Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tom Clancy's The Division (PS4/XB1)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:23 

And not nearly finished, delayed until possibly 2015 :(

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:18 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I'm not super-unhappy about that, I must admit. I'd rather they did it well than rushed it out to get some cash.

We'll probably all be able to buy the Alpha version in a week anyway ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:53 
UltraMod

Yep, this will probably convince me to buy a PS4 if the gameplay is actually any good. It looks truly next gen.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:20 
Excellent Member

Fucking online though. Grr.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:06 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
Fucking online though. Grr.

I find offline MMORPGs a bit dull.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:10 

Hopefully it's only multiplayer in the way that Dark Souls is where other people are mostly incidental rather than central to the experience. There's precious little point creating a realistic, detailed world with some gritty scenario only to have it inhabited by a load of American pre-teens bunny hopping around the place and screeching. It would ruin the immersion a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:19 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I thought the whole point is that you constantly run the risk of PvP, like at the end of the trailer.

I guess we know precious little about it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:38 

Grim... wrote:
I guess the devs know precious little about it.
FTFY. According to the leaked rumours of a 2015 delay, every gameplay element is still in a state of flux.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:39 
INFINITE POWAH

But the pretty graphics!

It'll be like playing Crysis on the PC.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:56 
Bad Girl

Does anyone want this piece of tat I picked up at EGX. I sharnt ever download it. It's probably a comic or something.

You wanit, you gorrit.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 21:16 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Did you get to play / see it? What is it?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 21:29 
Bad Girl

Didn't I tell you already? Yes I played it. It was shit.

I couldn't be less fussed about this pile of boring bollocks. It didn't look amaze, it played like Ghost Recon (the most recent one; the shit one), it wasn't clever, it wasn't interesting, it was clunky, I shot a bunch of people and a bunch of numbers spilled out of them, so many numbers, then I chugged a LMG into a character at close range; an entire box later and they fell over; then someone unloaded a few magazines into me and I finally fell over; then I waited to respawn. A long time passed. Then I respawned but I could hardly be bothered to get back up. The. End.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 23:11 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

So I should probably cancel my pre-order?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 23:55 
Excellent Member

The answer to that is always yes on principle alone.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 0:01 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Nah, it's an Amazon pre-order, they're fine.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:39 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:

You miss the point. No one should ever pre-order games. It's the practice that allows shoddy unfinished game to be released after shoddy unfinished game.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:02 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

There's no point pre ordering games as I've never known a game to be that limited that you can't get hold of it on the day of release.

Certainly when I worked at Game, the amount of stock we received bore no relevance to the amount of pre orders we had.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:03 
Gogmagog

TheVision wrote:
There's no point pre ordering games as I've never known a game to be that limited that you can't get hold of it on the day of release.

Certainly when I worked at Game, the amount of stock we received bore no relevance to the amount of pre orders we had.

GTA V

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:06 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Well it's your own fault. You should have preordered it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:41 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

TheVision wrote:

If you're going to buy it on day 1, pre-ordering on Amazon is wise, as you get the lowest price between when you pre-order and when it's shipped. It doesn't charge you until it ships, either.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:58 
Excellent Member

Future Warrior wrote:
Grim... wrote:

You miss the point. No one should ever pre-order games. It's the practice that allows shoddy unfinished game to be released after shoddy unfinished game.

Yeah, this is what I was getting at. And the argument about 'well I was going to buy it day one anyway' doesn't hold any water with me because the big publishers release so many broken and and bad games these days that committing to buying anything before the reviews come in is a poor decision.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:00 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Yeah, this is what I was getting at. And the argument about 'well I was going to buy it day one anyway' doesn't hold any water with me because the big publishers release so many broken and and bad games these days that committing to buying anything before the reviews come in is a poor decision.

Or the inevitable day 1 server crashes if it's a multiplayer game.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:06 
Excellent Member

Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Or the inevitable day 1 server crashes if it's a multiplayer game.

