Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: GP2X F-200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 15:54 

Does anyone know more about these bad boys?:

http://gp2x.co.uk/

Maybe I'm late in finding out about his but OMFG!!?! My ancient H140 iRiver Mp3 player is on its' last legs, so I was looking at something to fill that hole, but this could replace my DS Lite as well (since I only play a few puzzle games on it anyway).

Anyone had any experience with it? It seems like it would be incredible as an all round portable media player/games machine.

Post subject: Re: GP2X F-200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 15:57 
Where are you?

That ad/site has been up for ages. Frankly, the d-pad (or its equivalent) looks fucking horrendous.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 15:57 

DBSnappa has a F-100, which is a bit slower and lacks the touchscreen. He seemed generally impressed with it (except battery life). I got a PSP instead though -- the emu support is almost as good on there, I think, and it has (obviously) better commercial software. However this new touchscreen GP2X is interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 16:05 
Excellent Painter

I've got and had a GP2X for quite some time, which I suspect is the precursor to this device - I even had a GP32 until it disappeared into the blackhole that is Gaywood's paws. It's very nice at emulating lots of different old systems. However, this is all I use it for, mainly - I've never run video or music on it. It's quite large - physically it's about the same size as the original DS, possibly a bit smaller. The joystick is a bit crap, but it's bearable and doesn't ruin games or your hands like a PSP does.

The build quality seems good if the materials are a little gimcrack. It absolutely eats batteries like a 1970s electronic toy though. If you're lucky you'll get 2.5hrs out of a brand new set of AAs - decent rechargeables usually double that, so buy some.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 16:19 

Urgh, it uses batteries?! That's not good!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 16:48 
What-ho, chaps!

How big (drive space) is your iRiver?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 20:10 

MrD wrote:
How big (drive space) is your iRiver?

40GB, which is why I am struggling to get something new at least this size, which isn't an iPod. I also use RockBox, so any new MP3 Player is looking like it will be a serious downgrade in functionality. I'm interested in the Zune which Grim... mentioned in the iPhone thread, but still, it won't do as much as my rockboxed H140 does now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:09 
Excellent Member

Got an F-100 First Edition (ie. beta hardware) and an F-200. The joystick on the F-100 is practically unusable - the joystick is positioned the wrong way around so the diagonals are easier to hit than left and right. The d-pad on the F-200 is a big improvement, but the touch screen is hopelessly inaccurate. I ported my DS GUI kit to it but gave up when I realised just how bad the touch screen is.

It's great for emulators. Has full-speed ST, Mega Drive, SNES, NES, Master System, C64 (etc) emulators, and does a reasonable job of Amiga emulation. The F-200 d-pad is still a bit awkward, though, and you're probably better off waiting for the Pandora if you want a games machine.

As a media device, it's OK I suppose. It uses MPlayer for playback (it runs a midget Linux distro as its OS) and will play the usual formats.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:28 

The Pandora looks brilliant, I'll definitely wait until that has been released before I consider buying one of these devices. Looks very promising indeed, I have been considering getting an Eee PC as a coffee table internet device, but the Pandora could cope with that instead, it seems. Ain't technology great!?

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]