Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Swapper
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:49 
SavyGamer

Don't ask any questions, just buy The Swapper.

Easily one of the best games I've played in ages.

It's a puzzle platformer, up there with the likes of Portal and Braid I reckon.

It doesn't play like Metroid, but it has a few similarities, and is similarly dripping in atmosphere.

I can't think of another game that has shocked me with how good looking it is in a long time.

I'm about four hours in, and very close to finishing it. It's magnificent.

I give it twelve thumbs up.

Edit: I'm not sure how long the launch discount will be available for, so hurry up.

If you are Mac user, there are apparently plans for a Mac version of The Swapper down the line. No timeline as of yet. You should just get a proper computer for playing games on, though.

Post subject: Re: The Swapper
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 15:48 
Excellent Member

I've had this on my watch list for ages now, to the extent that I can't actually remember how I heard about it in the first place. Having just bought shitloads of PC games though (damn you Humble Bundle!) I can't really justify buying yet another one so I'll be holding off for the moment. I have just this minute finished Deadlight though so if Capsized, Thomas Was Alone, The Walking Dead, The Cave, Proteus and Hotline Miami are all awful maybe I'll get to it...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 15:55 
Excellent Member

Also, here's a video intro to the various gameplay mechanics:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 15:56 
SavyGamer

Don't watch it though. Play it without knowing anything about it!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 19:11 
SavyGamer

I've finished it now. The ending is fantastic too. It clocked in at 4 hours for me. Barely any filler though, and I do play a lot of this sort of game.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 19:14 
Bad Girl

Looks ace but is there any chance the consoles will get it anytime soon?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 19:17 
SavyGamer

It doesn't support controllers. I can't actually think of a control scheme that would work without a mouse (and I've seen one of the devs say the same), it pretty much requires cursor controls.

Maybe it will end up on one of the consoles at some point, but I wouldn't count on it.

Edit: I guess a Vita version could work. Don't think it would be ideal though. iOS is probably more likely.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 19:21 
I forgot about this - how vain

Will ignore everything about it till I can get a (mac) copy.

I've no one to blame but myself.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 19:38 
Paws for thought

Mmm, I'm less impressed, myself. Find it a little boring.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 0:31 
SavyGamer

Updated FAQ says that they are looking into adding controller support.

Quote:
Is there going to be controller support?
At the moment you can use at least Joy2Key to emulate the mouse and keyboard inputs.
We will look into adding this after fixing critical issues.

I'm skeptical, though.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 21:59 
Excellent Member

Just started playing this; put in about an hour so far. It's gorgeous to look at and absolutely dripping in atmosphere (seriously, it's creepy as all shit) but it's the not the kind of thing I can play for hours on end. The type of puzzles that're the core of the game just aren't grabbing me so, while I've no doubt I'll enjoy and finish it, I think I'll be picking at it over a long while rather than gorging joyously on it in big gulps. Also, I can't help feeling the actual layout of the ship you're on is really just a way to string puzzle rooms together and isn't actually adding anything to the game.

Oh, and it fully supports the Xbox controller now. I was a bit iffy about it at first but having got to grips with the overall control scheme I'm not having any problems with it at all.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 22:27 
Bad Girl

ME LIKEY!

I'm not a huge fan of puzzle games but this is just on the right side of mildly taxing without being irritating. Love the sound, the atmosphere and outdoor sections and, of course, the thuwump of killing yourself/clones over and over. Vee dot good so far.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 21:53 
Excellent Member

I was trying some games on my backlog and this one blew my away. It's absolutely gorgeous and dripping with atmosphere.

I'm not a big fan of puzzle games but this a pleasure to play. The interface and menus are as lovely as everything else. I suppose this didn't get more noticed because there are some many indie games released nowadays, but imo it's up there among the best like Braid and Hotline Miami.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 13:22 
Bad Girl

I'm stuck on two rooms dammit. I reckon it's the last two needed for the end cause I've got 122 orbs out of 124.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 14:52 
Bad Girl

Turns out it's three rooms. I definitely can't figure one out. I've been staring at it for twenty minutes...

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 15:59 
Excellent Member

The puzzle difficulty is getting a bit ridiculous. I'm not enjoying as much as earlier. I'm around 100 orbs and i doubt i won't use a walkthrough eventually.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 16:35 
Bad Girl

I've managed one room which I was stuck on. It was so obvious when it suddenly clicked. I reckon I can figure the other one out if I stare hard enough. I'm definitely going to use a walkthrough on the other.

I was alright on every room right up until the upside down rooms; then it got difficult, but most are actually rarely very complex in their solution.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 17:26 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
I've managed one room which I was stuck on. It was so obvious when it suddenly clicked. I reckon I can figure the other one out if I stare hard enough. I'm definitely going to use a walkthrough on the other.

I was alright on every room right up until the upside down rooms; then it got difficult, but most are actually rarely very complex in their solution.

