Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:59 
Excellent Member

Found the best Xbox One game price piss take to date.

Had a look at LEGO Marvel Super Heroes, this morning, after watching some videos clips that other people have posted I quite liked the idea of getting the game.

Its £49.99 to download to the console and £29.99 on Amazon!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-Marvel-Sup ... uperheroes

MS are just taking the piss.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 13:59 
Hello Hello Hello

asfish wrote:

Had a look at LEGO Marvel Super Heroes, this morning, after watching some videos clips that other people have posted I quite liked the idea of getting the game.

Currently £18.74p on Steam :)

You'd be better off with a mid-spec mini-ITX PC under there, more power, more versatile, more functionality, same kind of space/power/noise footprint, Steam's Big Picture Mode + 360 controller, and it'd save you money in the long run as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 14:24 
ugvm'er at heart...

asfish wrote:

It's £52.99 on PSN :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 15:31 
SavyGamer

You're all quoting prices that are not the cheapest place to get them from.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 15:47 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

LewieP wrote:

Although they are all quoting digital 'from the main shop interface' which is just showing how much of a rip off it is.

FYI even using your links the cheapest steam one is £7.33 (digital) and the cheapest PS4 digital is £24.48 (both Amazon US) - whereas for Xbox One the cheapest copy is the full priced one since you cant buy Xbox digital games apart from Xbox.com

You could also pick up physical copies for the next gen consoles for £30 and probably get at least a tenner back selling them on in 6 months

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 15:54 
SavyGamer

zaphod79 wrote:
LewieP wrote:

Although they are all quoting digital 'from the main shop interface' which is just showing how much of a rip off it is.

FYI even using your links the cheapest steam one is £7.33 (digital) and the cheapest PS4 digital is £24.48 (both Amazon US) - whereas for Xbox One the cheapest copy is the full priced one since you cant buy Xbox digital games apart from Xbox.com

You could also pick up physical copies for the next gen consoles for £30 and probably get at least a tenner back selling them on in 6 months

Yep, all the things you've just said were pretty much my point, but I couldn't be arsed typing it out!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 14:14 
Excellent Painter

Had a pretty extensive play on an Xbone over Christmas — my nephew brought his around. I have to say the interface is pretty clunky and slow and definitely feels like a work in progress. Played AC4, Forza etc. Forza looks nice but as usual with games of this ilk, you need to pump hours and hours into them before you get a decent idea of what they're like. AC4 just looked like a 360 game with higher res textures and better draw distance, but still failed miserably with the water splash effects which simply look like he's dispensing puffs of talcum powder.

I know it's early yet, but I wouldn't even consider buying one at the moment, primarily as the interface is so shit — I couldn't even get the thing to play any of the installed games until the thing connected to the internet, and then it required rebooting to get it to work. The interface is a mess.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:02 
8-Bit Champion

January's sales numbers are out for the US and the PS4 sold 'almost double' the number of consoles that the Xbox one did.

However Microsoft's PR know what to do !

http://news.xbox.com/2014/02/xbox-one-january-npd

Quote:
Xbox Leads US Software Game Sales in January, Nearly 740 Million Hours of Fun Since Launch

Quote:
We are incredibly humbled and proud to see Xbox One continue to be the best launch of an Xbox in our history

Quote:
January NPD Group figures released today revealed Xbox* sold the most games across all console platforms in January

Quote:
*Across Xbox One and Xbox 360

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... last-month

Quote:
PS4 sold nearly double Xbox One in US last month

Sony has boasted of impressive sales for PlayStation 4 in the US last month, where it outsold Xbox One by nearly two-to-one.

This, Sony claimed, despite stock of the console still being "severely constrained".

New figures from NPD (thanks, VentureBeat) show Sony's advantage reflected in software sales, too - new release Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition sold twice as many copies on PS4 than on Xbox One.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 21:15 
Bad Girl

One album wonder and overrated hip hop rapping guy, Nas, is doing an exclusive xbox dramamentory.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/m/index.php?s=news&id=27515

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 22:37 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
One album wonder and overrated hip hop rapping guy, Nas, is doing an exclusive xbox dramamentory.

