Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Call of Duty 10 : Ghosts
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:36 
UltraMod

Of course, we have no idea how the Xbone version compares, because Microsoft have an embargo on all reviews until 12th November. :S

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:37 
UltraMod

Curiosity wrote:
SilentElk wrote:
PS4 version has frame rate issues. For a series that prides itself on 60fps no matter what else has to be sacrificed, that's got to be a concern.

You are Atrocity Exhibition, and I claim my five pounds.

I don't give a shit, but hardcore CoD players care deeply about 60fps. Apparently the 360/PS3 versions are ok.

-edit- better?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:22 
I forgot about this - how vain

I would argue that the rock-steady 60fps is the reason lots of 'non-gamers' (like my GF) love the game.

It gives the controls a real sense of, erm, control. If you get what I mean.

For example, a more experienced player can cope with frame rate dips during explosions and things, but a beginner can't. They need the frame rate to be the most stable then, so they can panically orientate themselves.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:30 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

First look at Extinctions :

Definitely has a bit of a zombies look to it

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:54 
8-Bit Champion

Other reviews still seem to have this as a mid 7 or an 8 at best

IGN : http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/05/ ... sts-review - 8.8
Machinima : http://www.insidegamingdaily.com/2013/1 ... ts-review/ - 8.5
Official Xbox magazine : http://www.oxm.co.uk/64887/reviews/call ... ts-review/ - 8.0
EGM : http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/ ... rrent-gen/ - 7.5
Polygon : http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/5/505264 ... sts-review - 6.5
Giant Bomb : http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/call-o ... /1900-603/ - 6.0
Destructiod : http://www.destructoid.com/review-call- ... 4903.phtml - 5.0

And almost excuses for them not breaking records this year :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24803894

Quote:
Call of Duty: Ghosts launches ahead of new games consoles

The creator of the latest Call of Duty video game has acknowledged that initial sales of the title are likely to be slower than last time round.

CoD: Ghosts launches weeks ahead of the release of Sony and Microsoft's new consoles.

As a result, Mark Rubin, studio head at developer Infinity Ward, said some gamers would wait for the new hardware to become available.

The previous game, CoD: Black Ops II, made $1bn (£630m) within 15 days.

By the end of last year, more than 2.6 million copies had been sold in the UK alone - nearly double the number of tickets bought for the Avengers Assemble movie - making it the country's best-selling entertainment release of 2012.

"Next-gen has historically created a bit of a challenge for all games from a numbers standpoint," Mr Rubin told the BBC.

"It's definitely something we're aware of. I know talking to a lot of people, figuring out what they're going to buy is a problem.

"I think it will be spread out a little bit - it's harder to do the day-one [sales]... but I think we're in a good spot."

He added that to encourage early take-up, publisher Activision was offering purchasers of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 games discounted copies of the Xbox One and PS4 editions if they upgraded within a time limit.

The launch is publisher Activision Blizzard's first since it gained its independence by using debt to buy most of French firm Vivendi's shares in the business.
Dog play

Ghosts is the first game in a new story arc, set in 2023 - a future in which much of the US lies in ruins after an attack by a space weapons system. In the single-player campaign, players take part in a military unit attempting to lead a fight-back against a new South American superpower.
Call of Duty: Ghosts Ghosts' plot was scripted by Stephen Gaghan, the writer of the movies Traffic and Syriana

It is being released just over a decade after the first CoD game went on sale. As part of efforts to keep the franchise fresh, Infinity Ward has added features not available before.

These include:

the ability to alter the landscape, changing available pathways and sightlines
new multiplayer Squads modes, which allow players to create a customised team of soldiers that can be pitched against other groups of human and computer-controlled characters
the chance to play as a German-shepherd dog

Gameplay in both the current and next-generation console editions is similar, although the latter promises superior graphics and the ability to have more people involved in multi-player battles.

"Early adopters of consoles will want a game that impresses visually," said Michael French, publisher of games trade magazine MCV.

"The games don't have to be 100% original. Eventually over time the audience will want something new - the big franchises will have to either take some time out or totally reinvent themselves.

