Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Battlefield 4
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:23 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
I'm very much a hardcore player by choice too, but I'll play normal if others are.

Hardcore really needs a fucking compass though...

If you rent your own server you can tweak all the backend settings to suit your preferences, (not just the obvious stuff like game modes and map rotations), so we run ours hardcore, but with the minimap on, for example.

Can you rent servers for the console versions too? I thought they were bringing in dedicated servers for all platforms for BF4?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:35 
ugvm'er at heart...

You can't rent yet but I expect they will bring that in later. Which is a shame, as that is what ruined BF3...
I really don't want control of the game I'm playing handed to an egotistical 14yr old.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:45 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
You can't rent yet but I expect they will bring that in later. Which is a shame, as that is what ruined BF3...
I really don't want control of the game I'm playing handed to an egotistical 14yr old.

Just add good servers to your favourites, job done.

I ended up with a really solid favourites list for BF3, could always get a good game on a well admined server (usually a UK one) running a map and/or mode that I liked.

I'd have thought that a BEEX server was a bit of a no-brainer for the regular crowd here.

Having our own server for BF3 really gave the game a last hurrah for us, as we went totally mental on hardcore squad rush.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 19:35 
Bad Girl

A guy named Irish whose personality trait is "angry woman hater". Genius EA and Dice!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 21:08 
Bad Girl

6) It's too bright with lense flare, flashes, screen rocking, water and wind and what not going on. I swear, at times, you have no clue who is shooting you or what you're shooting at. It's fucking ridiculous.

7) A-HA HA HA HA. Here's a guy I should know from the last forgettable story. AHA HA HA. Seriously, has anyone remembered that car crash! You presume too much, Mr developer.

I think I'll compile these into a mega-post when I'm done. Just, y'know, 'cause. And effect.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 21:17 
Bad Girl

9) Tank battle? AGAIN. They're so fucking dull. Tank on Tank action must be the dullest thing in the universe.

10) Mind you, that tank battle showed off some of the worse respawning enemies I've seen in a game. Y'see you get the infra white thing so you can safely ignore the ludicrous flash lighting and can see the enemies appearing right in from of you. Literally right in front. Maybe less than 5 yards. It's a terrible section.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 23:43 
Bad Girl

Oh, it's Omar! Tch.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:58 

I thought the campaign was really decent, played it on hard and there were some great levels with enough freedom to choose different approaches. Never really been one for giving much of a toss about the story in an FPS, without exception at every cutscene I just sit there hammering at the buttons in case I can skip it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 21:16 
Bad Girl

Finished! Yay! That was arduous to complete even at 5 hours short. It was dog shit. Utter dog shit. It doesn't make any fucking sense to me. The "storyline" just, well, I'm gob smacked at what dross it is for the Next Gen.

Having a character that doesn't talk is one thing but having characters pretend you're not there is just insulting. Like you never picked until last at a football game or you're networking but no one wants to talk to you. You're at the edge of the conversation watching two (or more) talk with no ability to get into the conversation. The more I think about it, the more I think the game could have existed without me.

And why is the game terrible at recording whether you actually shot someone? You know what is utterly fantastic about CoD - when you shoot someone and you're on target it hits them. EVERY TIME. Here, I was shooting through a gap about 3 foot wide and the bullets were going but not hitting anything. It was like they were caught on the scenery but DICE knew it was a shoddy build so they took out the effect where bullet hits wall cause it's too difficult to sort out the collision detection. And not once - FUCKING LOADS OF TIMES. LOADS. I'm angry about it. It's irritated me that the fundamentals are so shonky.

And not only that, but in the multiplayer as well. I swear, if I'm sniping (and you get the freaking worse one out the box so sniping is a painful progression) you have to stand up and away from everything around you to get a decent shot off. Not in CoD; CoD knows when I'm right cause the "however old"-build was solid from the start.

Also, blue is the new grey. Or brown. Whatever was the new black was. It's blue, blue, blue.

The end was ridiculous an' all. Fuckity fuckwits. Think they can sell me a load of ... *mumble mumble* ... etc.

Garbage.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:26 
Hello Hello Hello

I'm getting a bit pissed off with my shit weapons, as much as I love the game I'm just not playing it anything like as much as I did BF3 so I'm not getting many unlocks, so I'm finding myself going up against motherfuckers who are totally tooled up to the max in everything (not just guns but all the vehicles and helis as well) - so there I am with my weedy fucking RPG that does 25 points of damage, trying to pop caps into the arse of tanks with super reflective armour and IR scanning and fuck knows what else.

Now I know that for BF3 they brought out unlock packs, including a 'master' unlock pack that unlocked everything for all classes and vehicles, (which I didn't need as I'd unlocked everything normally anyway), but the sooner they bring that shit out for BF4 the better, because I'll be all over that motherfucker like a cheap suit. (I think it cost about £20 for BF3, which I could live with.)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:36 
ugvm'er at heart...

