Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 0:29 
Chinny chin chin

Grim... wrote:
Ha! That's brilliant! I especially loved Kalmar vision :D

Laziest use of Holomatrix ever - http://www.redgiant.com/products/all/holomatrix/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:02 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Hey that didnt take long did it ...

http://www.geek.com/games/swear-in-a-pr ... e-1578227/

Quote:
Swear in a private Xbox One Skype call, get banned from Xbox Live

The Xbox One is finally here, and with it begins an era of bug-free gaming and flawless online services. Actually, only the first part of that is correct. In the latest hiccup surrounding the launch of the Xbox One, owners are reporting that after using some salty language in Skype calls and gameplay videos, they have been banned from the apps.

The Xbox One subreddit and the official Xbox forums are starting to collect complaints from users who were in private Skype calls where they cursed only to later find they had been temporarily banned from Skype on the Xbox. The error message advises them to “Choose something else to play” because of their past behavior. The same goes for Microsoft’s upload Studio, which is used to share gameplay videos, though reports of this are currently less common.

According to affected users, the bans seem to be lifted after 24 hours, but what gives? Is Microsoft forging ahead into a more puritanical era of gaming? While it might be nice to play Xbox Live without having your mother’s moral turpitude discussed on a regular basis, this is probably a mistake. The error message has some odd syntax and wording, so it might have been intended for use in games when harassment or abuse has taken place.

Temporarily banner gamers who contacted Microsoft about the bans were told their Live accounts were in good standing. Indeed, there is nothing in the Xbox terms that prohibits mature language in Skype or gameplay videos. Still, it raises the question, how closely is Microsoft listening to what you say?

A lot of games contain some pretty adult language too. Microsoft has yet to respond to the issue, but you might want to be on your best behavior in the meantime.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:09 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

They should start a game with swearing and record the swearing to see what happens!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:41 
Sitting balls-back folder

Grim... wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
It's not remotely like Forza 4.

What an absurd thing to say. Does it not have cars you can buy in it?
yes. Except ALL the track and car dlc was under 60 quid. You're being a bit silly, Grim... - this is a significant turn for the worse. Picking up pace on the slope now, must be winter.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:20 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

People that buy the £60 car are silly.

But they will :(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:23 
UltraMod

It's the lack of tracks that concerns me. Maple Valley IS Forza, in my mind.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:27 
Sitting balls-back folder

And there's the strapline. Only £98, buy little Johnny Maple Valley for Christmas! It's that or throw the whole broken kaboodle out and you wouldn't do that because you'd be a bad parent! You're not a bad parent, are you? Sorry, too long, £103!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:37 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:
People that buy the £60 car are silly.

But they will :(

The fact there's a £60 car in there isn't really in the issue, it's the fact that to unlock it in 'normal gameplay' is so ridiculously grindy and long-winded that's a problem.

WoW is full of stupidly expensive special mounts and pets and what have you, the key point is that all of these things are cosmetic, they make no difference to the gameplay whatsoever and are 100% optional, you're not missing anything if you don't have them.

If Forza 5 was selling special custom paintjobs for this car or the ability to put your name on the bonnet or some shit like that, I don't think anyone would have a problem with it, it's selling the car itself that stinks.

I'm not even sure I'd call it DLC or 'on disc DLC' or anything like that either, it's nothing more than taking a chunk of the base game and spitefully locking it behind a paywall. By all accounts GT6 is going to pull the same sort of shit too.

To me DLC is stuff that comes on top of a whole complete game you've bought, like the GTAIV expansions or the Dishonored extra campaigns or Burny Pee's extra island. This isn't DLC, this is just cynical robbery.

I recently bought the MEGA SUPER PREMIUM EDITION of BF4 but I don't mind that, the base game is whole, it's complete, and I know that DICE will give me five full expansions for the extra expense, it's a fair deal, an honest transaction.

Forza 5 is gouging.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:48 
Bad Girl

Must...resist...urge...to...agree...Hnnngh!

EDIT: Not that I've played it mind, I must make that very clear, but all this money grabbing stuff sounds horrible.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:58 
Excellent Member

Apparently they've shoehorned micro-transations into a few of the launch games (Ryse, Forza, Crimson Dragon, Lococycle, & Powerstar Golf) which is both depressingly predictable and just flat-out depressing. Welcome to the new generation!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:13 
Paws for thought

Bamba wrote:
Apparently they've shoehorned micro-transations into a few of the launch games (Ryse, Forza, Crimson Dragon, Lococycle, & Powerstar Golf) which is both depressingly predictable and just flat-out depressing. Welcome to the new generation!

