Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Titanfall Xbox One / 360 / PC + others ?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 13:05 
Hello Hello Hello

Really interesting interview with the head of Bluepoint Games, the studio that did the 360 port.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... -interview

Some seriously clever trickery going on with the elderly 360 hardware to produce a game that's remarkably close to the XBoner version.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 13:49 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Titanfall mythbusters

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 15:15 
8-Bit Champion

https://twitter.com/EA/status/463792200690577408

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 16:10 
8-Bit Champion

DLC trailer

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:41 
Hello Hello Hello

The guy at work who's got this game for his XBoner digs it to pieces, like, any time he gets that isn't required for work or family, he's on his XBone playing this game. He's uploaded a few videos to YouTube of him doing cool stuff and I have to say it does look very appealing.

Origin are still gouging €60 for the fucking thing as a digital download (or €80 for the deluxe edition which includes the season pass), although I do realise there are many cheaper options besides that to get hold of the game.

The thing for me is that I'd need to get a number of my regular gamer chums to get onboard as well, and they're all either still big into BF4 (which is fine) or have got back into WoW again in a big way (the deviant nerds).

And then there's me playing Hearthstone all by myself :metul: (We still all get together for our Saturday BF4 though.)

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:52 
8-Bit Champion

Hearthly wrote:
Origin are still gouging €60 for the fucking thing as a digital download (or €80 for the deluxe edition which includes the season pass), although I do realise there are many cheaper options besides that to get hold of the game.

£25 (or £23 if you like them on facebook) for the basic game

http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/titanfal ... key-origin

There is no DLC available yet so if your unsure I would just get the base game and see if it keeps your attention up , its much more like COD than BF and currently has nowhere near the depth or range of options as the other games but its an entertaining FPS

You will probably get more out of it if you can convince some of your other friends to join in

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:24 
Hello Hello Hello

€35.99 on Origin for the next 48 hours, and whilst I'm no scientist, I make that to be under £30.

I'll text around the chaps and see if I can get any of them to buy in with me :)

Attachment:
tittocheapo.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:37 
Hello Hello Hello

Installing now, fifty fucking gig! No chance I'll clear that much space on my SSD so it'll have to go on the clonky old 500GB hard drive.

The chaps have bought in so looks like we'll get some multiplayer shenanigans going on.

Attachment:
grumble.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:08 
8-Bit Champion

Hearthly wrote:
Installing now, fifty fucking gig! No chance I'll clear that much space on my SSD so it'll have to go on the clonky old 500GB hard drive

And a large chunk of that is uncompressed audio so that it doesnt tax the system very much :-)

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:33 
Hello Hello Hello

zaphod79 wrote:
And a large chunk of that is uncompressed audio so that it doesnt tax the system very much :-)

Yeah my PC really struggles with compressed audio so yay for 40GB of uncompressed audio files, especially the Russian ones :D

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:36 
ugvm'er at heart...

I was vaguely tempted, it's £27 on the uk store. However I'm not going to buy any DLC, so as soon as the first lot comes out, then that will kill off my ability to play online really.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:46 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
I was vaguely tempted, it's £27 on the uk store. However I'm not going to buy any DLC, so as soon as the first lot comes out, then that will kill off my ability to play online really.

UK store? Am I using some stupid European version of Origin then?

The DLC won't necessarily kill the game off online, back in BF3 days one of the chap's sons had the game but only the base game with no DLC, so when he played with us we just stuck to the original maps and modes, and had no problems getting busy games on good servers even right at the arse end of BF3's life cycle.

Anyway I've got buy in from three of our regular Saturday night crew so that's at least four of us who can play together, and I know one of the guys at work already has it too.

The Season Pass will turn up cheap as chips at some point in the future anyway, so we'll probably just snag it then.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 16:17 

The way I read the RPS review (last three paragraphs) you are entirely at the mercy of the matchmaker and won't actually be able to set up games with pals. Which sounds crazy, but that's how it reads to me.

