Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 428 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Amazon Prime
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 16:08 
ugvm'er at heart...

Does anybody have it? Is it worth the money?

I keep thinking that no it isn't, but I do generally buy most of my stuff from amazon anyway and i've noticed that using super-saver is having a longer and longer wait for items to be delivered, which can be annoying...

Post subject: Re: Amazon Prime
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 16:12 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Is it £49.99 a year? That's what I thought it was and to be honest, I don't mind waiting a couple of days for things to turn up rather than pay anything.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 16:13 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Trooper wrote:
Does anybody have it? Is it worth the money?

I keep thinking that no it isn't, but I do generally buy most of my stuff from amazon anyway and i've noticed that using super-saver is having a longer and longer wait for items to be delivered, which can be annoying...

We've had it in the past - yes you use it more but in the end we're not using it now and the big reason is that if you ordered something for prime delivery which was supposed to be next day virtually nothing arrived next day !

Instead it would arrive later and when you complained to Amazon they said "sorry since you didnt pay for next day delivery we will not refund you"

Since then we've ordered stuff and just paid for next day delivery and it always arrived next day (and that was then cheaper than prime)

** Note most of our stuff was things ordered on Friday for delivery on Saturday so if it didnt arrive we could not get it until Monday and by them we'd both be at work so we'd be carded and have to go and collect it at some point on Tuesday which was a complete pain

This may obviously vary with your location

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 16:16 
UltraMod

I've had stuff turn up late, but when I complain they add an extra month onto my Prime membership for me.

It's pretty good if you mainly shop at Amazon and don't particularly care about price. Not so great if you like hunting for the cheapest things.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 16:34 

The US customers get Amazon Instant video added, I'm hoping at some point in the future they will add Lovefilm Instant to the package.

I've used Prime since Sept last year, it's ok but like everyone else I don't really need stuff next day.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 16:55 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Yes. Yes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 17:04 
Gogmagog

We have it. We think it is ace.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 17:29 
Chinny chin chin

Is it like Optimus Prime?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 17:48 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I've had three consecutive failed deliveries, two of which were time critical. Won't be renewing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 17:48 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Currently on the 'trail'. (for the one millionth time).

Things don't come next day, but 2 days later. Which isn't that different from super saver delivery, really.

I don't think it's worth it. Depends how much you buy from amazon.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 18:01 

Grim... wrote:
Yes. Yes.
:this: Never had a problem with next day delivery & the free kindle books borrowing is gid too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 18:08 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Is it like Optimus Prime?

Subtitles on, sir.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 18:35 
Excellent Member

I cancelled my free trial halfway through because they used shitty carriers that chucked packages in hedges / delivered to some random place down the street / etc.

I now use Amazon Locker, which has been uniformly excellent so far (and there is one on the way back from work).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 18:53 
Sleepyhead

Got mine because I had a trial of Amazon Family, and then forgot to cancel.

It has been moderately helpful, but should be useful at Xmas.

Kindle lending library is woeful, as you can't choose to borrow from the website. So on the very rare occasion it has a book I want, I can rarely be arsed to 'borrow' it and just buy it instead (unless it is dead speedy).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 19:00 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'd love to use Amazon Locker but there isn't one local.

Thinking about it, Prime will be useless for me I expect. There isn't anyone in to take the parcel, so I always have to pick it up from the post office, and I can only do that on either wednesday evening or saturday morning, due to opening times. The 5 day wait at times to get something dispatched via super saver is annoying though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 19:23 

I used the trial for last year's Christmas shopping so not only got stuff next day but with free delivery, for free.

Unfortunately I can't do that this year, but I generally buy enough stuff from Amazon that it'd be worth it, so I'm considering starting it up again.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 19:25 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I used amazon locker on a prime order to try to get around a failed delivery on Saturday (amazon are using in house couriers locally now and a fail on Friday couldn't be rescheduled to sat so did a cancel and reorder).

Delivered to the locker at 7:30pm, shop closed at 8pm. 20 minute walk. Not ideal.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 19:38 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Firefox wrote:
I cancelled my free trial halfway through because they used shitty carriers that chucked packages in hedges / delivered to some random place down the street / etc.

I now use Amazon Locker, which has been uniformly excellent so far (and there is one on the way back from work).

Its easy to blame the couriers, Christ knows I have in the past. On 21st December I had a single Prime order broken into 7 'fulfillments' and 6 of them were left at other addresses in the same or nearby streets as they all said the house didn't exist (new build, sort of round a corner). Still, we got to meet our neighbours.

