All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 428 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Amazon Prime
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Oh yeah! So I got two of them, and they are indeed stuck to the products in the list on the page.

:DD

Well, until I suggest to them not to be ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:16 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

It would be good to have one of these for batteries. The rate I get through them with my controllers and the kid's toys is astonishing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:42 
Hello Hello Hello

Just buy decent alkalines in bulk from somewhere like battery-force.co.uk and then use a Rezap to recharge them.

We used to pile through batteries at an obscene rate until we moved to that model.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 16:01 
Excellent Member

Quote:
It would be good to have one of these for batteries. The rate I get through them with my controllers and the kid's toys is astonishing.

I used to have 100 AA and AAA batteries that I bought in Maplin's for £14 a box ( they were 50% off but they do them for this price all the time) They never really appeared to be getting used that quickly.

Until my son got into Tomy Tomica Thomas the Tank Engine. Every train now takes 1 AA or 2 AAA. He leaves them on all the time and I find them in the hall just running up against the skirting board :)

I'm cracking through them now, he also insists I change batteries on trains just as they aren't running as fast as he would like as well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 16:01 
Excellent Member

Quote:

I used to have 100 AA and AAA batteries that I bought in Maplin's for £14 a box ( they were 50% off but they do them for this price all the time) They never really appeared to be getting used that quickly.

Until my son got into Tomy Tomica Thomas the Tank Engine. Every train now takes 1 AA or 2 AAA. He leaves them on all the time and I find them in the hall just running up against the skirting board :)

I'm cracking through them now, he also insists I change batteries on trains just as they aren't running as fast as he would like as well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 16:13 
Gogmagog

Denying the existence of batteries means annoying toys have a finite lifespan. I am fairly sure Tinder is unaware what fuels noise.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 16:36 
Excellent Member

Quote:
Denying the existence of batteries means annoying toys have a finite lifespan.

Problem is with the trains he has is that he knows everyone of them takes a battery, also the 100 of each is on clear display in my PC room.

Also if I'm honest I get as much enjoyment out of building his tracks and watching ever more battery consuming trains go round them as he does :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 17:04 

So, Grim... How full of condoms and play-doh is your house right now?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 17:52 
Paws for thought

Mimi wrote:
So, Grim... How full of confirms and play-doh is your house right now?

He's got so many confirms you wouldn't believe it.

Popular man, our Grim...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 22:53 
Prince of Fops

Hearthly wrote:
Just buy decent alkalines in bulk from somewhere like battery-force.co.uk and then use a Rezap to recharge them.

We used to pile through batteries at an obscene rate until we moved to that model.

Rezap pro costs £100 doesn't it? That's a fuckload of batteries.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 23:21 

Just buy rechargeable NiMHs, you weirdos. Eneloops are £15 for a pack of eight.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 23:36 
Hello Hello Hello

Findus Fop wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

Rezap pro costs £100 doesn't it? That's a fuckload of batteries.

We bought ours about ten years ago, little bugger's still going strong, IIRC it cost about £30-£40 or thereabouts.

It'll generally get three decent recharges out of alkalines before they have to go in the bin, works really well with basic AA alkalines from batteryforce which you can get 200 of for about £40.

No doubt it's paid for itself many times over by now.

Ours looks like this but with a UK plug although I can't remember us ever having the splendid looking plastic condom thingies which I'd probably only have tried to have relations with anyway so perhaps that's for the best.

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Yes we did try these but they didn't seem to do very well with our usage cycles, plus we often need to have 40+ AAs deployed at any given time to fuel the entire army of FurReals that need powering, at which point £15 for eight starts to look very expensive.

EDIT TO ADD - That's just the AAs, we also have fucktons of AAAs and Cs deployed at any given time, all of which can be recharged through a single Rezap unit on a sensible schedule. Oh yes and it'll do those 9V ones as well, which a few of the toys require.

Attachment:
zappo.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:10 

Hearthly wrote:

It'll generally get three decent recharges out of alkalines before they have to go in the bin, works really well with basic AA alkalines from batteryforce which you can get 200 of for about £40.

So that's around 7p per battery per charge cycle.

Quote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Yes we did try these but they didn't seem to do very well with our usage cycles, plus we often need to have 40+ AAs deployed at any given time to fuel the entire army of FurReals that need powering, at which point £15 for eight starts to look very expensive.
Eneloops and all the other low-self-discharge NiMHs (which are all basically the same) are good for 1500-2000 charge cycles. So that's 0.1p per battery per charge cycle, or seventy times cheaper than you're paying for alkalines.

