Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Re: PS4 confirmed
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 16:18 
Excellent Member

British Nervoso wrote:
I'm talking about average in the mathematical sense. So a cross-section of all types of games on average, demos harm sales. So for devs, it makes little sense to make them.

By 'types of games' I presume you mean different genres which is fair enough, but 'average' is still meaningless in this context. For a start you haven't actually defined what you're taking an average of. Review score would seem logical but you haven't explicitly said that. And how are you getting that review score; Metacritic? Or something else? And having got your mathematically average review score are you only looking at games with that score or some kind of band around that? Or something else entirely?

I'm not trying to be an arse about this (though succeeding admirably anyway I realise!) but the word average just doesn't mean anything here unless it's explicitly defined. And, given the various possible factors that all come together to effect a game's sales, not being explicit renders any statement close to pointless.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 16:27 
Bad Girl

markg wrote:
What game hasn't had a trailer?

Loads of the Minis on PSN for a start. It's been getting loads better but there was a time when PSN just had a picture, price and a description of what you might be playing if you paid them money.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 19:46 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... ing-to-ps4
Quote:
PS1/PS2 games heading to PlayStation 4

Backwards compatibility is coming to PlayStation 4, and PlayStation Now is only part of the story. A well-placed source working with Sony's streaming service reveals that only PlayStation 3 titles are currently scheduled to use the "gameplay over IP" cloud service. PS1 and PS2 titles are set to follow the more conventional route of running locally under emulation on Sony's latest console - but with the possibility of HD visual enhancements.

While Sony effectively phased out hardware emulation of previous platforms during the early stages of the PS3 era, it has worked consistently on opening up the PlayStation back catalogue to publishers via software emulation and PSN downloads. Internally, PlayStation 3's firmware contains emulators for PS1, PS2 and even the handheld PSP, while Vita is capable of running PS1 and Vita titles virtually flawlessly using the same technology. In short, there's a proven codebase that can only get better for the vastly more powerful PS4.

Our information suggests that the same internal emulator strategy is planned for PlayStation 4, and we understand that Sony is actively pursuing the ability for older titles to run without the blurry upscaling seen on PS3, suggesting that native HD resolutions are being targeted. Assuming this intention carries through to final code, we'll be seeing an effect similar to the resolution scaling seen on unofficial PC emulation of Sony's consoles, as well as a great many of the "HD remasters" we saw on PS3 - where original assets were rendered at a higher resolution, often without any actual remastering at all.

Sony's use of emulation as opposed to PlayStation Now streaming is an interesting decision - and the right one for enthusiast gamers. Running code locally provides a superior experience in terms of both input latency and image quality, and owing to the bandwidth requirements of continuous gameplay streaming, a single download could actually work out better economically for the platform holder. However, anything that can be run on PS3 can also operate on the PlayStation Now servers, so theoretically there is no technical reason why PS1, PS2 and PSP titles running on the existing, upscaling PS3 emulators couldn't be added to the streaming service should Sony see fit - though HD resolution scaling would most likely be off the table in those circumstances.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 23:08 
Worst

Quote:
while Vita is capable of running PS1 and Vita titles virtually flawlessly

Talk about damning with faint praise...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 23:32 
UltraMod

throughsilver wrote:
Quote:

I think they meant to put PSP instead of Vita the second time there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 23:56 
Worst

British Nervoso wrote:
throughsilver wrote:
Quote:

So do I. But 'meant to put' is weak when we're talking an allegedly professional operation.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 0:03 
UltraMod

throughsilver wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:
throughsilver wrote:
Quote:

So do I. But 'meant to put' is weak when we're talking an allegedly professional operation.

You've not read Eurogamer before then?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 0:24 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Yay! I've always wanted to buy all my PSone games again.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:03 
SavyGamer

There's no reason to assume that they won't let you play discs.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:35 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I'm sure you're right but there's an opportunity to make some money which I'm sure Sony won't pass up on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:37 
SavyGamer

Well full PS1/PS2 backward compatibility would probably help shift a few PS4s.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:39 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

TheVision wrote:
Yay! I've always wanted to buy all my PSone games again.

See, anyone else and I'd know they were being sarcastic...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:42 
UltraMod

TheVision wrote:
I'm sure you're right but there's an opportunity to make some money which I'm sure Sony won't pass up on.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... unt-on-ps4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 19:04 
8-Bit Champion

British Nervoso wrote:
TheVision wrote:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... unt-on-ps4

In contrast (i'm sure there are other links but Lewie's tweet is what i have to hand)

https://twitter.com/LewieP/status/428201375202541568

Quote:
WoW with Mudcrabs is £50 on Xbox One, requires a £9 subscription, Xbox Live Gold at £5 a month, and has microtransactions.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 0:35 
Worst

British Nervoso wrote:
throughsilver wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:
throughsilver wrote:
Quote:

You've not read Eurogamer before then?