However, when Amazon are pumping out prime unlimited at £50 a year, they're unlikely to be paying a full per package rate, and no bulk courier could afford to turn them down as a client. Possibly a similar stranglehold over their business model as we complain about Tesco abusing farmers with.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 19:57 
Sitting balls-back folder

It's ace and as myps said, every time I complain I get a free month. Especially useful now loads of marketplace sellers just ship out of amazon's warehouses (so are prime rligible) nyway.

Can be shared with 4 family members, too. No name or address match needed, just both you and they have to promise you're telling the truth about the relationship.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 21:13 
Excellent Member

I got it as my wife was stressing herself about what things she should have before our baby arrived.

Once I got I told her she could have pretty much any baby stuff she wanted in 24 hours from Amazon delivered to the house, this alone lifted stress from her she didn’t need in the final weeks of her pregnancy.

We did indeed use it for things we either forgot or didn’t even know we needed! I think maybe one or two from 20 things I’ve ordered since we have got Prime where late.

Sometimes when you look for things you can’t find anything that is Prime eligible, which is annoying, aside from that it’s well worth it. I do order almost everything from there now, used to use EBay for new stuff but only go there if Amazon don’t have it

Quote:
Can be shared with 4 family members, too. No name or address match needed, just both you and they have to promise you're telling the truth about the relationship.

How do you do that? In your accout settings?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:31 

Yeah, there are a pair of options next to each other, 'manage your prime subscription' and the relevant one 'manage your family memberships'

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 20:55 
Isn't that lovely?

gospvg wrote:
The US customers get Amazon Instant video added, I'm hoping at some point in the future they will add Lovefilm Instant to the package.

I've used Prime since Sept last year, it's ok but like everyone else I don't really need stuff next day.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/custome ... =201182650

Not quite included in the price, but it's a bundle!

Malc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:10 
UltraMod

In 5 days, Amazon Prime will include unlimited streaming of movies and TV episodes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/prime/pipel ... reannounce

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:15 
Excellent Member

British Nervoso wrote:
In 5 days, Amazon Prime will include unlimited streaming of movies and TV episodes.

Amazon's streaming video thing confuses me somewhat because they've already got an entire video streaming/sending service in the shape of LoveFilm which these days you even log in to with your Amazon login so having this 'competing' service is just odd. I presume they're using it to try and drive people toward Amazon Prime but it's all a bit fragmented and annoying.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:16 
Awesome
Yes

I saw that this morning.

I wonder what the range of tv episodes and films is like.

We currently pay £71.88 a year for Netflix.

Amazon are doing this for £49 now, or £79 after the 26th.

So even if I delayed it, it would be like paying £8 for prime all year IF the service was comparable on the streaming front.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:29 
Excellent Member

There's just not enough information there to know (a) what their selection is and (b) exactly what devices it'll be available on. If they're launching the whole thing in a few days they must know those details so announcing it now, and expecting you to sign up, without telling you the things people naturally want to know is just odd and isn't doing much to attract me.

Granted you can do some checking on their US service and assume parity in terms of device support but why force people to do that level of research on their own? If you know, tell us. If you don't, just don't announce it at all until you do.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:33 
UltraMod

I am already a Prime member, so I'll disseminate essential information when it arrives.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:06 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
There's just not enough information there to know (a) what their selection is and (b) exactly what devices it'll be available on.

Lovefilm.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/software/lovefi ... -50013408/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:12 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:
There's just not enough information there to know (a) what their selection is and (b) exactly what devices it'll be available on.

Lovefilm.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/software/lovefi ... -50013408/

Ah, that makes much more sense of the whole thing. Although it does beg the question why Amazon don't just mention that on the actual site.

It also means I can answer Russ' question: the selection is mostly shite and certainly won't replace Netflix.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:22 

We already have Prime so it's a nice little bonus. Although I remember Lovefilm instant being pretty dismal when we last had it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I have Prime, Netflix and LoveFilm (twice). I never use Netflix or LoveFilm.

I'm completely terrible at this kind of thing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:34 
Unpossible!

I was paying for lovefilem for over a year without realising.

Silly me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:40 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
It also means I can answer Russ' question: the selection is mostly shite and certainly won't replace Netflix.

I was under the impression that while Netflix have a better selection of TV shows, Lovefilm has always had a wider range of films. If that's the case, surely they will complement each other?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:45 
Isn't that lovely?

