Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:28 
Hello Hello Hello

Aye it's a fair wedge of cash for a gamepad, but then again you'd expect to get hundreds of hours of use out of it.

The normal 360 pads definitely wear out in time, whereas this thing is supposed to be borderline indestructible.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:09 
Unpossible!

Said the Titanic shipbuilders

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:28 
Excellent Member

MS are pushing out Windows 10 look and feel to Xbox One on 12th November.

Also will play 100 or more 360 games with more to follow

Quote:
Mate of mine has just got himself one of those new Elite controllers that cost £120, and says it's absolute pure sex.

Where did he get his from, can't find any for sale in the UK?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:31 

I imagine that despite the thing costing £120, the d-pad is still going to be cack.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:34 
Gogmagog

lasermink wrote:
I imagine that despite the thing costing £120, the d-pad is still going to be cack.

HOW FUCKING MUCH?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:48 
Hello Hello Hello

asfish wrote:

Where did he get his from, can't find any for sale in the UK?

He had it on some sort of preorder from MS I believe.

Amusingly, he doesn't even play on his XBox that much (too much disposable income....), but my other chum here who is mega into Destiny at the moment offered to give him ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY POUNDS for it, so desperate is he to get one and they're not on sale anywhere.

Chum #1 has sold it to him for £120, as he felt it would be unfair to take the £140.

But yeah, Chum #2 really did offer to give him £140, for a gamepad.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:09 

To be honest this makes a lot more sense than some of the completely useless and irrelevant tat that gets peddled to people in other hobbies. I've seen bicycle riders talking about special fucking seat posts or golfers buying £200 putters. It's not for me as I don't play games enough but spending a bit on a controller if it feels nicer than a normal one doesn't seem so insane in that context.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:11 
UltraMod

I didn't think anything would make the 20th anniversary grey PS4 controllers look like a bargain but here we are.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:13 
Gogmagog

Some seatposts are better than others. You have to consider the material it is made from, how it attaches the saddle, the amount of throwback and range of adjustment of saddle position. Then you have hydraulic dropped seat posts to raise and lower the saddle from a switch on the bars and all sorts.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:19 
Excellent Member

If spending money on a control pad is fine for an avid gamer, I don't understand why doing the same on a putter is different for a golfer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:21 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
If spending money on a control pad is fine for an avid gamer, I don't understand why doing the same on a putter is different for a golfer.

I don't either really. Mark's post doesn't make any real sense. I blame a lack of beard.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:41 

Bamba wrote:

I was simply saying that it doesn't seem a particularly amazing amount of money for someone to spend on their hobby when it's something that might actually make a difference to the experience even if only a slight one, in a way that a carbon fibre seat post or equally expensive putter probably won't even.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:47 
UltraMod

£200 is nothing for a putter if you're massively into golf. It's the club that gets the ball into the hole after all!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:55 
Excellent Member

markg wrote:
Bamba wrote:

I was simply saying that it doesn't seem a particularly amazing amount of money for someone to spend on their hobby when it's something that might actually make a difference to the experience even if only a slight one, in a way that a carbon fibre seat post or equally expensive putter probably won't even.

I agree with the general point, I suppose I just don't think a golf club is a very good example because to me that seems like something which could make a difference to your performance and is genuinely worth spending decent money on.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:59 

Really expensive putters are pretty much just marketing bullshit, though. It might make you feel good/give more confidence but that'll be about it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 15:27 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
markg wrote:
Bamba wrote:

I agree with the general point, I suppose I just don't think a golf club is a very good example because to me that seems like something which could make a difference to your performance and is genuinely worth spending decent money on.

But a good pad could improve your video gaming, right?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 15:32 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:
markg wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Well, yeah; I don't think I've claimed otherwise have I?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 15:39 
Bad Girl

It's got neat paddles on the back and the inputs are crazy customisable via the dashboard, yo. It's not just a prettied up controller.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 15:43 

MarkG should have gone with audiophiles rather than golf clubs, I think.

Grim... wrote:

If by "improve" you mean "be more comfortable", yes, of course. If I sold you a £5 that was covered in raxor blades you'd probably not be happy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 15:43 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:
markg wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Does that not make a golf club a good example, then?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 15:44 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
It's got neat paddles on the back and the inputs are crazy customisable via the dashboard, yo. It's not just a prettied up controller.

