Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Mirrors Edge 2
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 14:08 
SavyGamer

I absolutely agree that the original is the better looking game.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 14:26 
Esoteric

LewieP wrote:
I absolutely agree that the original is the better looking game.

I think I have worked out why Catalyst doesn't look anywhere near as good. Firstly I've noticed a pattern in the first game where they only seem to use so many colours for an entire level. Like this.

And this. This is much darker, but seems to follow the same trend.

As I also mentioned, the thrill aspect that the original had just doesn't seem to be there so far. I mean this, this was edge of your seat this.

There is absolutely no doubt, the original was far better looking. Whether that was by skill or fluke? I don't know.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 15:18 
I forgot about this - how vain

The more I hear, the more my heart breaks.'

I'll buy it so I can experience all the fun of the Prince of Persia sequels though.

Thinking about it, this is why Dark Souls was so successful. They kept making the game they wanted until the public 'got it' rather than trying to make a game the public already 'get'.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 15:45 
Esoteric

Dr Lave wrote:
The more I hear, the more my heart breaks.'

I'll buy it so I can experience all the fun of the Prince of Persia sequels though.

Thinking about it, this is why Dark Souls was so successful. They kept making the game they wanted until the public 'got it' rather than trying to make a game the public already 'get'.

It's not a bad game dude but so far it's not a patch on the original. The original was really really tough to get to grips with and had a very hard learning curve. I don't know if it's because I played the original so much or whether I just know what I'm doing but this one feels a lot easier and I fall a lot less than I used to. That's good in some ways (I don't get annoyed and my heart rate doesn't go up) but part of what I loved so much about the original was the satisfaction I felt when I'd absolutely fucking nailed a set of obstacles.

It was that "stop start" mentality that I really enjoyed. Having to stop and look around was wonderful. This one though? it just wants you to keep going. There really doesn't seem to be much to stop and look at tbh.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 15:51 

Thanks for your attempts to reassure me, but I'm still so doubtful.

Ironically, your first paragraph makes me worried and your second one reassures me!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 16:00 
SavyGamer

It's very close to a Prince of Persia [2008] to the Sands of Time of the original game.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 16:07 

Hmm, looking at those images, might it be more of a level design issue? I would agree that the world in the new game seems more bland, but it seems to be more of a structural thing, if you know what I mean.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 16:21 

LewieP wrote:
It's very close to a Prince of Persia [2008] to the Sands of Time of the original game.

Faintest praise.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 16:43 
SavyGamer

Definitely not even slightly intended as praise.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 17:06 

Yeah, I know.

Fuck.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 17:13 
Esoteric

lasermink wrote:
Hmm, looking at those images, might it be more of a level design issue? I would agree that the world in the new game seems more bland, but it seems to be more of a structural thing, if you know what I mean.

It definitely feels more claustrophobic. I may know why, too. Now that they have used higher def textures they may have limited what you can see by hiding it behind other objects. Sometimes when I transition from one area to another (jumping onto a drainpipe for example) I get a nasty pause. Possibly because it is loading in the next area? No idea.

I think what it boils down to is that like Fallout 4 this is a really old game running on a dated engine. Why it's taken so long is a mystery but screenshots were shown four years ago or more.

I'm also finding myself getting annoyed at the combat. It's mostly mandatory and if you don't do it exactly as the AI asks you fail and have to do it again. Given that I hate the combat and would rather avoid it where possible I find this very annoying. I hope once I've ignored, I mean learned all of the combat moves this will stop and let the game flow better. I want to stop when I want to, not when the AI wants me to.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 19:00 

Dr Lave wrote:

Thus combining two of the most famous sayings in business: "don't give 'em what they want" and "if at first you don't succeed, keep doing the same thing over and over again."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 19:08 
SavyGamer

It's remarkably telling that I can spend hours and hours perfecting the very first section of Mirror's Edge 1 because it is designed with a reasonable degree of depth, but I can't even think of a single section from the hour or so of the beta of nuMirrror's Edge that I'd want to revisit.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 19:12 
Esoteric

LewieP wrote:
It's remarkably telling that I can spend hours and hours perfecting the very first section of Mirror's Edge 1 because it is designed with a reasonable degree of depth, but I can't even think of a single section from the hour or so of the beta of nuMirrror's Edge that I'd want to revisit.

