Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Re: PS4 confirmed
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 23:27 
Excellent Member

Joans wrote:
Doesn't the PS4 prioritise installing what you need to start the game, then carry on afterwards?

Maybe, I stick the disc in and a bar fills up very quickly then I can play the game, which was pretty much the same with the PS3. With the 360 you were obviously doing a full copy of all game disc to the HDD.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 23:40 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

You don't have to install the games on the 360 though do you? They'd play happily (but noisily) off the disk. Wasn't it the case with the PS3 that you HAD to run the installation process before you could start the game?

As for the PS4 and Xbox One... I don't know.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 23:54 
Excellent Member

TheVision wrote:
You don't have to install the games on the 360 though do you? They'd play happily (but noisily) off the disk. Wasn't it the case with the PS3 that you HAD to run the installation process before you could start the game?

Everything you've said there is true. I don't think any of its relevant though, is it?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 0:05 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Bamba wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Everything you've said there is true. I don't think any of its relevant though, is it?

Not to your latest post admittedly, why I didn't read it? I don't know. I was replying to this.... which I probably should have quoted before now.

Bamba wrote:
Side question: why do both the PS3 and PS4 install games in like ten seconds but the 360 and, apparently, the Xbone take forever?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:44 
SavyGamer

There are a couple of signs pointing to an imminent announcement of some kind of PS2 backwards compatibility on the PS4, wouldn't that be fun?

Three PS2 Star Wars titles just got a limited PSN release, currently only available as part of a PS4 bundle with Battlefront, but they all appear to be emulated rather than any kind of port. Sony have said they will be available to purchase seperately at a later date, but no more details. Footage of one of them here.
A handful of other PS2 titles got PEGI rated for PS4 not that long ago.

There's other suggestions from a while ago that something like this was in the pipeline (Eurogamer reported that an anonymous source told them it was happening, Sony patented adding trophies to older games running via an emulator, and a few other smaller things), but it looks like it is actually happening now.

An announcement at the Playstation Experience (5th of December) makes the most sense to me.

What I have no idea about are whether it will be digital only, or whether discs will be supported (or indeed whether discs would be locked by region like the original consoles were). It's also anyone's guess over whether PS3 Classics bought on the PS3 would copy over, or if they would be a separate purchase.

Looks like the Star Wars games are running at at least 720p, natively rendered rather than just upscaled. I'd be interested to see framerate comparisons too, it's tricky getting emulators to increase games with locked framerates, but less tricky to get them to smooth off framerate dips. The PS4 not having any PS3 BC is a shame, but I think having a generous selection of crossbuy titles, definitive editions, and crossgen games is decent too, and means that a lot of the PS3's heavy hitters are already on the PS4 in some form. But PS2 support is a huge deal, imo. The PS2 had a fantastic library, full of hidden gems. Being able to play them at 1080p on a modern system (with access to PS4 system features like streaming/recording/screenshots) would be a wonderful feature for the system.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:47 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

If they also do PS1 backward compatability I can get rid of my PS3!

I might just buy an actual PS1, to be honest.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:18 
SavyGamer

There is less evidence supporting PS1 right now, but it seems like it would be a no brainer. There have been relatively recent PS1 releases on PSN, like Suikoden 1&2 and Vib Ribbon (but only available on PS3/PSP/PS Vita), and FF7 and other heavy hitters still sell well enough to top the charts on months they are discounted.

Considering the PS3, PSP and PS Vita run PS1 games via software emulation, I am actually really surprised the PS4 doesn't already.

I guess they might want to let the PS2 games they have available digitally take the full limelight when released, with PS1 support coming at a later date, but I think PS1/2 at the same time is probably more likely.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:22 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Well - The Playstation Experience is 5th / 6th of December and I would suggest is the type of place they would announce this ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:23 
Paws for thought

Grim... wrote:

Do you expect the PS4 to support CDs or something?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:28 
SavyGamer

zaphod79 wrote:
Well - The Playstation Experience is 5th / 6th of December and I would suggest is the type of place they would announce this ?

Yeah, I said as much in my post.

