And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Battlefield 4
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:24 
ugvm'er at heart...

http://blogs.battlefield.com/2014/04/ba ... -solution/

"Hi everyone,

As you know, we’ve been looking into resolving the “rubber banding” that some players on certain platforms have experienced with Battlefield 4 after the recent release of Naval Strike. We’ve found that the root cause of the issue was a configuration of certain hardware types dedicated to 64-player matches.

We have invested in new hardware to resolve this issue and deployed new higher-performance servers this week. In preparation, we conducted a significant amount of testing before installing the new servers to ensure they would correct the issue. We are already seeing performance improvement with 64-player matches and expect this to continue.

While the process took longer than we would’ve liked, we wanted to be 100% sure it was done right and that the long-term solution was properly in place.

Our objective is to deliver the best player experience possible. We feel this solution helps us deliver that to you. Stay tuned to our official channels for more information.

Thanks,

Karl Magnus Troedsson, DICE VP & GM"

So does this mean they have fixed it today? They are going to fix it? It has been fixed already?
Very vague, but hopefully good news.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:56 
Isn't that lovely?

Trooper wrote:
http://blogs.battlefield.com/2014/04/battlefield-4-high-performance-server-solution/

"Hi everyone,

As you know, we’ve been looking into resolving the “rubber banding” that some players on certain platforms have experienced with Battlefield 4 after the recent release of Naval Strike. We’ve found that the root cause of the issue was a configuration of certain hardware types dedicated to 64-player matches.

We have invested in new hardware to resolve this issue and deployed new higher-performance servers this week. In preparation, we conducted a significant amount of testing before installing the new servers to ensure they would correct the issue. We are already seeing performance improvement with 64-player matches and expect this to continue.

While the process took longer than we would’ve liked, we wanted to be 100% sure it was done right and that the long-term solution was properly in place.

Our objective is to deliver the best player experience possible. We feel this solution helps us deliver that to you. Stay tuned to our official channels for more information.

Thanks,

Karl Magnus Troedsson, DICE VP & GM"

So does this mean they have fixed it today? They are going to fix it? It has been fixed already?
Very vague, but hopefully good news.

I would suggest the use of the word deployed suggests it's been fixed.

Malc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:56 
Hello Hello Hello

Ended up playing until well past midnight last night, finishing up with what was supposed to be a pistols and knives fight on our own server, which somehow escalated into a tank and then helicopter gunship battle.

'What kind of fucking knife is that then?', I enquired of my chum as a tank rolled into the square. Needless to say the only response to that was to helicopter up.

A glass of wine too many was consumed as well, as my slightly sore head this morning will bear testament to.

We were also getting some of the rubber-banding on a carrier assault map earlier in the evening, which we've not seen before. At one point I was able to witness my own death from a third person perspective, which was rather odd.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 18:09 
ugvm'er at heart...

http://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_4/c ... _returned/

Well, that was short and sweet, I didn't even get a chance to go online when they were working correctly.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 22:25 
ugvm'er at heart...

Rent-a-server is up and running. I suspect this is EA's fix to their shit infrastructure, make it someone else's problem and charge the users for the privilege.
A bargain a £48 for 90 days!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:07 
Hello Hello Hello

We pay £100 every three months for our server, but split between six of us it's perfectly reasonable price wise and it's completely configurable from the back end so we always get exactly what we want on there mode/players/rules/etc wise, plus we get a Mumble server thrown in with the deal.

There are cheaper server providers but we figured if we were going to get our own server we may as well get a good one.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:12 
ugvm'er at heart...

...and rent a server is broken

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/ne ... gram-live/

"Due to a high demand for the Rent-a-Server Program on PlayStation 4, we’ve noticed an issue with 64-player servers and removed the RSP option on this platform until players can properly access what they’ve paid for. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience as we continue to improve the RSP program."

:facepalm:

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 22:25 
ugvm'er at heart...

Wow, what a difference having a working server makes. Played for a hour tonight on a rented server and it played so much better.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:09 
ugvm'er at heart...

"Battlefield: Hardline" has been announced. No details as yet, apart from an autumn release date and it is Cops and Robbers based.