His first two albums were really good to be fair.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 14:34 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

http://www.businessinsider.com/things-are-looking-pretty-bad-for-microsofts-xbox-one-2014-2
Quote:
Microsoft may have a problem on its hands. Not Windows 8, but its latest video-game console, the Xbox One. Based on recent sales data, rival Sony's PlayStation 4 is significantly outselling Microsoft's offering -- in the U.S., at a rate of 2-to-1.

While a poorly selling Xbox One isn't great for Microsoft, investors in Electronic Arts could ultimately be the ones most exposed.

NPD data shows Sony dominating Microsoft
According to research firm NPD, Sony's PlayStation 4 was the top selling video game console in the US during the month of January, edging out Microsoft's Xbox One. VentureBeat puts the figures at around 280,000 for the PlayStation 4 and 145,000 for Microsoft's Xbox One. On a cumulative, global basis, Sony has sold about 5.1 million PlayStation 4s, while Microsoft has sold 3.4 million Xbox Ones, according to data compiled by VGChartz.

The discrepancy is even more notable in light of the fact that Sony still hasn't released the PlayStation 4 in its home market of Japan. At the same time, Sony seems to be struggling with supply constraints, as many retailers in the U.S. have completely sold out of their allotted shipments.

Moreo
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
ver, the PlayStation 4 doesn't even really have any video games worth playing. As new consoles, neither the PlayStation 4 nor the Xbox One has a robust catalog of offerings, but with exclusives like Dead Rising and Killer Instinct, Microsoft's Xbox One seems to have the better lineup.

Why is the Xbox One struggling?
There are myriad of reasons to explain why Microsoft's console isn't selling as well as Sony's. But the most significant by far is the price difference -- at $500, Microsoft's console is a full $100 more expensive than Sony's machine.

That $100 difference is likely due to the inclusion of Microsoft's Kinect, an accessory most core gamers (the sorts of people likely to purchase a console early in its life) don't seem to want. At the same time, Microsoft's console is slightly less powerful than Sony's, resulting in marginally better graphics.

Electronic Arts could be the one most exposed
The Xbox isn't really part of Microsoft's core business, so in that respect, the lack of sales shouldn't really have too much of an effect on Microsoft's bottom line. But one company that could see an impact is Electronic Arts.

Titanfall, arguably Electronic Arts' most anticipated game of the year, will be exclusive to Microsoft's Xbox One platform (it will also be available for the PC and the Xbox 360, but the Xbox One version has received most of the focus) There's also Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare, a game that, like Titanfall, will be exclusive to the Xbox One in terms of next-generation consoles.

With a lesser install base, it's possible that both of these games could be a retail disappointment, failing to generate the sales Electronic Arts had been anticipating.

Still early in the console war
That said, it's still early in the console war. Sony's last console, the PlayStation 3, was a retail disappointment early in its life, as consumers struggled with its high asking price. Ultimately, however, the PlayStation 3 was able to close the gap with Microsoft's Xbox 360, as Sony gradually cut the price and delivered a slate of quality exclusives. Maybe Microsoft will be able to pull off something similar.

Nevertheless, at least for now, Microsoft appears to be far behind.

I didn't realise that about he Japan release! Wow.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 15:01 
SavyGamer

Yeah, Sony deprioritised Japan because Microsoft has no chance whatsoever of contesting their dominance there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 0:11 
Bad Girl

Bamba wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

His first two albums were really good to be fair.

It Was Written was ruined by pop wannabes Trackmasters. Plus the mafioso garbage was disingenuous.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 13:02 
Excellent Member

Good thing Microsoft is losing the sales battle. Serves them right for thinking they have the power to dictate how we play our games.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 13:45 

Well, they do have the power, they make the console and the games. You can choose not to accept that change, as has been the case here, but they do have the power.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 13:53 
UltraMod

Bobbyaro wrote:
Well, they do have the power, they make the console and the games. You can choose not to accept that change, as has been the case here, but they do have the power.

