Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Re: PS4 confirmed
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 13:14 
Paws for thought

LewieP wrote:
N++ is the best PS4 exclusive so far.

So long as you ignore better exclusives. Like Bloodborne.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 13:16 

Future Warrior wrote:
Joans wrote:
Multiplayer is tempting though...

Well, quite.

For real 'next'-gensies what about:

Batman: Arkham Knight
Bloodborne
The Crew
Not a Hero
The Talos Principle

??

I didn't really enjoy whichever "new" Batman game I played, and I have no idea what the rest of those are, I am immensely out of touch. My biggest concern is "do I have room for it under the tv?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 13:18 
UltraMod

Joans wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
Joans wrote:
Multiplayer is tempting though...

Well, quite.

For real 'next'-gensies what about:

Batman: Arkham Knight
Bloodborne
The Crew
Not a Hero
The Talos Principle

??

I didn't really enjoy whichever "new" Batman game I played, and I have no idea what the rest of those are, I am immensely out of touch. My biggest concern is "do I have room for it under the tv?"

Smash your 360 up with a sledgehammer. You don't need it anymore and it was likely to blow up soon anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 13:22 

I have a lot of 360 games that are on my "I'll play them at some point" list.
Also, Sky Player.

Having said that, I'm just sitting here having hypothetical conversations, rather than playing any of those games (or going out like I'm supposed to be).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 13:25 
UltraMod

Joans wrote:
I have a lot of 360 games that are on my "I'll play them at some point" list.

You won't though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 13:26 

But I might do.
And that time is now (or soon).
Which is why I'm considering a PS4. No, hang on.

Also, various lego games.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 13:31 
UltraMod

Joans wrote:
But I might do.
And that time is now (or soon).
Which is why I'm considering a PS4. No, hang on.

Also, various lego games.

Fuck Lego games up the arse (especially the new one that costs £85). You've played one you've played them all.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 13:35 

£85?
They're for the co-op, although admittedly there probably won't be much of that for a bit. Hence the new and shiny thoughts.
I might possibly be able to hammer through everything on the PS3 that I've invested some sort of time on and get rid of that?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 20:25 
Bad Girl

Can anyone, ANYONE, remember Prismatic on the Xbox 360? It was one of those £1 games from the indie section where no one ever went (namely cause there was a dirth of shit games) but there were one or two little gems in there.

Anyway, Prismatic was one of those games and now umpteen years later it's right near the top of PS4's new releases as Prismatic Solid. I mean, wow. Where the fuck did that come from?! It has no video, no screen shots and is being sold for £8.99.

They can get fucked of course but I remember having a reet good blast on the 360 for a quid. Or was it 50p? I can't for the life of me remember. Anyway, don't get it. Or do. Depending on whether it's any good still and they have bunged in 9 quids worth of shooty content.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 20:26 
Bad Girl

Oh and can someone please cordially agree that the pricing on PS4's Arcade Archived is absolutely fucking mental. £7.99 for Renegade which I could play on MAME for nowt.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 23:13 
Bad Girl

Bamba wrote:
New Metroidvania Axiom Verge looks pretty good. Well, actually, it doesn't look that good at all as it's slavish homage to 8-bit graphics is pretty fucking dull but it sounds like it plays very well indeed.

I've just started this and, so far, I can confirm that it is indeed...

... a Metroidvania game. Oh and it's a pretty good one too. The retro-styled graphics are pretty neat but not exactly mind blowing, the soundtrack is better (it does go some way to set a nice atmosphere even if one level is bright pink) and the shooting and jumping (y'know, the game bits) are competent. I haven't any quarrels with it so far, in fact, even though I think I've played a few Metroidvania games recently, I'm really enjoying it and I want to keep going back to it after I've turned it off for a bit.

I think I'll stick with this and Lost Planet 3 can cordially fuck off.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:33 
Excellent Member

Yesterday I got, and happily accepted, a Real Name request from myp on PSN. It did make me notice though that there's a Facebook style 'people you might know' panel on the dashboard and for all the people it suggested (Curiosity, the Doc and The Egg) it gave me their username and their real name. It seems a bit farcical to make people you're actually friends with specially request you real name if you're going to cheerily displaying it to potential strangers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:38 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
Yesterday I got, and happily accepted, a Real Name request from myp on PSN. It did make me notice though that there's a Facebook style 'people you might know' panel on the dashboard and for all the people it suggested (Curiosity, the Doc and The Egg) it gave me their username and their real name. It seems a bit farcical to make people you're actually friends with specially request you real name if you're going to cheerily displaying it to potential strangers.

It shows you the real names of close friends of close friends. You can change this in the settings if you don't want it to.