EDIT: Ah, but this thread seems to indicate how to do it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 15:46 
ugvm'er at heart...

Apparently this is "free" on the PC at the moment.
By that they mean there is a 48 hour time limited demo of the full game, on which the clock starts when you first run it.

Might give it a go in that case.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 15:52 
Hello Hello Hello

48 hours is about all the time you'll need with it, TBH.....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 16:31 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Fifty gig! Fuck.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 16:35 
ugvm'er at heart...

Indeed, i'll set it going tonight and it might be ready by the weekend :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 18:36 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

just finished downloading it, Origin is a total pile of shit isn't it, my PC is running slow as fuck as soon as it started up.

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 19:32 
Hello Hello Hello

Slightly Green wrote:
just finished downloading it, Origin is a total pile of shit isn't it, my PC is running slow as fuck as soon as it started up.

I'm no great fan of Origin and it was a dreadful horror show in its beta iterations (despite EA forcing everyone to use it whilst still in beta), but TBH it's been stable and reliable for quite some time now.

It doesn't chew up any system resources on an ongoing basis either, although it will try to auto-patch games and stuff when it's running (same as Steam), so a traditional hard drive (as opposed to an SSD) might make a PC chug whilst it's doing that.

Other than that you probably wouldn't even notice it if you had it set to auto-start with Windows.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 19:33 
8-Bit Champion

Slightly Green wrote:

It does the typical thing of 'oh that 50 gig you just downloaded wasnt the very latest version so now you have to download that and other updates and housekeeping stuff in the background now .....'

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 20:30 
Hello Hello Hello

zaphod79 wrote:
Slightly Green wrote:

It does the typical thing of 'oh that 50 gig you just downloaded wasnt the very latest version so now you have to download that and other updates and housekeeping stuff in the background now .....'

Origin isn't brilliant but it's not terrible either IMO, not as nice to use as Steam but not far off these days either.

Whenever I think Steam/Origin/Whatever are clunking/updating/whatever a little bit I always remember how it took about 35 minutes from turning my XBox 360 on until I could actually play GTAV :D

Same as most fresh installs of stuff, Origin will generally want to do all updates and housekeeping early doors, thereafter Origin is pretty much as good as Steam IMO, it keeps itself up to date, it keeps installed games up to date, it mostly just lives down in the corner with its little tray icon, and it doesn't cause any fuss.

It was much maligned early on and rightly so, but there's nothing significant wrong with it in its present incarnation.

EDIT - The single best upgrade most folks can make to their PC is to fit an SSD, as hard drive bottlenecks are almost always the cause of 'my PC/laptop is running slow' complaints, and SSDs really are so insanely cheap now that there's precious little excuse not to have one.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:42 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

aye, a SSD is the next thing on my list

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:09 
ugvm'er at heart...

Seems as if I missed out on being able to download Titanfall for free. Ah well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:19 
Hello Hello Hello

Slightly Green wrote:
aye, a SSD is the next thing on my list

If you're tight on cash then it's possible to get by with a 128GB. When I bought my SSD the 256GBs were still somewhat on the pricey side (£300+ IIRC) so I went for a 128GB which was under £150, and I'm still using it now. (I should upgrade really but I'm lazy.)

You'll most likely need a data drive in your PC as well for, y'know, data (movies, photos, emulation collections etc, stuff that doesn't benefit from an SSD). All you really need on the SSD is the OS, applications and games. 128GB goes a surprisingly long way if you're careful with it.

Amazingly even stuff like Hearthstone visibly benefits from being on the SSD. I initially installed it on my hard drive because I thought, 'Meh, card game, how the hell does that need to be on an SSD', but when loading it up for the first time, and then when each card was being played for the first time, there'd be a small but definite 'judder' as it loaded that card in, but I got used to it. (Once a card had been played it was in RAM, so there'd be no judder thereafter, but it made the first game of any session quite annoying.)

