Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Titanfall Xbox One / 360 / PC + others ?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 17:00 
Paws for thought

British Nervoso wrote:
lasermink wrote:
Windows 8.1. It's alright, really.

Much like the Xbox One, they've released something demonstrably worse than its predecessor - only 12 months later is it anywhere near as good and feature-rich.

What Is happening at Microsoft?

I wouldn't say it's demonstrably worse. My laptop would make a shit laptop on W7. Despite being able to, I didn't replace 8 with 7 when reinstalling onto a new hard drive on my desktop because, frankly, its flaws are massively overstated.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 17:11 
Excellent Member

markg wrote:
In what way? It's only been out a few months so obviously has fewer games. It's loads better in every other way I can think of, though.

For media player duties the PS3 is still miles better than either of the new consoles:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... dia-player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 23:46 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Bamba wrote:
In case you're interested though BootCamp is an application made by Apple that allows people with Apple machines to run Windows on the same machine. It essentially walls off a section of your hard drive so you've got a certain amount of space for your Apple stuff and another amount for your Windows stuff dependant on what you specify. As your PC is a pure Windows machine you don't need to worry about any of this.

The other part of that post is referring to the fact that zaphod's plugged an external hard drive into his machine to supplement the amount of space he's got on there by default. It's exactly like plugging a huge USB drive into it and the external drive will appear under My Computer as a separate item that files can be copied onto/off of just like with a USB stick. zaphod's then told Origin (which is EAs digital distribution platform so their version of Steam; a way to buy and download games published by EA specifically unlike Steam which covers all publishers/developers) to install games onto the external drive rather than the 'default' internal drive. Some applications are okay with that whereas some of them expect to be installed on the default drive and will complain or act oddly otherwise so it remains to be seen whether Origin will accept this state of affairs or be a dick about it.

And the answer is it was fine :

Attachment:
IMG_1399.JPG

Someone a few weeks ago was asking about mouse n keyboard vs pad for shooters - i still play with a 360 pad and for my first few games :

Attachment:
IMG_1400.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_1401.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 21:21 
Paws for thought

According to the man what done sold me Dark Souls II, This is shit.

Most reliable review source ever.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:07 
Hello Hello Hello

Interesting face-off at Eurogamer here - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... n-face-off

Seems the Xboner runs the game at 792p, targets 60FPS but routinely falls way short of it, and tears like a bastard. Graphics are 'pretty good' but far short of something like BF4.

PC version fares better as you'd imagine but even then you have to go pretty high-end to sustain 1080@60 which points towards a bit of a sub-optimal engine since it's a rebuild of Source.

Also an interesting note about that ridiculous install size with 35GB of uncompressed audio:

Quote:
Respawn's explanation of accommodating dual-core CPU users might make more sense if we'd heard of any other game using this technique, or if MP3 decoding wasn't as cheap as it is (for reference, a single PS3 SPU can decode 300 MP3s simultaneously). Practically, while 35GB may not sound like much of a big deal in an era where a 1TB drive is almost £40, it is a clear concern for gamers who use SSDs instead, where the gig allocation is much more of an issue.

Overall I'd say that whilst I do like the look of this game (TotalBiscuit's video makes it look very entertaining) it's probably a no-sale for me for now. It currently costs a rather offensive €60 on Origin, I don't have that much space free on my SSD, and stories abound of hackers on the PC version - on top of that me and the guys are still having an absolute blast with BF4 (last night's session was awesome) so I simply don't have an itch that Titanfall might scratch.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:56 
8-Bit Champion

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
It currently costs a rather offensive €60 on Origin,

Before launch you could buy it from various locations for about £25 / 26 , after launch those all went up to around £30 - but i'd expect that to drop back down.

As an example

http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/titanfal ... key-origin

£29.45 and you'll get £1.50 off for liking them on facebook which knocks it down to £28

You can also exploit Origins crap regional pricing structure to get it for about £20 from Origin's Mexico store (set your country there - buy it via paypal and then switch back) - they have not banned anyone for exploiting this in the past but they could do that tomorrow so I wouldn't

I don't have that much space free on my SSD,

Not an SSD issue but i do only have a limited amount of space on my PC (bootcamp) so installed it to an external drive and it runs fine from there.

and stories abound of hackers on the PC version - on top of that me and the guys are still having an absolute blast with BF4 (last night's session was awesome) so I simply don't have an itch that Titanfall might scratch.