It would explain why the Star Wars games are not available to buy individually yet, when they are obviously available and released for anyone who who bought the Battlefront bundle. They are waiting for something to make the generally available.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:34 
Decapodian

Grim... wrote:

I've got a couple of spares if you want one. I think I found four in the loft in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:41 

Grim... wrote:

Get a PS2 slim, they also play PS1 games perfectly. They are tiny and silent, and can be hooked up to a modern TV via a PS3 component cable for a rather splendid image (although you must change some obscure option in the PS2 menus for this to work).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:47 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

lasermink wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Get a PS2 slim, they also play PS1 games perfectly. They are tiny and silent, and can be hooked up to a modern TV via a PS3 component cable for a rather splendid image (although you must change some obscure option in the PS2 menus for this to work).

Aha, excellent. I shall do this.

Although I'm not entirely sure why I'm not just keeping the PS3, considering it plays all the games I want it to.

Huh.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:51 

I should say relatively silent, they still have some sort of fan thing that will spin up under stress.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:53 

LewieP wrote:
What I have no idea about are whether it will be digital only, or whether discs will be supported (or indeed whether discs would be locked by region like the original consoles were). It's also anyone's guess over whether PS3 Classics bought on the PS3 would copy over, or if they would be a separate purchase.
If PS1 games, that shipped on CDs, worked in a PS4 while audio CDs didn't then MaliA might explode. That's reason enough to hope this happens.

On a pure business level, though, supporting discs makes this a service worth very little to Sony's bottom line [1] whereas selling those games digitally for modest sums makes it revenue generating. Seems like an easy call for the bean counters.

Quote:
But PS2 support is a huge deal, imo. The PS2 had a fantastic library, full of hidden gems. Being able to play them at 1080p on a modern system (with access to PS4 system features like streaming/recording/screenshots) would be a wonderful feature for the system.
Agreed. This could be a pretty big deal. Like, I think perhaps I'd rather have access to the full PS2 catalog on a PS4 than access to a limited number of 360 games on the Xbone, for example. Mostly because I already played all the 360 games I care about but the PS2 ones are old enough that I might fancy replaying a couple of classics.

[1] There could be indirect revenue from this being a significant enough feature to sell a few extra PS4s but how much would that amount to really?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 13:26 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
If PS1 games, that shipped on CDs, worked in a PS4 while audio CDs didn't then MaliA might explode.

It's fine, he'll just hack the analog ADP feed to over-ride the optical firewall and write an app that patches the compression matrix of all his CDs.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 13:46 
Gogmagog

Bamba wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
If PS1 games, that shipped on CDs, worked in a PS4 while audio CDs didn't then MaliA might explode.

It's fine, he'll just hack the analog ADP feed to over-ride the optical firewall and write an app that patches the compression matrix of all his CDs.

Yeah, if I was a n00b.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 13:50 
SavyGamer

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
On a pure business level, though, supporting discs makes this a service worth very little to Sony's bottom line [1] whereas selling those games digitally for modest sums makes it revenue generating. Seems like an easy call for the bean counters.

[1] There could be indirect revenue from this being a significant enough feature to sell a few extra PS4s but how much would that amount to really?

I'm in two minds about this. I don't think supporting discs will actually result in significantly less sales via PSN. Most sales of classic games are impulse purchases for the convenience, and prices of discs of many of the top tier PS1/PS2 classics are through the roof. As you say, they could sell more PS4s, and it would be an excellent PR win (especially in the face of 360 BC on the Xbox One supporting downloads and discs).

They supported PS1 discs on PS2s. They supported PS1 discs on all PS3s and PS2 discs on some PS3s.

I could see it going either way, and whilst I'm not likely to go on a massive shopping spree for old games off the back of disc support, it would be nice for the titles which (for whatever reason) are not ever going to be sold digitally. Especially if disc support was region free.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 19:12 
SavyGamer

The dorks at Digital Foundry have taken a look at these games. Initial impressions suggest increased resolution and improved framerates.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:24 
SavyGamer

No more details at all, but Sony have confirmed that they are working on PS2 emulation for PS4.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 17:31 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

PS4 has now sold 30.2 million units

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 84370.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:21 
Excellent Member

Sony working on a Remote Play app for Windows/OSX:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/11/27/sony ... s-and-mac/

If that was accessible from my work PC that would be wonderful/terrible.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:25 

I would actually have to phone networks and get them to create a firewall rule just to stop me from using it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:40 
Excellent Member

markg wrote:
I would actually have to phone networks and get them to create a firewall rule just to stop me from using it.