If they truly had the power to do it, then they wouldn't have backtracked all their changes. They believed that the brand was so strong that they could essentially dictate whatever terms they wanted. They were wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 15:06 

What, of course they have the power to change the way you play games, the same way Nintendo do. The way they went about it was poor, and I am glad that people are voting with their wallets, but to say a console and games manufacturer should not attempt to innovate in the way games are designed/produced/played is shooting yourself in the foot.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 15:19 
Excellent Member

Bobbyaro wrote:
What, of course they have the power to change the way you play games, the same way Nintendo do.

They only have the power to do in as much as people will buy their consoles, they only have as much power as their user base gives them. Which was myp's point and which you seem to agree with when you acknowledge that people are voting with their wallets so I'm not sure what you're arguing here?

Bobbyaro wrote:
The way they went about it was poor, and I am glad that people are voting with their wallets, but to say a console and games manufacturer should not attempt to innovate in the way games are designed/produced/played is shooting yourself in the foot.

Has anyone actually said companies shouldn't innovate? 'Controlling distribution through bullshit DRM' isn't the same thing as innovating. Certainly it's got nothing to do with how games are designed and played.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 15:22 

I am talking about this:
RuySan wrote:
Good thing Microsoft is losing the sales battle. Serves them right for thinking they have the power to dictate how we play our games.

DRM does have to do with design, but only tangentially, so fair enough, but to say it is bullshit is unfair. It can be badly implemented, but protecting people's property and rights is not bullshit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 15:36 
Excellent Member

Bobbyaro wrote:
I am talking about this:
RuySan wrote:

DRM does have to do with design, but only tangentially, so fair enough, but to say it is bullshit is unfair. It can be badly implemented, but protecting people's property and rights is not bullshit.

I think you're reading some stuff into RuySan's post that isn't there (or, at least, that I'm not seeing). No one has said there shouldn't be any DRM or that the concept itself is wrong. In this particular instance MS tried to enforce a breath-takingly stupid DRM policy (the 'always on' nonsense) which massively weighted consideration towards the DRM and away from the convenience of their actual paying customers and they got reamed for it. I don't see what's wrong with that or with people being happy that they were taught a lesson in that regard?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 15:47 
I forgot about this - how vain

Hopefully, the 'microtransactions as standard in all MS first party full price games ' is why they are tanking as well.

Jesus wept.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 16:06 
8-Bit Champion

Next 'resolutiongate'

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/44 ... -xbox-one/

Quote:
MGS Ground Zeroes renders at 1080p on PS4, 720p on Xbox One

Konami title is latest to perform better on PlayStation

Konami has confirmed that the PlayStation 4 version of Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes will render natively at a higher resolution than the Xbox One version.

A current gen / next gen comparison article published by Konami mainly focuses on comparing the PS3 and PS4 versions, and the Xbox 360 and Xbox One versions.

However, it also contains a table at the bottom that lists the native rendering resolutions and frame rates for all four versions.

It reveals that the PlayStation 4 version renders at 1080p at 60 frames per second, whereas the Xbox One version renders at 720p at 60 frames per second.

Last week, Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima praised the technical prowess of the PlayStation 4, saying that it was capable of displaying visuals at 1080p at 60 frames per second "with room to spare".

"I think, between the home consoles available in the domestic market, the PS4 is the best," Kojima said in an interview last week. "It's also excellent for graphics, being able to render 1080p at 60fps with room to spare."

"Since it does it a little better than other hardware, the image quality of the PS4 is the most beautiful. It's the closest to the photorealistic quality we are aiming at."

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes will release on March 18 in North America and March 20 in Europe.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 16:13 
UltraMod

We saw this at the beginning of the last gen though, but in reverse. I'm sure eventually they'll be able to get more out of the XBO. Just look at latter-day PS3 stuff, it looked phenomenal.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 16:16 

The PS3 was always said to be powerful but just difficult to work with, not sure that's really the case here.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 16:50 
Unpossible!

