Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 18:26 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/11/06/x ... ame-reboot

Quote:

Xbox One Cloud Updates May Force Mid-Game Reboot

Microsoft has announced the Xbox One will require cloud updates on a regular basis, which could lead to the servers rebooting without warning.

That's according to Xbox Live lead program manager John Bruno, who made the revelation during a presentation at GDC Next yesterday (via IGameReponsibly). Bruno explained that while work has been done to try and prevent the Xbox Live Compute servers rebooting in the middle of a game, Microsoft hasn't managed to eliminate the issue entirely.

"Once in a while, rather frequently actually, the host OS will require an update, meaning the physical machine is going to get rebooted whether your code is running or not," he explained. "That’s a problematic thing for a game, and oftentimes it's in the middle of a multiplayer session. We’ve worked very hard to overcome that, but that’s not to say it’s going to be a reality in every case."

That’s a problematic thing for a game.

The team behind Titanfall has previously spoken about how dependent the game will be on the Xbox One's cloud capabilities. The implication here, therefore, is that whenever the servers need to be updated or rebooted, the game will be unavailable. When asked by IGameResponsibly about how Titanfall would navigate these issues, Bruno issued the following response:

"I can’t answer that. I don’t know what the guys over at Titanfall have built into their game. It’s up to the game developer. If they want to rely more on our XBLC service, we’re happy to support that. We do provide a platform for them to persist data, but that’s up to the developer to utilize that."

It's possible, then, that the cloud may have a weekly maintenance period to try and avoid issues, scheduled during a convenient time for most gamers, such as in the early hours of Wednesday morning like many MMOs. We've reached out to Microsoft to see if there are any such plans in the pipeline and ask what happens if an emergency maintenance is needed, and will update the story as soon as we hear back.

So adding the infinite power of the cloud means you cant rely on it being there during your game cause it might be rebooting at that exact moment

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 18:58 
Ready for action

8)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 19:07 
Gogmagog

My game has rebooted at that exact moment before. Fair threw me right off the track. Tripped a waiter with a tray up to buy some time. Wasted effort, really, ended 1-UP with a KD 0-3.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:16 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

If your 'cloud' can't handle needing to bounce a host without disconnecting users, it's not a cloud it's a bunch of servers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:19 
UltraMod

Cras wrote:
If your 'cloud' can't handle needing to bounce a host without disconnecting users, it's not a cloud it's a bunch of servers.

Sounds like a (non-)clusterfuck.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:57 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Cras wrote:

And it's not as if Microsoft are the first people to come across this problem. Doing updates on live servers without affecting connected clients is hardly cutting-edge, never-seen-before stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 13:49 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Squirt wrote:
Cras wrote:

And it's not as if Microsoft are the first people to come across this problem. Doing updates on live servers without affecting connected clients is hardly cutting-edge, never-seen-before stuff.

Should be less of an issue in visualization, but I am no expert.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 15:37 
Worst

TheVision wrote:
I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority here but I still look at some N64 games and think they look good.

I agree. As long as the game is made comfortably for the system. So yeah, I like the look of Mario 64. But then I like the look of Super Mario World.

In general, though, I think Dreamcast onwards is sufficiently good looking for me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:54 
8-Bit Champion

More stuff to put people off the Xbox one I think

There has been a lot of information about the Xbox one over the last week or so and a part of that is because there are real xbox one's out there and one person has been posting videos and stuff about it.

http://www.ibtimes.com/xbox-one-unboxin ... os-1463300

http://kotaku.com/and-heres-another-guy ... 1461279632

In response to that Microsoft have banned their console

http://majornelson.com/2013/11/09/a-few ... -the-wild/

Quote:
Due to a retail partner’s system issue, a very small number of Xbox One consoles were shipped to consumers before the 11/22 street date. We’re pleased to see the initial response to Xbox One has been so positive, but given we are still putting the finishing touches on our games, UI and online services, as well as confidential partner and media agreements, these consoles units will be restricted from connecting to Xbox Live until closer to our launch date.

This person had put all the patches available (including the day 1 patch which was suppose to turn off the 'always on' DRM but finds that they cant play COD Ghosts because the system needs to be online to play

http://www.product-reviews.net/2013/11/ ... hout-live/

Note the update that shows the PS4 version supports 'offline play' so its quite possible that despite what Microsoft have said - individual games can require an internet connection and refuse to work if its not there.

