Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Derek
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 14:47 
Chinny chin chin

markg wrote:
Right, so it would be ok if it was someone else but because it's Ricky Gervais then it is cruel and is just the same as Love Thy Neighbour. Yeah.

I think by playing the character himself he makes it far worse, yes. I don't think he has the ability and as I say he has so much baggage associated with him. He's also not a man who can blend into character in the same way someone like Ronnie Barker could.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 14:51 

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
markg wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
The problem with Gervais' characters (including Ricky Gervais himself) is that there are a significant number of fans who don't buy into the ironic nature of some of the things that they say/do. We also have to take his word that it is ironic, and not intentionally playing to that audience. We'll never be able to prove that.

Al Murray came across the same thing with the pub landlord until one day he realised that he was, in effect, playing to an Arena full of BNP members who were hanging on the every word of his character, stopped doing it for a while and readdressed the nature of the show.

Right, so you think that some people are watching Derek and thinking what, exactly?

It's not like it's the true meaning of the show is hidden away behind a layer of irony.

Retardz are funny LOLZ

Do you know what, they occasionally undeniably are. Anyone with any experience of being a carer will tell you that. But that's not even what 99% of the show is about.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 15:03 
Sleepyhead

I have only seen it for a minute or two, during which time Karl Pilkigton was stealing things to sell on at a car boot sale, and it was hilarious.

I can see why the portrayal might be initially seen as offensive, but from what I've read the show makes it pretty clear that Derek is the good guy. The only issue is, as APOD said, with people who will just laugh at the person who looks and acts a little different. Much as 'Joey' became an insult in the playground, so could 'Derek'.

That, of course, doesn't mean it is in poor taste.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 15:05 

chinnyhill10 wrote:
markg wrote:
Right, so it would be ok if it was someone else but because it's Ricky Gervais then it is cruel and is just the same as Love Thy Neighbour. Yeah.

I think by playing the character himself he makes it far worse, yes. I don't think he has the ability and as I say he has so much baggage associated with him. He's also not a man who can blend into character in the same way someone like Ronnie Barker could.

I can see how it would grate if you just hate Ricky Gervais anyway, especially all the gurning and stuff. But I just find his portrayal to be sympathetic rather than in any way cruel. Also recognisable in an number of ways from people with severe learning disabilities who I know now or have met over the years.

And I'm sorry to Grim... for telling him to fuck off earlier. :luv:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 15:11 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Do you know, I didn't even notice.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 15:13 
Unpossible!

I assumed it was aimed at me.

I cried.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 15:14 

Curiosity wrote:
I have only seen it for a minute or two, during which time Karl Pilkigton was stealing things to sell on at a car boot sale, and it was hilarious.

I can see why the portrayal might be initially seen as offensive, but from what I've read the show makes it pretty clear that Derek is the good guy. The only issue is, as APOD said, with people who will just laugh at the person who looks and acts a little different. Much as 'Joey' became an insult in the playground, so could 'Derek'.

That, of course, doesn't mean it is in poor taste.

Yeah, it's absolutely impossible to legislate for the depths to which kids will sometimes sink to get a laugh or try to insult someone.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 15:19 
Chinny chin chin

DavPaz wrote:
I assumed it was aimed at me.

I cried.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 15:21 
Unpossible!

"I know that guy!"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 15:26 
Chinny chin chin

DavPaz wrote:

"I know that guy!"

Since Blackwood is a Tesco Value Eddie Murphy, has he been tested for presence of horse meat?

Or ham? [boom tish]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 15:33 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Al Murray came across the same thing with the pub landlord until one day he realised that he was, in effect, playing to an Arena full of BNP members who were hanging on the every word of his character, stopped doing it for a while and readdressed the nature of the show.

I've always been so confused by Al Murray. He seems to play the BNP football hooligan sort very well, so much so that I thought he was. Originally I thought it was a joke, then I realised it's not. Now you're telling me it is? Too much to handle.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 16:02 
ugvm'er at heart...

