Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 20:17

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 1750 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 13:02 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 60885
Location: Your Mum
Evolve could be great fun with some bessies.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 13:06 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 47516
Location: Nottingham
Grim... wrote:
Evolve could be great fun with some bessies.

Made by the L4D team I believe. However reviews seem to suggest it's nowhere near as good, quite imbalanced.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 13:10 
SupaMod
User avatar
Everybodys gilf

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44583
Well now I want to play L4D

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 13:13 
SupaMod
User avatar
"Praisebot"

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 12960
Location: Parts unknown
Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Evolve could be great fun with some bessies.

Made by the L4D team I believe. However reviews seem to suggest it's nowhere near as good, quite imbalanced.


I heard it could be fun. To be honest, I know nothing about it so I'm looking forward to giving it a go.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 14:11 
8-Bit Champion
User avatar
Two heads are better than one

Joined: 16th Apr, 2008
Posts: 12764
There has been a lot of talk about it going free to play but in the end they just abandoned it - having a games for gold type deal may help with the playerbase a bit but its probably too little too late.

I picked up the PS4 version in one of the cheap deals at one point and its okay - however it really does not have the playerbase and those that have played it a lot will just wipe the floor with you if your 'new' so people get behind and quit out

Jim Sterling on what went wrong with Evolve


_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 14:52 
SupaMod
User avatar
"Praisebot"

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 12960
Location: Parts unknown
I'm not able to watch the video as I'm at work but what sort of game is it then? There's myself and 3 other friends that would be interested in playing it so is there an online co op that doesn't involve playing against anyone else?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 15:11 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 47516
Location: Nottingham
You need 5 as it's 4v1.

I'd forgotten about the gross DLC preorder shenanigans. That analysis is pretty spot on and it's the reason why I steered clear of it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 15:14 
8-Bit Champion
User avatar
Two heads are better than one

Joined: 16th Apr, 2008
Posts: 12764
TheVision wrote:
I'm not able to watch the video as I'm at work but what sort of game is it then? There's myself and 3 other friends that would be interested in playing it so is there an online co op that doesn't involve playing against anyone else?


Its a 4 on 1 deathmatch

One player is the monster which starts off weak and has to avoid the hunters to slowly evolve to become more and more powerful (evolve by killing things).

The hunters all start off at their normal level and have different skills / weapons / abilities

If the hunters find the monster quickly enough and it does not escape the hunters win
If the monster avoids them for long enough to evolve then its basically unstoppable

Only online modes (no CPU / offline) , if you get a group together I can see it being fun but you really need 5 (so your just playing with your group) once you add randoms in it will cause you problems.

The Video is much more around what went wrong with it which was crap reveal / crap pre-launch (you got access to different monsters and hunters depending on what version you bought and where you bought it from) / poor launch (server issues) / poor updates / post launch support - there were also balancing issues because at least one of the monsters was very much overpowered compared to the others so everyone as the monster chose that (if they had it unlocked)

They had a real go at turning it around later with the free to play stuff on PC and and saw a spike of players at that point but did not keep them.

Right now no-one is playing it and for an online only game that does not work - I'd say you will regularly have more players on L4d than you will on this

Actually - steam charts

Evolve :
Average number of players for the last 90 days - 400

http://steamcharts.com/app/273350

L4d2:
Average number of players for the last 90 days - 9700

http://steamcharts.com/app/550

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 15:24 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 29079
I'd add that another problem is that, unlike L4D, it doesn't have a pure co-op mode; you always need a monster player. I was always a lot more interested in the four-player L4D mode than the competitive one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 15:30 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 47516
Location: Nottingham
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I'd add that another problem is that, unlike L4D, it doesn't have a pure co-op mode; you always need a monster player. I was always a lot more interested in the four-player L4D mode than the competitive one.

That was mainly because Versus mode was horrendously imbalanced though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 15:35 
SupaMod
User avatar
"Praisebot"

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 12960
Location: Parts unknown
Lonewolves wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I'd add that another problem is that, unlike L4D, it doesn't have a pure co-op mode; you always need a monster player. I was always a lot more interested in the four-player L4D mode than the competitive one.

That was mainly because Versus mode was horrendously imbalanced though.