If you believe the hype that surrounded the cell architecture when the PS3 came out, the damn thing has INFINITE POWAR and the PS4 is entirely redundant.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 16:50 
Bad Girl

Hideo should stop aiming for photorealistic quality and just aim to make a fun, playable game, with sensible pacing and story.

I doubt we'll see any of these things this generation. Or ever.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 16:57 
Excellent Member

British Nervoso wrote:
We saw this at the beginning of the last gen though, but in reverse. I'm sure eventually they'll be able to get more out of the XBO. Just look at latter-day PS3 stuff, it looked phenomenal.

As markg mentions, is that as likely to happen this time round? The reason for that happening last time was the powerful but difficult to harness architecture of the PS3 chipset. This time round they've gone for a much more straighforward setup on both machines so is there really much hidden power waiting to be unlocked in the XBONE?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 20:19 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I can't think of a single console that belted out its best looking games in the first few months. I'm sure that we'll be seeing more from the Xbox and anyway, who cares about missing a few p's and fps's? *ducks...*

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 21:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

TheVision wrote:
I can't think of a single console that belted out its best looking games in the first few months.

The 360 was fairly consistent throughout, I reckon. There wasn't much that topped Burnout Paradise or Bioshock, IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 21:23 
Unpossible!

The water in gta5 is beautiful. That's what a decade of getting to know a system results in.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 21:26 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
TheVision wrote:
I can't think of a single console that belted out its best looking games in the first few months.

The 360 was fairly consistent throughout, I reckon. There wasn't much that topped Burnout Paradise or Bioshock, IMO.

To be honest the 360 ran out of steam a while back, especially with first party stuff. Gears of War 3 and Halo Reach were the last must-have exclusives IMO.

I have read that the XBO is quite difficult to program for, despite its relatively straightforward hardware. I do believe things will get better with time, but then again so will the PS4 games, so they probably won't close that performance gap.

Vision: the best thing is that the same Xbox fans who were claiming a win every time a multiplatform face-off showed that the 360 was better than the PS3 are now saying that resolution and frame rate don't matter. It's a hilarious cognitive dissonance.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 0:16 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

DavPaz wrote:
The water in gta5 is beautiful. That's what a decade of getting to know a system results in.

Rubbish - that's what eleventy billion dollars and eighty kabillion manhours gets you. And it's still not as nice as the water in Bioshock.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 0:34 
SavyGamer

Microsoft haven't published any worthwhile games ever since kinect came out, aside from stuff that is also available elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

LewieP wrote:
Microsoft haven't published any worthwhile games ever since kinect came out, aside from stuff that is also available elsewhere.

Forza Horizon was great fun.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:04 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
LewieP wrote:

Forza Horizon was great fun.

It was pretty good. Nothing special though, and the only Forza game on the 360 I couldn't be bothered to finish.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 16:01 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Rubbish - that's what eleventy billion dollars and eighty kabillion manhours gets you. And it's still not as nice as the water in Bioshock.

And the water in Skyrim after i tried a certain mod. Well, i don't know how is the water in GTA5, but i know for certain that the Skyrim mod water is better than Bioshock. All of Bioshock actually.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 16:05 
UltraMod

DavPaz wrote:

Yeah it looked fantastic. Shame the framerate dropped to about 5fps when piloting water craft due to the wave effects.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 20:20 

RuySan wrote:
Grim... wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

And the water in Skyrim after i tried a certain mod. Well, i don't know how is the water in GTA5, but i know for certain that the Skyrim mod water is better than Bioshock. All of Bioshock actually.

Big fan of bioshock? :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 15:21 
UltraMod

Price cut to £399 and includes Titanfall for free.

Ouch for those early adopters.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 15:24 
8-Bit Champion

British Nervoso wrote:
Price cut to £399 and includes Titanfall for free.

Ouch for those early adopters.