I'm more forgiving of that because I suspect scaling these things correctly (without just buying up shitloads of capacity you don't need anyway) is pretty difficult and is something a company can legitimately claim isn't an entirely known factor prior to launch. If your core product is buggy or just plain shit though then you can fuck off because often these things couldn't possibly be unknown at the time they make the decision to screw the customer by going ahead with the release anyway.

Aside from the anti-consumer shite the entire pre-order practise encourages, the idea of committing to giving someone money for something when you've literally no idea how good it is just seems like madness to me. I wouldn't part with money for anything else without checking, as far as one can, the quality of it up-front so I don't see what's different about computer games.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:24 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
Grim... wrote:

You can cancel them when the review come in, you know.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:29 

Yeah but reviews for wonky games are almost invariably embargoed until the night before it comes out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:31 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
Grim... wrote:

You can cancel them when the review come in, you know.

Distance selling regulations it away.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:45 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

markg wrote:
Yeah but reviews for wonky games are almost invariably embargoed until the night before it comes out.

They get cancelled as soon as I find that out.

Which is annoying as the first Batman cost me an extra £10 to get.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 21:14 
Bad Girl

Ubisoft says "We're being totally open with you about this. Everyone in the gaming press has non-disclosure orders that don't lapse until sometime after the game has released to the public."

So there you go, no reviews until the game has been released because they're scared of negative press and negative press is probably what they're going to get because it looks shit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 21:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I request that the jury recalls Batman:Arkham Asylum, which had some hideous conditions for review, using screenshots, mag covers, etc.

And, of course, was one of the best games of that generation.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 21:45 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
Ubisoft says "We're being totally open with you about this. Everyone in the gaming press has non-disclosure orders that don't lapse until sometime after the game has released to the public."

So there you go, no reviews until the game has been released because they're scared of negative press and negative press is probably what they're going to get because it looks shit.

I'm confused, that's not what that article says and the bit you quoted isn't even in there any where? What it does say is, "reviewers will start playing the game along with everyone else when it’s released on March 8" which, to me, says simply that no one will be given a final copy of the game for review purposes before the public get their hands on it as is the norm. It's not an embargo, they can presumably post their reviews whenever they want, it's just that they'll need to spend some time actually playing the game before any worthwhile conclusions can be drawn. I mean obviously it's not great if you wanted to buy the game day one but wanted to know what it's like before plonking down the cash but I can kind of sort of understand it from Ubisoft's point of view if you assume the gameplay does genuinely rely on having a fully populated world to work with.

Unless you've got some other source of info about their reasons aside from that link?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 21:59 
Bad Girl

Grim... wrote:
I request that the jury recalls Batman:Arkham Asylum, which had some hideous conditions for review, using screenshots, mag covers, etc.

And, of course, was one of the best games of that generation.

The entire 360/PS3/Wii generation? Nah.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 22:03 
Bad Girl

Bamba wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

I'm confused, that's not what that article says and the bit you quoted isn't even in there any where? What it does say is, "reviewers will start playing the game along with everyone else when it’s released on March 8" which, to me, says simply that no one will be given a final copy of the game for review purposes before the public get their hands on it as is the norm. It's not an embargo, they can presumably post their reviews whenever they want, it's just that they'll need to spend some time actually playing the game before any worthwhile conclusions can be drawn. I mean obviously it's not great if you wanted to buy the game day one but wanted to know what it's like before plonking down the cash but I can kind of sort of understand it from Ubisoft's point of view if you assume the gameplay does genuinely rely on having a fully populated world to work with.

Unless you've got some other source of info about their reasons aside from that link?

Nah. Speculation, init. But, come on, the amount of pages it's been getting in magazines, the gaming press going off to events to play it and so on? What is so different to this and, say, Destiny, which managed to get reviewed on release without some developer saying "You can't review our game because you just won't get the experience, man." And how has it been playable at these events and during the beta? They couldn't provide a single server for press to play it online or something (Bear in mind I know nothing about servers and stuff)? There's no single player mode? You can't ever, ever, EVER play it offline? I mean, really? EVER? Is that what's so great about it?

