Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Re: PS4 confirmed
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 17:30 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

markg wrote:
Yeah, the legal action isn't from unhappy gamers, I don't think there has been a Sim City style uproar or anything approaching it.

A little more to it :

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/class- ... 0-6416790/

Quote:
Class-action lawsuit commenced over buggy Battlefield 4, EA calls it "meritless" [UPDATE]
[UPDATE] Legal documents show executives sold thousands of shares ahead of Battlefield 4's release.

So some of this is that EA exec's sold their shares early before of the release knowing that afterwards the shares would tank

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 13:46 
Bad Girl

PLAYSTATION 4! PLAYSTATION 4!PLAYSTATION 4!PLAYSTATION 4!PLAYSTATION 4!PLAYSTATION 4!PLAYSTATION 4!PLAYSTATION 4!
PLAYSTATION 4! PLAYSTATION 4!PLAYSTATION 4!PLAYSTATION 4!PLAYSTATION 4!PLAYSTATION 4!PLAYSTATION 4!PLAYSTATION 4!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 13:52 
UltraMod

Santanalian wrote:

Yep.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 14:38 
Bad Girl

I gots one! Whoop!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 14:41 
But it's not Christmas yet.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 16:25 

Santanalian wrote:
I gots one! Whoop!

What games?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 16:51 
8-Bit Champion

gospvg wrote:
Santanalian wrote:
I gots one! Whoop!

What games?

Well there are all the free ones - but an interesting question is what games would you recommend ?

I have 4 'full' PS4 titles :

Assassins Creed 4 - I'd previously only played AC1 and AC2 and I quite like the piratey stuff in here - the bits in the 'present' are dull and boring but being a pirate - sailing the ships around , exploring the towns is all pretty fun , i've maybe only done 5 - 10 % of things but i'm enjoying it (no idea how this compares to current gen versions - from what I've seen the PS4 version is prettier but if you've already played it on the 360 or PS3 you might not want to bother with it)

Battlefield 4 - It has some reported issues but those have not really affected me - i'm not very far into this but (as long as its working) its a good show off piece for the system - a very pretty FPS with destructible everything and doesnt have the COD issues of 'die instantly every time you spawn' , although the story is very cheesy its a fun game - again i've not played it on the ps3 or 360 but most sites say the next gen ones are a big step up

KillZone Shadow fall - I've hardly played this - did about 2 hours on the first day and did not save (why would i have to save?) and then found i'd need to go back to the start and do that again so left it and have not yet gone back to see that - again impressive graphics but i've no knowledge of the previous killzone games.

COD : Ghosts - its Cod Ghosts - the multiplayer and extraction modes basically look identical to the 360 verision - the single player more looks prettier but thats not really what you get COD for :-) - and despite that this is the game i've put most time into on the retail side (i can pretty much escape in Extinction every time now and can do it solo - i just need to start loading up on relics)

The other notable big game is of course Resogun which is a short frantic voxel shooter that is a flashy updated Defender and is one of the best games out there - yes its short (5 levels) but its amazing the controls and handling of the ship is great - the upgrading mechanism is simple but there is a lot of strategy once you get past the 'survive' point.

Also worth keeping an eye out for any of the games going on special on the PS3 as you can 'upgrade' to PS4 versions for £10 (or you can buy cheap digital copies on Amazon US if you dont mind going through a US account to get them working)

FYI This is the page which covers the upgrades - its only availble for a limited number of games right now (I almost bought a PS3 version of Need for Speed to upgrade before I realised its not on the list !)

http://uk.playstation.com/psn/support/p ... tructions/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 16:57 

War Thunder, get War Thunder. Need for Speed is pretty and fun also. if you had Flower on PS3 then you can get the much better looking PS4 version for nowt too. For all the whining about how piss poor the launch line up is I've had loads of fun with mine.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 17:00 
8-Bit Champion

markg wrote:
War Thunder, get War Thunder. Need for Speed is pretty and fun also. if you had Flower on PS3 then you can get the much better looking PS4 version for nowt too. For all the whining about how piss poor the launch line up is I've had loads of fun with mine.

War Thunder / DC Universe Online / Blacklight Retribution are all free games as well

The Cross buy stuff from PS3 I think it just Flow / Flower / Doki Doki universe / Trine (2?) but if you've invested in the games on the PSN I really like that they are at least giving you some to carry over (unlike XBL where you 'lose' everything by moving on to the new system)

Oh and there is some type of discount on The Pinball Arcade if you bought it on PS3 (but its not a cross buy title so you get a discount not the game free)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 17:07 
UltraMod

Don't forget Contrast. Plus, Don't Starve is coming next month.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 17:29 
Bad Girl

I've got Killzone.

Now I've got Resogun.

Now I've got Contrast.