Not much, no.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 17:36 
8-Bit Champion

Next firmware update tomorrow :

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/02/ ... -detailed/

Quote:
New wireless stereo headset for PlayStation 4 revealed, PS4 system update 1.60 detailed

The next system software update for PlayStation 4 (version 1.60) will be released tomorrow (4th February 2014), bringing compatibility support to PS4 for the PULSE Wireless Stereo Headset (including the GTA V limited edition version) and the original Wireless Stereo Headset.

This means that you will now be able to use these wireless headsets on your PS4 and can experience 7.1 virtual surround sound and voice chat while playing your PS4 games.

Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0 for PS4
We’re also pleased to tell you about a new headset that is coming soon for PS4. The Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0 will be available from 10th February 2014 (market dependant) at £79.99/€89.99 SRP.

This new wireless headset for PS4 features stunning 7.1 virtual surround sound, as well as a crystal clear, noise-cancelling internal microphone for chatting to friends on Party, when playing online multiplayer.

The headset can be used at home using the USB wireless adaptor with your PS4, PS3, PC or Mac for up to 8 hours thanks to its rechargeable battery. You can also use the headset on the go with your PS Vita or with other mobile devices using the included 3.5mm stereo mini jack. With its foldable design the headset is ideal for travel and storage, so when you’re not using it, simply fold your headset up.

Headset Companion App
What’s more, you’ll be able to access custom sound modes to enhance your gameplay, music and movie experience on PS4 and PS3 through the Headset Companion App, available soon from PlayStation Store at no extra cost (also available through an update patch to the PULSE Manager app on PS3).

Make sure you look out for future releases of sound modes that are specifically tuned to enhance the audio in your favourite PS4 games. The first sound mode that will be coming soon to the app is being developed by Sucker Punch for their highly anticipated PS4 exclusive, inFAMOUS Second Son.

n addition, the app also offers a variety of preset audio modes for games, music and movies, as well as a tool to create your own custom EQ mode.

The Headset Companion App will be compatible with Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0 and the PULSE Wireless Stereo Headsets on both PS4 and PS3.

PlayStation App Update – Version 1.6
An update released to the PlayStation App for iOS and Android devices last week, added ‘Live from PlayStation‘ support (among other features), allowing you to browse and launch videos of live gameplay on your phone or tablet via USTREAM or Twitch.

For additional information on PS4 system update v.1.60, including how to update your system, please click here when the update goes live.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 17:44 
Bad Girl

Is that PSN game out PS+ yet? Contrast or something? The horror one?

And why does the Playstation iphone app never let me log into the store? It's spazzy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 18:48 
Excellent Member

Contrast isn't a horror game by any description, are you sure that's what you're thinking of?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 18:54 
8-Bit Champion

He's thinking of outlast which is due out tomorrow ?

** edit - actually its the day after - outlast is due out on the 5th of Feb

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9533&p=804968&hilit=outlast#p804968

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 19:00 
8-Bit Champion

BTW Lewie's site has a few PS4 digital titles from Amazon US down to between £21 and £26

Knack for £24.49
Injustice for £21.43
Killzone for £26.34

http://savygamer.co.uk/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 14:04 
ugvm'er at heart...

The new wireless headset looks quite good actually. £80 for wireless 7.1 sound with noise cancelling mic, not a bad price compared to the Turtle Beach ones!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 23:31 
Bad Girl

YES!

Outlast on PS4 is freaking awesome and an inspired choice for a PS+ game. Shit, which thread am I in? Anyhoo (maybe it should have its own thread) ... anyhoo, it's given me two big scares already. Fucking joyous scares. You don't get that in games these days do'ya? First one reet shit me up, but it was probably due to a number of factors: being in the mood, turning the lights off and turning the sound up.

I suggest you do the same.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 23:36 

I've just turned it off. It's great but I really need to be in the right mood for something that's going to keep making me jump all the time. I normally just want to unwind at this sort of time, by shot gunning someone in the face, not cowering around somewhere armed with fuck all but a video camera.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:34 
8-Bit Champion

markg wrote:
I've just turned it off. It's great but I really need to be in the right mood for something that's going to keep making me jump all the time. I normally just want to unwind at this sort of time, by shot gunning someone in the face, not cowering around somewhere armed with fuck all but a video camera.