I can see what the good Doctor means here. There was a similar beast mode in GTA but we always preferred playing on the same team or at a push, a 2v2 situation.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 15:38 
User avatar
gooby pls

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 11170
Location: Shrewsbury, UK
I've been trying to think for ages who Jim Sterling reminds me of, and that video thumbnail has just jogged my memory. He's not the "Numa Numa" guy is he?

_________________
Mostly pointless witterings of a fool. gazchap.com
Source Design - Graphic Design and Web Design Shropshire


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 15:40 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 47516
Location: Nottingham
The thing was in 4v4 playing as the survivors you could play like the co-op mode anyway. The issue was that those playing the monsters had a less than compelling experience and if you were competent you'd beat the survivors every time. It was a fun novelty but nowhere near as good as the core game.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 15:51 
8-Bit Champion
User avatar
Two heads are better than one

Joined: 16th Apr, 2008
Posts: 12764
GazChap wrote:
I've been trying to think for ages who Jim Sterling reminds me of, and that video thumbnail has just jogged my memory. He's not the "Numa Numa" guy is he?


No but i can see the resemblance https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numa_Numa_(video)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 16:29 
8-Bit Champion
User avatar
Two heads are better than one

Joined: 16th Apr, 2008
Posts: 12764
I think this sorta fits here better than just in BnB

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/ ... 0e79e579c1

An interesting article on whats going wrong for Microsoft right now

"The Exclusive Gap Between PS4 And Xbox One Has Become A Canyon"

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 16:59 
SupaMod
User avatar
"Praisebot"

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 12960
Location: Parts unknown
zaphod79 wrote:
I think this sorta fits here better than just in BnB

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/ ... 0e79e579c1

An interesting article on whats going wrong for Microsoft right now

"The Exclusive Gap Between PS4 And Xbox One Has Become A Canyon"


I can't see much wrong with that article and indeed, I was trying to think of Xbox One games that I was looking forward too and I could only think of Crackdown 3 and Cuphead. Is Cuphead an exclusive? I can't remember now.

So that's 2 games in a year that I'm looking forward. It's no wonder I'm so excited about the Switch.

It does seem that every game I see on Twitter or the internet are PS4 exclusives and the last straw came the other month when I saw that Windjammers was coming to the PS4... No mention of the Xbox One. Instead we get World Heroes and NeoTurf Masters for nearly £7 each (I'm not knocking Neo Turf Masters by the way, I think it's excellent)

I'm not sure what the answer is here but the Xbox One is so far behind where the Xbox 360 was it's untrue.

**Edit** I've just looked at a comparative time frame for the 360 and at this time in the Xbox Ones life, the fourth year after it was released, (2009) we had such releases as Bayonetta, Halo Wars, Arkham Asylum, Left 4 Dead 2, Band Hero, Assasins Creed 2 and GTA: Episodes from Liberty City. This year on the Xbox One we've got Halo Wars 2, Crackdown 3 and Sea of Thieves.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 17:06 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 29079
zaphod79 wrote:
"The Exclusive Gap Between PS4 And Xbox One Has Become A Canyon"

Yes, I read this a few days ago and thought it made a strong case. I loved the 360 but I have very close to zero interest in an Xbox One, even though Scorpio looks like a great piece of hardware. Surely the X1 is the biggest inter-generation fall-from-grace for a console platform? It was Microsoft's game to lose. It might be worse than when Sony bungled every single aspect of the launch of the PS3, because at least the PS3 eventually came good.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 17:13 
SupaMod
User avatar
"Praisebot"

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 12960
Location: Parts unknown
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
"The Exclusive Gap Between PS4 And Xbox One Has Become A Canyon"

Yes, I read this a few days ago and thought it made a strong case. I loved the 360 but I have very close to zero interest in an Xbox One, even though Scorpio looks like a great piece of hardware. Surely the X1 is the biggest inter-generation fall-from-grace for a console platform? It was Microsoft's game to lose. It might be worse than when Sony bungled every single aspect of the launch of the PS3, because at least the PS3 eventually came good.


How long did it take for the PS3 to come good though? Maybe the Xbox One will eventually? I hope it does. I want to like the console, I really do, but I struggle to sell it to anyone.