Then I installed Hearthstone on an old Sony Vaio laptop which is massively less powerful than my PC, (albeit reasonably specced with a Core Duo and mobile Radeon 4650 GPU), but had an oldish Vertex3 SSD in it that I'd bought off a mate for £50 when the Vaio's original hard drive died.

And Hearthstone ran better on the laptop! The card judder annoyance was completely gone, because the data load from the SSD was so massively faster than from the hard drive on my main PC.

I immediately uninstalled Hearthstone from the hard drive on my PC and reinstalled it on the SSD, boom, exactly the same improvement, and it's been there ever since.

This is what prices for the new MX100 look like at Ebuyer at the moment, although if you can find end-of-line M500s for less then by all means go for them. (They're currently more expensive at Ebuyer though.)

One final note about Titanfall I do actually have that installed on my hard drive as I couldn't clear 50GB for the game install on my SSD, but it doesn't make any difference. Because the lobby system is so catastrophically shit and the transition from one game to the next is so remarkably clunky (there are no dedicated servers so it's console-style P2P wanky matchmaking), the loading times from hard drive aren't the bottleneck, the lobby system itself is, so there's no speed advantage to installing to an SSD. (Unlike for example in BF4 where on servers configured with quick start up times, I can be driving off in a vehicle whilst a mate running from hard drive is still staring at the loading screen.)

When it comes to Titanfall you can quite literally go for a piss and refresh your glass of wine between games, so hard drive loading times are the least of its worries.

Attachment:
mx100.JPG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:22 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
Seems as if I missed out on being able to download Titanfall for free. Ah well.

It burns brightly but not for long in my experience, once you get to about Level 25 you've got most of the best unlocks, you'll have settled on a loadout, and then the startling lack of variety in game modes, maps, tactics and, erm, everything else makes itself felt.

Plus it's got performance issues too, amazingly I had to drop down from 2560x1440 to 1920x1080 AND drop down from the top settings, and it still can't hold steady at 60FPS, and this is a game that's visibly a lot uglier than BF3/4.

Finally, you won't realise just how much you miss destructible scenery until you play a game that doesn't have it.

Oh yes, hackers. Lots of them. Yeah I know BF4 has hackers too, but BF4 also has dedicated servers with vigilant admins, PB streaming and so on.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:37 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

made it to level 3 with my 1st game, the other lev 1's I was paired up against were awful. Next game went a little harder. Nice looking game but think I may be getting to old for twitch games like this, was finding it annoyingly fast, but guess that will be lessened by playing more and getting used to the keys/hud.

Pretty game but the wall running guff is crap compared to mirrors edge. Will give it another go later.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:58 
8-Bit Champion

Slightly Green wrote:
made it to level 3 with my 1st game, the other lev 1's I was paired up against were awful. Next game went a little harder. Nice looking game but think I may be getting to old for twitch games like this, was finding it annoyingly fast, but guess that will be lessened by playing more and getting used to the keys/hud.

Pretty game but the wall running guff is crap compared to mirrors edge. Will give it another go later.

There are some interesting mechanics with your loadout but as mentioned above by about level 25 or so you've unlocked them all so its a slog to the prestige point , the burn cards are a nice idea to try and add that variety back but they just dont seem to do enough.

And the wallrunning / wallhanging does get better later (and with a bit more practice) but its never going to hit Mirrors Edge levels

For the 'twitch' point you can plug in a 360 controller and it maps the controls to be very COD like (and has a slight auto aim in place) so if you've played console shooters recently that might feel more natural to you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:19 
8-Bit Champion

Titanfall 2 will be multi platform

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-tea ... 0-6425193/

Quote:
EA Teases Titanfall 2 Won't Be Xbox-Exclusive
The unannounced game will have a "bigger footprint than just a single platform," EA CFO Blake Jorgensen says.

