Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: MAME Challenge
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 13:45 
Excellent Member

Playing with the analogue stick may be more fun and authentic, but i'm much shittier with it. Still haven't beaten my score.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 23:56 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Attachment:
0001.png

<4353880>

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:25 
Numbskull

Wahoo! This was by miles my personal best - up until then it was always around the 3 million mark. There was one extra life - I'm not sure whether it was for the bonus stage or for reaching a certain score.

<6458950>

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 23:05 
Chinny chin chin

No mishaps this time with it going back to Windows so I can submit my new score of <8753570>

Attachment:
photo-8.jpg

It is remarkable how the game eases up in difficultly after level 4. The pillar section near the end of level 2 and the middle part of level 4 have always been my bogeymen (and I lost lives on both tonight) since I first got that far in the game. Only lost my final life at the end of level 8 by taking a chance at the end of level baddie by lingering for half a second too long for a shot. You have to watch out for the fact that the game starts to speed up the return fire which, being out of practice, I'd forgotten.

With practice I could probably best this score but it's been a very busy week and I only had 4 or 5 goes to get to my aborted score earlier in the week, and then 1 final go this evening which happily came together. I have a feeling last time we tried this I didn't do that well although I probably didn't have the Xbox analogue controller back then. The original game also had analogue controls so using the analogue thumb stick feels quite natural.

I'm off to play the Amstrad version now:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:24 
Numbskull

Many thanks Zaphod for organising the tourney and congratulations to Dr Zoidberg for the win.

I've had a lot of fun with this, especially getting into games I normally wouldn't have persevered with. Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:46 
8-Bit Champion

Scores for Space Harrier

Code:
Space Harrier
chinnyhill10: 8,753,570
Dr Zoidberg: 6,970,580
MrC: 6,458,950
RuySan: 5,082,900
YOG: 4,526,890
zaphod79: 4,353,880
TheVision: 2,359,680
krazywookie: 1,583,930

Final overall scores :

Code:
46 - Dr Zoidberg
39 - Zaphod79
37 - MrC
36 - YOG
25 - Thevision
21 - Chinnyhill10
14 - AtrocityExhibition
14 - Kraziewookie
8 - Grim...
7 - Saturnalian
7 - Ruysan

Congrats to Zoidberg and both MrC and YOG were neck and neck most of the way but MrC just edged out in the final game

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:45 
Decapodian

Woo hoo!

Thanks for organising this Zaphod.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 15:00 
Excellent Member

Wish i joined sooner. I love this kind of challenges, and i got to know a classic like Space Harrier finally.

Thanks Zaphod

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 15:31 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Congrats, better players than me!

Sorry I didn't take part in the last couple, RL bah.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 18:11 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Thanks Zaphod! my favorite was Flicky by a mile :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 18:32 
Decapodian

Same here. A really nice find.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 19:23 
Numbskull

Flicky was indeed great fun, I'd never heard of it before this challenge (if my memory isn't failing I think we have to thank Romanista for that nomination).

Hope we can do this again soon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 20:37 
Excellent Member

Indeed. Now i'm playing on Zaphod's retroleague and it's also loads of fun, but the games sometimes are too primitive for my tastes.

I got so nostalgic that i went to look on the thread of the league i once organized. The rivalry between Grim and Zardoz was of epic proportions. Even if they were usually fighting for second worse place.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:09 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Yep! Thanks for sorting this Zaphod. I would have had another stab at Space Harrier but illness prevented it over the weekend... Pah.

It's got me back into discovering and playing old games again though. I've discovered a new SNES emulator that seems pretty zippy so I'm going to get a new SNES USB pad.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:58 
Hello Hello Hello

Rather off-topic but this is a MAME thread I suppose :D

Last night I was playing Chase HQ in MAME because Chase HQ is a timeless classic. I also completed it on one credit which isn't something that I manage very often.