Now I've got Warframe.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 17:30 
Bad Girl

Hang about Putty Squad is finally here! Yay! The trailer looks ropey. Boo!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 17:33 
8-Bit Champion

Santanalian wrote:

It also gets some pretty bad reviews :

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... utty-squad

Metacritic currently sitting at 38

List of all the PS4 titles available just now

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/ ... /metascore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 17:45 
Numbskull

Santanalian wrote:
I've got Killzone.

Now I've got Resogun.

Resogun is quite nice, especially as a PS Plus freebie. Zoidberg's score is from a different planet, though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 22:36 

I've got AC4 & Killzone.
AC4 is easily the best game on the system.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 23:13 
Bad Girl

I've got Battlefield 4 now. It's facking mental.

And it looks acres better than the XBONE version I played.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 14:08 
Bad Girl

Question: do I have to leave the Ps4 on if I want to access it through the Vita on the internetz? Or on standby? Or can just leave it off?

Ok, that was 3 questions but it covers all the bases.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 14:18 
8-Bit Champion

Santanalian wrote:
Question: do I have to leave the Ps4 on if I want to access it through the Vita on the internetz? Or on standby? Or can just leave it off?

Ok, that was 3 questions but it covers all the bases.

'Standby' is enough - when you connect on the Vita it says 'turning on the PS4'

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 15:22 
Bad Girl

Gotcha, I'll try it out in a bit. I was just too lazy. I want to play Resogun in bed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 16:03 

I've got it working on mine. You do need to leave the PS4 in Standby mode, but you also need to change the Standby settings to allow it to be powered on over the network, otherwise your Vita won't be able to turn it on.

It works brilliantly by the way! I was playing Resogun via my Vita, tethered to my mobile phone 24 miles away from my PS4 last night. A bit of lag here and there, but I think there are probably things I can do to improve that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 16:11 
8-Bit Champion

Zio wrote:
I've got it working on mine. You do need to leave the PS4 in Standby mode, but you also need to change the Standby settings to allow it to be powered on over the network, otherwise your Vita won't be able to turn it on.

When you go into that area of the settings and enable background downloading it pops up with a message going through how to configure things which includes that network power on (I enabled it day 1 to get it to download patches n stuff in the background)

I've only tried it local (on the same WIFI network) but it worked flawlessly on Resogun / AC4 and worked fine for solo Extinction mode in COD (I did not try multiplayer)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 13:27 
Bad Girl

Have you noticed the new thang on the Trophies which shows you how commonly each trophy has been obtained by players with that game?

Currently it's showing that finishing the campaign on normal is "rare" with only 14% of people playing having obtained it.

EDIT: that's a BF4 stat by the way.

I thought it was a pretty cool edition. Gamers love stats, right?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 13:29 
UltraMod

They've ripped it from TA/TT, but it's a good stat to see.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 20:15 
UltraMod

SilentNight wrote:
They've ripped it from TA/TT, but it's a good stat to see.

Also Steam, I've just noticed...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:14 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I helped write something along those lines a couple of months after the 360 came out.

We should probably have made more of a big deal about it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:04 
Bad Girl

At the folks, PS Vita turned on my PS4 at home then I played some 64 player Battlefield 4. A-Maze.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:29 
Excellent Member

Santanalian wrote:
At the folks, PS Vita turned on my PS4 at home then I played some 64 player Battlefield 4. A-Maze.

That's pretty fucking sweet, truly we are living in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:32 
Decapodian

I can see me buying a Vita pretty soon.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:46 
Wow that's awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:53 
ugvm'er at heart...

Santanalian wrote:

How was it to control via the vita?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 13:02 
Bad Girl

Business as usual. The rear touch pad divides into 4 sections for R1, L1, R3 and L3.

To be honest, it looked awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 14:55 
Excellent Member

zaphod79 wrote:
Santanalian wrote:

It also gets some pretty bad reviews :

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... utty-squad

Metacritic currently sitting at 38

List of all the PS4 titles available just now

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/ ... /metascore

So it seems you're better off playing the also new Amiga version:)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 17:32 

Finished AC4 will sell on & I've got Knack on the way. Not hearing good views on Killzone but I will give it a try before deciding. Will also look at Contrast & give Resogun some time. Got to be careful of not falling into the buying any game on the PS4 just because I want something to play.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 18:51 
Decapodian

How much do you want for AC4?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:16 

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
How much do you want for AC4?

Looking for £40

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 20:37 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Trooper wrote:
Santanalian wrote:

How was it to control via the vita?
Santanalian wrote:
Business as usual. The rear touch pad divides into 4 sections for R1, L1, R3 and L3.

To be honest, it looked awesome.

That's lovely, your honor. How was it to control via the vita?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 21:07 
Bad Girl

You ever played a FPS on the Vita - Killzone, CoD et all? Like that.