Hmmm....

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:49 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I reckon it's a courtroom setting, with each side having to give evidence and shit.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:58 
ugvm'er at heart...

Ok, so it does look like it could be good fun. It'll be buggy as shit though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:29 
ugvm'er at heart...

New patch out which ups the tick rate of the client, if you change the setting to high.

Had a quick go this morning and it almost felt like a different game!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 16:57 
ugvm'er at heart...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-201 ... 0-6420088/

Ok, getting more interested, especially as it is a Battlefield game that isn't being made by DICE, so there is a little bit of hope it won't be a bugshitfest on release :D

You can sign up for the beta here if you fancy giving it a go.
http://www.battlefield.com/hardline/beta

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 17:02 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2014-everything-you-need-to-know-about-battlefield-hardline/1100-6420088/

Ok, getting more interested, especially as it is a Battlefield game that isn't being made by DICE, so there is a little bit of hope it won't be a bugshitfest on release :D

You can sign up for the beta here if you fancy giving it a go.
http://www.battlefield.com/hardline/beta

It's not a Battlefield game though, it's just a random FPS game developed by a random studio that they've decided to slap the Battlefield name onto because of the 'franchise appeal'.

Like Ridge Racer Unbounded clearly wasn't a Ridge Racer game and Need For Speed Most Wanted which was clearly a Burnout game and not a Need For Speed game.

Not saying Hardline won't be a good game, but it's not a Battlefield game IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 17:08 
ugvm'er at heart...

Well, it looks to play exactly the same as a BF game, just in a different setting, and has been built using the BF toolkit.

I can see your point, but I think it is definitely a BF game. It may not be deserving of the BF name though, but then you could say that about BF3 and 4...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 17:20 
ugvm'er at heart...

Must be nice to play it on a LAN though, no way it will perform like that over the internet!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 17:32 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
Must be nice to play it on a LAN though, no way it will perform like that over the internet!

Not sure I can see anything there that won't work over the internet? :shrug:

Latency on a good server these days is routinely down in the region of 25-50ms, or were you referring to something else?

As for the 'is it a Battlefield game or not' even the article you linked to didn't seem overly convinced about its BF credentials, although they've certainly retained a BF feel for the UI and suchlike.

Don't get me wrong it looks like it could be an interesting game in its own right, but I can't help feel they're being a bit cynical with the Battlefield tag. (For me a BF game has to be a DICE game and also be comically broken at launch, anything else would just be wrong :D)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 18:05 
ugvm'er at heart...

Hearthly wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Not sure I can see anything there that won't work over the internet? :shrug:

Latency on a good server these days is routinely down in the region of 25-50ms, or were you referring to something else?

Mainly that he was shooting people and they were falling over, rather than warping to another part of the map while he rubberbanded back 2 steps ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 18:09 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
Mainly that he was shooting people and they were falling over, rather than warping to another part of the map while he rubberbanded back 2 steps ;)

Dedicated servers :p

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:13 
ugvm'er at heart...

Well, that happened faster than I expected. Downloading the beta now...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:18 
ugvm'er at heart...

Ok... yeah.... it's actually really good fun and plays really well!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:19 
UltraMod

Trooper wrote:
Ok... yeah.... it's actually really good fun and plays really well!

Battlefield: Trooper's Mum Edition

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 15:14 
ugvm'er at heart...

A few more games and problems are starting to show. There is quite a bit of slowdown when the action gets going, and the servers are 16 a side, but the squads are 5 man squads. Anybody see the problem with that :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 15:34 
ugvm'er at heart...

Interestingly, or not depending on your point of view, but if you aren't interested, why are you reading this thread? I think Hardline suffers from being too much of a Battlefield game. Would I pay full price for it on release? As it currently stands, no. It really feels like BF DLC rather than a game of its own.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 15:43 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
Interestingly, or not depending on your point of view, but if you aren't interested, why are you reading this thread? I think Hardline suffers from being too much of a Battlefield game. Would I pay full price for it on release? As it currently stands, no. It really feels like BF DLC rather than a game of its own.

