Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Re: PS4 confirmed
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 14:53 
UltraMod

markg wrote:
Yeah I wasn't really expecting a whole set of exciting new gaming genres to have been invented for it. And to me everything does look miles better, going back to the PS3 was actually quite jarring, makes the new consoles feel long overdue.

That's odd, because I swap between PS3 (720p), Vita (960x544), iPad (2048x1536) and Mac (2880x1800) for gaming and the changes in resolution don't bother me at all. Even after plugging my laptop into a big TV using 1080p and a recent game at med/high I don't have any issues switching back to the PS3. Whereas after I got a 360 it was impossible to go back to the original Xbox - everything was horrible and blurry.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 15:02 

I guess that if you're swapping between them all the time it probably won't. I played nothing on the PS3 for over a month during which time I played loads on the PS4. When I did go back to play Devil May Cry it felt pretty ropey.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 15:08 
Bad Girl

I'm the same as British Nervoso, I've been regularly swapping between different resolutions and as long as they're in HD, I don't give a crap. A good game is a good game no matter what resolution you play it on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 15:11 

Yeah, clearly I'm just imagining things then and apart from the extra resolution it's exactly the fucking same. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 15:13 
Sleepyhead

I think it means your eyes are better than theirs, mark.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 15:14 
Bad Girl

It's not the same, natch, it's much less jarring than the last generational leap.

Also, DmC is reet nice looking, man! It's bloody lush dat, init.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 15:19 
Decapodian

I'm also playing a fair bit of Diablo 3 on the PS3, and that looks just fine too. It's obviously not as flashy but I've not been spoiled by the new console.

Watching someone play Halo 4 though, it was obvious that there is quite a jump in power.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 15:38 
SavyGamer

The costs associated with cross platform development are much lower with this transition. Especially considering most console games get a PC release these days.

Had it been more simple to release original Xbox and PS2 games on the Xbox 360 and PS3, we would have seen a lot more of that happening, but there was significant work involved in doing that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 15:58 
Unpossible!

Ironically, it's probably much easier to port XBOX1 games to the XBOXONE than it ever was to the 360.

HD remake of Blinx, anyone?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 16:45 

DavPaz wrote:
Ironically, it's probably much easier to port XBOX1 games to the XBOXONE than it ever was to the 360.
No. If that were true, we'd have a decent Xbox 1 emulator today, but we don't because despite the x86 CPU the Xbox 1 was quite an idiosyncratic design.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 17:02 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

LewieP wrote:
CEX are also now charging more for a PS4 than for an Xbox One, which is pretty damning.

Also on the 'availability' of the two consoles - I've posted the UK links before

US Links :

PS4 : http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/ps4/
Totally out of stock everywhere - even the bundles (although they dont have the weird bundled with other games + 3rd party tat that we have)

Xbox one : http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/xboxone/
In stock in plenty of places for you to pick up

Oh and as I was checking these I can see that PS4's have just came back in Stock for the Knack bundle at Amazon if anyone is still looking for a console for £389

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GN1EMS6/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 17:14 
Time Out for Fun

Anyone want to buy battlefield 4 for £40?

Or killzone for £33?

Delivery included.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 18:32 
8-Bit Champion

More numbers stuff from IGN

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/01/07/w ... ally-means

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 20:41 
ugvm'er at heart...

I now have my 360 headset working on the PS4, thanks to a £5 cable from turtlebeach :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 15:08 
Rude Belittler

Ps4 get!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 21:24 
Rude Belittler

Pundy79 is the tag... slightly disappointingly, my crappy old TV (which displayed 720p perfectly for the life of my 360) will only output 480p with my PS4.Ah well, a new tv is on the list I suppose.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 23:42 
SavyGamer

Well this is exciting.

Had one of the high ups from Sony ask me for a meeting next week so he can pick my brain about ways to make their business better for consumers. Wants my input on pricing, how there store operates, and other stuff. Already got a stack of ideas, but sensible input from you lot would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 0:16 
Excellent Member

Number one on the list has to be: price digital games comparable with retail. Not just for consumers, that'll come with a benefit for Sony that people might actually buy the things.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 0:16 
8-Bit Champion

LewieP wrote:
Well this is exciting.

Had one of the high ups from Sony ask me for a meeting next week so he can pick my brain about ways to make their business better for consumers. Wants my input on pricing, how there store operates, and other stuff. Already got a stack of ideas, but sensible input from you lot would be appreciated.