I can't remember anyone anywhere saying the campaign was online only? Is it? Genuine question.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 22:07 

Bamba wrote:
I'm confused, that's not what that article says and the bit you quoted isn't even in there any where? What it does say is, "reviewers will start playing the game along with everyone else when it’s released on March 8" which, to me, says simply that no one will be given a final copy of the game for review purposes before the public get their hands on it as is the norm.

That definitely means Ubisoft think it's shit, though. Otherwise why do this?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 22:10 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Bamba wrote:
I'm confused, that's not what that article says and the bit you quoted isn't even in there any where? What it does say is, "reviewers will start playing the game along with everyone else when it’s released on March 8" which, to me, says simply that no one will be given a final copy of the game for review purposes before the public get their hands on it as is the norm.

That definitely means Ubisoft think it's shit, though. Otherwise why do this?

Well the other possible option is that they do think you'll need fully populated servers to really see the game at it's best so are essentially forcing reviewers to comment from that point of view. I'm not saying that's actually the case and have honestly no idea if it's any cop or not, I'm just offering up an option. Really I was just reacting to Sat's post which said some stuff that wasn't actually backed up by the link he provided. It might well actually be shit. :shrug:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 22:15 
Bad Girl

The timing couldn't be worse given the impending release date. I'd suggest that this is a measure by Ubisoft to get the most sales from a game that has largely had a tepid response from the gaming press.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 22:17 

It does sound dodgy but on the other hand if they thought it really was utter dogshit that everyone was going to hate I can't imagine that they would have run an open beta for a weekend. To me it just seemed a bit dull but it's not really my sort of thing anyway so I had no strong feelings one way or the other.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 22:20 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
Nah. Speculation, init. But, come on, the amount of pages it's been getting in magazines, the gaming press going off to events to play it and so on? What is so different to this and, say, Destiny, which managed to get reviewed on release without some developer saying "You can't review our game because you just won't get the experience, man." And how has it been playable at these events and during the beta? They couldn't provide a single server for press to play it online or something (Bear in mind I know nothing about servers and stuff)? There's no single player mode? You can't ever, ever, EVER play it offline? I mean, really? EVER? Is that what's so great about it?

I can't remember anyone anywhere saying the campaign was online only? Is it? Genuine question.

It's a MMORPG, of course it's online only. Your pretty relevant comparison there of Destiny is also online only, I'm not sure why you expected any different here? That's the reason I've been paying very little attention to it from pretty much right after the initial reveal videos because it's basically not for me.

As to the rest of your chat there, I doubt anyone's claiming that it couldn't be played on smaller press-only servers or anything (I certainly haven't said that) but obviously they don't want those to be the review conditions. Which could obviously be because it's pish and they want to delay that message getting out, but I don't think we can claim that as a fact at this point. Certainly your claims of a review embargo are untrue; you can't(/don't need to) put an embargo on a review of something which isn't actually available.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 22:23 
Excellent Member

markg wrote:
It does sound dodgy but on the other hand if they thought it really was utter dogshit that everyone was going to hate I can't imagine that they would have run an open beta for a weekend. To me it just seemed a bit dull but it's not really my sort of thing anyway so I had no strong feelings one way or the other.

Nah, running a beta is pretty much a requirement for any massively online game these days. If you don't run one all you're really inviting is that your game gets a savaging when it collapses under the weight of the full player base right at the start. If that happens you're in trouble no matter how good your game is and if it's already potentially a bit crap then you're pretty much totally fucked at that point.

tl;dr: running a beta of an MMO game is an indication of nothing except your desire for your game not to instantly fall over.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 22:28 
Bad Girl

It couldn't care less if it pretends to be a MightMorphinewhatevs, it apparently has a campaign and can be played single player.