So thats roughly on par with the PS4 and a game at some retailers (e.g. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 447947.htm PS4 + Killzone for £399)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 15:27 
SavyGamer

Although there are plenty of retailers selling PS4s for less than that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 15:30 
UltraMod

Even at price parity it's not tempting me. No killer app for either Kinect or HDMI in, plus poor performance of multiplatform games leaves it in a relatively poor position currently. Even if you forget all the DRM nonsense previously.

If they were really confident Titanfall would be a system seller, why drop the price before it's even out?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 15:38 
8-Bit Champion

British Nervoso wrote:
Even at price parity it's not tempting me. No killer app for either Kinect or HDMI in, plus poor performance of multiplatform games leaves it in a relatively poor position currently.

And as more and more games come out with seemingly higher specs on the PS4 that's unlikely to change.

They really think that Titanfall is that killer app even though its going to also be available on the 360 and PC

Somewhere in that blurb on various websites is this bit of PR spin

Quote:
"Titanfall is a game that has won more than 80 awards so far, it's incredibly hotly anticipated, and I believe it's a game that people will buy an Xbox One in order to play. But moving forwards if you think about what I think are the three hottest games of the year to come, Titanfall, Watch Dogs and Destiny, the only place you're going to be able to play all three of those games is on Xbox One."

All three of those games are going to be released on the 360 and both Titanfall and Watchdogs will also come out on the PC (there have been rumors of a Destiny PC version but at the moment its consoles only)

British Nervoso wrote:
Even if you forget all the DRM nonsense previously.
If they were really confident Titanfall would be a system seller, why drop the price before it's even out?

I think they are going to shove Titanfall down everyones throats for the next few months and make it seen everything Titanfall related is Xbox One

** edit

Oh and just to keep things in perspective - Xbox one plus titanfall in the US is going to be $499

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-One-Console- ... l%20bundle

So on xe.com that works out at £301 (yes I know tax and whatever else)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 15:47 
Excellent Member

zaphod79 wrote:
All three of those games are going to be released on the 360 and both Titanfall and Watchdogs will also come out on the PC (there have been rumors of a Destiny PC version but at the moment its consoles only)

They could actually capitalise on this while managing not to make themselves look like weirdly lying idiots but just slightly shifting their stance to, "The PS4 is the only place you won't be able to play all these games." As it stands everyone know they're all out on the PC and the 360 which just makes it look like MS has no idea what it's talking about, even when it comes to it's own hardware and publishing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 16:18 
8-Bit Champion

Microsoft are region locking games / DLC ?

http://www.gamepur.com/news/13547-micro ... e-0x8.html

Quote:

Microsoft Quietly Region-Lock "Xbox One Digital Games And DLC", Error Code 0x87de07d1 Reported

It seems like Microsoft has quietly made Xbox One digital games "Region-Lock", it was activated last month and the firm also deleted game licenses from gamertags. Now as a result of this new restriction, download keys bough abroad will no longer work, Xbox One players will receive error message along with this code: "0x87de07d1".

Many Xbox One are facing this error code as they try to redeem their digital game codes, here are few complaints of official Xbox forum:

"I am getting the error code 0x87de07d1 on my digital download copy of Forza 5. I have also seen in other posts that at least 2 other people have this error on Dead Rising 3. This is a digital copy of the game that has worked fine for several weeks. It is now acting as though I do not own the game. I have tried turning the system on/off, switching profiles etc but nothing is helping. In the xbox store Forza 5 is displaying the option to buy for £49.99, where it would usually say Play, as I do own the game. I also have a digital copy of FIFA 14 which is working fine, and displays 'play' in the xbox store, this shows that I am definitely logged into my xbox live gold account. Originally, I only owned Forza 5 on disc, but later purchased the digital download version. However, I have only ever owned the digital version of FIFA 14, I have never owned a disc version of FIFA 14, so maybe this has something to do with why FIFA works fine but Forza doesn't."

Another user who contacted Microsoft support has this to say: "There's definitely a region lock on digital downloads in place, whether that be DLC or full games."