I know you'll have regional pricing high on your list but is there any reason you see things like this :

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/01/ ... ita-games/

14 (actually 28) titles cheap for US buyers and at the same time they are not running anything on the European store ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 0:18 
SavyGamer

Yep, already considering both these points. Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 0:53 
Bad Girl

I've got an idea: game rentals from the store. You buy it at a reduced price for a week or summats. Then the data implodes inside your Playstation.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I know it doesn't quite fit, but with the high price of peripherals and improving networking capabilities, does he/she think we're going to see the death of multiplayer on the sofa?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:10 

Wasn't multiplayer on the sofa :hat: one of the reasons they had to shut down their webcam broadcasting thing?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:56 
Sleepyhead

Be sure to tell them how much everyone loves PSN+ and not to change it or fuck it up. Make sure they know how much of a selling point it is vs Xbox.

Add media support for playing downloaded video content from a USB stick (if they haven't already).

Give me free stuff ;)

Release MOAR GAMES!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:18 
Decapodian

Release something decent that makes use of the camera, 'cause I bought one and haven't bothered to connect it up yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:24 
Bad Girl

Sort out trials for PSN games. Trials on every one not a crappy handful. I'm more inclined to buy a game that I don't know about of I can play it first. There might be loads of those "minis" I might have purchased if I could have tried them first since I haven't got time to read a load of reviews for obscure games.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:28 
Bad Girl

Or what about linking the games to web pages like the Vita does? Mind you, that only works once you've downloaded the game. They should get a partnership with, say, Eurogamer to link reviews to PSN.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:29 
Bad Girl

And sort out the search function. It's a bit crap.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:29 

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Release something decent that makes use of the camera, 'cause I bought one and haven't bothered to connect it up yet.

Used mine a bit, the head tracking in War Thunder is ace, and the Playroom thing is fun for a while.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:31 
Bad Girl

And I want to sort games in the store by name, release date, genre etc at the push of a button. The square button.

And I want to scroll the page quickly using the trackpad.

And smaller icons. If I want them. I want an option for small icons so it loads quickerly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:50 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
Sort out trials for PSN games. Trials on every one not a crappy handful. I'm more inclined to buy a game that I don't know about of I can play it first. There might be loads of those "minis" I might have purchased if I could have tried them first since I haven't got time to read a load of reviews for obscure games.

This is a double-edged sword I think. It's great from a user perspective that MS force a demo for all XBLA games but it puts a lot of pressure on developers because coming up with a demo version is a non-trivial amount of work. I do believe that putting up a demo of your game helps sell it (assuming it's any good) and personally wish more developers would spend the time on it but I don't know if mandating it at the platform level is the best idea.

It's worth noting though that downloading and playing a demo would take much more time than Googling for a game review so your position here isn't entirely logical. :kiss:

Saturnalian wrote:
Or what about linking the games to web pages like the Vita does? Mind you, that only works once you've downloaded the game. They should get a partnership with, say, Eurogamer to link reviews to PSN.

Metacritic would be a better idea, there's no point linking to a single review source when the majority of the games won't be reviewed there in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:53 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'd like a 1 click PSN+ games button please. I can never find where the fuck i'm supposed to go to see what is new out for free download....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:53 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
I do believe that putting up a demo of your game helps sell it

It really doesn't.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:58 
Bad Girl

British Nervoso wrote:
Bamba wrote:

It really doesn't.

Who cares (besides game makers) - It's what the public want, init.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:59 
Excellent Member

British Nervoso wrote:
Bamba wrote:

It really doesn't.

You missed the vital part of my quote:

Quote:
I do believe that putting up a demo of your game helps sell it (assuming it's any good)

If your game is shit a demo is going to negatively impact sales as people who may have bought it are rightly put off. So I contend that those stats are impacted by people playing demos for shit games and thus going on not to download them vs people buying shit demo-less games because they had no way of realising it was a bad purchase in advance. And luckily for me it's almost impossible to prove that either way what with 'shit game' being entirely subjective!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:01 
Bad Girl

Bamba wrote:
It's worth noting though that downloading and playing a demo would take much more time than Googling for a game review so your position here isn't entirely logical. :kiss:

Reading a review is no substitute for playing a game. And if I'm on PSN browsing games it's not entirely convenient to stop, fire up the laptop/pick up my phone, goggle game review, read review and make a decision on a game. I've probably already scrolled past it by now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:04 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:
I'd like a 1 click PSN+ games button please. I can never find where the fuck i'm supposed to go to see what is new out for free download....