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
Now I know that for BF3 they brought out unlock packs, including a 'master' unlock pack that unlocked everything for all classes and vehicles, (which I didn't need as I'd unlocked everything normally anyway), but the sooner they bring that shit out for BF4 the better, because I'll be all over that motherfucker like a cheap suit. (I think it cost about £20 for BF3, which I could live with.)

I really couldn't do that, for me the BF games are just as much about levelling up and collecting new guns and shit to play with, as they are about playing the actual game....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:07 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
I really couldn't do that, for me the BF games are just as much about levelling up and collecting new guns and shit to play with, as they are about playing the actual game....

I know what you mean and it does feel a bit cheaty, but outside of our regular Saturday night session, I'm basically not playing the game at all, and three hours per week just ain't enough playtime to unlock much of anything!

It doesn't help that I can't play the game when AE Jnr is around due to the game's content, and she isn't upstairs until 9pm most evenings, and even then I'm not tending to find myself in a 'Battlefield mood'. (Preferring a bit of pinball or or Starcraft 2 or NFS Most Wanted before sticking a film on, usually.)

When BF4 was new I was holding my own really well, because everyone had all the same rubbish weapons, but as the weeks have gone on I'm looking at what I'm getting killed with and what I'm going up against (and my relatively poor scoring) and realising that I've well and truly lost the arms race.

Playing hardcore levels the playfield to an extent, but not enough I'm finding.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:32 
Bad Girl

What do these new guns do that the earlier ones don't? The only thing that's irritated me so far in the multiplayer is the standard bolt action sniper rifle which is a bit gash. I need a semi-auto one to practice with. Presumably the assault rifles and LMG'a are like CoD where you pick the one you like but they're all much of a muchness.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:42 
Hello Hello Hello

Santanalian wrote:
What do these new guns do that the earlier ones don't? The only thing that's irritated me so far in the multiplayer is the standard bolt action sniper rifle which is a bit gash. I need a semi-auto one to practice with. Presumably the assault rifles and LMG'a are like CoD where you pick the one you like but they're all much of a muchness.

http://symthic.com/bf4-stats <<< Have a play around with this site to see some of the differences.

Some of the later unlocks are pretty potent, not just the weapons themselves (increased damage and accuracy, less recoil, bigger mags, quicker reloads, faster fire rate etc) but also the various attachments and add-ons for them.

It's also down to the map and role as well, so you'll tend to choose a weapon and accessories based on what you're doing. What's a great gun for one map and mode may be totally ineffective on the next map/mode.

The vehicles are arguably even worse, if you go up against a fully pimped out tank in a 'basic' tank, you're going to get absolutely reamed.

DICE tweak the weapons over time as well, so we tend to keep an eye on the patch log to see what's being changed, for example for a while early on in BF3 one of the machine guns (can't remember the name now) was ridiculously good if you bolted an IR scope and the extended mag onto it, but then DICE nerfed both the scope and the gun itself and it became effectively unusable.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 23:54 
Hello Hello Hello

Gah, I may have lost patience with this now.

Usual Saturday night session with the chaps but by fuck I was feeling the burden of having shit guns and shit tanks and shit helis and shit everything else. I don't rate myself as a super-uber FPS player, but I'm not fucking bad, back in the days of the old CS rankings I tended to hover between the top 1% and top 2% of worldwide players.

The thing is I bought the MEGA SUPER DIGITAL DELUXE PREMIUM version of BF4 which cost nearly a hundred fucking quid! And I'm thinking to myself, why do I have to fucking grind out the good guns? Why do I have to grind out all the extras for the vehicles?

It just got tedious towards the end of the session, yes we could still work well as a squad and yes I could contribute, but even the tightest unit is going to find its members in a 'one on one' situation on a regular basis, and that's where I kept coming off second best, and time after time I'm looking at the killcam screen and I've been killed by a Level Billion player with absolutely fucking everything unlocked on the best gun for their class.

Strategy and tactics will serve you well to an extent of course, but the feeling of being continually outgunned really got on my tits tonight, and I've been playing Battlefield games since forever - so either I'm getting old and shit, or the sands have shifted a bit :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 0:07 
Paws for thought

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
The thing is I bought the MEGA SUPER DIGITAL DELUXE PREMIUM version of BF4 which cost nearly a hundred fucking quid! And I'm thinking to myself, why do I have to fucking grind out the good guns? Why do I have to grind out all the extras for the vehicles?

Because everyone got in a rush to copy CoD rather than produce a suitably balanced multiplayer. Annoying isn't it?