Quote:
EDIT TO ADD - That's just the AAs, we also have fucktons of AAAs and Cs deployed at any given time, all of which can be recharged through a single Rezap unit on a sensible schedule. Oh yes and it'll do those 9V ones as well, which a few of the toys require.
You can get NiMH AAAs, and a plastic shim that adapts the AA up to a C. 9v you'd have to still buy alkaline, admittedly, but that's not a reason to keep throwing money away on the others, or to advise others to do the same.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:51 
Hello Hello Hello

So over a decade we've had hundreds of recharge cycles, at an average of considerably more than 7p per cycle, so I'd say it's recouped its purchase cost. (Cs and 9v cost more than AAs or course, AAAs about the same, and we've had some Ds over the years as well.) Also, in the early days we were buying batteries at normal shop prices, it's only in the last five years or so we've moved to the bulk (and much cheaper) online purchases. So 7p per cycle will be very much on the low side.

I'm sure 'proper' rechargeables would work out cheaper in many scenarios, but when you've got something in the region of 100 batteries distributed across the house at any given time, the upfront costs would be huge. (And that's just for Jnr's toy estate, before you even consider all the other things we use the batteries for, such as XBox controllers, remote controls, rampant rabbits etc.)

As such, overall, I'm happy with our battery usage solution. Unless you're seriously suggesting I go out and buy 100+ NiMH batteries today along with a suitable charger?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:55 
Gogmagog

Build a time machine.
Travel back in time.
Deny existence of batteries.
Have toy funerals.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:15 
Master of dodgy spelling....

i did not think you could recharge non rechargeable batteries.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:22 

Hearthly wrote:
Unless you're seriously suggesting I go out and buy 100+ NiMH batteries today along with a suitable charger?

Well, it depends how much you like saving money in the long run, doesn't it? And if you really are getting through as many batteries as you say, "the long run" will be a month or so.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:35 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

KovacsC wrote:

It's pretty much only guidance, as opposed to a do-not-do. Similar to how it is suggested that you shouldn't inject street-cut heroin.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:53 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

I have some of those as well, I find that they discharge quickly if not used, so are flat again when needed.

I just make sure I turn off his trains and cars once he is not playing with them.

Quote:
but when you've got something in the region of 100 batteries distributed across the house at any given time, the upfront costs would be huge

That's a lot of batteries, reckon I have about 12 used in trains a lot, then the odd few toys that are not heavily used that maybe count for another 8-10

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:56 
Paws for thought

KovacsC wrote:

You can, but they're not particulary designed for it, so the results are perhaps less good. Easiier to put this here than explain any more.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rechargin ... _batteries

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:31 
Hello Hello Hello

Mr Dave wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

You can, but they're not particulary designed for it, so the results are perhaps less good. Easiier to put this here than explain any more.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rechargin ... _batteries

Yes it's not perfect and there are a few caveats. For starters if the battery is completely flat there's basically nothing the Rezap can do with it, so you need to recharge it whilst there's still charge in it. Generally speaking the first sign of a toy slowing down, or as soon as I get the cross-hatch flashy lights on the XBox Controller, or the rampant rabbit isn't quite buzzing at max ferocity - get the batteries out and into the Rezap.

(We keep a stash of charged batteries of every size, so there are always hot-swap batteries available.)

Sticking to that model we generally get three decent recharges out of a standard alkaline, thereafter it's very much a case of diminishing returns so at that point the battery will usually get chucked. (Unless it's going into something that doesn't need much juice, like a remote control or a clock.)

We have had NiMH batteries in the past and I found that they didn't hold their charge well over time at all, although apparently they're supposed to be 'low discharge' these days, I can't really comment on that as I haven't tried NiMHs for years.

In our scenario a FurReal or other animal might not get used for weeks, but it needs to work whenever Jnr wants it, and I've found that alkalines (fresh or recharged) seem to hold their charge indefinitely, whereas in the past at least, the NiMHs didn't.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:38 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

You use normal batteries for you XBox controller?!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:39 

The Eneloop-style low-self-discharge NiMH batteries are much improved over older ones. They hold a charge for months.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:44 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:
You use normal batteries for you XBox controller?!

A recharged alkaline is a special battery, not normal at all :metul:

I know there are those rechargeable battery packs for XBox Controllers but I've never bothered with them, since we always have so many AAs knocking about the place anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:01 
sneering elitist

MaliA wrote:
Denying the existence of batteries means annoying toys have a finite lifespan. I am fairly sure Tinder is unaware what fuels noise.

I go one better and never buy toys that require batteries.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:09 
Hello Hello Hello

:hat:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:16 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
The Eneloop-style low-self-discharge NiMH batteries are much improved over older ones. They hold a charge for months.