"But for those buying close to day one, they just want something that looks better."
Battlefield 4 EA's rival first-person shooter, Battlefield 4, went on sale at the end of October

Ghosts will compete against Electronic Arts' recently released war game Battlefield 4 - which has won praise for its large-scale multiplayer maps - and its highly anticipated sci-fi shooter Titanfall, which has been developed by several former members of Infinity Ward.
Different resolutions

Mr Rubin caused surprise last week when he revealed that only the PlayStation 4 version renders Ghosts in full 1080p high-definition video.

The Xbox One and Nintendo's Wii U consoles will deliver 720p graphics - half the resolution - despite the fact they can support the higher-quality format.

"We did what we could to make sure each platform looked as good as it could and that it performed," Mr Rubin told the BBC.

"One of the key pillars of Call of Duty has been 60 frames per second... and ensuring that was of utmost importance, and the resolutions that appear are geared around that."

The PS4 and Xbox One are both powered by customised chips from the same manufacturer, AMD - however, Sony's machine has more cores in its graphics processing unit (GPU) and uses faster, albeit more expensive, RAM memory.
Call of D Gamers play part of the latest Call of Duty as a dog named Riley

However, Mr Rubin did not rule out future CoD titles running in 1080p on Microsoft's machine.

"It don't think it's the case that the Xbox One definitely can't do it - I just think that we need time to get there.

"It's a normal thing when new platforms come out that the first games are trying to find their feet.

"An analogy I use is that it's like an awkward first date - you're still trying to figure each other out.

"There's enormous amounts of work ahead of us in perfecting our game engines on both platforms."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 13:06 
ugvm'er at heart...

Was tempted to pic this up from Tesco this lunchtime, as I didn't bother with the last one, and my gold sub has expired so no more BF3 fun.
Getting this on PS3 would tide me over for a few weeks of multiplayer action.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 0:42 
8-Bit Champion

Well its Call of Duty - reminds me a lot of MW3 (not surprisingly) - Non Hardcore modes are still crap with the enemy firing a single bullet to kill you and you unloading a clip to down them - quickscoping is back (again) and the hardcore game modes are very limited (just TDM / KC / and new 'search and rescue' instead of S&D)

There is a 'hoard' mode type game with never ending waves of attackers (although i cant work out how to revive myself when i'm downed in this one - in the old version i'm sure it was a headshot to get yourself back up) , and the Extinction mode is interesting

Character selection stuff is very locked down at the start although you can see that there are a ton of perks to choose from - and the 'support' killstreak stuff is back so you can accumulate helpful items for the team even if your getting killed a lot.

It looks to give you a random set of 'marines' which you can level up independently and they are all named / different sexes - I assume its using your profile information to make sure the first one is the same sex that you are - oh and my default character is called 'Gill' (although its a guy)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:49 

You know games journalism is shit when the metro is the stand out example of actual journalism:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/05/call-of-duty-ghosts-mark-rubin-interview-there-are-things-that-were-not-allowed-to-talk-about-4173810/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:00 
Sleepyhead

Dr Lave wrote:
You know games journalism is shit when the metro is the stand out example of actual journalism:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/05/call-of-duty-ghosts-mark-rubin-interview-there-are-things-that-were-not-allowed-to-talk-about-4173810/

That was actually a really good interview!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:22 
UltraMod

Curiosity wrote:
Dr Lave wrote:

The Metro website is pretty good when it comes to games. Obviously I avoid everything else on it, as it's owned by the Daily Mail.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:24 
Sleepyhead

SilentElk wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Dr Lave wrote:

The Metro website is pretty good when it comes to games. Obviously I avoid everything else on it, as it's owned by the Daily Mail.

Plus our old friend Rich from MB works for them!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:42 
UltraMod

Curiosity wrote:
SilentElk wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Dr Lave wrote:

Plus our old friend Rich from MB works for them!

Yep, Social Media & Community Manager, whatever that means. We're friends on Twitter. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:49 

Aye, it's a really great article. Really impressed.