I think it makes the assumption if we're good enough friends to know each other's real names, anyone else whose real names I know are also that. :shrug:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:39 
UltraMod

Quote:
Friends of Friends

Set whether to display your real name and profile picture to the close Friends of your close Friends. Your real name and profile picture will appear in the Friends lists of your close Friends, making it easier for others to find you.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document ... ivacy.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:43 
Excellent Member

Future Warrior wrote:
Bamba wrote:

It shows you the real names of close friends of close friends. You can change this in the settings if you don't want it to.

I think it makes the assumption if we're good enough friends to know each other's real names, anyone else whose real names I know are also that. :shrug:

I don't particularly mind either way, it just seemed an odd way round to work things; though you explanation does clarify it and it's not quite as random as I had suspected. And I say that especially because I think it was showing me the real names of other people before I'd accepted your request. Although I'm not 100% sure of that to be fair.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:15 
Sleepyhead

My problem was that when I accepted Myp's real name request, my massive TV was suddenly full of his profile picture, which is a close up of his gurning face.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:26 
UltraMod

Curiosity wrote:
My problem was that when I accepted Myp's real name request, my massive TV was suddenly full of his profile picture, which is a close up of his gurning face.

I don't see a problem with this.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:28 
UltraMod

Zaphod hasn't accepted my real name request yet. How else will I find out what his credit card details and mother's maiden name are? :( ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 13:56 
Sleepyhead

I just put all your details on Google.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 17:27 
Paws for thought

Curiosity wrote:

You did? I just got a picture of Gerry Adams. Weird choice of avatar, but whatever floats his boat...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 23:44 
Bad Girl

Saturnalian wrote:
Bamba wrote:
New Metroidvania Axiom Verge looks pretty good. Well, actually, it doesn't look that good at all as it's slavish homage to 8-bit graphics is pretty fucking dull but it sounds like it plays very well indeed.

I've just started this and, so far, I can confirm that it is indeed...

... a Metroidvania game. Oh and it's a pretty good one too. The retro-styled graphics are pretty neat but not exactly mind blowing, the soundtrack is better (it does go some way to set a nice atmosphere even if one level is bright pink) and the shooting and jumping (y'know, the game bits) are competent. I haven't any quarrels with it so far, in fact, even though I think I've played a few Metroidvania games recently, I'm really enjoying it and I want to keep going back to it after I've turned it off for a bit.

I think I'll stick with this and Lost Planet 3 can cordially fuck off.

9 hours. 9 hours of this and it's still surprising and still being awesome. Y'know how Metroidvania games drip feed you stuff? Well did they drop feed you stuff until 9 hours into the game. I can't remember. Probably not. Perhaps.

Was this the game done entirely by one man? Well that guy needs some kind of a fucking medal of awesomeness because he has completely nailed how to make a video game.

I'll write stuff when it's done but, for now, if urge you to give this guy some money cause he deserves it. Did he do the music as well? Wow.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:52 
SavyGamer

Yes he did the music. He hired a business guy to help with marketing and stuff not long before release, but aside from that I gather it was a solo effort entirely

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:17 
Bad Girl

Wow. That guy has a bright future ahead of him. I bet he won't have any trouble with someone snapping him up for a job with his abilities on display here. I hope this sells well for the guy.

Assuming that he's not a psychopath or a bit of a twat in real life.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:28 
UltraMod

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... s-continue
Quote:
The PS4 has now shifted a whopping 29.3m units since going on sale in November 2013. By comparison, the PS2 had sold 24.99m units after the same length of time on sale. The PS3 had sold 16.6m, and the Xbox 360 13.4m.

Hooray!
Quote:
(Microsoft doesn't report Xbox One sales.)

Wonder why

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:55 
SavyGamer

I love how Microsoft has now gone even further than Sony's tactics to hide the PS3's early commercial failure.

First they were primarily giving combined 360 + One numbers except for on individual months that the One sold well, exactly the same as what Sony did early on during the PS3's lifetime.

Just their approach for releasing this data tells a bigger story than the data itself.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 13:28 
UltraMod

Console gaming is dead (but only if you have an Xbox).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 18:41 
Bad Girl

I love Outlast.

And the DLC.

And it's almost Halloween.

So here's a teaser trailer for Outlast 2.
http://www.vg247.com/2015/10/29/outlast ... fall-2016/

Normally I don't like these crappy teasers that are just for show, but I quite liked this one. Short, simple and great font.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 18:45 
UltraMod

Couldn't get on with it, myself.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 19:35 
Decapodian

It creeped me out too much and I had to abandon it. Don't think the sequel will do me any more favours :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 20:48 
Gogmagog

Ph. A PS4 update. Because MrsA unplugged it 2 weeks ago. Maybe it will play cds now. And do Skype.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:35 
UltraMod

MaliA wrote:
Maybe it will play cds now.