Basically :this:

I played through till i entered the Library then saved and turned it off thinking i was not really in the right mood to play it

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 20:58 
Decapodian

I got down to the basement with the generator before running away and hiding. Don't think this is the game for me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 22:49 
Bad Girl

You people suck ass. We finally get something different and weird and all you want to do is blast stuff in the face with guns. Ain't we had enough of that last-gen!?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 23:04 
Decapodian

I'd love a different game, but sitting there feeling scared isn't my idea of fun.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:46 
Bad Girl

Anyone had a look at Playstation Live?

It's stupid but brilliant.

Essentially, you can watch people playing: live. And watch people not playing live, if that's your thing as well.

I'm watching a Japanese guy play Killzone 4. In Japanese. Natch. He won't bloody aim down the sights. Frustrating.

You can post comments and do a full screen in your face and everything. Plus the streaming quality starts out ropey then sorts itself out and it's kinda like playing it on your telly! A-Maze. Some aren't, mind.

Anyhoo, if you ever wanted to see what a game actually plays like before buying then this is your thing. Or you could use youtube or something. Or some other sites, I mean, whatever, it's a free country and all, but this is right here when you turn your console on.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 23:22 
Bad Girl

Killzone 4 a short review:

What is this shit? It's shit. Seriously, utter garbage. Probably not as bad as Killzone 3 but for the PS4's big title it's the worse shit in the world. Did I mention it was shit?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 0:27 
Paws for thought

Saturnalian wrote:
Killzone 4 a short review:

What is this shit? It's shit. Seriously, utter garbage. Probably not as bad as Killzone 3 but for the PS4's big title it's the worse shit in the world. Did I mention it was shit?

I can't remember; Did you like killzone 2?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 0:50 
Bad Girl

Weirdly I did, and a fair bit too. The multiplayer was ace too.

There's something seriously fucked about this and it's difficult to put my finger on (something worse than the glaringly obvious mediocrity oozing from every pore). I thought, for a moment, it was the amount of bullets a grunt takes or the size of the clips. It's making me itch.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 0:55 
Rude Belittler

I thought it was alright, sort of (original) Red Faction to the Half-Life of Halo/FEAR/Other quality shooters. Mediocre but enjoyable enough in its own way. On a sensible 1-10 scale it'd be a 6.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:21 
Paws for thought

Saturnalian wrote:
Weirdly I did, and a fair bit too. The multiplayer was ace too.

There's something seriously fucked about this and it's difficult to put my finger on (something worse than the glaringly obvious mediocrity oozing from every pore). I thought, for a moment, it was the amount of bullets a grunt takes or the size of the clips. It's making me itch.

I remember liking it as the ai was fun to play against. But we never managed to organise any mp so never played it.
although I also remember the final boss sucking most mightily. and it being a bit too miserablist.

Never tried any of the sequels. Looks like that's likely to continue.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:29 
UltraMod

I got Killzone Mercenary on the Vita in the December sale, but I'm still yet to try it because it looks so meh. Damn these impulse buys!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:12 
Excellent Member

I picked up Killzone 2 when I first got my PS3 and was catching up on the various exclusives but I gave up on it very quickly. I can't remember for sure what bugged me but there was something really fundamental about how the guns worked that just bugged the shit out of me and made it unplayable.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:19 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
I picked up Killzone 2 when I first got my PS3 and was catching up on the various exclusives but I gave up on it very quickly. I can't remember for sure what bugged me but there was something really fundamental about how the guns worked that just bugged the shit out of me and made it unplayable.

Early PS3 games were mainly terrible. I got the first Resistance game last year because it was set in the UK and that appealed to me, but it was really quite poor. I never finished it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:24 

Killzone 2 was far from terrible. On anything but the idiot setting it was actually difficult and in the right way. The Resistance games are probably one of my favourite FPS series.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:25 
UltraMod

markg wrote:
The Resistance games are probably one of my favourite FPS series.

It must get better after the first one then. It was a throwback to FPS games from the 90s in all the bad ways possible.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:32 
Excellent Member

British Nervoso wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Early PS3 games were mainly terrible. I got the first Resistance game last year because it was set in the UK and that appealed to me, but it was really quite poor. I never finished it.

Like you I was attracted to the idea of shooting aliens in a ruined Manchester cathedral but I played the demo and wasn't at all impressed either.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:03 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I completed Resistance - I think I might have got the game with my PS3. Anyway, there wasn't much else about at the time. It was average.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:05 

British Nervoso wrote:
markg wrote:

It must get better after the first one then. It was a throwback to FPS games from the 90s in all the bad ways possible.