I've seen posts about hackers but not encountered any yet - the fact that BF is scratching your FPS itch is probably more relevant because you'll probably find this cheap in a few months and unlike BF which makes it hard to join in 'later' the first guns in this are just as able to take down other players and titans as anything else so you could probably pick it up and still have fun in 3 / 6 months

I've put maybe 3 or 4 hours in and i'm level 25- I've not encountered a prestiged person yet (but have seen screenshots of them) - i wonder if they are mainly on the US servers (also quite possible thats where more of the hackers are)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 19:23 

Yeah, I'm not dropping 60 euro on this, fun as it sounds, and it does reek of shoddy coding and last minute panic decisions.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:03 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Overheard some guys talking about this in a shop yesterday, one was complaining that its just giant robots fighting other giant robots. I personally don't see his problem and will continue to look forward to fighting giant robots with other giant robots.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 14:50 
8-Bit Champion

The Xbox360 version that has not been shown to the press or the public yet has been delayed another 2 weeks

http://kotaku.com/titanfall-for-the-xbo ... 1547063509

Quote:
Titanfall For The Xbox 360 Pushed Back Two Weeks

Originally scheduled for release next week, the Xbox 360 version of Respawn Entertainment's mech shooter has been pushed back to April 8 (April 11 in Europe) to give port developer Bluepoint Games time to make it better.

The Titanfall 360 delay news comes from a post on EA.com from EA Studios executive vice president Patrick Söderlund, who says the game is fantastic, but not quite fantastic enough.

Now, I want to update everyone on Titanfall for Xbox 360 in development with Bluepoint Games. I've been playing the game a lot, and it is fantastic. But we see a few things that can be made even better, so we're giving Bluepoint a little more time to do just that and deliver an epic Titanfall experience for Xbox 360 players. Titanfall for Xbox 360 will now be releasing on April 8 in North America, and beginning on April 11 in Europe. The game will feature the same 6v6 gameplay, maps, modes, weapons and Burn Cards as the Xbox One and PC versions of the game.

Whatever the problems might be, they can't be too bad if they'll only take two weeks to fix. Xbox 360 gamers eagerly awaiting Titanfall's release can rest assured they'll receive a completely flawless product come April 8. There is so much confidence being bred here right now

So either its going to be a train wreck and they are trying to cover it up
Or
Its almost the exact same as the Xbox one version and they are stalling it because they want more Xbox one sales from it
Or
Somewhere in between :-)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 14:56 
Bad Girl

Funnily enough, when I went that gaming show thing it was thought that we were playing the 360 version. I'm a bit hazy now but I'm sure someone asked or saw the 360's...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 15:05 
8-Bit Champion

Saturnalian wrote:
Funnily enough, when I went that gaming show thing it was thought that we were playing the 360 version. I'm a bit hazy now but I'm sure someone asked or saw the 360's...

I think all of the shows last year were using the PC build but with 360 controllers (which might explain why you thought it was the 360).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 15:06 
Bad Girl

I remember what it was! We were playing with 360 pads whereas the XBONE games had XBONE pads!

Anyway, if it was the 360 version it looked bloody good for a 360 game.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 15:07 
Bad Girl

zaphod79 wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

I think all of the shows last year were using the PC build but with 360 controllers (which might explain why you thought it was the 360).

Or this. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:36 
8-Bit Champion

Titanfall anti cheating scheme revealed

http://www.titanfall.com/news/we-hate-c ... -as-you-do

Quote:
Titanfall's Anticheat Is Now Being Enforced

Titanfall uses FairFight to detect cheaters on PC. Since the launch of Titanfall, we've been collecting data on people who are cheating on PC but not immediately enforcing bans. As of Friday, March 21st, that has changed and we have started banning cheaters in Titanfall.

We will be continuing to tweak the algorithm over time to catch more cheaters.

FAQ:
Q.) How do I know if I’m banned?
A.) Here’s what you’d see at the Private Lobby screen:
If you don't see that, then you aren't banned.

Q.) So what happens if I get banned?
A.) Great news: you get to keep playing Titanfall! Less-great news: you only get to play with other cheaters. You can play with other banned players in something that will resemble the Wimbledon of aimbot contests. Hopefully the aimbot cheat you paid for really is the best, or these all-cheater matches could be frustrating for you. Good luck.

Q.) If I’m banned, what happens if I make a party with my non-cheater friends?
A.) When anyone in your party is banned, then everyone in your party will be treated as banned for that play session. If you are a non-cheater and you invite a cheater friend into a party, you will be stuck playing against cheaters. If you stop inviting your cheater friend, you will once again get to play with the non-cheater population. You do not get permanently tainted just by playing with a cheater - you are only banned for cheating if you are actually cheating.