I wish the 'proper' (haha) games media would learn a thing or two from it/grow a backbone.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:53 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Dr Lave wrote:
Aye, it's a really great article. Really impressed.

I wish the 'proper' (haha) games media would learn a thing or two from it/grow a backbone.

:this:

Reading the responses, the interviewee seemed to really enjoy it, too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 18:24 
8-Bit Champion

http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/06/call-of-d ... e-4175989/

Quote:
Call of Duty: Ghosts branded ‘lazy’ for reusing Modern Warfare 2 cutscene

Popular video game punching bag Call of Duty has come in for more criticism with its new title Ghosts, after a video posted on YouTube showed an animation from Modern Warfare 2 re-purposed for the Xbox 360/PS3 game.

A soldier is seen rescuing a fallen comrade in the clips, which are identical except for the characters’ clothes and method of extraction (helicopter in one, truck in the other).

Re-using animations isn’t entirely uncommon in video games, but the repetition is being seen as an example of much-maligned developer Infinity Ward’s ‘laziness’ by many online, with views for it rapidly climbing.

‘Cut and paste at it’s finest! Everything they do is cut and paste and they rake in billions every year with this sh*t,’ one typically angry YouTube commenter wrote, as another added: ‘I have a weird feeling that MW2 looked way better than Ghosts.’

The latest instalment of the first-person shooter franchise was released for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 this week, and is set to come out on next generation consoles Xbox One and PlayStation 4 later this month.

Early reviews of the PS4 edition have reported problems with the graphics, with testers saying that its frame rate dropped at several points during the game causing it to stutter.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 18:28 
8-Bit Champion

http://www.pcgamesn.com/callofduty/call ... s-prove-it

Quote:

Call of Duty: Ghosts multiplayer launch figures appear to be down about 30% from Black Ops II on Steam

Call of Duty: Ghosts is out, and the rails are running as they normally do. The super-fans are tucked up in bed, recovering from their midnight excursions. Everybody at Activision HQ has found a copy on their desk, as tradition dictates. And in a couple of days, the publishers will have announced that Ghosts had the biggest launch since the HMS Really Very Large.

But the new Call of Duty is quietly sinking on Steam.

Call of Duty: Ghosts’ single player peaked at just under 14,000 concurrent players at launch on Steam this week, and its multiplayer at 35,000. By contrast, Black Ops II’s single player topped 18,000 players in its first four days, and its multiplayer pushed beyond 50,000. That’s discounting Black Ops II’s Zombies mode, which runs in a separate executable and accounted for a further 7000 peak users in the same period.

The dip starts to look like a slide once you return to the launches of Modern Warfare 3 - 45,000 for single player, 80,000 for multiplayer - and the original Black Ops in 2010. Black Ops’ multiplayer peaked at over 95,000 concurrent players during its first four days after launch, and its single player pulled in 60,000 simultaneously.

There are three conclusions to be drawn, then. First, that single player Call of Duty has been all but abandoned by Steam users over the last couple of years. Second, that PC gamers are increasingly apathetic in the face of yearly CoD releases. And third, that Ghosts is a bit bum.

The metascore for Ghosts’ Xbox version currently sits at 74%, nine points below its predecessor. What’s more, its PC version is hamstrung by technical missteps: a missing FOV slider, frame rate issues even on the highest end machines, and a bizzare requirement that your machine has six GB of RAM, despite using less than two. We have Fraser playing it now, and first impressions are not good. For reasons why, maybe look to the upcoming consoles - a further two games for Infinity Ward and co. to develop alongside the usual three.

You might also conclude that Battlefield 4 has taken a serious bite out of CoD’s PC playerbase, despite its own catastrophic launch. But without figures easily available from Origin, we can’t know for sure.