'Mods', I believe we used to call them :)

From the beta reviews I've read and the videos I've watched, there's not enough going on here to justify a purchase as a BF4 DLC, let alone a standalone game - however there's still time for them to add in more game modes and content, and let's face it, it needs them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 13:28 
Hello Hello Hello

€70 for a glorified mod, where do I sign?

Performance not stellar on PS4 either, sub BF-4 at the moment, http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... e-analysis

TBH I think I'll be off the BF treadmill for the next 'proper' BF game anyway, BF4 really didn't do anything that BF3 didn't do the same or better IMO, and I'm fed up with the avalanche of DLC too.

I think it'd take BF2143 to tweak my interest in this franchise again.

Attachment:
bastadoo.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 14:15 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
TBH I think I'll be off the BF treadmill for the next 'proper' BF game anyway

Aye, we'll see...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 14:46 
Hello Hello Hello

Bamba wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

Aye, we'll see...

Oh I'll definitely get it, but equally definitely it won't be a pre-order or launch day purchase.

I'll grab it a few months down the line in a sale, like I did Titanfall.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 15:06 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

Aye, we'll see...

Oh I'll definitely get it

Wow, a u-turn in the space of two posts; that must be a new personal best!

:kiss:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 16:01 
Hello Hello Hello

Bamba wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

Aye, we'll see...

Oh I'll definitely get it

Wow, a u-turn in the space of two posts; that must be a new personal best!

:kiss:

I said I'd be off the BF treadmill, which means I won't be paying top dollar at launch and wading through the launch issues, adjusting to the balancing and the patching in the early days, trying to keep up with the DLC as it's shovelled out, and so on.

You can read that as 'I won't be buying it ever' if you want to, but that's not what the words actually say. Considering that I've owned just about every BF game ever, the idea that I'd miss one completely is pretty unlikely.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 16:34 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
You can read that as 'I won't be buying it ever' if you want to, but that's not what the words actually say.

The best way to get off the treadmill of something would be not get involved at all in the first place; and with the context of the rest of that post it's easy to read it as you saying you weren't going to buy it at all, no matter what you thought you were saying.

Anyway, it was supposed to just be a light-hearted comment so let's forget it shall we?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 19:01 
Hello Hello Hello

Sorry old chap didn't mean to come over arsey about it, slightly crossed wires there :)

I take your point about how it could be read too, but the intended meaning was 'not going to jump in at launch for the next one' (unless it's BF2143 :D).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 23:56 
Bad Girl

I got my first ever 'squad wipe' today. With an LMG an' all, not some stinking cheating tank or some shit.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:24 
Hello Hello Hello

We have now officially fucked this game off and returned 100% to Battlefield 3. It was a bit 50/50 for a while but now everyone is in agreement that BF3 is the better game, and our server is permanently on BF3 map rotations.

Better maps.
Better modes.
Better netcode.
Less glitchy.
Rather unscientifically it 'feels' better. (We've all agreed that there's almost like a random element in BF4 as to whether you'll get a kill even when you feel like you've properly got an enemy bang to rights, whereas in BF3 you can just 'feel' when you've got the shot right before the game confirms the kill.)

Plus, Team Deathmatch on Noshahr Canals with the DAO-12, it doesn't get better than that for an end-of-evening blast.

Bye bye BF4, and I doubt any of us will be jumping straight in with the next Battlefield game.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:53 
Hello Hello Hello

BF4 is fixed!

Basically DICE have gone back to a lot of the BF3 netcode and suchlike, and put a load of options into the menus so you can make it 'feel' like BF3 did.

We put a couple of hours in last night and all agreed it's a much better game. DICE made the changes a fair few weeks ago (there was a reasonably sizeable write-up at Eurogamer), but we got so fucked off with BF4 it's taken us this long to get round to having a session on it again.

Recommended if you've not played for a while!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:19 
ugvm'er at heart...

