Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Derek
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 22:14 

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
markg wrote:
Ha ha, this thread reads like a newspaper comments section with a load of outraged Dorises from Dorset moaning about something they know nothing about but reckon should probably be stopped.

Given that no one has cast any aspersions on you personally for the fact you like it, merely expressed differing views on the source material, is that sort of response really justified?

And "know nothing about"? I've got two severely disabled relatives, but we can disappear up our own arses having a "some of my best mates are disabled" bollocks contest.

Different people react differently to different things. I'm not sure that requires name calling, does it?

you fucking spacker.

DYSWIDT. ;)
"know nothing about" was referring to people who obviously haven't even watched the fucking programme in question before offering their opinion on it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 22:16 
INFINITE POWAH

markg wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
markg wrote:
Ha ha, this thread reads like a newspaper comments section with a load of outraged Dorises from Dorset moaning about something they know nothing about but reckon should probably be stopped.

Given that no one has cast any aspersions on you personally for the fact you like it, merely expressed differing views on the source material, is that sort of response really justified?

And "know nothing about"? I've got two severely disabled relatives, but we can disappear up our own arses having a "some of my best mates are disabled" bollocks contest.

Different people react differently to different things. I'm not sure that requires name calling, does it?

you fucking spacker.

DYSWIDT. ;)
"know nothing about" was referring to people who obviously haven't even watched the fucking programme in question before offering their opinion on it.

Oh, well, that's a fine basis for proffering that sort of opinion on other people, then. Even if they have actually all seen it.

Carry on.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 22:19 
Unpossible!

I haven't seen your arse and I wouldn't want to watch that for half an hour

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 22:26 

Yeah, fuck this.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 22:26 
INFINITE POWAH

DavPaz wrote:
I haven't seen your arse and I wouldn't want to watch that for half an hour

yes, yes you would.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 22:27 
INFINITE POWAH

markg wrote:
Yeah, fuck this.

Wotevs, eh.

Seriously, I wasn't trying to start an argument, I just thought you were a little needlessly punchy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 22:31 

It's not you or really anyone, it's just this place has basically been not a lot except depressing this week. Can't be arsed at the mo.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 22:39 
Hibernating Druid

It's because I've not been here.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 23:13 
Chinny chin chin

markg wrote:

I can't speak for others but I have watched at least as much as the C4 commissioning editor must have done in order to order more episodes after the pilot.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 23:18 
Unpossible!

This is all becoming a bit ridiculous now.

The soul has been ripped out of this place and I'm fucking pissed off that we let it happen.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 23:23 
INFINITE POWAH

Blame WTB. And Davpaz.

Fuck's sake, Mark, really? To the point of doing a Cavey and deleting your avatar?

It's not that bad. This place is exactly the same as it's always been, only with less me than there was 18 months ago. Good thing, surely?

Post subject: Derek
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 23:28 

I'm a bit confused by this thread :(

Some people like a show, some don't. People variously like or dislike that show for different reasons, and have shared their opinions.

I know people are annoyed about things that happened at the weekend, but I'm not sure how that relates to this thread in particular.

I don't know what else to say, but I'm worried that if this is how all threads are going to go there's not going to be much point in carrying on reading :'(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 23:33 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Mimi wrote:
I'm a bit confused by this thread :(

Some people like a show, some don't. People variously like or dislike that show for different reasons, and have shared their opinions.

I know people are annoyed about things that happened at the weekend, but I'm not sure how that relates to this thread in particular.

I don't know what else to say, but I'm worried that if this is how all threads are going to go there's not going to be much point in carrying on reading :'(

TOO MUCH WORRY IN THIS POST. THAT'S IT I'M LEAVING.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 23:34 
INFINITE POWAH

YES, FuCk ThIs I'm OfF

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 23:38 

Hmmm. I guess I just don't understand.

OK, ignore me, I'm obviously missing something.

:P and/or :(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 23:42 
baron of techno

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
YES, FuCk ThIs I'm OfF

That's a bit poor.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 23:46 
INFINITE POWAH

Fucking hardly. This has gone through ridiculous and out the other side into non-parodyable.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 23:46 
INFINITE POWAH

I'm looking at Davpaz here, obv.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 0:30 
Unpossible!

I'll speak my mind in a different thread.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 0:33 
INFINITE POWAH

It's a GIANT MIND AND CAN'T BE CONTAINED.

Ahem.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:05 
Gogmagog

Conciller resigns after saying "that disabled children should be "put down" because they cost the authority too much money".

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:40 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

MaliA wrote:
Conciller resigns after saying "that disabled children should be "put down" because they cost the authority too much money".

I refuse to believe that this is a complete story. Unfortunately, the only contradictory response is his own defence, which is therefore discredited and not reported in detail anyway.

However, the story goes that he said this to a Disable Rights campaigner. This is variously reported as either a 'Final Solution' suggestion or actively mocking the disabled. I suggest that it is neither. He says that he make the response angry after coming out of a meeting discussing council cuts, and therefore am extremely inclined to take his word that this was an off colour joke at his frustration as to how the proposed cuts (by others) would fall on disabled children.

I'd be less inclined to take that view if he had said it to someone who wasn't a disabled rights campaigner. The idea though that he would say that, to her, in any other spirit is simply ludicrous, whatever type of twat he may be.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:58 
Gogmagog

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
MaliA wrote:

I refuse to believe that this is a complete story. Unfortunately, the only contradictory response is his own defence, which is therefore discredited and not reported in detail anyway.