Just one.reason.why buying stuff at launch is something of a duff idea.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:36 
Ready for action

That sounds incredibly rubbish, I hate being forced to grind in a game never mind it being made exponentially harder than in previous games just to try and make me spend more money. That's a horrible strategy for customers.
The skype thing is a bit concerning is well, how does that even work? Do they have some sort of program that picks up key words in Skype calls and highlight if they're spoken?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:38 

I'm somewhat dubious about the Skype claims.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:44 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

markg wrote:
I'm somewhat dubious about the Skype claims.

:this: There's no way that they could monitor every single Skype call surely? It sounds like an error I reckon.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:50 
UltraMod

It's possible that all audio is sent back to Microsoft's servers and automatically checked via algorithms for certain words.

I can see why it'd be a good idea for blocking abusive CoD twats, but for private Skype calls it's a bit draconian even by their standards.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:53 
Excellent Member

I read that the blocked users hasn't actually swore in a Skype chat but had uploaded a video via their Xbone which had swearing in it (which is against the ToS because these videos are pretty much publically accessible) and that resulted in a block to their Gold account. As Skype requires Gold that's you locked out of that and anything else that needs online access.

ETA: Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what's going on.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 15:12 
8-Bit Champion

http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/25/xbox-on ... pe-report/

Quote:
Xbox One’s TV integration experiencing difficulty in UK & Europe – report

Xbox One launched in several territories last Friday, including the UK and Europe. However, one small hiccup appears to be causing issues for users connected via the console’s TV pass-through capability.

The ability to connect your cable or set-top box to the console via the HDMI-in pass-through is one of Xbox One’s touted key features. Doing this will allow you to use Kinect as a TV remote and, with supported boxes, allows the console to pull all the programme data and display it on your TV. It also offers voice search, among other features.

According to a report by HDTVset.co.uk, it appears however, that Microsoft didn’t think of one small thing before bringing the feature to the UK and Europe. The console is reportedly running at 60HZ at all times, which is non-issue for games and TV broadcasts in the United States, since the country’s TV broadcast is all in 60HZ. The issue is that in PAL territories, namely the UK and mainland Europe, all TV broadcasts are using a 50HZ system leading into a judder-filled picture, according to the site.

The site notes that the Xbox One uses a method of frame rate conversion – or ‘FRC’ – to be able to display and accept the signal at 50HZ, then display it at 60HZ all the time, which is especially jarring in panning shots or any broadcast with fast action, such as live football.

We have sent over an email to Microsoft for a comment on the matter.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 15:37 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

sdg wrote:
That sounds incredibly rubbish, I hate being forced to grind in a game

Well, now you don't have to ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 16:14 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
sdg wrote:
That sounds incredibly rubbish, I hate being forced to grind in a game

Well, now you don't have to ;)

I've said this before, but I don't mind so much them putting in shortcuts for time-poor, cash-rich people, like GTA Online, for example. I do object to changing the mechanics of the game so that you have to pay extra money to get items in a reasonable timeframe. Forza 5 falls in the latter camp.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 20:02 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

How long would you have to play to unlock everything in the game?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 15:26 
Excellent Member

Bobbyaro wrote:

No idea, I think I read either here or elsewhere that it would take 100 hours of grind to get one car, which you can also buy for £60

Not sure how many cars there are to get, but sure its more that one!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 23:17 
Can you dig it?

asfish wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:

No idea, I think I read either here or elsewhere that it would take 100 hours !

I'm sure they'll try and sell that as incredible value - so many hours of play from your £60 game.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 16:52 
Excellent Member

I'm very happy with mine so far but MS are starting to look like money grabbing fuckers.

Understand the controllers which look 95% the same as the 2 I have for my 360 are encrypted so if I want a 2nd one £45 please.

Also noted that I can download all the big launch titles from the comfort of my own living room. Battlefield 4 is £55.00 to download and £48 from Amazon.

So the download has none of the costs of packaging and it £7 more, it also has no trade in value either! You would think that after the attempt to stop the trade in 2nd hand games that they would give people more reason to opt for the downloads.

Also read they have left out DNLA, something I never used on the 360 but a lot of people did

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 17:08 
SavyGamer

Pretty sure DLNA is supported.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 17:22 
8-Bit Champion

LewieP wrote:
Pretty sure DLNA is supported.