During Monday's 2015 Technology, Internet & Media Conference, Electronic Arts CFO Blake Jorgensen spoke about the next Titanfall game.

While it remains officially unannounced, something Jorgensen specifically mentioned, he did say that EA and developer Respawn Entertainment will "probably have another Titanfall game" and--as suspected--it could come to PlayStation 4.

"Last year it was on the Xbox only; in the future, we haven't yet announced, but we'll probably have another Titanfall game. It will probably be a bigger footprint than just a single platform. I think that's a huge positive for us."

The original Titanfall launched exclusively for Xbox consoles and PC in March 2014. It has long been rumored that the sequel, which was reportedly greenlit back in March 2014, would be a multiplatform game.

Also during the call, Jorgensen laid out EA's long-term vision for first-person shooter games, saying the publisher hopes to deliver at least one new FPS every year. This year it will be Battlefield Hardline and Star Wars: Battlefront. Next year it will be Battlefield 5, or whatever EA decides to call the game. Beyond that, it could be Titanfall 2, he suggested.

Finally, during the presentation Jorgensen spoke about the sales pace of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. He said around 30 million combined consoles have been sold to date, adding that strong holiday sales helped push the figure north. It's unclear how, specifically, this figure breaks down between PS4 and Xbox One, though PS4 appears to be leading the way with more than 18.5 million units sold.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:22 
UltraMod

OMG WAT A SURPROIZE

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:24 
Bad Girl

I played this the other day by the way. When you've had Jetpacks in AW the parkour and double jumps no longer seems revolutionary. It actually felt a bit slow in comparison.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:24 
UltraMod

Quote:
"Last year it was on the Xbox only; in the future, we haven't yet announced, but we'll probably have another Titanfall game. It will probably be a bigger footprint than just a single platform..."

Quote:
The original Titanfall launched exclusively for Xbox consoles and PC in March 2014.

Err.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:34 
SavyGamer

The developer has already said that Titanfall 2 will be on PS4.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:40 
8-Bit Champion

Saturnalian wrote:
I played this the other day by the way. When you've had Jetpacks in AW the parkour and double jumps no longer seems revolutionary. It actually felt a bit slow in comparison.

The two parts that are different for Titanfall are the wall running / wall hanging (which is very cool)

And then the Titans themselves are so much better than even your Goliath in AW

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:45 
Bad Girl

I intensely dislike the Goliath so I wasn't exactly spaffing my load at everyone having a big hulking machine to knock about in. Machines that, largely, just stand in front of each other blasting away. It's a bit more nuanced than that, I'm sure, since I didn't play that many games but the Titans were the least fun thing about it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:07 
SavyGamer

I've not played COD:AW, are the levels of the same scale as Titanfall? I particularly liked the big wide open levels, and multi-story buildings with multiple points of entry, which COD has always had a little bit of, but not as much as Titanfall.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:11 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I like Titanfall. It's alot of fun.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:19 
Hello Hello Hello

Titanfall is a great game, it never managed to gain enough traction with our group to usurp BF3/4 from the Saturday night slot, but I had a lot of fun with it

If it's going cheap I'd deffo recommend anyone to give it a go.

The only real shitter was the lack of dedicated servers which made matchmaking a bit crap and the multiplayer as a whole a bit clunkier than it needed to be.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:22 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I paid £9.99 off the Xbox dashboard and it came with the season pass so yeah... That's good value in my eyes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:25 
SavyGamer

I think not having a PS4 version, and not being on Steam on PC, has certainly harmed it's online community.

Loads of people still play Destiny on PS4, and Titanfall is a far better game.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 16:44 
Unpossible!

TheVision wrote:

Microsoft Praisebot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 20:34 
UltraMod

DavPaz wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Microsoft Praisebot

He's worse than Major Nelson.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 21:21 
8-Bit Champion

Season pass free for Xbox 360 / Xbox One / PC

http://www.titanfall.com/news/happy-ann ... 36877308=1

Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4