Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 Post subject: Xenoblade Chronicles X!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 13:56 
Bad Girl

Look at this, a sequel to the greatest ever JRPG ever made. On the day that I completed the first one! Amazing coincidence. It's like the universe wants to make me happy this morning.

It looks sexy! In HD! So let's all speculate which of the new consoles its coming out on...

*whispering*

What?

*more whispering*

WHAT!?

*other person shrugs*

FUCKING WiiU? Oh, COME ON!

Post subject: Re: Xenoblade 2!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 14:01 
Awesome
Yes

That looks like the sort of game I'd sink hours into, and yet if it's on the WiiU I will never play it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 15:27 

Monolith Soft is owned by Nintendo now. Wasn't ever going to be on any other console.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 15:29 
Awesome
Yes

Bluecup wrote:
Monolith Soft is owned by Nintendo now. Wasn't ever going to be on any other console.

A shame, as I won't buy one as I was bitten too badly by the Wii.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 15:30 
Terrible Human Being

SUDDENLY HAVE A REASON TO BUY A WII U DANCE

Post subject: Re: Xenoblade Chronicles X!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 22:26 
Bad Girl

THREAD TITLE CHANGE!

Video footage!

EXCITEMENT!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:39 
Bad Girl

New Xenoblade will be 5 TIMES as big as last one. 5 TIMES. Y'know how long it took me last time? Me neither. I recall it was very long (*smirk*).

http://www.vg247.com/2015/01/29/xenobla ... ast-games/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 14:38 
What-ho, chaps!

I keep meaning to play Xenoblade Chronicles. I put on the Wii, start the game. And then I realise how little I like the Wii Remote and turn it off again. I fought through Tales of Symphonia 2 for Tenebrae, Ratatosk and chums, but I just can't bear to do that again.

Arc Rise Fantasia > Xenoblade Chronicles because it supports the Gamecube pad.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 15:27 
Bad Girl

The remote ain't that bad after you've spent mucho mucho time with it. And there's no gesture commands so you've no reasons I wave it around like a looney.

OR you could get it on the 3DS when it comes out, if you've got one of them new uns.

It'd be shit not on the big screen with the music blaring though.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 16:28 
Bad Girl

Over 2 years ago I made this topic. Jesus.

Anyway, release date in JAPAN: 29 April!

Europe and everywhere else: Sometime this year. U helpfully vague. :(

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:39 

MrD wrote:
I keep meaning to play Xenoblade Chronicles. I put on the Wii, start the game. And then I realise how little I like the Wii Remote and turn it off again. I fought through Tales of Symphonia 2 for Tenebrae, Ratatosk and chums, but I just can't bear to do that again.

Arc Rise Fantasia > Xenoblade Chronicles because it supports the Gamecube pad.

It was sold in an edition where the classic controller was included, so surely it supports that?

Edited for clarity.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 13:54 
Bad Girl

Check out the video in this link.

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2015/04/29/xeno ... redecessor

Thing is, most people will look at the UI, the numbers, the crazy Japanese and think it looks rubbish. BUT IT WONT BE.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 13:55 
Bad Girl

Am I the only one excited about this?

It looks bloody terrific.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 16:05 
UltraMod

Eurogamer Essential http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... s-x-review

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 16:42 
Bad Girl

I want this so bad. 4th December bitches.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 16:58 
Bad Girl

Shit on a stick, this is out today and I haven't gone to get it. I shall resolve this tomorrow cause I know it will be the best game released this year.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 18:44 
Bad Girl

Bumping this thread because a) makes it easier to find when I actually want to post in it b) I've got it c) it's been reviewing extremely well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 22:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

You can mark your favorite threads and find them in your profile.

Can't remember how, because I'm on my phone. Save, maybe?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 18:41 
Bad Girl

Amazon £24.99! Bargain.

Well I'm assuming anyway since I haven't given it a good going over yet.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 22:13 
Terrible Human Being

I gave it a good going over for many, many hours and enjoyed it greatly OK thanks bye

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 21:46 
Bad Girl

I almost started this yesterday but my WiiU doesn't have enough memory to download the downloadable stuff that makes loading quicker. "15 gig" it said and 4 clicks later the WiiU was laughing in my face at how little storage space I actually had. It didn't help that WiiU was telling me how many megabits I had left when I was trying to work out how many gigs of space that many thousand megabits that was.

"You need 15 gig"
"You have 4567 megabits free space"

Which, to me and grandmas up and down the country with their WiiU's, is vastly unhelpful.

Anyway, turns out I had stuff I was unwilling to delete so I couldn't download the packs. I had a portable hard drive and could probably have downloaded some on that but it was too much of a faff and I wasn't in the mood.