What we do know is that Ghosts hasn’t turned out quite right. And though the console figures might tell a different story, PC gamers are losing interest.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 21:09 
ugvm'er at heart...

zaphod79 wrote:
and the hardcore game modes are very limited (just TDM / KC / and new 'search and rescue' instead of S&D)

This really fucking annoys me. Just give each mode a hardcore option.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 21:15 
Bad Girl

This is the first year since MW1 when I haven't picked it up on day 1. Apathy set in with BLOPS and it's got worse since.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 21:38 
Rude Belittler

I've not got it, because well, I'm getting a PS4 after chrimbo.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 22:03 
8-Bit Champion

Saturnalian wrote:
This is the first year since MW1 when I haven't picked it up on day 1. Apathy set in with BLOPS and it's got worse since.

I think :

MW1 - People went mad for - it was a truly ground breaking game
WaW - Same engine less polished - definitely a 'B team' game but introduced Zombies into the mix
MW2 - More of what made MW1 so good , took everything in there and turned it up to 11
BLOPS - A real try at making another story based game with some twists and turns and probably my favorite of the set
MW3 - From a stripped down and weakened IW - a few new ideas (KC and Infected) but very much a 'take what we had last year and update a few graphics'
BLOPS2 - A failed attempt at trying to really stretch the story mode and game out - I dont think Treyarch hit what they wanted to but they tried and I applaud them for it
GHOSTS - "take the last game and add some new graphics"

Of the two sides I prefer the Treyarch ones and I think a lot of the talent and skill that IW had left with their founders (shortly after MW2's launch)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 22:11 
If I have the money I'd be half tempted to get this if I can afford a PS4. But after not playing anything really for well over a year I'm not massively fussed anymore.

I'd rather play NHL,fifa, or NFL.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 22:27 
Bad Girl

zaphod79 wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

I think :

MW1 - People went mad for - it was a truly ground breaking game
WaW - Same engine less polished - definitely a 'B team' game but introduced Zombies into the mix
MW2 - More of what made MW1 so good , took everything in there and turned it up to 11
BLOPS - A real try at making another story based game with some twists and turns and probably my favorite of the set

Let's be absolutely clear, MW1 was a good military story off the bat, MW2 was a bit mental but still presented a story that was fresh at the time (in games anyway, since Russians invading was probably aped from films).

BLOPS was a convoluted attempt to be clever that fell on its arsehole.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:58 
Sleepyhead

I will be playing this tonight from about 8ish. Be there or be somewhere else

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:24 
8-Bit Champion

I will be on from just before 9

As in the previous games I'm doing better on HCKC than any other mode and they still have not fixed spawning (its very common to spawn , take 2 steps forward and be shot in the back by the guy on the enemy team that spawned in the same spot you did a second after you)

Double XP this weekend (starting tomorrow around mid-day)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 15:35 
8-Bit Champion

After all the '1 billion dollars' junk that Activision tried to push earlier in the week they are now admitting that Ghosts sold less than CODBLOPS2 at launch

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news ... dmits.html

Quote:
Call of Duty: Ghosts Sold Less Than Black Ops II at Launch, Activision Admits

espite trying to bamboozle us with unrepresentative stats, Call of Duty: Ghosts has sold less copies at launch than Black Ops II, Activision has said.

Speaking during an investors call last night, CFO Dennis Durkin said, “As we have said for more than a year now, console transition years are volatile and hard to predict, and this year is proving no different.”

“Today, we announced that we had shipped into retail more than $1bn of Call of Duty: Ghosts globally on day one based on an average wholesale price. As expected, due to the console transition and digital distribution, this number is down versus last year.

“This year, the sell-through curve will be different than in past years due to the multiple launches of new hardware later in the month and more days between our launch and the high-volume Black Friday at the end of the month.

“That said, it's a very solid achievement and shows the tremendous confidence our retail partners have and the strength of the game and franchise heading into this holiday.”

Call of Duty: Ghosts’ problem is a common one. Both Battlefield 4 and Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag launch sales were down on the previous year also, with next-gen versions on the horizon. Expect all those games to get a significant bump once Xbox One and PS4 launches later in the month.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 15:57 
Sleepyhead

Fewer copies.

And surely that was expected? Franchise fatigue combined with waiting for the new consoles in a couple of weeks!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 16:02 
8-Bit Champion

Curiosity wrote:
Fewer copies.