Of course, now that they can charge for removing the unbalanced grind, you can expect to see even more of it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 0:16 
Hello Hello Hello

Mr Dave wrote:
Because everyone got in a rush to copy CoD rather than produce a suitably balanced multiplayer. Annoying isn't it?

Of course, now that they can charge for removing the unbalanced grind, you can expect to see even more of it.

Yeah I did have a bit of a rant about it on Teamspeak tonight :D (Absolute textbook definition of First World Problems, I do realise that :))

Minus the ranting, my points were that Bad Company 2 was the last Battlefield game that got it totally right, BF3 was the first 'CoD-esque' treadmill release and BF4 is that multiplied by a hundred.

The perfectly and exquisitely balanced Battlefields of the past seem like a horribly distant memory now :(

The most infuriating thing about it is that I now feel like I'm going to have to drop £20-£30 on the BF4 unlock package when it's inevitably released, despite the fact I've paid the bastards the best part of £100 for the fucking game already.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:15 
Hello Hello Hello

Finally got my eye in with this bugger after the disappointment of last week's session.

Had a chat with one of the chaps on Monday and discussed what the best way to get in the game was, he suggested just thrash the Hardcore Domination mode, as that's tight infantry maps, very fast pace, no vehicles, and crucially, lots of kills. (Kills = unlocks for your guns and more guns. Getting points through other means just levels up your soldier and scores class points.)

So I did very specific search criteria on Hardcore Domination, Operation Locker map (just about the only map I already had a decent feel for), lots of tickets and decent game round length, and for some indication that it was an actively admined UK based server.

Managed to find a fine candidate that runs Operation Locker 24/7 Hardcore Domination, 32 players, 1000 tickets on a 60 minute round length - perfect. UK based was the icing on the cake.

It was hard work at first, but soon managed to get a good chunk of unlocks for the AWFUL starting assault rifle which made it less awful, plus by opening Battlepacks I was able to get other stuff too. By the time I unlocked the M416 even the starter gun had been pimped out enough to make it usable, but I nonetheless it was straight onto the M416 (and back to iron sights), which is one of the most versatile guns in the game.

From there onwards everything went a lot smoother, I now have the M416 almost fully unlocked with all the attachments I need, plus I've unlocked a load of other assault class stuff too, so I have an entirely viable assault class soldier for the next session.

Still pissed off with DICE for implementing a grind requirement in the first place, but I'm over the hump now and having fun with the game, which is the main thing - plus I'm intimately acquainted with every inch of the Operation Locker map, probably about as well I know Dust2, Italy and Aztec in CS, which is saying something....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 15:41 
ugvm'er at heart...

:DD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:17 
ugvm'er at heart...

Platoons are on their way for BF4, which is nice.
I'm not entirely sure what they give us, but I do know that you need 4 people from the same platoon playing at the same time to level your platoon up.

Anybody else on PS4 who is a regular BF4 player, we have 3 who usually play together a couple of times a week but need a 4th :D

T.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:21 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Trooper wrote:
Anybody else on PS4 who is a regular BF4 player, we have 3 who usually play together a couple of times a week but need a 4th :D

T.

I have it and could dip in at times if you need a 4th although I dont have any DLC for it (just the base game) and i'm probably only level 3 or 4 as i've put much more time into COD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 14:26 
Decapodian

Trooper wrote:
I'm not entirely sure what they give us, but I do know that you need 4 people from the same platoon playing at the same time to level your platoon up.

T.

What time do you play? I'm sure I've seen you online some times.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 14:35 
UltraMod

Dr Zoidberg wrote:

Probably at those times that you've seen him online.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 14:36 
ugvm'er at heart...

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Trooper wrote:

T.

Indeed, I think you've even inadvertently joined our party chat once or twice :D

We don't have any set times, but if we are on it'll usually be for an hour or two between 7-10pm on a random weeknight, and a random time at the weekend.
Not that helpful I know!

It's me (trooperlooper2) , Toadusmodus and Gunthergloop. Gunther is pretty much always online, but he isn't a Beexer. You should know him from UGVM though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 18:38 
Decapodian

British Nervoso wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:

Probably at those times that you've seen him online.

Ah, but I have a crap memory so have since forgotten the specifics.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 19:31 
Bad Girl

I haz dis.

Actually I've been playing some online multiplayer for the last week or so and it's reet good fun sometimes. I can't play it for any more than a couple of 30 minute matches because it gets boring after a while but I've got the OL FPS MP DM bug back a little.

So, if you see me, "pick me Nigel!"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 19:35 
Decapodian

Trooper wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Trooper wrote:

T.

Indeed, I think you've even inadvertently joined our party chat once or twice :D

We don't have any set times, but if we are on it'll usually be for an hour or two between 7-10pm on a random weeknight, and a random time at the weekend.
Not that helpful I know!