There is a thread on neogaf here covering some of this here : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=712867

Back of the COD Ghosts box for the PS4 - note 'bullet point box' for 'offline play enabled'

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 15:44 
Excellent Member

50 GB install?????

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 15:47 
8-Bit Champion

RuySan wrote:
50 GB install?????

And if your going all digital then its a 50 gig download :-)

I'm still not at the end of the neogaf thread and its a mess so far with everyone either saying the sky is falling or that there is nothing to see here because Microsoft is going to see everyone okay

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 15:51 
UltraMod

RuySan wrote:
50 GB install?????

Same for PC too, I believe.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 15:55 
Excellent Member

SilentElk wrote:
RuySan wrote:
50 GB install?????

Isn't that also anachronistic since now SSD's are becoming the standard?

And i don't understand crap about these tech aspects, but why?? COD games look ok, but not that great.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 15:59 
Paws for thought

"The Xbox One user interface is fast, taking just 17 seconds from power up to the dashboard"

In what world is 17 seconds fast?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 16:01 
UltraMod

Mr Dave wrote:
"The Xbox One user interface is fast, taking just 17 seconds from power up to the dashboard"

In what world is 17 seconds fast?

Indeed. My MBP boots up from cold to login screen in about 3 seconds. Then takes another 2 seconds to load the desktop.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 16:32 
Excellent Member

RuySan wrote:
SilentElk wrote:
RuySan wrote:
50 GB install?????

Isn't that also anachronistic since now SSD's are becoming the standard?

I don't understand what the size of the install's got to do with the drive technology? Am I missing something obvious here?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 17:09 
SavyGamer

SSDs, which are optimal for gaming from a load time perspective, are extremely expensive. It's not uncommon for people to have a 64gb, 128gb or 256gb SSD just for playing games on. 50gb wouldn't be too much of a problem (as far as storage space is concerned) for anyone with a standard HDD (which are now pretty cheap for several terabyte drives), but it's likely to take up a massive chunk of space for anyone with an SSD, and unless it's doing anything particularly different to the other COD games, I can't fathom what it needs all that space for.

At least on the new consoles (I think both, but definitely the PS4), whilst installs are required, you can play the game once it's installed the bits it needs at the start, and it will install the rest in the background whilst you play. I think it's the same for downloads.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 18:04 
Excellent Member

LewieP wrote:
SSDs, which are optimal for gaming from a load time perspective, are extremely expensive. It's not uncommon for people to have a 64gb, 128gb or 256gb SSD just for playing games on. 50gb wouldn't be too much of a problem (as far as storage space is concerned) for anyone with a standard HDD (which are now pretty cheap for several terabyte drives), but it's likely to take up a massive chunk of space for anyone with an SSD, and unless it's doing anything particularly different to the other COD games, I can't fathom what it needs all that space for.

Okay, but it's not like developers are going to somehow limit the install size of their games, or even alter their behaviour in the slightest, just because some people are using a more expensive drive technology presumably.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 18:22 
SavyGamer

Bamba wrote:
LewieP wrote:

Okay, but it's not like developers are going to somehow limit the install size of their games, or even alter their behaviour in the slightest, just because some people are using a more expensive drive technology presumably.

Well I think it's more to do with bad habits they've developed because they've gotten used to not needing to worry about filesizes for a while. Remember that COD Ghosts fits on a 4.7gb DVD for the Xbox 360 version, and aside from running at higher resolution (with the exact same assets), enhanced effects and better draw distance, the PC version is largely indistinguishable from the 360 version.

I'd suggest that being a bit more efficient would give a better user experience, but they also probably spend as little time/money on the PC version of COD as possible.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 18:25 
8-Bit Champion

LewieP wrote:
Remember that COD Ghosts fits on a 4.7gb DVD for the Xbox 360 version

I agree with the rest of your comment but FYI COD Ghosts on the 360 is on two disks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 18:48 
SavyGamer

zaphod79 wrote:
LewieP wrote:
Remember that COD Ghosts fits on a 4.7gb DVD for the Xbox 360 version

I agree with the rest of your comment but FYI COD Ghosts on the 360 is on two disks

Ah, thanks for the correction. I don't think this was the case with all the previous ones, was it?