Putting aside the problem of Gervais playing the part and over-egging it, the real depth of it as a show is all to do with the residents still being real people, and not just old. I think it is very sympathetic in its portrayal of old peoples homes, my late mum was a carer in a home for many years, so I guess I might have bit more of a connection to a show about it. I'm not sure if I like it because of Gervais, or despite him :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 16:13 
Gogmagog

Trooper wrote:
Putting aside the problem of Gervais playing the part and over-egging it, the real depth of it as a show is all to do with the residents still being real people, and not just old. I think it is very sympathetic in its portrayal of old peoples homes, my late mum was a carer in a home for many years, so I guess I might have bit more of a connection to a show about it. I'm not sure if I like it because of Gervais, or despite him :D

I spent a fortnight or so working in a retirement home with an occupational therapist. It was an awful place.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 16:19 
ugvm'er at heart...

MaliA wrote:
Trooper wrote:

I spent a fortnight or so working in a retirement home with an occupational therapist. It was an awful place.

I never used to enjoy visiting as a kid, that's for sure, but they did have an awesome conker tree in the garden, so it was a necessary evil.
I did get to the meet the Barron Knights on many an occasion though as are local and used to pop in to entertain the residents, you can imagine my excitement.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 16:31 
INFINITE POWAH

The reason I would put Derek in the "definitely not ironic and basically offensive" category is because it was written by Gervais and Gervais has had quite a thing of making definitely non-ironic "mong" jokes over the last couple of years - it's something he's latched onto and spent ages banging on about on Twitter, and then furiously defending himself from the PC nazis who didn't get the joke.

He's basically a c*nt, and him creating something genuniely warm towards its subject when he has spent ages making jokes about those with learning difficulties is impossible to imagine. Occam's razor and all that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 16:55 
Isn't that lovely?

About 8 years ago he was on a kids christmas show (I think it was actually broadcast on christmas day). Also on there was a dwarf. Gervais was basically insulting this guy throughout the whole show, until he could take it no more, The camera was on one of the other presenters, but in the background, you could see the dwarf about to try and lamp Ricky.

I remember thinking he was really spiteful.

Malc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 19:12 

Sure the dwarf wasn't Warwick Davis?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 19:18 

I didn't like Derek when I saw bits of the first series, partly because I didn't find it funny but also because of Gervais's constant gurning (see also: Christopher Ecclestone in Doctor Who).

I actually quite liked Extras, mostly for some of the 'star' guest performances (I think my favourite was probably Kate Winslet advising on phone sex).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 19:44 
Chinny chin chin

If Derek had a jaunty end theme tune I'd probably forgive it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 20:09 
Isn't that lovely?

GovernmentYard wrote:
Sure the dwarf wasn't Warwick Davis?

No, it wsan't someone I recognised and it was before that series was aired, I would say it was about the first season of Extras.

Malc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 20:21 
Isn't that lovely?

I've not seen Derek, but the adverts made it look like it was belittling mentaly disabled people, so I didn't watch it.

I could take or leave The office, but really liked Extras, I don't really like the one with Karl in, but not sat down to watch a full episode of it, that's just based on the clips I've seen and the adverts. Also not seen the one with Warwick Davies in.

Like I said I really went off him after seeing that Christmas thing, and then more recently the aforementioned twitter argument he had with Herring over the word mong.

Malc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 20:55 

Ha ha, this thread reads like a newspaper comments section with a load of outraged Dorises from Dorset moaning about something they know nothing about but reckon should probably be stopped.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 21:14 
Unpossible!

Won't somebody think of the kids?

Post subject: Derek
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 21:36 
baron of techno

It's yet more proof that teh BBC is out of control and the license fee should be cut cut cut!!!!!1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 22:19 
Awesome
Yes

DavPaz wrote:

"I know that guy!"

He looks like a muppet with his hands being held up on sticks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 22:50 
ugvm'er at heart...

Racist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:32 
Isn't that lovely?

markg wrote:
Ha ha, this thread reads like a newspaper comments section with a load of outraged Dorises from Dorset moaning about something they know nothing about but reckon should probably be stopped.

I'm not saying he should be stopped, just pointing out why I didn't watch it.

Malc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:47 

GovernmentYard wrote:
As for Derek, I didn't see any of it until last week where I caught ten minutes, which began with Pilkington getting pelted with seaweed (I laughed like a drain) and then the tipp-exing of swear words onto crabs (laughed like a choir of drains, forever).

I might watch it again.
I watched that one last night. First one I've seen. Here's my thoughts...