Ok might take a look at them, the ones I have now I bought when the WII was a newish console for all the controllers, they came from Maplin as well!

Also thinking if my son has to wait for a recharge then that might be something I can use to have him turn his toys off when not in use!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:17 
Excellent Member

Jem wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Before he got into these trains I used to try and do that, but you can't control gifts from other people.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:22 

Jem wrote:
MaliA wrote:

How do you go about friends and families buying toys that require batteries? Do you clue them in to the no battery rule?

I'm not fussed by the noisy toys. The little'un seems to get a kick out of pressing a button three thousand times in a day, and the smiles make everything else not matter, for me. I do have a friend who can't abide anything that plays music or noises, and she has come in, taken his toys out of his hands, as he's playing, and switched them off. I cannot abide that, and though I bit my tongue most of the time, when she replied to a picture of all baby's new Toottoot animals saying she'd turn them all off when she visited I replied with something along the lines of 'oh, I hope not! They are baby's favourite and he'd not thank you for it and would be rather upset at having his play silenced'. I started to dread the visits for a while as I'd find it quite upsetting and found it difficult to assert myself and my little boy's enjoyment in my own home.

Just realised that post went off on a bit of a tangent.

Though if I could get one of those buttons for a different toot toot animal each press we'd likely be bankrupt by now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:25 

Toot tooooot!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:27 
Soopah red DS

Cor, look at all those! If I came round I'd turn them all o... no wait, how would I dare do that in someone else's house! Cute faces - except for the perhaps demonic blue cow (?) nearest the camera.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:37 

That's a donkey. He was the first toot toot animal, bought by one of Russell's work mates for Christmas. The rest I bought as a job lot on eBay with some play sets.

I love them. They each have about 30-40 songs and phrases. There are little sensor points under eat, and at certain points on tge okay sets, tracks etc it will trigger a phrase (so, on a swing the cow might say 'wheeeee!' Or the elephant might say 'I love to swing up high' or whatever is specific to that animal.

Obviously I bought them so I could play with them, really

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:10 
Excellent Member

I didn't know you could get toot toot animals? I have some track and cars

Find that the batteries on these are quite good as most of them don't move on their own, they just say phrases when pushed around the track.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:18 

Yes, the animals are great! However, I believe the tracks between animals and vehicles are not compatible.

I think the animals seem to be far more available and varied than the vehicles. There are 'people' playsets, too (hospitals, schools, etc) and figures to suit.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 14:00 
sneering elitist

Mimi wrote:
Jem wrote:
MaliA wrote:

How do you go about friends and families buying toys that require batteries? Do you clue them in to the no battery rule?

I used to ask for no noisy toys but people bought them just to piss me off :DD so I didn't mention it again, and now just wait for the batteries to die and then never replace them.

We have toys that make noise (musical instruments etc) I just hate plasticy tinny electronic noises.

TBF it's a non-issue these days. The kids are into stuff that isn't necessarily noise oriented any more. Thank fuck.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 14:04 

Jem wrote:
The kids are into stuff that isn't necessarily noise oriented any more. Thank fuck.

Yes, but is mime artistry really a good career aspiration?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 14:04 
sneering elitist

Kern wrote:
Jem wrote:
The kids are into stuff that isn't necessarily noise oriented any more. Thank fuck.

Yes, but is mime artistry really a good career aspiration?

:DD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 14:38 

I'd like to get a toy rainbow xylophone/glockenspiel for D's birthday, but ice really struggled to find a nice one. I think I'd ideally like a wooden one, though I'm sure a nice one would be pricey.

One of the kids either upstairs or next door seems to have acquired a recorder today, perhaps for the new school year. That's definitely more offensive than Toot Toot elephant could ever be :D

I'm sure it will be much better when they learn a second note.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 14:45 
sneering elitist

There's some lovely wooden instruments on http://www.myriadonline.co.uk/ but yes, pricey as heck.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 15:02 

Is that where your rainbow is from? I saw it in your windowsill and was admiring it then. Yes, very beautiful pieces, very pricey though :(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 16:15 
Best
Board Mother

Mimi wrote:
I'd like to get a toy rainbow xylophone/glockenspiel for D's birthday, but ice really struggled to find a nice one. I think I'd ideally like a wooden one, though I'm sure a nice one would be pricey.

One of the kids either upstairs or next door seems to have acquired a recorder today, perhaps for the new school year. That's definitely more offensive than Toot Toot elephant could ever be :D

I'm sure it will be much better when they learn a second note.