"I've got a UK account and bought a digital copy of Forza 5 on ebay, redeemed it and then about 10 days later it wouldn't load, just giving me the option to buy it again.

After over an hour with xbox live support, I was told "For the Xbox One, that is correct. Discs are region free, so it should be that the codes are the same. This is the reason why we are having it being investigated further my friend. It could be an issue somewhere along the way of redeeming the codes, and should be fixed surely, we can assure you of that."

They passed me on to the 'Advocacy' team, who eventually told me "I was able to figure out that the reason you could not redeem your PPC was because it was intended for another country. When redeeming your token there are two things that need to match up. The country listed on the account must match the country that you are connecting from and the token needs to be for the same country as well."

The resulting advice being "I suggest going back to the person you purchased the game from and inform them that the code he provided you was set for a region other than the U.K."

I asked for clarification on region locking on digital game downloads and was advised "All Xbox digital content is region specific. Due to many international and cultural laws, not all content is available everywhere. "

When I pushed and asked how it was possible to redeem a code, only for it to be later disabled, I was unbelievably told "I can honestly say that it may have been a fluke"

... a FLUKE! what a joke. I'm now stuck trying to get a refund for a game code I've already redeemed.

So, the 0x87de07d1 error on purchased digital download game is due to region locking and the code being from a different region"

All very much at the speculation stage right now but given the way Microsoft have handled things in the past it does not seem out of place

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2014/02/24/ ... n-locking/

http://n4g.com/news/1462288/microsoft-q ... 1-reported

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/537142/2 ... killer.htm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 16:29 
8-Bit Champion

Microsoft PR say that the cloud will deliver 60FPS @ 1080p :-)

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... e-learning

Quote:
Microsoft on Xbox One: some things haven't worked, but we are learning

Microsoft’s UK marketing head Harvey Eagle concedes that aspects of the Xbox One haven’t gone as planned, but says a system update and big E3 announcements will help in the battle against PlayStation 4

Microsoft has learned its lesson from elements of the Xbox One launch that did not work, says Harvey Eagle, the UK marketing head of Xbox. Speaking before the announcement of the Titanfall bundle deal, which will see the sci-fi shooter included with the console, he conceded that aspects of the service, especially its social functionality, need improving.

“I want to be honest: there are some things that haven’t worked as well as they were intended to - we’ve had a lot of feedback from our community about that,” Eagle told the Guardian. “The March system update will improve party chat; it will be turned on by default, you’ll be able to chat with friends across different games, you’ll be able to get to your friends list much faster - that will now be on the homepage of the Friends app.

“We’re also adding an ‘invite friends to game’ option to the multiplayer titles and that will be available within each game’s menu so it’ll be much easier and quicker to set up multiplayer games. The last thing is we’re adding a ‘recent players’ list so you can quickly call up who you recently played with, making it easier to stay in touch and add new friends. All of these things will be implemented in time for Titanfall to make sure it’s the best multiplayer experience it can be.”
Hype and Hype-ability

So far, a key problem has been that Microsoft has had to fight on the backfoot, the victim of a sometimes chaotic pre-launch build up. The machine’s controversial announcement event concentrated on live TV and multimedia functionality rather than games, and its digital-first agenda obfuscated the sharing and selling of software between players.

However, Eagle says that Microsoft has clearly moved on. “The original thinking behind what we did at the time was to make some announcements about the entertainment features that we were building into the box that we felt were unique and special, and then very quickly afterwards move on to gaming,” he said. “We’ve been consistently talking about games since E3 2013, that’s what we’ll carry on doing, reminding people that this is a games console for gamers, that just happens to have some incredible entertainment features built in as well.”

Another much-discussed aspect has been the arrival of ‘paymium’ titles on the Xbox One – full-price games that also offer purchasable items and features in the form of microtransactions. Forza 5 was heavily criticised for its inclusion of an overt in-game real-money mechanic.