Well, i did went to see the solution to a room which i was stuck on, and it was ridiculous. I had the correct mindset but the solution was too fiddly, so i supposed that wasn't the proper way to do it. Even after i watched the solution on a video, it took me about 15 minutes to pull it off.

That's a complete no-no in puzzle gaming.

I agree, that that game was best until the upside down rooms

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 0:29 
Bad Girl

Was that the four pressure pad room?

I got utterly stuck on this one and had to resort to a wiki. I must've spent 30+ minutes trying to figure it out but the solution was so simple it was irritating. I almost had it so many times.

I had to have a look at a wiki for the other one I couldn't do, as well. I feel like a slimy cheater for cheating but I guess 2 out of [however many there were] ain't bad going.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:57 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:

I got utterly stuck on this one and had to resort to a wiki. I must've spent 30+ minutes trying to figure it out but the solution was so simple it was irritating. I almost had it so many times.

I had to have a look at a wiki for the other one I couldn't do, as well. I feel like a slimy cheater for cheating but I guess 2 out of [however many there were] ain't bad going.

No, it wasn't that one. It had 2 pressure pads and the orbs were down on a pit below two movable doors.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:00 
Excellent Member

I've "finished" it. Even with the annoying puzzles at the end it was a lovely experience.

The ending was also great.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 19:56 
Bad Girl

Not this one was it?

Attachment:
2013-06-01_00149.jpg

That was the other one I couldn't figure out either.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 20:44 
Bad Girl

Just thinking about this game again and I think I'm confused about who is what. Any ideas?

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Brains in jars: Are these just subjects brains in a jar? Do the brains in the jar create the first woman clone who they join with at the end?

The player clone. She's a clone right? But what was all that about at the beginning when she's flailing in the rocket that flies off?

The antagonist: So she's the first clone? She's created by the brains in the jar or was she just savaging the wreckage and got sucked into this mess?

The rescue mission guys: "That's the third time. Do you think they were just an opportunist?" says one guy at the end. Third time, what? Were they just the crappest rescue guys ever? Was the antagonist a scavenger though and found the Swapper device? Was this ship subject to multiple savagings? Where did the distress call for the rescue guys come from? The antagonist?

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 19:56 
Excellent Member

I've just given up on this a few hours in, something about the puzzles themselves were just boring the tits off me and even controlling the character had a clumsiness about it that was a background annoyance further sucking the fun out of it. Also, and I'm sure this is just me, when looking at a level trying to think of a solution I'd very often get confused about what the red and blue lights did and have to fuck about a bit reminding myself which of the two properties each blocked; which wasn't helping when I got stuck at times. I'd be very hard pressed to describe exactly what I wasn't enjoying about it mind, but it is what it is. A shame as I was really looking forward to this one, but it's come out a bit meh in the end.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 20:07 
Bad Girl

How strange. For some reason I thought you enjoyed puzzle games. What control scheme were you using? You mentioned about the game pad support so maybe you went with that. I used keys and mouse (I know, look at me, a proper PC game playing guy) and had no problems at all.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 20:07 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
I've just given up on this a few hours in, something about the puzzles themselves were just boring the tits off me and even controlling the character had a clumsiness about it that was a background annoyance further sucking the fun out of it. Also, and I'm sure this is just me, when looking at a level trying to think of a solution I'd very often get confused about what the red and blue lights did and have to fuck about a bit reminding myself which of the two properties each blocked; which wasn't helping when I got stuck at times. I'd be very hard pressed to describe exactly what I wasn't enjoying about it mind, but it is what it is. A shame as I was really looking forward to this one, but it's come out a bit meh in the end.

I felt the same, sadly.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 20:19 
Paws for thought

British Nervoso wrote:
Bamba wrote:

I felt the same, sadly.

Me too. Although I didn't find any of the puzzles that hard, I just reached a point of not really wanting to do anymore as they weren't interesting.

Still completed it despite that though.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 21:00 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
How strange. For some reason I thought you enjoyed puzzle games. What control scheme were you using? You mentioned about the game pad support so maybe you went with that. I used keys and mouse (I know, look at me, a proper PC game playing guy) and had no problems at all.

I do generally enjoy these types of games which is why I was so looking forward to it, but just not this one it seems. I think with puzzle-platformers the central mechanic either grabs you or it doesn't, and if it doesn't then no amount of lovely presentation is really going to make it work for you. As for the controls, I did use the control pad and maybe the KBAM control scheme would've made it slightly less annoying to control but that was only a minor annoyance and not the main reason I wasn't enjoying the game.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:19 
Prince of Fops

Saturnalian wrote:

Ha, I just watched a video of someone doing this puzzle 3 times and came here to see if anyone else had found it impossible. Glad I'm not alone. In the world. Infuriating isn't the word. Fiddly absolutely is.

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]