50gb is still a lot more than 4.7x2.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 19:05 
Sleepyhead

Indeed. And the Disc 2 install was only 3GB.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 19:09 
UltraMod

I thought we were talking about BF4. The next-gen version of coddy woddy ghosties clocks in at 35GB.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 19:14 
Excellent Member

SilentElk wrote:
I thought we were talking about BF4. The next-gen version of coddy woddy ghosties clocks in at 35GB.

It was initially a 50GB install but they've dropped it down to 40 now.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/arch ... ation.aspx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 20:46 
8-Bit Champion

LewieP wrote:
Ah, thanks for the correction. I don't think this was the case with all the previous ones, was it?

All of the previous Call of Duty games are single disks on the 360 (or a download only for the first one via XBL) - as Curio says the second disk seems to be a 3 gig installer (would not be surprised if its some type of texture pack for streaming)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:10 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

LewieP wrote:

Don't forget compression.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:37 
8-Bit Champion

Cras wrote:
LewieP wrote:

Why ? - they obviously did :-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:18 
Sleepyhead

zaphod79 wrote:
Cras wrote:
LewieP wrote:

Why ? - they obviously did :-)

:D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:18 
UltraMod

TV! TV! TV!

Now coming summer 2014

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... ummer-2014

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:40 
ugvm'er at heart...

SilentElk wrote:

"Sky told us it still wants to extend the distribution of Sky Go, but main set platforms are less pressing because Sky Go customers, of which there are over three million, can already access Sky content on their main set via their Sky + HD box."

Actually what they meant to say was

"Sky told us it still wants to extend the distribution of Sky Go, but main set platforms are less pressing because Sky Go customers, of which there are over three million, can already access Sky content on their main set via their Sky + HD box, and they get that for free if they already have a sky subscription, so fuck that when we can charge them again for Now TV"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 16:52 
8-Bit Champion

A weird thing to start going on about but will Microsoft 'keep' supporting the Xbox brand ?

http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/13/xbox-is ... o-founder/

Quote:
Xbox is detracting from Microsoft’s business focus, says co-founder’s business partner

Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen has said he is both “intrigued and interested” by incoming changes at the company, amid its search for a new CEO. His investment partner has revealed that Allen feels Xbox and Bing detract from the core business, following rumours that former Nokia boss Stephen Elop is prepared to trim some fat.

It follows word that – if brought in as Steve Ballmer’s replacement as CEO – Elop would be prepared to cut the Xbox brand free if it either becomes unsuccessful or mis-aligned with the company’s focus.

Speaking with the Financial Times, Allen’s investment partner Paul Ghaffari, said that Allen shared Elop’s rumoured view. It has been suggested that Elop would want to focus on Microsoft’s core products, such as Office on non-Microsoft devices and other integral parts of the company.

Ghaffari told the paper, “The search business and even Xbox, which has been a very successful product, are detracting from that. We would want them to focus on their best competencies. My view is there are some parts of that operation they should probably spin out, get rid of, to focus on the enterprise and focus on the cloud.”

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 19:03 

Various review embargoes have expired. Overall, a better launch lineup than the PS4, mostly because Forza. Dead Rising is middling, Ryse and Lococycle a bit crap.

Shamelessly quoting from elsewhere:

Edit -- thanks to Bamba for fixing the quote.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 19:04 

Goddamit I can't fix all those URL tags on a tablet.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 19:05 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Not such shamelessly as appallingly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 19:14 
UltraMod

Forza has a fraction of the cars and tracks that FM4 had - no amount of prettiness can make up for that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 19:38 
Excellent Member

Zoo Tycoon

Polygon – 8/10
OXM – 7/10
Shacknews – 7/10
Videogamer – 5/10

Crimson Dragon

OXM – 6/10
Destructoid – 8/10
GameInformer – 6/10
IGN – 5.9/10
Edge - 5/10
Polygon - 4/10
Venture Beat - 3.5/10

Lococycle

Edge – 2/10
IGN – 6.4/10
Joystiq – 1.5/5
GameInformer – 7/10
Videogamer – 5/10
Eurogamer – 4/10
OXM – 7/10
Destructoid – 7/10