:this:

Yup, it's all a bit vapid.

Also. I couldn't quite put my finger on it for a while but the sound isn't as good. I could swear that the original had whistling wind when you ran faster and the sound of falling was definitely more exciting in the first one.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 19:18 
SavyGamer

A big "I couldn't put my finger on it but oh yeah now it was pointed out to me it is obvious" thing is that they have done far less animation for your legs. You barely ever see your feet, and one of the most striking accomplishments of the original game was how well they put the "person" in "First person". You barely ever see your feet, and it doesn't even have the panting you'd get in the previous game after sprinting for ages then coming to a standstill.

Edit: repetition is becuase I am drunk not because I am wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 19:44 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Dr Lave wrote:

Thus combining two of the most famous sayings in business: "don't give 'em what they want" and "if at first you don't succeed, keep doing the same thing over and over again."

You are being flippant.

But yeah, good business advice doesn't lead to the best art, but educating the public to enjoy your art is a good way to get it to survive in a business world. Dark Souls did that. Primarily via the community it fosted in soap stones. It now has a stable fanbase and thriving.

EA should have found a way to sell time trials and flow and practise to their audience, rather than adding the exact opposite in grind, tech trees and an open world and other opposite they 'like'.

Butchery to appeal to the lowest common denominator will make more money. This will make more money.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 19:57 
SavyGamer

I am curious as to whether the obvious attempts to appeal to the lowest common denominator will succeed here or not. I can see it going either way.

Either it will work and we'll get countless future Mirror's Edge games that shift away from the essence of the original game, or we'll never get another Mirror's Edge.

Neither of these are the ideal outcome.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 22:22 
Esoteric

I could cry.

I so badly want to like this but two hours in and I am still being controlled. Honestly two hours of training? how much time will I actually get gaming without being told what to do and punished if I don't do it exactly as I am told and then have to repeatedly do it ten more times learning where the enemies are?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:14 
Excellent Member

JohnCoffey wrote:
I could cry.

I so badly want to like this but two hours in and I am still being controlled. Honestly two hours of training? how much time will I actually get gaming without being told what to do and punished if I don't do it exactly as I am told and then have to repeatedly do it ten more times learning where the enemies are?

Two hours on the training? What in God's name are you doing? Half an hour tops to blast through it all surely.

I played through all the actual missions it offered last night and I award it a 'meh' out of ten. On the surface of it it's the same art style as the original (which is one of the prettiest games ever made) but I agree with everyone else that something about it's just not as 'clean', though I'm struggling to put my finger on exactly what's different.

The combat sections are more fun than before and they've obviously put some work in there but they're still scrappy and a bit silly given that you sort of need to back off and take a run at an enemy to get a good hit in. The circle strafe is a nice feature though and that worked well. Any combat involving guys with guns though is instantly stupid because you don't have anything to counteract their weapons so it's just a case of taking as few hits as possible while closing the gap to slap them around.

Conceptually an open world seems to fit the idea of the game really well but in practise this just meant running back and forth over really samey sections of the city over and over again. Maybe the full game will introduce more variety but I'm not convinced, I think this is the kind of thing that really needs actual properly designed levels rather than just a sandbox to dick around in. God knows I was pretty bored of what was there by the time I was finished and the fact that the red leading line kept crapping out entirely wasn't helping. In fact, did anyone else get that? It would just say 'runner vision is offline'? Sometimes it would reconnect automatically and sometimes I would need to hold a button to reconnect it. I mean, what is that? Is it some odd gameplay conceit or does it genuinely require a connection to maintain that feature? The latter idea is ludicrous but it was never explained either way.

What else? Every single one of the characters is a massive prick in their own way and the plot is so obviously going to be the worst kind of nonsense. I was thoroughly expecting that from the original though so ended up taking some enjoyment from how bad it was, like watching a B movie on purpose.

Overall a lot of the ingredients are there, but it just never seems to gel into a massively fun experience. I'll probably play the full game at some point but on current form it's certainly not sitting at the top of my 'want' list or anything.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 18:53 

Bamba wrote:
Conceptually an open world seems to fit the idea of the game really well but in practise this just meant running back and forth over really samey sections of the city over and over again. Maybe the full game will introduce more variety but I'm not convinced, I think this is the kind of thing that really needs actual properly designed levels rather than just a sandbox to dick around in.