It is according to Kotaku

http://kotaku.com/ps4-vs-xbox-one-the-c ... 1472058236

Quote:
The Xbox One also has DLNA media server compatibility, letting you stream media directly to the console. All of that is wrapped up in nifty multitasking functionality that makes it possible to flip between a game, a Netflix movie and a TV show without losing game progress. It's far from perfect: It's difficult to tell what apps are currently running, you can't adjust the volume while running two apps at once, and the Xbox has a worrying tendency to unceremoniously close games without warning. But hopefully that stuff will be fixed in future software updates

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 17:34 
Excellent Member

Ok so I have a Tonkey Media server on my Theucs, will the Xbox One see that then be able to play the music from it??

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 18:02 
8-Bit Champion

asfish wrote:
Ok so I have a Tonkey Media server on my Theucs, will the Xbox One see that then be able to play the music from it??

I think you mean Twonky and I dont see any reason why not

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 18:05 
Excellent Member

asfish wrote:

According to this, on day one the Xbox One won't let you browse network sources and play stuff from them; you can only 'push' stuff to the console.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 18:12 
8-Bit Champion

Bamba wrote:
asfish wrote:

According to this, on day one the Xbox One won't let you browse network sources and play stuff from them; you can only 'push' stuff to the console.

Ahh , thats why the confusion and that Microsoft can say "yes it supports it" when people are saying it doesnt.

So the answer is that its such a faf it might as well not support it on day 1 but it will have a simpler way 'soon'

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 18:18 
8-Bit Champion

Xbox One Vs PS4 on how long it takes to install a game :

http://kotaku.com/installing-xbox-one-g ... 1471191836

Quote:
Both the Xbox One and PS4 require all games to be installed from the disc, due to the increasing size of games and the relatively low speed of optical drives. So both consoles have a feature that allows you to launch a game as soon as enough content is installed to begin running it, while the rest of the data continues to install in the background. Our test was how long it takes to launch the game from the time you insert a disc, with a normal console connected to the internet.

Quote:
We tested six multiplatform games on both consoles and every time, the PS4 was under a minute while the Xbox One install was several minutes long and required downloading an update before beginning the installation. When you include downloading those updates for each Xbox One game that happen in the background on PS4, the install times can get as high as fifteen minutes before you can even launch the game

Some sample numbers

Quote:
Assassin's Creed IV:
Xbox One (offline, no update): 5 minutes 50 seconds
Xbox One (with update, fastest connection): 7 minutes 2 seconds
Xbox One (with update, 10Mbps connection): 10 minutes 32 seconds
PS4: 42 seconds

Need For Speed Rivals:
XBO: 09:25 (including update)
PS4: 00:32

Just Dance 2014:
XBO: 08:48 (including update)
PS4: 00:45

NBA Live 14:
XBO: 16:26 (including update)
PS4: 00:35

FIFA 14:
XBO: 16:06 (including update)
PS4: 00:34

Madden 25:
XBO: 9:38 (including update)
PS4: 00:38

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 18:26 
Excellent Member

Installing games has always been a pain in the ass but I can't say I really care about this. It's a one-off problem per game and having got home with a new game I'm used to sticking the disc in to install while I'm having dinner or something.

That said I am surprised at the time difference there. Assuming both consoles are doing a full install to disk, I'd have thought they'd both be constrained by the presumably constant amount of time it takes to read data from an optical drive and write it to a HDD. Anyone know why there'd be such a massive variance even when the Xbox isn't have to download an update?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 19:03 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

asfish wrote:
So the download has none of the costs of packaging and it £7 more, it also has no trade in value either! You would think that after the attempt to stop the trade in 2nd hand games that they would give people more reason to opt for the downloads.

Can you play the physical one without the disk in the drive (once you've installed it, obv)?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 20:46 

Bamba wrote:
Anyone know why there'd be such a massive variance even when the Xbox isn't have to download an update?
I suspect the X1 is doing a full upfront install, while the PS4 is doing a streamed partial install that continues to copy further stuff in the background as you play.

Grim... wrote:
Can you play the physical one without the disk in the drive (once you've installed it, obv)?

No, as you know. Do you really value that so much as to pay £7+ on each and every game?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 20:53 
8-Bit Champion

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Anyone know why there'd be such a massive variance even when the Xbox isn't have to download an update?
I suspect the X1 is doing a full upfront install, while the PS4 is doing a streamed partial install that continues to copy further stuff in the background as you play.