I'm sure customising inputs was a feature added in general for all controllers in a recent dashboard update? Assuming you're talking about switching buttons around.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 15:46 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:
markg wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Of something that can't improve your performance? No.

I honestly don't know what you think I've been trying to say here?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 15:51 
Bad Girl

Bamba wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

I'm sure customising inputs was a feature added in general for all controllers in a recent dashboard update? Assuming you're talking about switching buttons around.

Nah, it goes much deeper than swapping buttons about.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 15:55 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MarkG should have gone with audiophiles rather than golf clubs, I think.

Probably, although I play golf so it sprang to mind. Of course decent clubs can help your game but then it's all down to you, buying a crazy-expensive putter won't really make you any better at putting.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 15:56 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:
markg wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Of something that can't improve your performance? No.

Everyone agrees!

Now fuck off, I'm busy writing Myp's gaming calendar.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 18:32 
Excellent Member

This controller costs as much as 2 of the small bottles of Clarins face cream\day night stuff I have to buy for my fresh faced 35 year old wife each time I go to the EU

So I'm having one :p

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 18:38 
Hello Hello Hello

I'm going to have a hands-on with my mate's and if I like it I'll buy one.

It's a lot of money for a gamepad, sure, but considering my current wired 360 pad is literally wearing out through overuse, I can see the benefit of having something like the Elite pad.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 22:18 
Sitting balls-back folder

Well those are two posts that are ripe for innuendo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 23:22 
Hello Hello Hello

Attachment:
bean.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:57 

The Xbox One Is Garbage And The Future Is Bullshit is a rather funny little write-up about modern console gaming. The bit about (possibly) having to buy special cables to update the effin controllers just to get them to work is particularly choice. I hope the PS4 owners out there are having a better time*.

* Because I am eyeing one of those after the recent price cut.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:38 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

That's actually quite funny and perfectly timed as I'm going to be buying one this Friday.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:44 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

lasermink wrote:
The bit about (possibly) having to buy special cables to update the effin controllers just to get them to work is particularly choice. I hope the PS4 owners out there are having a better time*.

A lot of the complaints here could apply to the PS4 as well :

Large system and game patches from day 1
Games must be installed
Some people have problems with ejecting disks
Multiple 'off' modes only one of which actually turns the thing off

A few differences between the Xbox and the PS4 though :

Patches can be skipped or ignored if you want (you cant play online without a patched version but you can play the game without patching or while you wait for patches to download)
Installation on the PS4 is quick , typically installing from a disk will just be a few seconds until it gets to the point where you can start the game up
The PS4 comes with a cable so although there are no firmware patches for the controllers (yet) if you had to update one there is a industry standard cable included in the box and you can connect up the controller to the system (*)

(*) Actually this is quite a big thing for the PS4 and something that is not really shouted about but :

The main power cable for the system is a simple figure of 8 plug , something goes wrong / it gets damaged / you need a spare you can pick one up from the pound shop - oh and there is no large ugly power brick - its just that single cable to the unit.

The controllers port for connection and power is a standard microusb cable - want a longer one - you've lost your original - use any standard cable

The controllers port for audio is a standard jack on the bottom of the controller - you get a cheap crappy headset (which works) or you can use just about any headset (including the one which came with your phone)

The hard drive on the system is a standard laptop drive - want a bigger one / faster one / SSD - then slide off the top and take out one screw and you can replace it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:48 
Gogmagog

I bet you can play a cd on the XBone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:03 
Paws for thought

You can indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:07 
Awesome
Yes

What's a CD, Grandad?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Russell wrote:
What's a CD, Grandad?

They're the things you're hawking in your signature ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:26 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Doesn't the Xbox one controller have a headset jack on the bottom of it?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:26 
Excellent Member

I don't really game that much on mine, its used mostly for Skype and some Amazon video and Youtube.

I've not seen any issues with the controller when using it to navigate around though

I also remember getting a cable for the controller when I got mine, that was a "Day One" model and came with the Kinect so maybe they removed this later?