Thereafter I wondered how MAME had come on since I last got a full set of ROMs/CHDs in 2006, so having been slightly lubricated by a 'glass' of wine I thought bollocks to it and did what I've been thinking of doing for a while - and thus ordered a complete up-to-date MAME set from Retro Burner UK.

Current version is 0.164, and it now runs to, wait for it...... NEARLY 250GB! They've added in laser disc games at some point and these are BIG.

You can get a set without the laser disc games and other CHD games, on 9 DVDs for £16, but I was in an all or nothing sort of mood.

Needless to say no one's going to burn 250GB worth of DVDs so instead it's supplied on a 250GB portable hard drive and costs £95, which I duly paid with PayPal.

Once it's arrived if anyone else wants a copy by all means just lob a portable hard drive in the post and I'll copy it over and post it back.

There were quite a lot of games in the last MAME build I was using that weren't working to any sort of playable degree or at all, that I really wanted a go at, quite a few of the more modern 3D SEGA games for example, so I'm looking forward to seeing those in a fully playable state.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:43 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I may take you up on that offer when they come and of course, I'll chuck you a couple of quid.

I did download a full set a while ago but it was nowhere near 250gb.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:55 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:09 
Excellent Member

isn't there some kind of underground-gamer equivalent nowadays where i can download that from?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:14 
Hello Hello Hello

Achilles wrote:
I did look at updating my 2007 Mame set a year or so ago but when I saw that they had put every single Deal or No Deal and similar gambling game in, I just had to back away with a face like in "The Scream"

Yes I've downloaded the MAMEUI64 build to match the ROMs, and of course you can load it up without any of the ROMs being present and look at the games list, I did notice a load of fruit machines in there but the status on them all is 'non-working'. It'd be very interesting if they get the later Scorpion5 and suchlike stuff working, as they were never incorporated into a public release of MFME. There's some pretty tough encryption on some of the new stuff as well.

Quote:
I wasnt too impressed that all the CHD's had changed too, some would convert, but some wouldn't and just decided that I wouldnt play all the ones in the existing 18 DVD set, so why get another massive amount that I also wouldn't play. :D

This was always the problem with MAME, with every release a load of stuff that was working in the last release would break and you'd have to go scrabbling around for updated ROMs. I appreciate they always prioritise accurate emulation over everything else, but still frustrating.

This is why I'm just doing a POINT IN TIME acquisition of a full set of ROMs/CHDs/VCHDs and a matching build of MAME, it'll do me for years. (My last one has done me for nine years!)

Quote:
I do remember one Saturday night back in 1999 that I was so engrossed with Chase HQ that I nearly didn't go out to the nighclub! Those were the days.

Completing ChaseHQ on one credit is a real accomplishment, to be a god try doing one of the Metal Slug ones.

Yes I was quite surprised to finish it on a single credit. I even fucked up on Stage 5 and had to use a turbo to get to the escaping villain so I thought I didn't stand a chance, but somehow managed to get him down with a few seconds on the clock.

Score was over 10 million which is a new personal best as well.

Then I played some Dangun Feveron, bullet hell shooter with an incredible disco soundtrack :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:54 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:25 
Hello Hello Hello

The disk has just arrived!

The full MAME164 collection runs to..... 433GB. (He's sent it on a portable 500GB drive.)

REPORTAGE will follow, once I've copied it over to my PC.

I will also need to investigate buying a new NAS, as my private cloud has taken a sudden lurch towards capacity.

I was going to try and get my leg over with Mrs Hearthly this morning as Hearthly Jnr is consumed by Ben & Holly's Little Kingdom on Amazon Prime. MAME is more exciting though.

Then again, it'll take about three hours to copy it all over......

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:46 
Unpossible!

What about the other 2 hours and 55 minutes?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:06 
Hello Hello Hello

DavPaz wrote:
What about the other 2 hours and 55 minutes?

Attachment:
badum.JPG

Hearthly Jnr has stopped watching Ben & Holly now anyway. Another cup of tea then.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 18:19 
Hello Hello Hello

Right, I do this so you don't have to.