And surely that was expected? Franchise fatigue combined with waiting for the new consoles in a couple of weeks!

I expected it and I'm sure others did as well although after launch Activision made a big deal of public announcements that the game was 'selling better' than previous games and outsold GTA5.

For GTA5 the numbers quoted were all 'sell through' as in the games that were counted were actually sold to customers
For Ghosts the numbers were all 'sold into' as in they were just the total that were at retail stores

e.g. http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/201 ... -1-billion

"Call of Duty: Ghosts passes $1bn in retail sales"

I'm pretty sure for 'games sold to customers' that its not hit that number yet

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:33 
8-Bit Champion

S&D will return to playlists on the 15th - no details if it will be regular S&D / Hardcore S&D or what

The Clans stuff from previous games has *not* transferred over to Ghosts and someone (with 1 other random person) has already grabbed "Beex" so i think i've managed to get "Be Excellent" , however the iOS app keeps either bombing out or telling me the servers are offline for maintenance :-)

Double XP all weekend but even with that its slow going up the ranks - i think i'm about lv 17 at the moment and its a good 3 or 4 games to progress - highest i've seen for other people is 55 (although there were a lot of high 40's / low 50's on last night as well)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 13:01 
Sleepyhead

I'll be on tomorrow at some point.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 13:01 
Curiosity wrote:

Is it good? Or just more of the same?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 14:46 
Sleepyhead

nickachu wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Is it good? Or just more of the same?

Both

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 15:41 
Sleepyhead

The single player campaign is pretty, but very generic. Some fun set pieces so far, but that thing that stands out are the cinematic narration segments between missions, in which the visuals are completely amazing. Not just in terms of technical factor, but they're superbly artistic too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 23:00 
Bad Girl

Question: Y'know, the campaign has it got multiple route/side missions and the other bollocks from BLOPS2? No one seems to mention it in reviews.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 23:35 
Sleepyhead

Nope.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 0:00 
Bad Girl

So other than aping Zombies there's no redeemable new features over the last few CoD's? What's the point of CoD: Ghosts again?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:05 
8-Bit Champion

Saturnalian wrote:
So other than aping Zombies there's no redeemable new features over the last few CoD's? What's the point of CoD: Ghosts again?

New maps
New perks system
Customizable soldiers (head / armour / clothes)

Its Malibu Stacy with a new hat

A good game of Extinction tonight - we got right to the end and it then dropped the connection to the COD servers and we were dumped out :-(

For all the questions that were being asked when i didnt have a mic in

You should change up your pistols as soon as possible - the magnum is slightly better but the 3 round burst is pretty much the only gun you need once you have unlocked it and the gun after that is full auto
There are different classes - medic / engineer / tank / weapons expert - if for example you are the medic you can revieve people much quicker and you take less damage while you are doing that

*after* you go through each barrier there are only a few aliens which spawn and you can spend as long as you like until you place down the drill to start the first hive - so each time you should go around the map and find all the searchable items so you can upgrade your guns and get the various extra items (bouncing betties / trophy system / etc)

Yes the trophy system protects you against Scorpions air attacks

Each time you get past a hive or barrier you gain 1 skill point , if you complete the challege you also gain another one - you should be using these to quickly power up your guns and your abilities

Yes you start with a pistol and can pick up one other gun - if you get your weapons powered up to one less than the highest you can then pick up a 3rd weapon - if you power them up to the max you dual wield your pistols

If your in danger of going down there are two quick ways for escape (1) - use Feral mode which increases your speed and healing abilities (2) drop an IMF and hold back behind it for protection - if you are downed and have a later gun you can still take out many enemies with it so make sure your covering the person who is reviving you but crawl out of the acid pool you went down in !

If you 'die' then there is a dog tag marker at that point and you can be revived from there its just about 3 times longer than a regular revive.

Level 22 (which i've just hit) allows you to use the auto turrets which shoot without you standing behind them and are amazing (if you max them out you can place 2 at a time) - basically you should just place them down and then protect them - they can get the kills !