This bugs the shit out of me on the PS3 as it compares very badly with the Xbox 360 model where you can instantly tell what new XBLA games and full game demos have been released since you last checked (no matter when the last time you checked was). I didn't mention it though because I wasn't sure if it was a problem they'd fixed with the PS4 dash. If they haven't then yeah, they should do because it's clunky as fuck by comparison. Indeed I find the whole PS3 store clunky as fuck by comparison but the last time I mentioned this no one agreed so maybe it's just me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:06 

Bamba wrote:
Indeed I find the whole PS3 store clunky as fuck by comparison but the last time I mentioned this no one agreed so maybe it's just me.

No, I very much agree.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:11 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
Reading a review is no substitute for playing a game.

I agree, but it was you that said you wanted a demo because you didn't have time to read reviews so that's the only reason I mentioned that.

Saturnalian wrote:
And if I'm on PSN browsing games it's not entirely convenient to stop, fire up the laptop/pick up my phone, goggle game review, read review and make a decision on a game. I've probably already scrolled past it by now.

Saturnalian takes a break from furiously scrolling through PSN games to check his inconvenient phone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:12 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

As do I.

*edit* Agree about the PSN store.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:16 
Paws for thought

Bamba wrote:
Indeed I find the whole PS3 store clunky as fuck by comparison but the last time I mentioned this no one agreed so maybe it's just me.

Amusingly, thr japanese store is (or rather, was a few months ago, not seen it recently) quite different from the EU one. I found it much easier to use despite taking about 10 times long to read anything.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:19 
Excellent Member

Mr Dave wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Amusingly, thr japanese store is (or rather, was a few months ago, not seen it recently) quite different from the EU one. I found it much easier to use despite taking about 10 times long to read anything.

There's an article here about it and it doesn't look all that different?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:28 
Paws for thought

I mainly remember the categorisation and ease of finding stuff being a whole lot more sensible (note: I don't mean to say it was good, just much better than what the eu had at the time). Could be that the changes have since been implemented on the eu store - I only look at the ps+ section since I got it.

Damn sight slower to load images though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:45 

When I am downloading games to my Vita that I've bought previously or "purchased" through PS+, I have to scroll through the downloads list on the Store app. This is about 85% PS3 games that cannot be downloaded to the Vita. I see no reason why they can't be hidden away, meaning I do a lot less scrolling.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:06 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
When I am downloading games to my Vita that I've bought previously or "purchased" through PS+, I have to scroll through the downloads list on the Store app. This is about 85% PS3 games that cannot be downloaded to the Vita. I see no reason why they can't be hidden away, meaning I do a lot less scrolling.

Is this possibly done intentionally so that you can buy/download games for your PS3 from the Vita? I've no idea if that even makes sense, it's just a thought. Which isn't to say that they couldn't and shouldn't still have different lists for each platform to make your life easier even if this is the thinking behind it of course.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 14:16 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:
Bamba wrote:

It really doesn't.

You missed the vital part of my quote:

Quote:
I do believe that putting up a demo of your game helps sell it (assuming it's any good)

If your game is shit a demo is going to negatively impact sales as people who may have bought it are rightly put off. So I contend that those stats are impacted by people playing demos for shit games and thus going on not to download them vs people buying shit demo-less games because they had no way of realising it was a bad purchase in advance. And luckily for me it's almost impossible to prove that either way what with 'shit game' being entirely subjective!

Have you read the article? Even good games are affected by the demo effect.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 14:21 
Paws for thought

I wonder how much those figures are affected by the likes of CoD, GTA, AssCrud et al that will sell in huge amounts from brand loyalty and the hype bus.

Prequel acting as demo, see.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 14:53 

Lewie ask Sony to reuse some of their classic PS1 releases and make a sequel
where is Parappa the Rapper, Syphon Filter, Vib Ribbon etc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 14:54 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I fucking loved Syphon Filter.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 14:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

gospvg wrote:
Lewie ask Sony to reuse some of their classic PS1 releases and make a sequel
where is Parappa the Rapper, Syphon Filter, Vib Ribbon etc

Parappa the Rapper had a sequel on PS2, and the Parappa 3 for the PS4 is rumoured to be in development.

There was a cartoon and a PSP game, too.

Reply to topic  [ 2598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 52  Next