Spent a fair while tussling with MAME this afternoon to get it to my required configuration but I'm finally there, (I'd done quite a lot of tweaking over the years on my last collection), so if anyone now wants a shiny bang-up-to-date version of MAME that'll work agreeably out of the box, now is the time to pop a portable 500GB hard drive in the post to me. (All I'd ask is that you pay for return postage and packing, and I'd use Recorded Delivery due to the intrinsic value of the drive.) I've lashed out £95 but I've got what I wanted out of it so I'm happy, and it's always good to spread around some emulation fun :)

PROBLEMS ENCOUNTERED (should note here this is in no way the fault of Retro Burner who has supplied an impeccably complete collection, it's just down to the complexity and nuances of MAME itself).

Three versions of MAME were supplied, I'm way out of date on MAME (last updated 9 years ago) so figured I'd better give them all a whirl. There was MAMEARCADE, MAMEARCADEUI64 and MAMEUIFX32 (all at version 0.164 as per the ROMset). I quickly binned off MAMEARCADE as that seems to be a sort of limited frontend designed for MAME cabs or something like that, where you haven't got a keyboard and mouse.

So then it was trying to choose between MAMEARCADEUI64 and MAMEUIFX32, both seemed to have their positives. The ARCADE version understood the history.dat file (which populates a pane in the UI with game history and trivia, specs, cheats, and suchlike, and is quite useful), but the FX variant added in autofire and high scores (but lost history.dat), and had a nicer UI, stuff like that. (The ARCADE version is actually closest to the official build, the FX variant is unofficial but adds in extras.)

Autofire and high scores made FX the default winner so I focused on that, but high scores didn't seem to be working, and the lack of history.dat support was bugging me, especially since it worked fine in my FX version from 2006.

So I was flitting back between the two versions trying to work it all out, but the settings between the two seemed to be intertwined somehow, despite them having their own .ini files.

Turns out that whilst they have their own .ini files, they also have some shared .ini files in subfolders, and don't like sharing them. So ARCADE for example doesn't understand what autofire is because it's not officially supported and wants history.dat in a particular place. Set autofire to on in FX, then launch ARCADE, and it'll turn off autofire in FX via the shared .ini file. Try to tell FX where history.dat is via the entries that used to work, and ARCADE will simply delete it out of the .ini file without telling you it's done it.

Then there's fun stuff like turning off the 'anti-aliasing' style filter which I really don't like because I prefer the old big pixel look. This was spilt across two different options screens in my last version of MAME, but has now become a single setting called 'Bitmap Prescaling' on a different options screen, which has the helpful tooltip of 'There is no help topic associated with this item'.

Meh, you get the idea..... (And the whole process was made a lot more awkward by the two versions fighting over shared .ini folders in subfolders, in the end I Treesized the motherfucker to find out what the fuck it was they were modifying.)

Oh yes, and it turns out FX needs the history.dat file in a subfolder called 'dats' whereas ARCADE will read it straight out of the folder its own exe resides in, and also you need hiscore.dat in the dats folder, which wasn't supplied and I got from this amazing website that dropped through a timewarp from fifteen years ago. (This has always been the case TBH, but like I'm going to remember that from nine years ago.)

http://highscore.mameworld.info/ - <<< Established 2000 and I swear the page design and HTML hasn't changed since then, but it's still regularly updated!

And another thing hiscore.dat can conflict with nvram files so I've done a purge on nvram files and allowed it to create new ones where necessary.

ANYWAY IT'S ALL DONE NOW and I've copied over the results to the media centre PC so I can play MAME with a 360 pad on the big telly. (ARCADE has been relegated down to a 'dontusemame' subfolder.)

It's a complete collection so all artwork/resources is there for cabinets, samples, manuals, marquees, flyers, history, etc.

If anyone wants it just let me know, it will now operate on a pretty simple basis.