Dead Rising 3

DigitalSpy – 4/5
Eurogamer – 7/10
Gamespot – 7/10
Joystiq – 3.5/5
CVG – 7/10
Polygon – 7.5/10
GameInformer – 8.75/10
Videogamer – 8/10
Destructoid – 9/10
Kotaku – Yes
Shacknews – 6/10

Killer Instinct

Joystiq – 3/5
IGN – 8.4
Shacknews – 7/10
Edge – 7/10
Eurogamer.de – 7/10

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 19:42 
Excellent Member

There's really nothing in either of the launch line-ups that I'm interested in I don't think, which is fine as it gives me time to close the previous gen off.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 20:09 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Bamba wrote:
There's really nothing in either of the launch line-ups that I'm interested in I don't think, which is fine as it gives me time to close the previous gen off.

Very much this.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 20:23 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Likewise, no real interest for NEW TOY MUST BUY NEW TOY.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 0:17 
8-Bit Champion

Lots of positive stuff from the PS4 launch about the integration with Twitch.tv and being able to stream both your game and the person playing it (with the PS camera) - so Microsoft come out to say that their Twitch integration will not be around until 'early' next year

http://news.xbox.com/2013/11/xbox-one-t ... ew-details

Achievements for watching streams ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 0:19 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I don't understand Twitch.tv. Why would you want to watch someone playing a game rather than play it yourself?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:23 
UltraMod

TheVision wrote:
I don't understand Twitch.tv. Why would you want to watch someone playing a game rather than look at it sit on a shelf instead?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:23 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

SilentElk wrote:
TheVision wrote:
I don't understand Twitch.tv. Why would you want to watch someone playing a game rather than look at it sit on a shelf instead?

I'll have you know I've actually been playing games the past few nights. They are all on the 3DO and mostly rubbish but still... At least I've been playing something.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:24 
UltraMod

TheVision wrote:
SilentElk wrote:
TheVision wrote:

I'll have you know I've actually been playing games the past few nights. They are all on the 3DO and mostly rubbish but still... At least I've been playing something.

I'll let you off then. This time!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:37 
Isn't that lovely?

TheVision wrote:
I don't understand Twitch.tv. Why would you want to watch someone playing a game rather than play it yourself?

Way back when I used to run an online gaming site, loads of people would want to watch matches. Especially when the big teams were playing.

There even used to be shoutcast streams commenting on the games.

You could either watch them live, or download the demo and watch it at your leisure.

I can well imagine the demand is still there.

I mean why watch sport when you can play it instead?

Malc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:42 
8-Bit Champion

What I've watched on twitch so far has been :

Bits of a 31 hour high score challenge for Defender
Bits of a 'long' (cant quite remember) stream of Steve Wiebe getting to the kill screen on Donkey Kong

Bits of NGT Zombies streaming their working of the easter egg for COD Zombies Origins

I think it depends on who is playing the game / what they are playing / and just how interesting they can make it

'Most' people who are just going to stream themselves randomly playing games is never going to get views but people who are skillful or streaming something unusual may well draw some interest.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:44 
UltraMod

As much as I expected: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... dware-test

Quote:
There are some great ideas here, then, but we've had just a small glimpse of what the machine is capable of. Cool functions like resuming gameplay from standby are flaky, while the centrepiece of the media experience - full integration with live TV - just isn't there yet outside of Microsoft's home market. It's coming, but we have no idea when. The core of what's left, beyond some neat features, is very much a games machine: one whose capabilities are proven, but which remains considerably more expensive than PlayStation 4.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:03 

TheVision wrote:

To see who wins the Golden Joystick, natch.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:34 
8-Bit Champion

IGN using the voice commands stuff

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2013/11/19/xbox-one-uncut-demo

Seems to work about 1/2 the time they try things

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 15:13 
Excellent Member

I'm not big on driving games so maybe everyone else knew this already but the new Forza game on the Xbone has F2P mechanics baked into it? So you've just paid £400-odd quid for a console and then £40-odd for the game and they've made it grindy as hell to encourage you to spend even more money unlocking cars. That's properly fucking disgusting; a level of naked money-grubbing bullshit that I'm honestly stunned by.

Reply to topic  [ 2593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 52  Next