From where we got to tonight the next step would be the barrier for that area and then you trigger the nuke and have to run all the way back to the start avoiding the many meteors and rino's (Tanks) that spawn and try to take you out - you have something like 2 minutes to do that - if you have feral mode at about level 3 then your spring speed increases so worth picking and dropping those around the place during the final mad scramble back.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:20 
Excellent Member

This is going to sound weird but...

Does anyone else think the Multiplayer feels like a sort of arcade version of paintball?

I mean, compared to the gritty MW3 colour palette, some of the maps I played look a bit freshly (and brightly) painted... despite the half-demolished buildings and terrain.
It's as though a lunatic cell of post-apocolyptic Laurence Llewelyn-Bowens set about the place with the obligotory MDF panelling and trademark gaud!

Add to that the apparent use of a sound board stolen from ITV's 'Really Bad Daytime Gameshow' department and you're left with none of the tension and menace that playing COD online usually offers. Even the usually sweaty-palm inducing Search and Destroy Rescue felt flat.

I think this contributed to the nagging sense of alienation I felt while playing on Xbox Live tonight and so despite becoming increasingly more addicted to the COD franchise from COD3 through MW1, MW2 and MW3; I felt nothing but overwhelming disappointment in Ghosts' multiplayer offering.

I hope to be converted because playing COD on Xbox Live has become a Christmas seasonal tradition and the alternative is to actually socialise with my family! :'(

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:46 
8-Bit Champion

In case anyone else is interested - the class system on here is very similar to MW3 but with a chunk of the 'pick 10' stuff from BLOPS2 so what i've got right now for my main class :

Main weapon Honey Badger (comes with integrated silencer) - attachment red dot sight (I find the ability to have a long range kill works better than running with an SMG for speed)
Secondary weapon M9A1 with an extended muzzle (for range)
No Lethal / No Tactical grenades (for extra perks)

Perks
Ready up (weapon is ready faster after sprinting)
Slight of Hand (1/2 reload time)
Agility (increased movement speed)
Marathon (unlimited sprint)
On the go (reload while sprinting)
Resilience (no fall damage)
Gambler (one extra random perk)

Kill Streaks - Support Class : Ammo crate / Ballistic Vests / Oracle (makes enemies show up in orange wherever they are)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:23 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

@Jack, I tend to agree, but I am using the thermal scope so everything is black and white half the time. The colour palette is a bit more BlopsII, which is quite lush and green. The graphics are worse, they appear to have spent a long time making the guns look pretty, but nothing else, and who really looks at the guns?
There is really very little feedback on kills, I can't quite figure out what is missing, but there are a number of times I have killed someone and not realised.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:01 
Paws for thought

Bobbyaro wrote:
they appear to have spent a long time making the guns look pretty, but nothing else, and who really looks at the guns?

Americans.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:23 
Sleepyhead

Bobbyaro wrote:
@Jack, I tend to agree, but I am using the thermal scope so everything is black and white half the time. The colour palette is a bit more BlopsII, which is quite lush and green. The graphics are worse, they appear to have spent a long time making the guns look pretty, but nothing else, and who really looks at the guns?
There is really very little feedback on kills, I can't quite figure out what is missing, but there are a number of times I have killed someone and not realised.

Agree on the feedback. A few times I've hit someone, assumed the kill, and then they've popped back up and murdered me. Equally, there are times I think I've hit someone once, and it turns out they're dead. I have to check using the thing in the top right. Did that used to be at the bottom? I preferred it there.

I wonder if that works better on Normal Core.

Also, FFS, just give us some bloody hardcore objective games!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:28 
Sleepyhead

On the positive side, some of the maps are really cool, and I like the field orders method of getting supply drops. And the kill streaks seem more balanced in general from my first impressions.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:19 
8-Bit Champion

Curiosity wrote:
Agree on the feedback. A few times I've hit someone, assumed the kill, and then they've popped back up and murdered me. Equally, there are times I think I've hit someone once, and it turns out they're dead.