1) Plug the hard drive in.
2) Double click on mameuifx32.exe
3) Choose your game, pick up a 360 pad, and play.
4) Your high scores will be saved if supported, history.dat works, autofire is supported, and all the extra niceties that FX supports will be present.

MAME has definitely moved on since my last update, there are 1000+ new fully working games in the collection (up from 2800 to over 4000), and stuff like Virtua Racer (which was just about included but horribly broken and unplayable) is in there and works perfectly. (Even down to the extent that the shoulder buttons on the 360 pad are accelerate and brake, right out of the box.)

It's going to take me a while to work through it all but this is the sort of challenge I enjoy :)

Attachment:
vr.JPG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 21:15 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Expect a PM in the next couple of days just as soon as I can get a hard drive. This excites me loads!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 22:49 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:09 
Hello Hello Hello

Achilles wrote:
Woah 433 Gb, thats mental (what you called me yesterday iirc ;) ) Pot / Kettle.

380GB of that seems to be the CHD files, the laserdisc ones in particular are huge. (Firefox, the Atari game from 1984, has a 12GB CHD.)

There might be a good laserdisc game in there, but I haven't found one yet :D They're certainly interesting curiosities though.

Quote:
However I think Mame has for at least the past 5 years included all the laserdisk games, then add a trillion "Deal or No Deal" games to 'make the landlord rich' type games then it sure adds up. If I discover immortality, I still wouldnt play them. Although I probably would find out what happens at the end of R-type.

I have custom filters on that only show ORIGINAL and WORKING games, so I only see one of each game and not the fifty clones that stuff like Pac-Man had, any non-working games aren't shown, and MAMEFX only includes arcade games, so all the Deal Or No Deal fruities for example (none of which work anyway as it looks like they haven't cracked the security), simply aren't in its list to start with.

That leaves me with a list of just over 4000 games to choose from. (Unfiltered it's over 10000.)

Quote:
I only skimmed your post, cos it makes my long post's look short (no offence intended, I'm sure you understand) but can you test out the LD games out please with your next post Hearthly such as Dragons Lair and Firefox?

TIA!

Dragon's Lair isn't in there, I think it's still considered active intellectual property or something. Firefox is though, it's rubbish :D 1984 sprites layered over fuzzy laserdisc video and pumpy gameplay!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:45 

I use Mameui64. Runs pretty much perfectly "out of the box", but I suppose it doesn't have an interface suitable for TVs.

Just now I discovered that MAME now includes old 70s/80s hand held games like the ones from Coleco and Entex! Amazing to play these again.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 16:07 
Unpossible!

Is there a non-chd collection available for "postal order"?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 16:18 
Hello Hello Hello

DavPaz wrote:
Is there a non-chd collection available for "postal order"?

Without all the CHDs it runs to around 53GB, so would fit on a 64GB USB key or SD card or similar.

Currently available for £12, the world's gone mad! - http://www.ebuyer.com/707165-ebuyer-com ... gbusbwhite

Would be happy to copy it all (minus CHDs) to such a gizmo and post back.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 16:22 
Unpossible!

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Expect a PM

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 18:47 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Just tell the torrent not to download them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 20:49 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
Just tell the torrent not to download them.

Ah! But which torrent?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 21:56 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 0:27 
8-Bit Champion

Achilles wrote:
Colour and sound in 1981, better than my ZX81 could manage.

*Stereo* sound (I had one as well as a few other TOMY / grandstand games , and some game'n'watch handhelds)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 15:58 
Hello Hello Hello

MAME NEWS.

So it turns out that not even MAMEFX is ideal, due to the way the autofire works.

You can turn autofire on/off on a per-button basis for each game, which is fine when a button only does a single function as fire. However, where one button has a dual role it's simply not good enough.

Simple scenario would be R-Type, which I'm sure we all know. (And this basic concept of one button doing two things applies to a surprising number of games, mainly shoot-em-ups.)