Fair enjoyed it. Glad I'm not fishing anymore or I'd have been writing on the crabs this morning :DD Dunno why everyone thinks Derek's meant to be a mong. The end was nice too :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 22:09 
INFINITE POWAH

markg wrote:

Given that no one has cast any aspersions on you personally for the fact you like it, merely expressed differing views on the source material, is that sort of response really justified?

And "know nothing about"? I've got two severely disabled relatives, but we can disappear up our own arses having a "some of my best mates are disabled" bollocks contest.

Different people react differently to different things. I'm not sure that requires name calling, does it?

you fucking spacker.

DYSWIDT. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 22:12 
Excellent Member

Just watched some of it now, Derek isn't that funny, but Karl and Kev are funny

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 22:14 

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
markg wrote:

Given that no one has cast any aspersions on you personally for the fact you like it, merely expressed differing views on the source material, is that sort of response really justified?

And "know nothing about"? I've got two severely disabled relatives, but we can disappear up our own arses having a "some of my best mates are disabled" bollocks contest.

Different people react differently to different things. I'm not sure that requires name calling, does it?

you fucking spacker.

DYSWIDT. ;)
"know nothing about" was referring to people who obviously haven't even watched the fucking programme in question before offering their opinion on it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 22:16 
INFINITE POWAH

markg wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
markg wrote:

you fucking spacker.

DYSWIDT. ;)
"know nothing about" was referring to people who obviously haven't even watched the fucking programme in question before offering their opinion on it.

Oh, well, that's a fine basis for proffering that sort of opinion on other people, then. Even if they have actually all seen it.

Carry on.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 22:19 
Unpossible!

I haven't seen your arse and I wouldn't want to watch that for half an hour

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 22:26 

Yeah, fuck this.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 22:26 
INFINITE POWAH

DavPaz wrote:
I haven't seen your arse and I wouldn't want to watch that for half an hour

yes, yes you would.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 22:27 
INFINITE POWAH

markg wrote:
Yeah, fuck this.

Wotevs, eh.

Seriously, I wasn't trying to start an argument, I just thought you were a little needlessly punchy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 22:31 

It's not you or really anyone, it's just this place has basically been not a lot except depressing this week. Can't be arsed at the mo.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 22:39 
Hibernating Druid

It's because I've not been here.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 23:13 
Chinny chin chin

markg wrote:

I can't speak for others but I have watched at least as much as the C4 commissioning editor must have done in order to order more episodes after the pilot.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 23:18 
Unpossible!

This is all becoming a bit ridiculous now.

The soul has been ripped out of this place and I'm fucking pissed off that we let it happen.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 23:23 
INFINITE POWAH

Blame WTB. And Davpaz.

Fuck's sake, Mark, really? To the point of doing a Cavey and deleting your avatar?

It's not that bad. This place is exactly the same as it's always been, only with less me than there was 18 months ago. Good thing, surely?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 23:28 

I'm a bit confused by this thread :(

Some people like a show, some don't. People variously like or dislike that show for different reasons, and have shared their opinions.

I know people are annoyed about things that happened at the weekend, but I'm not sure how that relates to this thread in particular.

I don't know what else to say, but I'm worried that if this is how all threads are going to go there's not going to be much point in carrying on reading :'(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 23:33 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Mimi wrote:
I'm a bit confused by this thread :(

Some people like a show, some don't. People variously like or dislike that show for different reasons, and have shared their opinions.

I know people are annoyed about things that happened at the weekend, but I'm not sure how that relates to this thread in particular.

I don't know what else to say, but I'm worried that if this is how all threads are going to go there's not going to be much point in carrying on reading :'(

TOO MUCH WORRY IN THIS POST. THAT'S IT I'M LEAVING.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 23:34 
INFINITE POWAH

YES, FuCk ThIs I'm OfF

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 23:38 

Hmmm. I guess I just don't understand.

OK, ignore me, I'm obviously missing something.

:P and/or :(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 23:42 
baron of techno

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
YES, FuCk ThIs I'm OfF

That's a bit poor.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 23:46 
INFINITE POWAH

Fucking hardly. This has gone through ridiculous and out the other side into non-parodyable.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 23:46 
INFINITE POWAH

I'm looking at Davpaz here, obv.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 0:30 
Unpossible!

I'll speak my mind in a different thread.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 0:33 
INFINITE POWAH

It's a GIANT MIND AND CAN'T BE CONTAINED.

Ahem.

Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next