The last DLC has dropped... and it's pretty good fun. Played a few hours last night and got my ass kicked as usual in terms of K/D, but still finished top 3 a couple of times due to doing the novel thing of playing the objective :D

No lag, no glitches, it seems to be running ok. Only took them a year to get it right.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 13:45 
UltraMod

Trooper wrote:
The last DLC has dropped... and it's pretty good fun. Played a few hours last night and got my ass kicked as usual in terms of K/D, but still finished top 3 a couple of times due to doing the novel thing of playing the objective :D

No lag, no glitches, it seems to be running ok. Only took them a year to get it right.

Just in time for Battlefield: Ferguson Edition to drop.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:56 
ugvm'er at heart...

Battlefield Hardline Beta is up again till the end of the week, and annoyingly it's actually pretty good fun.

It has 3 modes. Heist which was the beta mode last time and is the same as it was. Conquest, which is standard battlefield conquest, but hardline has smaller maps and more people, 20v20 on a small map, so it's a bit more frantic. The other mode in the beta is Hotwire, which is a lot of fun. Same as conquest, but the flags are vehicles and you capture them by getting them above a certain speed.

It helps that small arms do damage to vehicles now, so even if your on foot with only a handgun, you can still play a part.

It'[s not a BF4 replacement, it's a lot smaller scale than that, it feels more like a Battlefield version of COD, which is no bad thing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:02 
UltraMod

Battlefield: Ferguson edition? No thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:00 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
Battlefield Hardline Beta is up again till the end of the week, and annoyingly it's actually pretty good fun.

It has 3 modes. Heist which was the beta mode last time and is the same as it was. Conquest, which is standard battlefield conquest, but hardline has smaller maps and more people, 20v20 on a small map, so it's a bit more frantic. The other mode in the beta is Hotwire, which is a lot of fun. Same as conquest, but the flags are vehicles and you capture them by getting them above a certain speed.

It helps that small arms do damage to vehicles now, so even if your on foot with only a handgun, you can still play a part.

It'[s not a BF4 replacement, it's a lot smaller scale than that, it feels more like a Battlefield version of COD, which is no bad thing.

The primary issue I've got with it is the €70 they're asking, one to grab in an inevitable future sale I think.

A mate is kicking the beta around and I expect reportage from him tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 15:39 
ugvm'er at heart...

Unfortunately, having played a few more rounds, the netcode is still just as terrible as always. Get on a bad server and you can shoot people in the head at point blank range, twice, with the hits registering on screen, and they'll still kill you and show as having 100 life left.

Ah well...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:26 
Hello Hello Hello

Very non-plussed beta report from my chum. Didn't find much of anything to like about it, maps too small, too many players, action chaotic and unfocused, cars handle like shit, incongruous setting, graphics no better than BF3/4. Could see some potential with smaller teams playing tactically, but fundamentally unimpressed at this stage.

So that'll be Grid2 and BF3/4 tomorrow, then.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:26 
Hello Hello Hello

Battlefield 4 has continued to get free DLC updates over the course of 2015 (well I think they're free, we've all got the Premium edition so maybe they come with that, I don't know) - which in the main have been very good.

There are reworkings of maps from BF2 and BF3, in the case of the BF2 maps it's amazing to play them again in modern-o-vision with the destructible Frostbite engine, there are also Community maps which I guess is a nice way of saying that DICE got people to make stuff for them and paid them no money.

The hacking is somewhat ridiculous though, you need to get on a server running Fairfight on the backend, and preferably a decent clan server with admins around - otherwise it can get silly. (Consoles won't have this problem though.)

Overall though still a very enjoyable game (ever since they got the basic game fixed, which took about a year.....), and it's doing us very well for our weekly blast. We've also rented a mega-cheap private, unranked server so we can play 2v2 or 3v3 with our favourite maps/modes/rules without interruptions, which costs about a fiver a month which is daft cheap. (From a company called i3D.net, I don't know much about it, one of the other chaps sorted it out for us.)

This a cheap game now (the PC Premium version is currently £15 on origin and I guess it's had similar price cuts on console too) - you could do a lot worse for FPS shenanigans IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 17:00 
Hello Hello Hello

:hat:

https://gfycat.com/IllegalTimelyKoala

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 17:26 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

That's some skills

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 17:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

That was me. I wasn't even really paying attention as I did it.

Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3