I LOVE noise toys! We bought Chloe's little brother some trucks that made loads of different noises for Christmas, I had to move them and wrap them up in the end as we might have ended up either keeping them or flattening the batteries! :D

Meems, I have a xylophone board book that Chloe no longer uses if you want it to see if Darwin is interested before buying something nicer? It has nursery rhymes in it that you can play with the xylophone attached to the bottom, I'll pop it with his birthday presents. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 18:21 

The xylophone book sounds ace, Jazzy, thank you so, so much. That would be aces. Of course I will be the one actually playing it most of the time. Darwin likes noises and banging stuff into stuff, so it's pretty much bound to be a success. He doesn't need anything else for his birthday though, so please don't spend your money :( I've not got him anything other than his toot toot animals, and he'll be getting those over the course of the next two years or so. The book would be smashing, though, and has really cheered me up. I've been feeling a bit down with human beings in general, so that's cheered me up just st the moment when there's no hot water for a warm bath and I've pulled a muscle in my back and I'm feeling pretty teary and fed up with everything. Just remembered I have a scone, too, so maybe ok.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 18:28 

Just ate my scone. It did help.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 18:31 
ugvm'er at heart...

You had one, but now it scone.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 18:48 
Best
Board Mother

Mimi wrote:
The xylophone book sounds ace, Jazzy, thank you so, so much. That would be aces. Of course I will be the one actually playing it most of the time. Darwin likes noises and banging stuff into stuff, so it's pretty much bound to be a success. He doesn't need anything else for his birthday though, so please don't spend your money :( I've not got him anything other than his toot toot animals, and he'll be getting those over the course of the next two years or so. The book would be smashing, though, and has really cheered me up. I've been feeling a bit down with human beings in general, so that's cheered me up just st the moment when there's no hot water for a warm bath and I've pulled a muscle in my back and I'm feeling pretty teary and fed up with everything. Just remembered I have a scone, too, so maybe ok.

You're a bit late with the no presents I'm afraid, it's just a couple of bits but they are wrapped and ready. If you're not doing anything (with other adults) for his birthday shall I just bring them to the cottage? You are more than welcome to the book, I'm glad it's going to somewhere it will get some use. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 18:53 
Best
Board Mother

Book + empty looking bag (it isn't I promise!) + Your wedding anniversary card and gift! All among various other stuff I have for you here.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 19:52 

I don't know what to say, honestly, other than that you really shouldn't have. The book looks great, and I know we shall all enjoy it. Russell reads Darwin a Dr Seuss book every single night (actually, I say that but tonight was the first time it was something different as I happened to get Where The Wild Things Are) but since starting the new bedtime routine he has a story each night and so Dr Seuss gets read each night, so that was the most wonderful of gifts. Since we started the new bedtime routine, and with some advice and help from someone on here in regards to baby sleep, Darwin went from waking up 5-6 but sometimes 8 times a night, needing a breast feed to settle each night, to sleeping all the way through the night for 11 hours a night. It was like a miracle. The first night Russell say with him, reading a story, telling him he loved him, and he whinged a bit but after 15 minutes went to sleep, woke up 6:30 the next day. Since then we read him a story, he's asleep by about 7:30 and we wake him up at 6:30 the next morning. It's been 3 weeks now, and I still wake up confused.

We are not doing anything for his birthday, really. I really, really wanted to have a little party/gathering, because who wouldn't on their baby's first birthday? It feels so special to us. But I realised that we don't really know anyone who would likely want to come, and rather no party than a sad and lonely one. My mum is coming over on his actual birthday, but that's all. I'm still going to make a cake with an Ictonsuts theme, because at least we'll then gave a cake picture, and I bought a pack of balloons and a banner, but that's all. If my mum hadn't said she'd come k we I was going to take him to W Midlands safari park, but her partner could book one day off and they chose to use it in visiting for his birthday.

All that said you know you have a standing invitation to always come o er, so...

Otherwise we'll definitely be at the cottage. I've just made the most perfect roasted chickpeas so we'll have to make some of those there also :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 20:04 
sneering elitist

Mimi wrote:
Is that where your rainbow is from? I saw it in your windowsill and was admiring it then. Yes, very beautiful pieces, very pricey though :(

No, it was from another site, but it's the same brand rainbow. Probably the most expensive thing I ever bought the kids. :DD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 20:06 

It's more a sculpture piece, I think. Worth displaying when the little'uns are grown.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 20:41 
sneering elitist

It's surprisingly tough! They "ski" on it, lie on it, build towers and then kick the shit out of it. Apart from a tiny bit of chipped paint on a couple of the layers it's still in brilliant condition.

Reply to topic  [ 428 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next