A neighbour bought his daughter an Xbox One over Christmas and we had a brief chat about it. He asked me what games I'd recommend and I got as far as Rocket League and that was it!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 17:16 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 47516
Location: Nottingham
TheVision wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
"The Exclusive Gap Between PS4 And Xbox One Has Become A Canyon"

Yes, I read this a few days ago and thought it made a strong case. I loved the 360 but I have very close to zero interest in an Xbox One, even though Scorpio looks like a great piece of hardware. Surely the X1 is the biggest inter-generation fall-from-grace for a console platform? It was Microsoft's game to lose. It might be worse than when Sony bungled every single aspect of the launch of the PS3, because at least the PS3 eventually came good.


How long did it take for the PS3 to come good though?

I would say from 3 years onwards it stopped being a figure of fun. It was arguably the better console for the last 2-3 years of the generation.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 17:19 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 8227
Lonewolves wrote:
TheVision wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
"The Exclusive Gap Between PS4 And Xbox One Has Become A Canyon"

Yes, I read this a few days ago and thought it made a strong case. I loved the 360 but I have very close to zero interest in an Xbox One, even though Scorpio looks like a great piece of hardware. Surely the X1 is the biggest inter-generation fall-from-grace for a console platform? It was Microsoft's game to lose. It might be worse than when Sony bungled every single aspect of the launch of the PS3, because at least the PS3 eventually came good.


How long did it take for the PS3 to come good though?

I would say from 3 years onwards it stopped being a figure of fun. It was arguably the better console for the last 2-3 years of the generation.


It was permanently hindered by the overall shitness of the PS3 controllers. Despite my utter hatred of all the (now walked back) shite aspects of Xbone when it was first announced, if Sony hadn't massively improved the controllers I would still have seriously considered an Xbone for that one reason.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 17:20 
SupaMod
User avatar
"Praisebot"

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 12960
Location: Parts unknown
Lonewolves wrote:
TheVision wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
"The Exclusive Gap Between PS4 And Xbox One Has Become A Canyon"

Yes, I read this a few days ago and thought it made a strong case. I loved the 360 but I have very close to zero interest in an Xbox One, even though Scorpio looks like a great piece of hardware. Surely the X1 is the biggest inter-generation fall-from-grace for a console platform? It was Microsoft's game to lose. It might be worse than when Sony bungled every single aspect of the launch of the PS3, because at least the PS3 eventually came good.


How long did it take for the PS3 to come good though?

I would say from 3 years onwards it stopped being a figure of fun. It was arguably the better console for the last 2-3 years of the generation.


So maybe there's still hope for the Xbox One yet? You never know, people might like to watch games not load for no reason at all or to have their controllers disconnect for a few seconds... for no reason at all... and what about the controllers sometimes "forgetting" they're synced to the console when you turn it on? Yep. A killer feature that people might like!

Seriously, all these things have happened to me. Annoying.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 17:22 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 29079
Bamba wrote:
It was permanently hindered by the overall shitness of the PS3 controllers. Despite my utter hatred of all the (now walked back) shite aspects of Xbone when it was first announced, if Sony hadn't massively improved the controllers I would still have seriously considered an Xbone for that one reason.

I concur with this. PS3 was just barely my preferred platform for the last year or two of the last generation (I bought GTA for PS3 rather than 360, for example), but that was very much despite the pads. I really like the PS4 ones though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 17:26 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 47516
Location: Nottingham
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Bamba wrote:
It was permanently hindered by the overall shitness of the PS3 controllers. Despite my utter hatred of all the (now walked back) shite aspects of Xbone when it was first announced, if Sony hadn't massively improved the controllers I would still have seriously considered an Xbone for that one reason.

I concur with this. PS3 was just barely my preferred platform for the last year or two of the last generation (I bought GTA for PS3 rather than 360, for example), but that was very much despite the pads. I really like the PS4 ones though.

Same same same.

What killed the 360 for me was the last dashboard revision and the shoving of HUGE VIDEO ADS in my face all the time and paying a sub for the pleasure. Microsoft got very lazy last gen because they were so far ahead for so long. Sony got the momentum back in the last few years of last gen and ran with it.