“We’re trying out a number of different business models to understand which are best for us and best for gamers,” said Eagle. “You’re not going to get everything right first time – we’re still at the stage of experimenting and trying new things; everything we learn from our community we put into what we do going forward. There is still a huge appetite for big commercial triple A titles if you get it right - look at GTA V. But obviously developers are looking at other ways to monetise and I think that will carry on.

The HD conundrum
There have also been technical questions over the Xbox One hardware, with several early multiplatform titles running in full 1080p HD definition on PlayStation 4, but only 720p resolution on Xbox 360.

“Let’s be clear about this: Xbox One fully supports 1080p at 60 frames-per-second,” said Eagle. “Forza Motosport 5 is an example of a game that delivers on that. It’s up to individual developers to determine what is the best balance in order to deliver the best experience to gamers. No longer can you measure or talk about power in terms of pixels and polygon counts. Performance in this era comes from three areas: hardware, software and the cloud.

The reason the Titanfall beta has been so successful is that it is powered by dedicated servers – that makes the game run smoothly without interruptions. You need to think about what power really means in the next generation.”
So will other developers, outside of exclusive deals and first-party studios, be supported in using Microsoft’s vast server network to ensure multiplayer games run as smoothly?

“We’re committed to allowing developers getting the maximum out of the investment that we’ve made,” said Eagle. “We said at launch that we’d built a server farm of 300,000 dedicated servers to support multiplayer games - it would be foolish of us not to work with developers to ensure they get the maximum from that power.”

As for forthcoming games, Eagle has said that Microsoft understands the importance of original and exclusive content – as well as supporting the indie development community – and predictably promises that more will be announced at the E3 video game exhibition in Los Angeles in June.

“We’ve made some exclusive announcements, including Project Spark, Kinect Sports Rivals and Sunset Overdrive,” he said. “There will also be a significant pipeline of new games coming from Microsoft studios, some of which have been announced, some you’ll hear about at E3.

“Look out for some very exciting game announcements, both from Microsoft studios and also our third-party partners... We’re very excited about E3.”

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 17:16 
Sitting balls-back folder

That's a level of linguistic pedantry that even I wouldn't reach!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 18:08 

Saturday I tried Forza 5 in a kiosk, and it does indeed run at 1080p @ 60fps, and looks very nice.

I think the Xbox One controllers have a cheap feel to them, though. The plastic feels a bit tacky, and they have sort of a sharp edge. I am not very impressed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 17:52 
8-Bit Champion

So knocking £60 off the price and throwing in a big budget title will help you to sell systems - who would have guessed ?

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/xbox-one ... ls/0128757

Quote:

UPDATE: Xbox One Titanfall bundle sells out at GameStop, 365games matches discount
Greg Lockley

UPDATE: Online retailer 365games.co.uk is also offering the console bundle for £369.95.

Whilst listed as currently unavailable, a banner displayed on the store reveals it will match the discounted price tag for the Xbox One Titanfall bundle.

ORIGINAL STORY: GameStop has sold out of its heavily discounted Xbox One Titanfall bundle in under 24 hours.

Following Microsoft's announcement of the Titanfall bundle on Monday, the retailer listed the console online with a price tag of just £369.97 – a £30 discount on the already reduced RRP for Xbox One.

But after just 24 hours on sales the Titanfall bundle is now listed as out of stock. However, GameStop has told MCV that more deals are on the way.

"We will occasionally put irresistible deals on http://www.gamestop.co.uk to surprise and delight our loyal UK customers," said GameStop Europe VP Niall Lawlor.

"This is one such offer. More to come."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 21:33 

zaphod79 wrote:
Quote:
“We’re also adding an ‘invite friends to game’ option to the multiplayer titles and that will be available within each game’s menu so it’ll be much easier and quicker to set up multiplayer games. The last thing is we’re adding a ‘recent players’ list so you can quickly call up who you recently played with, making it easier to stay in touch and add new friends. All of these things will be implemented in time for Titanfall to make sure it’s the best multiplayer experience it can be.”
Hype and Hype-ability

So.... they are adding features to the One that the 360 has had for years?
WOW! So innovative!

Reply to topic  [ 2593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 52  Next