Q.) How do I get unbanned?
A.) You can contact [email protected] if you think you've been banned unfairly.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:46 
Bad Girl

Brilliant. What a fab idea.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:49 
UltraMod

Saturnalian wrote:

It's not new. Rockstar did it with both Max Payne 3 and GTA Online.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:49 
Sleepyhead

If they have that working well, then that's awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:45 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

British Nervoso wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

It's also called Hellbanning (it's a teensy bit different, but the main principal is the same), and it's been around for donkeys. I thought I'd invented it when I did it for my LSav2 forum.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:49 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Grim... wrote:
I thought I'd invented it when I did it for my LSav2 forum.

Jeff Atwood wrote:
Per this amazing MetaFilter discussion, it turns out the roots of hellbanning go much deeper – all the way back to an early Telnet BBS system called Citadel, where the "problem user bit" was introduced around 1986. Like so many other things in social software, it keeps getting reinvented over and over again by clueless software developers who believe they're the first programmer smart enough to figure out how people work.

:(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:51 
Paws for thought

Grim... wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

It's also called Hellbanning (it's a teensy bit different, but the main principal is the same), and it's been around for donkeys. I thought I'd invented it when I did it for my LSav2 forum.

So that would explain why I could only talk to Mr Chris. And Krung!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 13:17 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Nah, that was a gypsy curse.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 13:23 
8-Bit Champion

https://twitter.com/Titanfallgame/statu ... 36/photo/1

Horrible Achievements in the Xbox One version - to get it you have to prestige before the end of today.

(Zero points so you can still get 1000 for the game but this achievement will be locked out to everyone after today)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 20:04 
8-Bit Champion

One of IGN's April fools videos - 'special' DLC for Titanfall

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2014/04/01/tit ... lc-trailer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:27 
8-Bit Champion

360 gameplay :

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 16:31 
8-Bit Champion

Another 360 video - this is a full game of Attrition and looks good !

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 16:51 
Bad Girl

Are there any rumblings over the difference in quality between this and the other two versions? This looks good (and fast) but it's hard to tell on the youtubes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 17:08 
8-Bit Champion

Saturnalian wrote:
Are there any rumblings over the difference in quality between this and the other two versions? This looks good (and fast) but it's hard to tell on the youtubes.

This is mostly speculation but the main detractors are :

Lower frame rate (more like 30FPS)
Lower number of AI active on the map (in the first video some of the ground areas look quite sparse compared to what you see on PC or Xbox One)
'Blurrier' textures (although actually they look quite acceptable to me).

Launch is due for tomorrow (?) so we should fine out more then

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 17:24 
8-Bit Champion

Digital Foundry writeup on the 360 version

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... e-analysis

Quote:
There are times when the game feels uncannily close to the Xbox One version (especially during the less taxing training session) and across the entirety of the clips measured above, we end up with a 46.5fps average - not bad at all. However, different levels exert varying degrees of stress upon the engine, and as you can see from the analysis, performance is variable, perhaps explaining the "above 30fps" marketing. That said, frame-rate does creep below on rare occasions (similar to Xbox One, we can see the odd freeze - a small clutch of duplicate frames) but there's nothing game-breaking.

In summary, after a day with the Xbox 360 game, the big takeaway here is that this is Titanfall, and it does appear to be feature-complete on the older console. With just one tenth of the available RAM and far less capable silicon, it's safe to say that Bluepoint Games has more than exceeded expectations.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:30 
8-Bit Champion

Comparison video 360 / Xbox One / PC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:44 
Bad Girl

Bloody hell, the 360 version looks terrific. No wonder they were keeping it back; the next gen looks barely a step up.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 13:05 
Hello Hello Hello

Really interesting interview with the head of Bluepoint Games, the studio that did the 360 port.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... -interview

Some seriously clever trickery going on with the elderly 360 hardware to produce a game that's remarkably close to the XBoner version.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 13:49 
8-Bit Champion

Titanfall mythbusters

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 15:15 
8-Bit Champion

https://twitter.com/EA/status/463792200690577408

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 16:10 
8-Bit Champion

DLC trailer

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:41 
Hello Hello Hello

The guy at work who's got this game for his XBoner digs it to pieces, like, any time he gets that isn't required for work or family, he's on his XBone playing this game. He's uploaded a few videos to YouTube of him doing cool stuff and I have to say it does look very appealing.

Origin are still gouging €60 for the fucking thing as a digital download (or €80 for the deluxe edition which includes the season pass), although I do realise there are many cheaper options besides that to get hold of the game.