Or reel-to-reel.
Quote:
And do Skype.

Yes, I expect Microsoft will be champing at the bit to develop an app for the PS4.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:41 
Gogmagog

Future Warrior wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Or reel-to-reel.
Quote:
And do Skype.

Yes, I expect Microsoft will be champing at the bit to develop an app for the PS4.

I am going to have to write my own stuff that decodes cd tracks to mp3s on the fly and put it on a memory stick with a pass through (which I also have to make) to my external cd drive now.

Could I stick a usb Web can in the ps4 and use Facebook messenger to video chat?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:45 

Future Warrior wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Or reel-to-reel.

All the cool people buy vinyls these days.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:45 
Excellent Member

MaliA wrote:
I am going to have to write my own stuff that decodes cd tracks to mp3s on the fly and put it on a memory stick with a pass through (which I also have to make) to my external cd drive now.

I've read this through a few times now and it doesn't make any more sense than it did the first time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:47 
Gogmagog

Bamba wrote:
MaliA wrote:

I've read this through a few times now and it doesn't make any more sense than it did the first time.

I plug an external usb cd drive into a pass through memory stick i am yet to make running my code i am yet to write to convert info from the cd into an .mp3 format on the fly to go into the ps4 so I can listen to a cd.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:50 
Excellent Member

MaliA wrote:
Bamba wrote:
MaliA wrote:

I plug an extra usb cd drive into a pass through memory stick i am yet to make running my code i am yet to write to convert info from the cd into an .mp3 format on the fly to go into the ps4 so I can listen to a cd.

That seems pretty insane, but good luck with it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:51 
Gogmagog

Bamba wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Bamba wrote:
MaliA wrote:

I plug an extra usb cd drive into a pass through memory stick i am yet to make running my code i am yet to write to convert info from the cd into an .mp3 format on the fly to go into the ps4 so I can listen to a cd.

That seems pretty insane, but good luck with it.

Needs must when the devil rides.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:51 
Excellent Member

Also, I can't see where this code you're going to write is supposed to execute? On a USB stick? Wuh?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:55 
Gogmagog

Bamba wrote:
Also, I can't see where this code you're going to write is supposed to execute? On a USB stick? Wuh?

It's OK. I was new to computers once as well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:58 
Bad Girl

:DD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:58 
UltraMod

Pwnd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:07 
Excellent Member

MaliA wrote:
Bamba wrote:

It's OK. I was new to computers once as well.

You're a master of distraction. Luckily. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 20:52 
Excellent Member

Hah, I just noticed that when you look at friends on your list who are currently playing something there's a button marked 'Request to Watch'; which sounds amusingly creepy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:17 
EvilTrousers

Not really worth starting it's own thread so some thoughts on Guitar Hero Live shall be dumped herein.

There's 6 buttons on the guitar in two banks of three. That sounds easier and more difficult both at the same time - and it really is.

At first I upped the difficulty to regular from the default casual and tried the second set of songs. That was like playing the earlier games on Hard before you'd had chance to learn them properly or how to move your fingers across all the buttons without dislocating your fingers. I then lowered it to casual and that was too easy. So THEN I did the first gig on regular and it clicked properly - it eases you in gently but at the same time there's loads of new stuff to learn.

Where it makes be grin like a fucking idiot is the same reason it always used to - you hit a zone and fly through notes without really feeling like you are actually controlling your fingers. It's like they are a conduit for the music being fed by the notes on screen and your eyes and brain are just some kind of transport mechanism that you don't really understand. Oh and there's live footage and you can play along to stuff like the video of Epic by Faith no More.

Overall so far it seems like I'm playing the first game again with that same sense of discovery and wonder.

If you like guitar games that are better than other guitar games then you will like this.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:04 
UltraMod

Could've always used the, oh I dunno, the Guitar Hero thread where we've been discussing it. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 13:13 
EvilTrousers

I'm not using both of these eyes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 13:17 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

:DD

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 22:07 
Gogmagog

If you put a PS4 in a cupboard and play fallout 4 for an hour it overheats. Some noisy those fans.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 22:30 
Excellent Member

Mine can be weirdly noisy when playing Bluray discs; presumably it's not the same when playing games as most of the content is installed into the HDD.

Side question: why do both the PS3 and PS4 install games in like ten seconds but the 360 and, apparently, the Xbone take forever? Given the time difference I can't believe they're genuinely copying the same amount of content to disk but if they're not how do they achieve parity in load times? Hell, the Xbone version of Fallout has stutter issues the PS4 version doesn't suffer so Sony are doing *massively* quicker installs and still getting better resource streaming; what am I missing here?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 23:00 

Doesn't the PS4 prioritise installing what you need to start the game, then carry on afterwards?

Reply to topic  [ 2598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 52  Next