So in R-Type:

BUTTON A - Is fire AND charge shot (tap for fire, hold down for charge shot).
BUTTON B - Fire your little satellite thingy off.

So if you set BUTTON A to autofire in MAME then all you can do with that button is autofire, there's no way of doing a charge shot. It doesn't matter if you assign multiple joypad buttons to the same button, as they all have the autofire applied at the MAME level.

Now in the past I've got around this by having a joypad that allowed setting autofire/rapidfire with a little physical slider on a per-button basis, so you could assign two joypad buttons to the same button in the game, and have one on rapidfire and one on normal. So in the R-Type example buttons A and B on the joypad could be assigned to BUTTON A in the game, have A on the joypad as rapidfire on the pad (so it autofires when the button is pressed), and B as normal. Therefore button A on the pad is normal autofire, button B is charge shot - even though they're both mapped to BUTTON A in MAME.

However, that pad has the old 15-pin soundcard connector on it, and I no longer have a card with that connector on it in my PC. (I have historically run with a proper Creative X-Fi soundcard for sound, and then an old Blaster FX card just for pad support, but no longer.)

There is an answer though, MAMEPLUS.

MAMEPLUS allows you to accomplish what I described above, but at the software level in MAME, so you can assign a custom button in MAME to a button in the game, and then apply autofire to that button. So the end result is the same, in that when playing R-Type on my 360 pad, A is autofire, X is charge shot (mapped to BUTTON A in MAME as a custom button with autofire applied), and B is satellite thingy.

It needs a per-game customisation, but it's a one time only deal and it remembers it thereafter.

BAD NEWS is MAMEPLUS hasn't been updated since March this year so is running on 0.159 as opposed to 0.164, but having looked through what was added between the two versions I've not really missed much, and I haven't hit any ROMsets that it's complained about yet. (As ROMs can change between versions as well.)

MAMEPLUS also supports high scores and all the other little niceties I'm keen on.

So MAMEPLUS is now my weapon of choice, hopefully that's the final iteration I need to muck about with now!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 17:06 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Personally I don't like to use autofire in Mame so I don't think this will be a problem for me.

I'm still excited though!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 17:24 
Hello Hello Hello

TheVision wrote:
Personally I don't like to use autofire in Mame so I don't think this will be a problem for me.

I'm still excited though!

I'd be inclined to agree and if I had an arcade stick or similar I'd happily do without autofire. However, an XBox 360 pad just isn't a comfortable proposition to mash a fire button for ten minutes or more at a time (I can easily last that long in a game of Vapor Trail, for example) - it starts to genuinely hurt my thumb and hand after a while!

Anyway, I've added the MAMEPLUS executable into the root of the MAME folder, so folks can choose MAMEFX or MAMEPLUS depending on which they prefer. They don't seem to fight over .ini files like MAMEUI and MAMEFX do either and happily co-exist :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 13:18 
Hello Hello Hello

So after over a week of MAME-ing I've got as far as the letter 'D', currently on Dragon Breed (Irem, 1989).

I'm working my way through the entire list of games from 0-Z, not playing every single one, but loading up anything I even remotely like the look of from the screenshot, or it's a genre I like, or the description interests me, or I have some memory of it.

In some cases they're games I've never so much as set on eyes before, such as 'Daioh' which is a Japanese only shoot-em-up from 1993. Nothing singularly amazing about it, but I ended up playing it for over an hour.

I think it'll take me a while to get through the entire alphabet, and this is just my first pass to find stuff I like or interests me. From here I'll do a second pass through anything that's got a played count of 1 or higher, and then start to put together a Favourites folder.

Oh well, at least I didn't drop £250 on a GTX970 to play through GTAV, and the bloody thing has had nothing to do since..... :belm:

Attachment:
dragon.JPG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 14:12 
Decapodian

I'll be interested to see what your highlights are.
When you get to the J, give Jungler a go - very few people have ever played it but I love it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 14:32 
Bad Girl

Dragon Breed was one of the first games I played on the Amiga. Fact fans.