Personally, I don't think the sticks are great for little movements required of a FPS (I tend to push them too hard up (down) but not hard enough down (up)) but some people think they're fine, so, y'know, it's a little difficult to describe.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 19:22 
8-Bit Champion

More sales numbers stuff although its worth bearing in mind that if i wanted to go out and buy an Xbox one I could pick one up from Argos or order from a number of online stores to get it delivered without buying a bundle however I cannot get a PS4 unless I wanted to get it with multiple games or other extra 'tat'

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ps4-outs ... ar/0126321

Quote:
PS4 outsold Xbox One by 166,000 consoles in UK last year

PS4 and Xbox One posted incredible sales figures in the UK, with Sony coming out on top.

PlayStation 4 has sold 530,000 units in the UK in just five weeks, according to ERA (using Chart-Track data), while Xbox One has sold 364,000 units. It's a significant gap between the two competitors, although both numbers are significantly higher than any previous console launch.

PS4 hardware sales generated £181.8m on the UK High Street, while Xbox One made £144.5m. Together, that means the UK market made over £326m from next-gen console sales.

ERA director general Kim Bayley said, “Games continues to deliver digital sales strongly, but it was disappointing that Xbox One and PS4 came so late in 2013 and then huge demand meant stock sold out quickly. Retailers will be working hard in 2014 to maintain the sales momentum of these two great new pieces of kit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 19:14 
Worst

zaphod79 wrote:
More sales numbers stuff although its worth bearing in mind that if i wanted to go out and buy an Xbox one I could pick one up from Argos or order from a number of online stores to get it delivered without buying a bundle however I cannot get a PS4 unless I wanted to get it with multiple games or other extra 'tat'

In a way, that's more impressive. Though it might inflate the figures, it still means many people were more willing to buy a PS4 'with tat' than an XBone however they want.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 19:26 
SavyGamer

The Xbox One has been in stock online from several major online retailers since release. As far as I am aware, Tesco, Argos and GAME have never gone out of stock for unbundled consoles at £430.

This has not been the case for the PS4, with any unbundled stock at £350 pretty much going out of stock moments after it becomes available.

Typically retailers have an agreement with the console manufacturer on what proportion of their stock they are allowed to force bundles with (which they want to do to increase margins). These proportions aren't disclosed though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 13:03 

It struck me yesterday that the big 'next-gen' thing this time might well be connectivity with other devices. Obviously the Remote Play function with the Vita is a marvel on it's own, but the connectivity options with other devices could also be pretty cool. I downloaded the Assassins Creed IV app for my Nexus 5 yesterday and it's really decent - in addition to letting me play the 'Kenway's Fleet' minigame away when I'm out and about, it also acts as a second screen whilst I'm sat in front of the PS4. I can have it display a constant real-time map whilst I'm playing the game, as well as give me access to my treasure maps and other info without me having to dive through menus in the game itself. It's actually genuinely useful stuff. It has to connect directly to the PS4 for the second screen stuff to work, so I've no idea if this also works with the Xbone.

Talking of which, I saw a PS4 and an Xbone sat next to each other in the window of our local Cex the other day. The Xbone is fucking massive, isn't it? The PS4 looks really dinky in comparison.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 13:06 

They've had the second screen stuff on the 360 for quite a while now. I guess the problem is that unless the developers make the assumption that everyone will have such a device then it can't be used for core aspects of the games.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 13:08 
Decapodian

True, but map screens, inventories and the like are an easy to implement way to make use of the second screen that doesn't hinder "standard" players.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 13:13 
Paws for thought

Certainly the second screen improves Zelda on the Wiiu quite a bit, while remaining entirely optional (to allow remote play)

Works well, so wouldn't mind similar on other consoles.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 13:18 
Excellent Member

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
True, but map screens, inventories and the like are an easy to implement way to make use of the second screen that doesn't hinder "standard" players.

But it's potentially not worth the cost of investing dev time in for cross-platform games if only one of your set of platforms even has the ability.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 13:53 
ugvm'er at heart...

Bamba wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:

But it's potentially not worth the cost of investing dev time in for cross-platform games if only one of your set of platforms even has the ability.

Battlefield 4 does it quite well, as the second screen stuff is via the origin website. Which I assume they have just wrapped for the different devices out there.
My gaming TV is right next to to my iMac on the desk, so I have a bloody huge minimap to look at :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 14:28 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:
bloody huge minimap

So a 'map' then?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 14:43 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Heh :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 14:50 
ugvm'er at heart...

Bamba wrote:
Trooper wrote:
bloody huge minimap

So a 'map' then?

:DD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 14:57 
Decapodian

Trooper wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:

Battlefield 4 does it quite well, as the second screen stuff is via the origin website. Which I assume they have just wrapped for the different devices out there.
My gaming TV is right next to to my iMac on the desk, so I have a bloody huge minimap to look at :D

Why did I not know this (about the map, not your desk)?

Must try this when I get home....

Reply to topic  [ 2598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 52  Next