I suspect my boss would stop me long before it came to that via the medium of firing me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:50 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:

I thought someone had already hacked one together?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:52 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Ah, via an Android Emulator. Clever.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame ... _works_in/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:18 
SavyGamer

The news occurred because the man from Sony said they were making an official app in response questions about it triggered by the dude who made the hacked together getting ready to release a proper version of the app. Charging for it and all.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:44 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Ah, via an Android Emulator. Clever.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame ... _works_in/

I'm not sure running an Android app in an Android emulator is all that clever. ;) That's not the unofficial Windows Remote Play app though, that's currently being worked on and hasn't been released yet. And probably won't be now if Sony are working on an official one as it presumably means no one will fund the development of the unofficial one.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:46 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
I'm not sure running an Android app in an Android emulator is all that clever. ;)

You've clearly not tried it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:19 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:
I'm not sure running an Android app in an Android emulator is all that clever. ;)

Difficult <> clever.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:27 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Although my wife is both.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 15:43 
UltraMod

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare just released for £16. Could be good fun for bezziage!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 17:23 

Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Difficult <> clever.

Learn a proper programming language.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 18:43 
Excellent Member

lasermink wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Difficult <> clever.

Bite my ass.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 19:15 

Bamba wrote:
lasermink wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Difficult <> clever.

Bite my ass.

?SYNTAX ERROR

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:19 
Participant in dramatic games

So which one of these ps2 games i should try (i never had a ps2)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... 4-tomorrow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:20 

Festive Warrior wrote:
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare just released for £16. Could be good fun for bezziage!

Sword fighting? I'm in

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:49 
SavyGamer

Amazing to me that Microsoft's BC solution grants you the game for no additional charge even if you bought it a decade ago, but Sony won't even offer crossbuy on PS2 games bought bought digitally in the last year. Bit of a role reversal.

Of the announced games, only ones I am tempted to buy so far are PaRappa the Rapper 2 and Ape Escape 2.

Dark Cloud is supposed to be pretty good, as is Rogue Galaxy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 15:02 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I'm in for Parappa and Bloody Roar.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 15:05 
SavyGamer

Where did you see Bloody Roar?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:31 
SavyGamer

Rez for PS4. With VR support.

Sony just won PSX.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 19:58 

Sony has as of yesterday put this on special offer for 300 euro (50 euro off) in Spain for a week (or until 40000 units have been sold, they say). It should be noted that in Spain presents are not given on Christmas Day but on Three Kings' Day (6th of January), so this is designed to coincide with prime time gift shopping. It is offered at this price on Amazon.es as part of the campaign.

So now I have one! I may even get some games for it at some point...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 13:02 
Rude Belittler

Dark Cloud is a bit... weird. It's like a 3D Zelda with random dungeons and frog golf. And village building.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:34 

amplitude review.. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... ude-review

but i can't find it on the psn store?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 15:26 

The controller sure does run out of juice quickly. It seems only slightly better than the Wii U gamepad, but at least with that I got a nice charging cradle rather than a comically short USB cable.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 13:20 

Is there a secret to getting through the layers of stupid I'm encountering contacting playstation support, or do they just keep it up until you go away?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 13:42 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Why the fuck are you contacting playstation support?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 13:48 
Decapodian

Joans wrote:
Is there a secret to getting through the layers of stupid I'm encountering contacting playstation support, or do they just keep it up until you go away?

If you are lucky they won't ban your console.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 13:49 

That seems to be their attitude.
Someone else has been spending my money. It's just credit that was on there, there's no bank details, and I don't expect them to do anything, so I was quite happy to make a note not to be such a dick and leave money on the account in the future, but I thought I should probably tell them just in case I got someone sympathetic.

Unfortunately, all I'm getting is either some basic AI picking up on key words in my emails, or real live people that I'm amazed can tie their shoes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 13:50 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Who the fuck stole your money? What a cunt. How much was it?

Reply to topic  [ 2598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 52  Next