Yeah the first was average, the sequels were way better than that. Fun and inventive games that hardly anyone has played.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:11 
UltraMod

markg wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:
markg wrote:

Yeah the first was average, the sequels were way better than that. Fun and inventive games that hardly anyone has played.

It's a shame that my chrono-completionist OCD won't allow me to play them. :(

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:56 
Paws for thought

British Nervoso wrote:
markg wrote:

I tried the demo of resistance and hated it
I got Resistance 2, and thought it was goodish, but gave up on it when insta-kill invisible enemies appeared.
although
Resistance 3 is probably one of the best FPSs I've played in recent years. But I do have a preference for somewhat old-school shooters, so things like health conservation, exploration, interesting weapons etc etc which are utterly lacking in most modern shooters played quite a large role in that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 17:04 
Bad Girl

Re: Killzone 2.

I don't mind a reet miserable FPS or indeed any miserable game, hell, I prefer something dark and oppressive done in the right way, and Killzone 2 was better than most FPS' at the time for big explosive grittiness in spacky-space. Meaty weapons, slow reloads, and bags of ammo as your huge ridiculous gun papped off round after round - all good stuff in my eyes, especially as it retained the best looking baddies since Storm Troopers. The baddies really made KZ2 with their red eyes, robotic looking, synthetic voices and the fact that they came right up in your face and shot at you. You could fucking see them in all their glory. All of this was what was right about Killzone uno in the first place.

You know when KZ2 got shit? When they took their masks off. Right then and there, the robotic nazi's of the future got shit. The fact that the final boss was just a stupid guy with a stupid face unmasked the baddies as just some stupid humans.

Baddies should be bad. Unrelentingly bad. KZ4 unmasks them further and, 4 chapters in, it's shit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 17:17 
Bad Girl

Re: Resistance 2

I never played Resistance so it's probably shit. Resistance 2 looks a bit ropey today (hell, when I played it so many years ago it looked ropey back then) but there's still something awesome and old skool about it. Plus, the big baddies on a big scale which were pretty awesome.

Best of all, it had that level where those spaggy slimey monster things that charge at your BY THE HUNDREDS across a deserted suburban enviroment. They were brilliant.

I finished it of course, cause I ain't no chicken like yo' mamma.

And Resistance 3 is the best FPS in ages. Still is.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 22:53 
Bad Girl

KZ4: I can only carry 2 guns and it won't let me get rid of the stock gun so I'm down to a choice of juggling the secondary. What the fuck is this shit!?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 23:17 
Bad Girl

Chapter 5 done and it doesn't get better, only worse. The sign posting is dreadful, the checkpoints unhelpful, the environments a muddy mess of clutter. Chapter 5's area is just a load of giant blocks, like some shit out the Matrix (y'know, where all the humans are in desk drawers). It's bland, it's boring then this bit that's suppose to be a QTE is just you pressing R3 once and then not doing fuck all. You watch a terrible fight sequence then some shit happens that looks terrible and you couldn't care less. This is garbage.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 23:35 
Bad Girl

Seriously bored of this now. Hacking spider bots? Following someone around for the millionth time? Following the commands of a voice over my radio because I've lost my weapons. Yes, all two of them. *yawn*

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 16:01 
UltraMod

Killzone: Shadow Fall multiplayer free for a week - doesn't even require PS+!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:28 
Bad Girl

Killzone 4: the worst FPS I've played since Killzone 3.

I've reached a section where the magic orange dot which shows me where to go hangs limply about 100 yards from where I am. A huge machine that unloads everything it has into my face scans the ground between us and decimates my character (void of any personality of course, but at least he speaks up) whenever I stand up. Here's brought his friends too so I've got two flying bots to contend with and an unimpressive spider machine that's also patrolling the area.

You can't attack the big machine.

You can kill the two bots but you won't be able to kill the roaming spider machine.

No one has said anything.

You can't explore because as soon as you emerge everyone will fire at you continuously until you're dead (which won't take long).

Any other game that realised it had trouble with sign posting (which Killzone 4 suffers from by the pound) would stick another waypoint in here to highlight what to do. The times I've been wandering about looking for the next exit are insufferable. Doors arbitrarily open when most are locked, vents are shoved in obscure places, stairs are hidden in the darkness, hell, loads of things are hidden in the darkness. It's so fecking dark and my super ninja character has forgot to bring a flashlight! Inexcusable.

This game is shit.

EDIT: A walk through reveals I've got to explode two power cells (tediously called capacitators) dotted about. Quite why it couldn't tell me that or just cram a diamond on it I've no idea.

Reply to topic  [ 2598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 52  Next