I have prime, and payed the extra little bit to get lovefilm as well, do I get that for free now? (I haven't read anything yet on it) I hope so as that would be nice.

Malc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:46 
UltraMod

The issue is now, if you don't want video streaming, you can't just pay £49 for the delivery stuff. If I decide I don't really like their streaming offering, I'll probably cancel when it's up for renewal.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:57 
Excellent Member

British Nervoso wrote:
Bamba wrote:

I was under the impression that while Netflix have a better selection of TV shows, Lovefilm has always had a wider range of films. If that's the case, surely they will complement each other?

We generally use the postal side of Lovefilm for films because that selection is amazing compared to any streaming provider but for streaming stuff (films or TV) we always end up on Netflix. YMMV depending on what you're looking for obviously but if it wasn't for their physical disc selection we'd cancel Lovefilm in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:02 

British Nervoso wrote:
The issue is now, if you don't want video streaming, you can't just pay £49 for the delivery stuff. If I decide I don't really like their streaming offering, I'll probably cancel when it's up for renewal.

Yeah, same here. In fact I just put a reminder in my calendar for next February reminding me to do just that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:29 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Bamba wrote:
Ah, that makes much more sense of the whole thing. Although it does beg the question why Amazon don't just mention that on the actual site.

The graphic they use is one I've seen on LoveFilm before. So it should be OBVIOUS! (maybe)

I quite liked LoveFilm when I got physical DVDs from it. The problem is I'm not so much of a watcher. But a free LoveFilm subscription for having prime? QUIDS IN.

ps: On the subject of Prime: When ordering something with prime I'm usually given the option for Prime SUPER NEXT DAY (free), Prime ULTRA SUPER NEXT DAY (costs money and always has the same delivery date) and the usual PEASANT NEXT DAY (costs money).

The only time I used the ULTRA SUPER NEXT DAY the fucking thing didn't come at the time specified. But when I use the normal Prime next day stuff it always comes on time. I once ordered something at 11pm Friday night and it came the next morning, even though it said Monday.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:30 
UltraMod

Pod wrote:
But a free LoveFilm subscription for having prime*? QUIDS IN.

* until your renewal date when it goes from £50 to £80 a year.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:33 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

British Nervoso wrote:
Pod wrote:
But a free LoveFilm subscription for having prime*? QUIDS IN.

* until your renewal date when it goes from £50 to £80 a year.

Oh :( I didn't notice the price hike.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:35 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

And before anyone says HA HA STUPID IT'S IN GIANT LETTERS, there appears to be two pages. One for people with prime (no figure at all) and one without. I only saw the other one after I logged out.

edit: Although going to that one if you're not logged in still shows the other one. Grr.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:55 
Excellent Member

My Prime runs out in June I think so I will have this for a nice 4 months.

If its any good I will keep it for £30 a year

Wonder if it will extend to Prime Family? My Dad uses mine for delivery's after I added hime

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 20:09 

Prime's going up to £80? That's that cancelled come renewal then.

edit: ooh, a handy 'do not auto-renew' button. And mine only renewed last month anyway!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:21 
Excellent Member

I installed the Love Film\Amazon Prime video app on my Xbox One last night. It accepted my Amazon log so I can browse content but can’t play anything.

The content is shit at the moment, shows like SG1, Star Trek Voyager and loads of “made for DVD” cartoons.

Hopefully it will be better after the 26th.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:24 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Voyager is my favorite Star Trek

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 13:11 
Gogmagog

Does it have Monster High? monster high is really good.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 13:55 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 18:12 
Best
Board Mother

Grim... wrote:

:this: :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 18:18 
Isn't that lovely?

Hmm,

I'm confused here. I have prime, and I upgraded a little while back to get the love film stuff as well.

From what I can see, this is now going to be the norm for prime.

I can't see anywhere what the price will be, people have been saying that prime is going up (to the price I am paying at the moment) but I can't see where that is on the Amazon website.

Is there a link to what the deal with the price is?

Malc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 18:22 
Isn't that lovely?

Ah, found it

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/custome ... =201449930

and I get a refund of £30!

Phew.

Quote:
Amazon Prime + LOVEFiLM Instant Members

Active Amazon Prime + LOVEFiLM Instant members (with a 30-day trial or paid membership) will have their memberships automatically changed to an Amazon Prime membership on 26 February. This is the date when Prime Instant Video will become available. You'll receive a £30 refund for your current membership and an e-mail confirmation of the refund.

Malc

Reply to topic  [ 428 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next