It does mean that even seeing the movement from across the map is worth firing out a few shots on the off chance for a lucky hit - especially with a silenced weapon - I've had many kills at range when in previous games without a sniper i wouldnt even have tried.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 18:00 
8-Bit Champion

StrikeZone map (in Ghosts) is very very similar to MW3's Dome

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 16:58 
8-Bit Champion

Digital Foundry face off

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... s-face-off

Quote:
In the here and now, the current-gen Call of Duty experience is best delivered on the 360, followed quite closely by the PS3 version, where stable multiplayer performance is backed up by a campaign that still delivers a good slice of 60fps action, even if frame-rates aren't quite as smooth as on Microsoft's platform. However, the soft-focused look doesn't represent the game in its best light in comparison to the sharper and cleaner 360 release, while the texture bugs are disappointing to see. The real letdown comes with the Wii U version, which sees owners of Nintendo's console once again left with a sub-par experience marred by frequent frame-rate issues and some pretty striking texture quality problems that makes it hard to recommend when both 360 and PS3 offer up smoother gameplay and more enjoyable online play as a result.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:41 
8-Bit Champion

Had a few long games of Extinction last night and I wonder if there is a 'director' in the same way the L4D handles games.

In the first game we did really well until we got to the very final hive when a Rino and a ton of Scorpions took us all down.

In the second we only got to the end of the town section , and at the very end of the run the game spawned *two* rino's at the same time which decimated us - i'd never seen it do that before and wondered if it was because as a team we'd been doing really well (getting most of the challenges)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:33 
8-Bit Champion

LOL 'easter egg' for Extinction

And apparently the console versions at least are full of hackers at the moment (I havent seen any but I have seen a large number of people who want to spend the whole game sitting in a corner waiting for someone to come into their line of view)

http://www.examiner.com/article/call-of ... core-modes

Quote:
‘Call of Duty: Ghosts’ publisher talks hacked lobbies and lack of hardcore mode

A spokesperson from Activision has commented on several issues surrounding the recently-launched multiplatform video game, “Call of Duty: Ghosts.” One of the problems with the first-person shooter is the appearance of hacked lobbies. A fan asked the company through the Activision Support Twitter page on Nov. 10 if his stats could be reset if he entered into matches that were plagued by hackers.

The spokesperson answered back by saying that the development team is currently looking into the issue. You can check out a batch of images from the latest “Call of Duty” title in the slideshow near the top of this article and the response below:

We are looking into this now - no update at this time but we appreciate your patience.

Another fan was curious if more hardcore modes would be added to “Call of Duty: Ghosts.” He also wanted to know if the Free Fall multiplayer map, which was a free pre-order bonus, would also be added into the rotation for players playing under hardcore settings. The Activision spokesperson hinted that updates to the playlists, such as adding Search and Destroy to the Core catalog on Nov. 15, are possible. You can find the comments from Twitter below:

We do update playlists, and we can forward your feedback along Rothwell! Core is getting SnD on the 15th, so it is possible. ;) ^NM

“Call of Duty: Ghosts” launched with the Kill Confirmed, Search and Rescue in addition to the Team Deathmatch hardcore variants. The first-person shooter is now available on the Nintendo Wii U, PC, Playstation 3 and Xbox 360. It is coming to the Playstation 4 and Xbox One as well later this month.

You can order the products from Amazon in the following links: “Call of Duty: Ghosts,” PS4 and Xbox One. A few Black Friday Countdown deals can also be found in the following link from Amazon.com: Countdown to Black Friday Deals Week.

So although S&D is due to return tomorrow its in CORE only , not HARDCORE :-(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:20 
Sleepyhead

Hacked? How so?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:36 
UltraMod

The internet is asploding because it turns out the PS4 SP has been running in 720p and there will be a day one patch to make it output in 1080p native (MP has always been in 1080p). I guess that's why the Digital Foundry comparisons didn't actually look all that different as they were using a review copy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:07 
8-Bit Champion

Curiosity wrote:
Hacked? How so?

10th prestige lobbys / unkillable players / aimbots etc

Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next