However, the story goes that he said this to a Disable Rights campaigner. This is variously reported as either a 'Final Solution' suggestion or actively mocking the disabled. I suggest that it is neither. He says that he make the response angry after coming out of a meeting discussing council cuts, and therefore am extremely inclined to take his word that this was an off colour joke at his frustration as to how the proposed cuts (by others) would fall on disabled children.

I'd be less inclined to take that view if he had said it to someone who wasn't a disabled rights campaigner. The idea though that he would say that, to her, in any other spirit is simply ludicrous, whatever type of twat he may be.

According to #axzz2MBnr4aSl" class="postlink">this, the remark was made in 2011.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 13:19 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Cornwall thinks it is currently 2011. Surprised that they've caught up that far.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 13:24 
Gogmagog

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Cornwall thinks it is currently 2011. Surprised that they've caught up that far.

Sweet, I'm still 21, then.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 13:32 

Meanwhile, the Lord Mayor of Oxford is censured for possibly (the councillors are unsure on what happened) telling a 13 year old she looked sexy. (Oxford Mail).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 13:33 

Kern wrote:
Meanwhile, the Lord Mayor of Oxford is censured for possibly (the councillors are unsure on what happened) telling a 13 year old she looked sexy. (Oxford Mail).

(EDIT: I suppose this should go into the 'Disgraced DJ (Deceased)' thread)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 16:34 
Sleepyhead

MaliA wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:

Sweet, I'm still 21, then.

O RLY?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 17:16 
Excellent Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21613233

He is bringing Brent back for Comic Relief.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 18:28 

'The Office' is over ten years old? Blimey.

In my third year at university, we'd go to the Goats for cheap beer, then head to a friend's room and watch an episode of 'The Office'. We did this almost every night. Happy times.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 18:50 
ugvm'er at heart...

Kern wrote:

In my third year at university, we'd go to the Goats for cheap beer, then head to a friend's room and watch an episode of 'The Office'. We did this almost every night. Happy times.

Watching and dreaming of your future working lives? High hopes indeed! :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 20:30 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:
Kern wrote:

I remember when the Office was on and I had been in IT a couple of years. Happy days, I looked forward to work on a Monday I enjoyed it that much, now I’m a bit jaded as a manager and I’m not as into technology as I used to be, too many people tell me technology things these days where once I would be telling them.

Still I pays pretty well and I enjoy it more that I dislike it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 20:37 

Trooper wrote:
Kern wrote:

:'(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 16:20 
Unpossible!

Quote:
"What makes Derek a different kind of sitcom - if it is even a sitcom - is its sincerity. Certainly the last few years, and I'm responsible for a lot of it, there's been this comedy of cynicism and irony. I've tried to leave that behind. There's more sincerity, which sometimes confuses people because they're looking for the undercutting joke."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27019524

Well, there you go. Sincerity is the new sneer.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 16:39 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Is he still saying that Derek isn't meant to be mentally disabled? Goodness.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 18:37 
I forgot about this - how vain

I feel like Derek is an attempt at looking at an issue with kindness (and written with extremely broad, emotive, strokes that at times border on a certain cynicism) but with no real understanding of the material.

Gervais has clear history with old people' homes - his mother worked at one (I believe) and his appreciation of them is obvious. That shines through as a certain believability in that aspect of the show.

But his treatment of Derek, whilst it is well meaning, is written from an understanding of people with Special Educational Needs that has come from little to no interaction with such people. It's like if I wrote a sitcom about why Muslims are people too. It would have it heart in the right place but it would show no real understanding of a culture I have little to no experience of.

Because most people don't have experience of people with SEN then they either a) assume its fine or b) have a icky feeling they can't articulate about the show.

I certainly feel like the latter. The show, whether cynically or not, has a good message - but it talks about material we can't judge the validity of, and we have little faith in gervais to represent well.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 19:25 
UltraMod

Dr Lave wrote:
I feel like Derek is an attempt at looking at an issue with kindness (and written with extremely broad, emotive, strokes that at times border on a certain cynicism) but with no real understanding of the material.

Gervais has clear history with old people' homes - his mother worked at one (I believe) and his appreciation of them is obvious. That shines through as a certain believability in that aspect of the show.

But his treatment of Derek, whilst it is well meaning, is written from an understanding of people with Special Educational Needs that has come from little to no interaction with such people. It's like if I wrote a sitcom about why Muslims are people too. It would have it heart in the right place but it would show no real understanding of a culture I have little to no experience of.

Because most people don't have experience of people with SEN then they either a) assume its fine or b) have a icky feeling they can't articulate about the show.

I certainly feel like the latter. The show, whether cynically or not, has a good message - but it talks about material we can't judge the validity of, and we have little faith in gervais to represent well.

:this:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 22:29 
Excellent Member

I think that Kev is the best thing in this show

This is from S2 and they didn't put it in as they couldn't film it for laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISw_0He14ZM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 22:33 
Excellent Member

Quote:

I work in Slough and went for a walk at lunchtime today

This http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/16436 has all been knocked down now!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 23:21 
INFINITE POWAH

All I know is that any time any of us saw that fucker in the ULU bar mumping cheap beer he was a loud, obnoxious cunt.

more so than me, I mean.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:37 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

You mean Kev?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:42 
INFINITE POWAH

Gervais

Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next