Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Suicide
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 19:02 
making out to faces of death

I've thought about it a couple of times, but I know what Comical Gnomes means, and that's how I feel too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 20:07 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Nearly did. End of (miserable) school, girl I fancied going out with utter prick who screwed my only friend at school over* (and who asked her out via email - email - the day before I went up to ask her out. Gnnnngh. Still, on the plus side he's fat now as well as cowardly), angry, depressed, really fucked up family stuff, unable to think of anything worth putting up with all this crap, etc. I fortunately had a friend who had introduced me to some people he knew and told me to transfer to his 6th form, where he would make sure I had a warm welcome.

I pretty much told myself that I'd get through the summer somehow and see if having at least somewhere to go that wasn't filled almost exclusively with loathsome cunts made things any better. It did, I met some truly awesome people I still see whenever possible, a chum who loved AP, and a gorgeous and delightfully mad girlfriend. All these people helped me deal with Stuff and realise how much Stuff so many other people have, and I've since pulled my head at least partway out of my arse and become a scourge of Stuff for other people. When I have the strength, obviously.

I've been extraordinarily lucky in that nobody close to me has committed suicide. My dad's mum tried to hang herself in my bedroom when I was a kid, and a very close friend took an overdose last year (while I was having the Best Weekend Of My Life with my ex. Life's a cunt like that sometimes), but that's about it. Many of my closest friends self harm, or did for years, and I'm having trouble thinking of people I know who weren't abused and/or sexually assaulted, but so far nobody's quite taken the final step. I hope that continues, but I have a serious case of Samaritan Syndrome, and will be very surprised if it does.

*He and his pathetic mates (who had known him for years) literally ran off, giggling, and avoided him from then on, though took ever yop portunity to call out "BECAUSE HE'S A PRICK!" from across the room when someone else asked why they'd been such children. They tried to get me along, but I told them all to fuck off, asked them individually why they did it, and none of them could come up with a reason. Two of them were jealous because he was funnier and smarter than them and made them look bad, and the third had no spine, so fuck 'em. I spent the next few years deliberately talking to them very loudly while in mixed company, so that they'd try to childishly ignore me, and everyone would think they were being a dick. Also I kicked one of them in the knee while playing basketball once and got off scot free, because of course he had to ignore me. So I did it another five or six times. Petty, but hey, I was young.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 20:09 
Excellent Member

This is got to be a contender for the most depressing topic of the year award...and its only June!

My personal view is that suicide is a totally selfish act and I have no sympathy for the people who go through with it; only the people they leave behind.

I appreciate that there may be instances, due to mental health issues and other illnesses, that sometimes people do kill themselves...but I'd also suspect a lot of the time it could be avoided if you talk to people and realise that life isnt as bad as you think it is.

Anyone here who is thinking about it, get yourself COD 4 and get online with the bezzies and kangeroo in the pool...it'll soon change your mind!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 22:10 
Ezekiel

Ms Zen-chan done Samaritan work part time while she was a mature student at uni, but unfortunately she just doesn't have the time now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 22:30 
Legendary Boogeyman

Not to be insensitive to anyone, but if I was going to kill myself, I'd probably go down in a blaze of violent glory. In other words, I'd snap and murder a few of the people that annoy me a lot before the police riddle me with bullets. I'm one of those.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 22:34 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

ComicalGnomes wrote:
Not to be insensitive to anyone, but if I was going to kill myself, I'd probably go down in a blaze of violent glory. In other words, I'd snap and murder a few of the people that annoy me a lot before the police riddle me with bullets. I'm one of those.

No-one would ever have guessed. You may need to pay someone up front to say "I don't understand - he was such a nice boy".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 23:08 
Isn't that lovely?

A school friend of mine hung him self:

His Father was from Egypt, I think his mum died at an early age (she was british) and when he was about 15 he decided to go back there. My friend suddenly had no home, and was living in a doss, started hanging out "with the wrong crowd" and doing drugs and stuff, it came to be A-level time, and he decided he wasn't going to get any where in life and just did it.

Quite shocking at the time, as when he was 13/14 I was quite friendly with him. If I was less naive I might have spotted the signs, but you know, I just thought he'd turned into a bit of an arsehole (I didn't know his father had gone back to Egypt until about 6 months before he killed himself) and let him get on with it.

Malc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 23:17 

ComicalGnomes wrote:

[VOTE:ComicalGnomes]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:32 
Rebel without a clue.

Ramsea wrote:
My personal view is that suicide is a totally selfish act and I have no sympathy for the people who go through with it; only the people they leave behind.

It is equally selfish to expect someone who doesn't want to live to stay alive just to please yourself, or other people.

Not saying that either view is right or wrong, but they are both "selfish", if you wish to use that term.

But then, all life is fundamentally selfish.

Johnny Cash

Last edited by Grim... on Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:59, edited 1 time in total.
Fixed quote tags

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:23 

I totally understand the viewpoint of it being a selfish act, but I can totally understand why people do it. The strange thing for me is that it comes and goes - sometimes I wish I could just end it all and others, like today, I can't understand why I would ever feel like that. I would say that it depends on what side of the bed I get up on in the morning, but I sleep next to a wall.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:03 
Comfortably Dumb

The two instances of suicide that I mentioned were both of men with families which I find harder to understand. I'd only justify suicide personally if I had no-one around me - I couldn't leave a child without one of their parents so for me at least, I would see that as selfish.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:32 
Legendary Boogeyman

Yeah, fair comment, you can't call a child selfish because they want their mum or dad to stay alive.

Didn't work for my uncle however, he left a daughter.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:37 
Sleepyhead

I've not really had any friends/relatives who've committed suicide, or suicidal thoughts (though I am prone to occasional self-destructive tendencies in other ways), but the feyonce works as a mental health nurse, so she has to deal with that kind of thing on a regular basis. Not pleasant, from what I gather.

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2