Saying that, there's a danger Sony do the same thing next gen as they're now head and shoulders above MS.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 17:30 
User avatar

Joined: 23rd Sep, 2010
Posts: 678
TheVision wrote:
So maybe there's still hope for the Xbox One yet? You never know, people might like to watch games not load for no reason at all or to have their controllers disconnect for a few seconds... for no reason at all... and what about the controllers sometimes "forgetting" they're synced to the console when you turn it on? Yep. A killer feature that people might like!

Seriously, all these things have happened to me. Annoying.

Really? Worst I've had happen was once when the A button stopped working on the menu screen - disconnecting and reconnecting the power fixed that though.

On the talk of Exclusives, since Microsoft started the "Xbox Play Anywhere" thing, my Xbox just spends most of its time gathering dust - I don't care much for the game 'looking better' or anything, but I'm used to playing games mostly on the PC now, (As most of my friends have either stopped playing or moved to PS4) so if they're on the PC that's where I'm going to buy them. I like the idea of it of course, but it doesn't seem like a great way to sell hardware.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 17:34 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 47516
Location: Nottingham
Cookie197 wrote:
On the talk of Exclusives, since Microsoft started the "Xbox Play Anywhere" thing, my Xbox just spends most of its time gathering dust - I don't care much for the game 'looking better' or anything, but I'm used to playing games mostly on the PC now, (As most of my friends have either stopped playing or moved to PS4) so if they're on the PC that's where I'm going to buy them. I like the idea of it of course, but it doesn't seem like a great way to sell hardware.

I suspect next-gen for MS will be small form-factor PCs that are Xbox branded, much like the Steam Machines. I don't think they'll do another console.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 17:35 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 29079
Lonewolves wrote:
I suspect next-gen for MS will be small form-factor PCs that are Xbox branded, much like the Steam Machines. I don't think they'll do another console.

Well, maybe. I thought this. But then if that's true, why does Scorpio exist? Unless it's just MS shipping the org chart, I suppose.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 17:42 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 47516
Location: Nottingham
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
I suspect next-gen for MS will be small form-factor PCs that are Xbox branded, much like the Steam Machines. I don't think they'll do another console.

Well, maybe. I thought this. But then if that's true, why does Scorpio exist? Unless it's just MS shipping the org chart, I suppose.

I have given up trying to second guess Microsoft these days.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 17:49 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 41557
Location: The erogenous zone
The 360 was superb. Especially the online Bezzie element. I was only drawn to a (cheap 2nd hand) PS3 to mop up some exclusives, just as it became a brilliant console itself.

This generation though, like the Doc said, the Xbone just hasn't interested me at all. Initially I was put off by the OMFG YOU CANT PLAY 2ND HAND GAMES!!! but my interest never recovered when that turned out to be bullshit.

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 17:49 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 41557
Location: The erogenous zone
WTF is Scorpio?

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 17:53 
User avatar
Comfortably Dumb

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 9278
Location: Sunny Stoke
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Bamba wrote:
It was permanently hindered by the overall shitness of the PS3 controllers. Despite my utter hatred of all the (now walked back) shite aspects of Xbone when it was first announced, if Sony hadn't massively improved the controllers I would still have seriously considered an Xbone for that one reason.

I concur with this. PS3 was just barely my preferred platform for the last year or two of the last generation (I bought GTA for PS3 rather than 360, for example), but that was very much despite the pads. I really like the PS4 ones though.


I hammered the 360 as I got it before the PS3. However, since buying the PS3, I've pretty much only used it to play blu-rays, as there were no particular games I wanted to play on the PS3 and I was so used to the 360 controller, that the PS3 pad felt like a step backwards.

That said, when it came to a console making way under the TV to house the Saturn I recently bought, it was the 360 that went - it's just far too noisy to use now, so I just never turn it on. Even after I cleaned out the console, it only seemed to get louder.

With the PS4/Xbox One though, it had initially seemed fairly even, but now with VR and the better releases, I see no reason to get an Xbox One at all now, so it'll be a PS4 at some point in hte future for me.

_________________
Consolemad
Curse, the day is long
Realise you don't belong


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 1750 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Columbo, Pod People, The Greys, Vogons and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.