If you're a fan of facts about me, which, granted, is quite niche.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:59 
Hello Hello Hello

Saturnalian wrote:

I pity the fool who isn't interested in facts about you.

Spent a silly amount of time playing this last night, it's all in Japanese but I can work most of the minigames out. Just avoid the quiz games!

I'm finding it hard to even fit Hearthstone and Pinball Arcade in at the moment, let alone anything else.

MAME FTW!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:14 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:

Same here. Not really played it, but saw someone else playing it. In the same day as Saint Dragon. Liked the second so much better, which is why i copied for me. I only returned to Dragon Breed many years later, probably in MAME.

And yes, Saint Dragon is also better on arcades. Try it Hearthly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:46 
Hello Hello Hello

RuySan wrote:

And yes, Saint Dragon is also better on arcades. Try it Hearthly.

It's a long way to 'S'!

I have played Saint Dragon before though and seem to recall that I enjoyed it. It got converted for all the home formats too as memory calls.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 13:08 
Hello Hello Hello

Gah! Check this shit out!

Playing Gradius 4 on my PC and it skips frames like a bastard (I leave all games set to autoskip so they drop frames if they need to), in the swizziest graphical bits it drops down to the minimum of 10/10, which is not far off watching a slideshow.

Exactly the same section on Mrs Hearthly's PC and it maintains full fluidity at 0/10.

(On the media centre PC which has uninspiring dual-core i3 in it, it's even worse than mine, skipping frames even on the title screens!)

I know Mrs Hearthly's PC has a more modern processor than mine, Devil's Canyon i5-4790 @ 3.5GHz, compared to my rather elderly Core i7-920 oc/ed to 3.41GHz, but I really wasn't expecting this sort of differential.

Curses!

Admittedly it's emulating a lot of hardware, but even so, quite surprising that MAME can still bring a modern, powerful, quad-core CPU to its knees!

Attachment:
emu.JPG

Attachment:
grad1.JPG

Attachment:
grad2.JPG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:43 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I didn't think Gradius 4 was that intense but clearly i was wrong. Fair play to you Hearthly, putting this much time and effort into MAME is very admirable.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 20:03 
Hello Hello Hello

Yeah there's quite a lot of fancy hardware in Gradius 4, although admittedly it doesn't seem to be used to obvious massive effect in the game itself! (Although once you start noticing it there is quite a lot of nice graphical trickery going on, but very much keeping in the theme of the Gradius games so not so much in your face.)

Overall I'm really enjoying doing a 'full sweep' through all of MAME again, some nine years after I did it for the last time. I'm basically just doing my daily quest in Hearthstone, and then it's immediately over to the MAME-O-TRON :)

Even the rubbish games are interesting :hat:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 22:41 
Excellent Member

When i still lived with my parents, i had a friend that used to come over for some gaming, and sometimes we would load random games of MAME. Since we're so competitive, it was loads of fun, specially with rubbish ones

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:05 
Hello Hello Hello

RuySan wrote:
When i still lived with my parents, i had a friend that used to come over for some gaming, and sometimes we would load random games of MAME. Since we're so competitive, it was loads of fun, specially with rubbish ones

One of my best chums is over for his annual visit to the IOM later this month, normally we fire up the old (original!) chipped XBox which has MAMEOX on it and play a few familiar favourites (Football Champ, Hyper Sports, Track & Field). We'll be able to mix it up quite a lot this year with the new MAME collection. (I've bought two new wired 360 pads specifically for this role.)

The original XBox was also very limited in what it could run in MAME with its CPU and RAM, whereas that will be removed from the equation now.

Doubtless Football Champ will still be on the menu, generally speaking I get at least one red card for repeatedly punching his players' lights out.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 13:55 

And now I just discovered that Raiden II emulation is working. Don't know when that happened, but: WOO!

Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next