The thing for me is that I'd need to get a number of my regular gamer chums to get onboard as well, and they're all either still big into BF4 (which is fine) or have got back into WoW again in a big way (the deviant nerds).

And then there's me playing Hearthstone all by myself :metul: (We still all get together for our Saturday BF4 though.)

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:52 
8-Bit Champion

Hearthly wrote:
Origin are still gouging €60 for the fucking thing as a digital download (or €80 for the deluxe edition which includes the season pass), although I do realise there are many cheaper options besides that to get hold of the game.

£25 (or £23 if you like them on facebook) for the basic game

http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/titanfal ... key-origin

There is no DLC available yet so if your unsure I would just get the base game and see if it keeps your attention up , its much more like COD than BF and currently has nowhere near the depth or range of options as the other games but its an entertaining FPS

You will probably get more out of it if you can convince some of your other friends to join in

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:24 
Hello Hello Hello

€35.99 on Origin for the next 48 hours, and whilst I'm no scientist, I make that to be under £30.

I'll text around the chaps and see if I can get any of them to buy in with me :)

Attachment:
tittocheapo.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:37 
Hello Hello Hello

Installing now, fifty fucking gig! No chance I'll clear that much space on my SSD so it'll have to go on the clonky old 500GB hard drive.

The chaps have bought in so looks like we'll get some multiplayer shenanigans going on.

Attachment:
grumble.JPG

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:08 
8-Bit Champion

Hearthly wrote:
Installing now, fifty fucking gig! No chance I'll clear that much space on my SSD so it'll have to go on the clonky old 500GB hard drive

And a large chunk of that is uncompressed audio so that it doesnt tax the system very much :-)

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:33 
Hello Hello Hello

zaphod79 wrote:
And a large chunk of that is uncompressed audio so that it doesnt tax the system very much :-)

Yeah my PC really struggles with compressed audio so yay for 40GB of uncompressed audio files, especially the Russian ones :D

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:36 
ugvm'er at heart...

I was vaguely tempted, it's £27 on the uk store. However I'm not going to buy any DLC, so as soon as the first lot comes out, then that will kill off my ability to play online really.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:46 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
I was vaguely tempted, it's £27 on the uk store. However I'm not going to buy any DLC, so as soon as the first lot comes out, then that will kill off my ability to play online really.

UK store? Am I using some stupid European version of Origin then?

The DLC won't necessarily kill the game off online, back in BF3 days one of the chap's sons had the game but only the base game with no DLC, so when he played with us we just stuck to the original maps and modes, and had no problems getting busy games on good servers even right at the arse end of BF3's life cycle.

Anyway I've got buy in from three of our regular Saturday night crew so that's at least four of us who can play together, and I know one of the guys at work already has it too.

The Season Pass will turn up cheap as chips at some point in the future anyway, so we'll probably just snag it then.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 16:17 

The way I read the RPS review (last three paragraphs) you are entirely at the mercy of the matchmaker and won't actually be able to set up games with pals. Which sounds crazy, but that's how it reads to me.

EDIT: Ah, but this thread seems to indicate how to do it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 15:46 
ugvm'er at heart...

Apparently this is "free" on the PC at the moment.
By that they mean there is a 48 hour time limited demo of the full game, on which the clock starts when you first run it.

Might give it a go in that case.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 15:52 
Hello Hello Hello

48 hours is about all the time you'll need with it, TBH.....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 16:31 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Fifty gig! Fuck.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 16:35 
ugvm'er at heart...

Indeed, i'll set it going tonight and it might be ready by the weekend :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 18:36 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

just finished downloading it, Origin is a total pile of shit isn't it, my PC is running slow as fuck as soon as it started up.

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 19:32 
Hello Hello Hello

Slightly Green wrote:
just finished downloading it, Origin is a total pile of shit isn't it, my PC is running slow as fuck as soon as it started up.

I'm no great fan of Origin and it was a dreadful horror show in its beta iterations (despite EA forcing everyone to use it whilst still in beta), but TBH it's been stable and reliable for quite some time now.

It doesn't chew up any system resources on an ongoing basis either, although it will try to auto-patch games and stuff when it's running (same as Steam), so a traditional hard drive (as opposed to an SSD) might make a PC chug whilst it's doing that.

Other than that you probably wouldn't even notice it if you had it set to auto-start with Windows.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 19:33 
8-Bit Champion

Slightly Green wrote:

It does the typical thing of 'oh that 50 gig you just downloaded wasnt the very latest version so now you have to download that and other updates and housekeeping stuff in the background now .....'

Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next