Magnus Jenson, the creative Director said in January 2016

Quote:
It’s a great single-player game, period.

So if it's that great, let the reviewers review.

Sauce: http://wccftech.com/division-gameplay-s ... solo-play/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 22:34 
Excellent Member

Single player doesn't mean offline in this case. And even if it did it would be like reviewing Cod by playing only the campaign.

http://www.onlysp.com/the-division-can- ... -seamless/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 22:42 
Bad Girl

Quote:
While The Division may be more of a multiplayer centric title, it seems that Ubisoft Massive are taking into account players who want to play the game alone, or may not have the option to play the game online.

Funny, because that last sentence of your article certainly suggests offline.

And you're talking like the multiplayer will be a completely different aspect of the game, like CoD, whereas the multiplayer is integrated into the campaign experience, like Destiny.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 22:49 
Excellent Member

“there won’t be any offline support” seems pretty unambiguous to me but whatever. And if the multiplayer is integrated then how is the single player even really a single player at all? And wasn't I the one that said it's like Destiny so aren't you agreeing with me by also making the comparison yourself? And doesn't that mean having a fully populated world could genuinely be considered a necessity for a fair appraisal of the game? And do you actually know what we're arguing about any more? And why do I have a massive feeling of deva vu as I tap these sentences out?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 23:05 
Bad Girl

Bamba wrote:
“there won’t be any offline support” seems pretty unambiguous to me but whatever. And if the multiplayer is integrated then how is the single player even really a single player at all? And wasn't I the one that said it's like Destiny so aren't you agreeing with me by also making the comparison yourself? And doesn't that mean having a fully populated world could genuinely be considered a necessity for a fair appraisal of the game? And do you actually know what we're arguing about any more? And why do I have a massive feeling of deva vu as I tap these sentences out?

Weird I completely missed the headline of that article and then missed the same sentence only three paragraphs down. That article was from 2014 anyway, so, it wasn't exactly up to date. Anyway, I'm watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine so I'm not exactly concentrating. Pimento is great and his flirting with Diaz was fan-tastic.

In reply to your questions:

1) as I understand it, there's two facets to the game - playing the campaign and the Dark Zone. The campaign has a linear mission structure, do missions, go here, go there and, if you want, take your mates along - co-op multiplayer. So you could do without the co-op and you're playing the campaign. So is that aspect truly a single player? Yes it is. Next the Dark Zone where you have the high loot and is basically you fighting for the best loot against humans - competitive shooter part. Is it truly single player when it's against actual people? Probably not. So why not add bots. Anyhoo.

2) No. I used Destiny as an example since the mechanics are similar.

3) No. Destiny was similar and they still managed to push out their reviews and give reviewers enough time to get through it. But, sure, you could say the same of any game with multiplayer content. So why don't the CoD's of the world and every other game with multiplayer content (eg most console games) hold back review copies until after release?

4) Something to do with Amiga Power not being given copies of Alien Breed 3D?

5) Something to do with Amiga Power not being given copies of Alien Breed 3D?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 18:14 
UltraMod

Queuing Simulator 2016

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Lulz doirways

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:21 
Participant in dramatic games

Lonewolves wrote:

i keep laughing about this... epople queing up in video game..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 14:50 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

A friend of mine played this last night but he barged to the front.

Shameless.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 14:53 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

They apparently patched it out pretty quickly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 13:08 

Fastest selling Ubisoft game in history:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/0 ... Shotgun%29

Rock Paper Shotgun wrote:
Why did Tom Clancy graduate with honours from business school? Because his Division was good.

Which is both a terrible maths joke and a topical maths joke, because Tom Clancy’s The Division has sold more in its first 24 hours than any other Ubisoft game in history, according to the Ubisoft Blog.

The post also reports that “Total digital full game sales of The Division also set new, single-day company records across PC, Xbox One, PS4.”

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 13:10 
UltraMod

I will probably pick this up when I've wrung everything out of Destiny. They seem too similar to play both concurrently.

Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next