This was really the main thing I took from the experience. I also think it's the main reason for the bland look of the thing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 19:02 
Rude Belittler

I liked Prince of Persia 2008.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 19:38 
SavyGamer

I think the big change is the lighting technique and use of colour.

The glass reflections and lighting techniques are technically impressive, but it's a far less striking aesthetic.

It's also far less minimalist, with visual clutter all over the place.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 20:31 
Excellent Member

Pundabaya wrote:

Yeah, I thought it was brilliant fun and never understood the hate it gets.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 21:42 
Paws for thought

Bamba wrote:
Pundabaya wrote:

Yeah, I thought it was brilliant fun and never understood the hate it gets.

:this:

Sonic 2006, mind...

But anyway, I haven't played this, but looking at the videos, it looks like it could be a good game, just not the game people want from a mirrors edge sequel.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:30 
SavyGamer

The problem is that the took a legit platformer and turned it into Simon.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 18:11 
Bad Girl

I started playing this yesterday. I've gotta say, the characters are all instantly dislikeable. And I mean instantly. It's not as though you'll dislike them because, say, they're a great villain, I mean you'll hate the terrible dialogue, the ridiculous names and how much the writers are aching to be hip and cool IN THA FOOUCHA.

Just awful, awful, bullshit nonsense.

The game plays alright, I guess. The fighting started out boring (literally smash square button and they die) and then gets slightly more complex (smash square, dodge, smash square) but becomes more tedious, because you just want to keep running along.

By the way, did the original game have wall running? It's got it here and I don't like it because it sometimes it doesn't like to attach me to the wall.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 18:16 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Satsuma wrote:
By the way, did the original game have wall running? It's got it here and I don't like it because it sometimes it doesn't like to attach me to the wall.

Yes it did , the original games movement mechanic was one of the best things about it.

I have this one downloaded but have not even started it up yet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 23:50 
Bad Girl

And another thing, there's plenty of surfaces that are reflective but only a very small number actually reflect Faith's character model which makes standing in front of lots of surfaces a bit weird as everything is reflected except you.

ME reboot: Faith confirmed as a vampire.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 23:57 
Bad Girl

44/435 of one type of collectible that I've been accidentally running into. I remember when GTA: Vice City had a mere 100 totem heads and I'd found 99. Never again.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 21:14 
Bad Girl

You know these fuckers are dragging this out when they place consecutive missions at other ends of the map time and time again. Fuckers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 21:46 
Bad Girl

Got to the mission briefing at the other side of the map and then had to run to the start of the mission which is just beyond the exact spot I'd came from (& where the last mission ended). FFS. Seriously taking the piss.

Plus Runner Vision is fucking garbage. For starters, because it's open world you get a blurry red line speed off into the distance to show you the way. It's gone in seconds so you constantly have to spam R3 every couple of seconds to make it shoot out again.

But if, say, you're looking a different direction to where it wants you to go you get nothing. So you're looking around pressing R3 to find the fucking thing.

And I swear the method of highlighting objects in red is worse than the first ME too. There's so few objects highlighted on a route that you can't follow those instead of the fucking stupid 2 seconds of a red line.

Overal: it's pretty good. Highly recommended.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 22:03 
Bad Girl

Faith needs a grapple hook like I need a hole in the head.

And why does she have to stop to use it to pull down some planks of wood? Why not, I don't know, give her power boots and let her charge through planks of wood. It'd be more in keeping with the "don't stop moving" dynamic rather than the stand still and press x shit on offer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 23:04 
Bad Girl

Urgh, this story is all sorts of bad. Like, Resident Evil bad*.

*cept 7, which I ain't played.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 18:21 
Bad Girl

I played a good mission. Lots of running about a museum while baddies try and shoot you. Mission 13/15.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 13:42 
Gogmagog

Just started this, and it is quite fun. Running about has good sense of momentum. Combat is ok, Faith probably a little too tough. I like the clean aestbetic of the city. Stops stuff getting in the way of running and jumping.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 18:49 
Gogmagog

This is super fun! Even getting from A to B isn't a chore.

Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3