Actually they are both doing a partial install - just enough to get the game going and that's what they were measuring - on both systems 'non downloaded' sections are blocked out of the menu options - just the Xbox is taking 15 / 16 x the amount of time to get it to that playable state.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 21:03 
SavyGamer

The Kotaku write up said that on Xbox after the initial partial load, on Xbox One sometimes certain options/modes are greyed out until the full install has completed, whereas on the same games on PS4, everything is available.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 21:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:

No, as you know.

I'm not going to be overly surprised if they'd changed their minds again.

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Do you really value that so much as to pay £7+ on each and every game?

Yeah, easily.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:49 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Yeah, easily.

:this:

I bought BF4 on Origin even though I knew it cost more than buying the game on disc from GAME, and BF4 doesn't even need the disc in the drive to play it once it's installed.

I just don't do discs anymore, I really don't. (And shops, if I can help it.)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:51 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The removal of this feature is why I cancelled my XBone pre-order. So thanks for ruining that, you whinging Internet shits.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:53 
8-Bit Champion

Xbox One games and metacritic numbers from here :

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/ ... /metascore

Quote:
FIFA 14 87
NBA 2K14 84
Forza Motorsport 5 82
Call of Duty: Ghosts 78
Dead Rising 3 78
Need for Speed: Rivals 75
Madden NFL 25 75
Killer Instinct 73
Powerstar Golf 68
Zoo Tycoon 68
Ryse: Son of Rome 60
Crimson Dragon 57
LocoCycle 50
Fighter Within 27

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:16 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
The removal of this feature is why I cancelled my XBone pre-order. So thanks for ruining that, you whinging Internet shits.

It feels good to be able to save people from themselves.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:18 
UltraMod

I saved myself from myself!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:28 
Excellent Member

Why in the name of fuck would anyone even bother releasing shite like this? It really does just boggle the mind.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:30 
SavyGamer

It will definitely make a profit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:35 
8-Bit Champion

Bamba wrote:
Why in the name of fuck would anyone even bother releasing shite like this? It really does just boggle the mind.

Because there are only 14 games available so being one of those fourteen means it will sell copies to people desperate to play anything

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 14:12 
Bad Girl

And I played on one of these as well.

Dead Riding 3 was ooooook. There were swathes of zombies and no loading going indoors, which was pretty cool if uninspiring. It was pretty cool going into a barbers and having zombies falling through the window following me. I didn't get going on the story as I was just messing about with it. My mate showed me the iPad app that syncs up with the game shows missions, the map and the time until the end. It looks like they've kept the clock stuff from previous games which, if you ask me, was a very good idea. The main character was a bit of a nonentity; he looked like a car mechanic of some such. Oh, driving the vehicles around town was pretty cool, it might speed up going one area to the next. I never saw much fun stuff about though; it was a bit bland with boxes, benches, nail guns, lawn mowers and a load of stuff you've seen before. You all know it's dropped the crazy for a real world environment already but definitely didn't work in its favour. It was the one game I was interested in but a brief spell on it has sucked any interest out for me.

Talking of which, with a load of noise in the background, old XBONE refused to listen to any commands including Xbox On. It wasn't very impressive.

Battlefield 4 however was bloody ace fun. It didn't look pretty (very very boxy environments) but when you're in the action you totally forgive it as a helicopter drops out the sky killing a load of folk. Yeah, this was the one game that I really liked and I'm gutted I won't be able to play on XBONE or ps4.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 18:46 
Hello Hello Hello

Saturnalian wrote:
Battlefield 4 however was bloody ace fun. It didn't look pretty (very very boxy environments) but when you're in the action you totally forgive it as a helicopter drops out the sky killing a load of folk. Yeah, this was the one game that I really liked and I'm gutted I won't be able to play on XBONE or ps4.

BF4 doesn't look pretty?

It's about the only game in the world that looks more gorgeous than BF3!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 18:49 
Paws for thought

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

BF4 doesn't look pretty?

You should go to Iraq or some other such war zone. I'm sure you'd love it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 18:57 
Hello Hello Hello

Mr Dave wrote:
You should go to Iraq or some other such war zone. I'm sure you'd love it.

Too much actual killing though innit.

I'm an armchair warrior.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 19:51 
Bad Girl

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

BF4 doesn't look pretty?

Killzone looked better. And CoD. BF4 was chaotic fun but, graphically, it still looks a bit rubbish by comparison. Too many boring staircases, flat buildings and stuff.

And the weapon models, an' all, which were decidedly worse than most FPS' I've played.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 20:15 

Grim... wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Yeah, easily.

Why do you own a wall of 360 discs then?

Reply to topic  [ 2593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 52  Next