It's me (trooperlooper2) , Toadusmodus and Gunthergloop. Gunther is pretty much always online, but he isn't a Beexer. You should know him from UGVM though.

I shall try and jump in. I tend to be online earlier in the evening - 6:30 to 8 or so, and then random times at the weekends so we might not overlap that much.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 20:34 
Rude Belittler

I has this. Pundy79 for reference.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:04 
ugvm'er at heart...

I has created a platoon.

All being well, you should be able to apply to join if you want. Not sure if it is PS4 only or cross system.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/pl ... 746468433/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:20 
8-Bit Champion

Trooper wrote:
I has created a platoon.

All being well, you should be able to apply to join if you want. Not sure if it is PS4 only or cross system.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/pl ... 746468433/

I have applied however it asked me for my Origin information so no idea if its going to hook me up on PC or PS4 :-)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:25 
ugvm'er at heart...

I have accepted, it says you are a PS4 player, so it seems to be all correct.

Welcome to ApocalypseCow.

MOOOOO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 14:52 
Do what now....?

Hello all. Please join our Platoon, we need friends!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 14:56 
ugvm'er at heart...

Toadusmodus wrote:

Who the fuck are you?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 14:58 
8-Bit Champion

Trooper wrote:
Toadusmodus wrote:

Who the fuck are you?

Shhh , they are a newbie - dont scare them off - just get Zardoz to come over with the butterfly net

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 15:02 
UltraMod

This is not going to help to get the net migration figures down.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 15:03 
ugvm'er at heart...

That was my friendly welcome.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 15:06 
8-Bit Champion

Trooper wrote:
That was my friendly welcome.

Well at least you didnt drop a plane on their head :-)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 15:07 
Do what now....?

Trooper wrote:
Toadusmodus wrote:

Who the fuck are you?

I'm some random dude that you spent 3 quality years at uni with, have known for almost 20 years, and was best man at your wedding.
More importantly, hang around getting shot in the arse on BF4 with you every now and then.......

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 15:12 
ugvm'er at heart...

Well... this is awkward.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 15:16 
8-Bit Champion

Trooper wrote:
Well... this is awkward.

Nah - just go here and point out which person he isnt :-)

viewtopic.php?p=795771#p795771

Tsk - that's the trouble with newbs these days - we've already got their picture !

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 15:19 
Rude Belittler

Applied!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 15:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Toadusmodus wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Toadusmodus wrote:

Who the fuck are you?

I'm some random dude that you spent 3 quality years at uni with, have known for almost 20 years, and was best man at your wedding.
More importantly, hang around getting shot in the arse on BF4 with you every now and then.......

:DD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 15:41 
ugvm'er at heart...

Pundabaya wrote:
Applied!

Accepted!

Who is Alex73uk? Is that you Zoidberg?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 15:56 
Decapodian

Trooper wrote:
Pundabaya wrote:
Applied!

Accepted!

That's my origin ID. The psn I'd is Alex_zoidberg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 16:00 
ugvm'er at heart...

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Pundabaya wrote:
Applied!

Accepted!

That's my origin ID. The psn I'd is Alex_zoidberg

Ah, I accepted anyway :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 16:51 
Bad Girl

How'd I join ApocalypseCow from this pissing Battlelog app? I've just added Troops as a friend, even though we're already friends. Pissing Battlelog app.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 16:58 
8-Bit Champion

Saturnalian wrote:
How'd I join ApocalypseCow from this pissing Battlelog app? I've just added Troops as a friend, even though we're already friends. Pissing Battlelog app.

I think its trying to be too ambitious and handle Xbox / PC / PS4 all through the same interface - you should be able to click the first link that Trooper posted and click the 'join' button (which from memory was in the top right of the screen)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 17:08 
Bad Girl

zaphod79 wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

I think its trying to be too ambitious and handle Xbox / PC / PS4 all through the same interface - you should be able to click the first link that Trooper posted and click the 'join' button (which from memory was in the top right of the screen)

Works internet firewall is telling me to get fucked and if I try no my phone I can't click the log in button as it's so bloody tiny. AND when you try and zoom in the screen the log in button gets clipped off with no way of scrolling over to it! :shrug:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 17:12 
8-Bit Champion

Saturnalian wrote:
Works internet firewall is telling me to get fucked and if I try no my phone I can't click the log in button as it's so bloody tiny. AND when you try and zoom in the screen the log in button gets clipped off with no way of scrolling over to it! :shrug:

Yeah I did look at it on my phone and the page doesnt really work so i think the answer is try later tonight (you could even do it on your PS4 directly)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 17:15 
ugvm'er at heart...

I don't have you as a friend on battlelog Saturnalian, whats your battleog id? (which is different to your PS4 id!)

Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next