Its a bit crap that you need to use a cable, my Harmony remote started like this but now all the updates are done via the remote, the only thing (I think) you still need a cable for is adding new devices or activities.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:38 
SavyGamer

TheVision wrote:

It has a port to which you can attach an adapter* with a 3.5m port on it.

*sold seperately**

**Because Microsoft are dicks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:41 
Awesome
Yes

Grim... wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
What's a CD, Grandad?

They're the things you're hawking in your signature ;)

I like to cater to the oldies.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:48 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

So this just happened. The pro controller feels glorious! I kind of want to keep it clean but that would involve not using it.

Also, it comes with a headset. A broken headset no less.

I'll take it back in the morning.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:24 

TheVision wrote:

They updated it back in June to include one - since then all new Xboxes come with a controller with a 3.5mm jack next to the original headset one.

zaphod79 wrote:
The hard drive on the system is a standard laptop drive - want a bigger one / faster one / SSD - then slide off the top and take out one screw and you can replace it.

I prefer the way this is done on the Xbox. You don't really get 2.5" drives bigger than 2TB (at least, not in a good price:capacity ratio) so while you can upgrade the drive inside the PS4, you can get a high capacity 3.5" drive for a much better price and just plug it into the Xbox. (Which is technically faster than the internal storage on the Xbox. SATA 3Gbps vs USB 5Gbps) Much easier than replacing the Hard Drive and reinstalling the OS. :p

Also, as far as I can tell the Xbox USB cable is just a normal one - can't quite remember, but I think I might've used my phone cable to update the software on my controller.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 14:23 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I've got my Xbox one and I've been having a mess with it while I should be working. Never mind, I'm sure my boss would understand.

Anyway, the console is good. I like it because it's shiny and new. It's going to take some getting used to compared with the 360 but that's only natural. The Elite controller feels delightful but I'm scared I'll damage it! I want to keep it nice but the rubberised covering doesn't feel like it will last with my hands rubbing against it all the time.

The controller does have a 3.5mm jack which is ace for using headphones and not waking the children up.

The interface on the actual console is a little clunky, but I guess I'll get used to it. I'm going to enjoy using the screenshot/video features though. I don't quite understand the snap feature yet. It seems quite prominent.

So far I've played Halo 5. After a massive install that's taken up 7% of my drive, I started playing it. It's starts with a cut scene where you're jumping and shooting and generally kicking ass... It's ace, but it should have been me playing it. Not watching it. Regardless of this, it's Halo and it's brilliant.

I'm just installing the Rare replay collection now. Once that's done, I'll probably go back to work.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 14:24 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Cookie197 wrote:

Also, as far as I can tell the Xbox USB cable is just a normal one - can't quite remember, but I think I might've used my phone cable to update the software on my controller.

It is indeed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 14:39 
Bad Girl

TheVision wrote:
I'm going to enjoy using the screenshot/video features though.

This is about the best feature of modern consoles. Well, uploading videos to youtube not the screenshot feature which I don't think I've ever used except by accident as I can never remember how to press the Share button on PS4. Short hold, long hold, click, press with left hand, press with right hand or smash knob on controller.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 14:42 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I'm going to bombard you all with screenshots. Just you wait.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 14:48 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
TheVision wrote:
I'm going to enjoy using the screenshot/video features though.

This is about the best feature of modern consoles. Well, uploading videos to youtube not the screenshot feature which I don't think I've ever used except by accident as I can never remember how to press the Share button on PS4. Short hold, long hold, click, press with left hand, press with right hand or smash knob on controller.

You'll have been taking them unknowlingly every time you get a trophy. Although the trophies in PS4 games somehow manage to pop at times that give the shittest and most pointless screengrabs known to man.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 13:19 
Sitting balls-back folder

TheVision wrote:
Cookie197 wrote:

It is indeed.

Yep. Anyone that can't figure that out, or doesn't have one lying around, probably shouldn't be doing this unattended - and probably has no idea they can or why they would anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:00 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

So it seems that I have just purchased one of these (along with a large amount of other stuff)...just so I have something to mess around with when I get back for Christmas.

(Roll on the 19th Dec)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:06 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Do I have you on my friends list I wonder?

I'm TheXboxVision.

Reply to topic  [ 2593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 52  Next