneering elitist

It's the Two Way Elite I have - http://shop.carseat.se/car-seats/britax ... ite-1.html

It's been barely used as it was a spare.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 18:46 

Oh, that looks perfect. The rear-facing ones I have seen haven't gone up to anywhere near that weight, and I've had such a time trying to find one. I will get Russell to see if he can find online somewhere if it will fit our car (as it is wee!)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 20:26 
sneering elitist

It's the smallest rear facing seat in its class - I had a similar problem finding seats to fit the shape/size of my original Skoda - so I would be surprised if it wouldn't fit. You could try asking here > https://www.facebook.com/RearFacingTheWayForward/

If you do want it, let me know and I'm sure we can arrange a trip to drop it off or something :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:18 
Excellent Member

We had an isofix base for the maxi cosi but decided not to use it for the next one up

the next one up we had was a maxi cosi axiss and it was extremely well fixed with the seatbelt, so much so that when we rolled the car tree times, katie didnt move. She didnt have a scratch, bruise, dent - anything
We on the other hand, both strapped in, had concussions and all sorts.

the back facing thing has been discussed here as well, the idea being if you hit something head on you don't get the whiplash effect, however if you get hit from behind you do and if you get hit from the side there is no difference. Opinion obviously varies. We had a front facing one and would choose that again.

I'd say dont worry too much about the seat after this one, we found that after the group1 it was all about the height and placement of the seatbelt and they all do pretty well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:33 

miki wrote:
the back facing thing has been discussed here as well, the idea being if you hit something head on you don't get the whiplash effect, however if you get hit from behind you do and if you get hit from the side there is no difference. Opinion obviously varies. We had a front facing one and would choose that again.

We have a front facing one because that's pretty much all there seemed to be when we were looking. However from reading up after reading this thread rear-facing is definitely safer. So opinions might vary but the facts really don't, my first thought was what if you get rear-ended but it transpires that most rear end collisions tend to be fairly minor whereas for obvious reasons most (75% I think) of the more serious accidents that cause death or serious injury are head on. But you have to consider other things, we're dealing with fairly low levels of risk anyway and if you pretty much just drive round slower, local roads with occasional trips away then I can't imagine that it's really all that significant.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:55 
Unpossible!

When I were a lad, we used to roam around in the back seat, 3 of us mind, wi' no belts or straps or nowt. Never did us any harm. Bloody Brussels, spoiling our lives.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:22 

Jem wrote:
It's the smallest rear facing seat in its class - I had a similar problem finding seats to fit the shape/size of my original Skoda - so I would be surprised if it wouldn't fit. You could try asking here > https://www.facebook.com/RearFacingTheWayForward/

If you do want it, let me know and I'm sure we can arrange a trip to drop it off or something :D

I've had a good Google whilst Master Pooper naps, trapping one of my arms, and loads of people recommend it to fit in the Fiesta, which is awesome. I've looked at pictures and am surprised at how well it seems to fit in tiddlycar.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:24 

markg wrote:
miki wrote:

We have a front facing one because that's pretty much all there seemed to be when we were looking. However from reading up after reading this thread rear-facing is definitely safer. So opinions might vary but the facts really don't, my first thought was what if you get rear-ended but it transpires that most rear end collisions tend to be fairly minor whereas for obvious reasons most (75% I think) of the more serious accidents that cause death or serious injury are head on. But you have to consider other things, we're dealing with fairly low levels of risk anyway and if you pretty much just drive round slower, local roads with occasional trips away then I can't imagine that it's really all that significant.

That all makes total sense in regards to the head-on vs rear-end/dude seriousness, which has kind of sured-up my thinking x

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 16:36 
sneering elitist

Mimi wrote:
Jem wrote:

I've had a good Google whilst Master Pooper naps, trapping one of my arms, and loads of people recommend it to fit in the Fiesta, which is awesome. I've looked at pictures and am surprised at how well it seems to fit in tiddlycar.

How soon do you need it and where do you live? :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 20:59 

Hmm, I think ours goes up to 23lbs, and at last measure he was 21lbs, so I think he's getting there. We're not too far away though (Walsall) and keep saying one day we'll go to Irinbridge for a rude. Is that kind of bear-ish your way? I don't know why I have the impression it is.

Anchorplop with Russet any haha!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 21:10 
Unpossible!

Mimi's been at the gin again

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 21:24 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mimi wrote:
keep saying one day we'll go to Irinbridge for a rude. Is that kind of bear-ish your way? I don't know why I have the impression it is.

I'm going to assume this is dogging talk.

Quote:

And this is just gold.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 21:57 
sneering elitist

Mimi wrote:
Hmm, I think ours goes up to 23lbs, and at last measure he was 21lbs, so I think he's getting there. We're not too far away though (Walsall) and keep saying one day we'll go to Irinbridge for a rude. Is that kind of bear-ish your way? I don't know why I have the impression it is.

Ironbridge is just a few minutes away. :DD Just let me know what you decide :luv: I'll dig the seat out and hoover out any crumbs that might be in it :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:46 

Cras wrote:
Mimi wrote:
keep saying one day we'll go to Irinbridge for a rude. Is that kind of bear-ish your way? I don't know why I have the impression it is.

I'm going to assume this is dogging talk.

Oh no, have I just made 'arrangements'?!

Quote:

Quote:

And this is just gold.

Not a clue. Maybe j could guess, but whijst spoil the magic?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:48 

Jem wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Ironbridge is just a few minutes away. :DD Just let me know what you decide :luv: I'll dig the seat out and hoover out any crumbs that might be in it :)

I think it would be lovely. We could pop over any time one weekend if that would be OK, or if easier we could try for after work, whenever is best for you grues? I think it's under an hour away from hare.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:51 

Google noss says 40 mins with current traffic, so not far. I do t drive, can't drive so Russell will have to do the driving but we will work around you and if we need to sort something rise out he can take an afternoon off or something

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:12 

We're not grues! :P

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:01 
sneering elitist

Either after work or weekend is fine with me - Saturday mornings we do taekwon-do but otherwise are usually around. Not doing anything this weekend if that helps :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:58 

Weekend sounds perfect. Saturday afternoon or Sunday better for you?

You're not a Grue, Gaz. I can't type very well on my phone with one hand as I can't balance it. Also

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 13:07 
sneering elitist

Up to you - on Sunday my mental children will be there so depends whether you want to deal with them too :DD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 18:15 

Haha, mental children sound ace!

In all seriousness, Subday would be ace... I may have got us into a spot of babysitting for Saturday. :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 18:19 
sneering elitist

See you Sunday then :D Will message you our address :luv:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 18:32 

Thank you honey. Let us know what time would be besterest

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]