Cool story, right? I didn't even come in here to complain about measurements of storage space.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 22:00 
Bad Girl

Turning to the actual game I was planning on starting it fo'reals.

It has a grrrrr-reat introductory sequence. No bullshit just "the earth got fucked up and shit loads of folk died." It's pretty epic so I was quite excited to get down to bizness.

But you can't play because you have to create a character. I fucking hate these things. Hair, eyes, height, scar on face and so on - I couldn't give a shit.

And this is even worse because now I'm not even playing the Mondo boy from Xenoblade Chronicles or someone with some actual character and character development to be getting on with through some trials and tribulations - fuck no, now I'm some bleeding mute that only nods or shakes his head in cut scenes like someone with mental health issues. I don't even have a voice. Well, I do, because I had to pick one at the character creation screen and I was only thinking at that exact time "Blimey they would have to record the lines 9 times" cause you get that many voices "Unless they have some cool way of altering the voice in-game. Fuck off. They got around that by the main character just saying absolutely nothing. Hnnngh.

What was the other thing? Oh yeah, I haven't played a JRPG for ages so I was utterly overwhelmed by the amount of screen UI. So I turned it off. Then I couldn't remember how to fight anyone... Fucks sake. So I'm keeping it on until I've fully remembered the myriad of button presses.

It just made me remember how impenetrable JRPGs are (and RPGs if we're being honest). When I got fighting a tiny spider a fuckaton of numbers started jumping out the spider like it'd eaten a VHS boxset of Seseme Street. I killed four of the bloody things and did not have a clue what I was doing. It was the most bizarre experience. I thought the original was a bit more helpful towards explaining the mechanics. Maybe this one will start explaining in a bit and it wasn't expecting me to muck around with the systems in place until I've had a run about. But if that's the case, don't put some bloody level 1 spiders all over the shop.

It does look visually stunning in a sort of Wii in HD kind of way. That's not meant to be a bad criticism, by the way, because it does look nice.

And of course you won't get this anywhere else but on the magical WiiU where, apparently, some good games lived for a short while.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:35 

I have to admit that I only played just under an hour of this and never loaded it up again. It's too impenetrable for all but the most hardcore JRPG fans, that's my impression. It's as opaque as it gets and it's just not the sort of game I can get on with.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:41 
UltraMod

Saturnalian wrote:
I almost started this yesterday but my WiiU doesn't have enough memory to download the downloadable stuff that makes loading quicker. "15 gig" it said and 4 clicks later the WiiU was laughing in my face at how little storage space I actually had. It didn't help that WiiU was telling me how many megabits I had left when I was trying to work out how many gigs of space that many thousand megabits that was.

"You need 15 gig"
"You have 4567 megabits free space"

Which, to me and grandmas up and down the country with their WiiU's, is vastly unhelpful.

Anyway, turns out I had stuff I was unwilling to delete so I couldn't download the packs. I had a portable hard drive and could probably have downloaded some on that but it was too much of a faff and I wasn't in the mood.

Cool story, right? I didn't even come in here to complain about measurements of storage space.

The cool thing about the Wii U is that you can just plug in an USB stick and format that for more storage. I've got a 128GB stick plugged in.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:52 
Paws for thought

Anonymous X wrote:
I have to admit that I only played just under an hour of this and never loaded it up again. It's too impenetrable for all but the most hardcore JRPG fans, that's my impression. It's as opaque as it gets and it's just not the sort of game I can get on with.

Saturnalian on his original Xenoblade "review".

"I can't bloody stand RPG's."

I don't think I'd describe him as a hardcore JRPG fan.

Not that I've played either to comment.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 13:31 
Bad Girl

Xenoblade 1 was the first proper JRPG I'd ever really played and it's easily in my top 10 of all time greats. Reading back the Xenoblade thread I'm reminded how absolutely batshit mental the story was and how I was loving every plot twist and turn. It was really was something special.

I never really returned to JRPG's after Xenoblade, not for fear of going into another one again, but just because of the amount of time that you need to invest to get the most out of them. It's like learning to drive every time I picked one up.

I only played a single JRPG to completion after Xenoblade and that was Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, which, again, was just astonishingly good (Top 10/top 20 of all time-mark, easily) so whilst the genre is difficult to pick up they really reward the time you put into them with some fantastic stories, worlds and new ways to play outside of "shoot face here."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 14:54 

I like JRPGs, but Xenoblade X is too far in the direction of being super-involving and super-complex for current personal tastes and circumstances. (Most of the JRPGs I play these days are on the 3DS and PS Vita, FWIW.)

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]