Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Big Brother 9
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:04 
Chinny chin chin

Dudley wrote:

Don't venture onto DS's BB section. Ever.

The entire DS forums are populated by cretins. The radio section is such a joke that people from the industry go on there under fake names to bait the anoraks for sport.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:13 

I think, LaceSensor, that when there have been good looking people in the past that have obviously had inflated egos, or have just been horrible, people turn against them. Looks will only take you so far, and that drops away pretty quickly when someone is an annoyance.

I didn't pick up on Mohammed implying he was a virgin, but he seemed nice. There was another guy who seemed quite nice, too, but I can't remember what he did or his name, or anything, just that his haircut made him look like he had a little mound on his head...

The dancer... I really don't know where they get these people. I mean, is he for real? Do you think that if it is an act he can keep it up for more than a few days? He's just so full on. So is the Thai woman, but she makes me smile, though maybe only for a few minutes, but she seems jolly rather than self-obsessed (which seems the case with the dancer), and I think that just makes her come across as a bit nicer. Also she reminds me of Nancy Lam.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:17 
Excellent Member

Mimi wrote:
Looks will only take you so far, and that drops away pretty quickly when someone is an annoyance.

Ultimate disprover: Twins last season.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:24 

LaceSensor wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Looks will only take you so far, and that drops away pretty quickly when someone is an annoyance.

I think that is different. I probably shouldn't have said annoyance, but any kind of dis-likeable. Where the twins are different is that they were essentially lovely people. They were just very nice girl - non-confrontal, happy, obliging, 'sweet', if that is the word. They were likable, which is different from going around saying that you are irresistible to women and that you are going to 'nail fanny'* or whatever he said.

*Has anyone ever actually heard anyone speak like this? I mean with mates, and things like that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:30 
Excellent Member

Mimi wrote:
LaceSensor wrote:
Mimi wrote:

I think that is different. I probably shouldn't have said annoyance, but any kind of dis-likeable. Where the twins are different is that they were essentially lovely people. They were just very nice girl - non-confrontal, happy, obliging, 'sweet', if that is the word. They were likable, which is different from going around saying that you are irresistible to women and that you are going to 'nail fanny'* or whatever he said.

*Has anyone ever actually heard anyone speak like this? I mean with mates, and things like that.

How on earth are 2 braindead embarassments to the British educational system in any way likeable? They were painfully annoying in the extreme to anyone not seduced by their cutesy retarded routine.

Non-confrontational probably because they wouldnt have the gumption to win even the most simple argument.

Happy, obliging and sweet? So just being a happy moron who will do anything asked of them is a criterion to win £70,000?

Jesus christ.

I am glad I dont live in a world filled with marshmallows and fluffy toys where inexcuses for human beings such as these two are rewarded for demonstrable lack of common sense and IQ....oh wait....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:32 

They didn't win the competition, LaceSensor.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

No-one said they did.

Mimi wrote:

Er, yeah. I talk like that, TBH, as do a large number of men my age (in my experience).

Craster goes red and giggles every time we mention something about sex, though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:38 
Excellent Member

But they were planning to be social workers. God help the kids.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:40 

Would you not feel embarrassed, though, saying things like you would 'nail some pussy', knowing full well that you were almost certainly not going to as you are a married man in his late twenties or thirties, with a child and would instead just be returning home to play Rock Band. I've never ever known anyone who talks like this, and (and I don't mean this in any way in relation to you, Grim..., maybe you just have different friends) I'd be embarassed if people that I knew did say things like this because I think they'd just sound silly and were perhaps pretending to be something that they were not.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:41 
Excellent Member

Mimi wrote:
They didn't win the competition, LaceSensor.

Granted I couldnt genuinely remember if they did or not, now you mention it I remember an equally braindead individual did.

Still, they were in the final, so obviously within the publics criteria to win £70,000
so my points stand true.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:42 
Comfortably Dumb

Mimi wrote:
Would you not feel embarrassed, though, saying things like you would 'nail some pussy', knowing full well that you were almost certainly not going to as you are a married man in his late twenties or thirties, with a child and would instead just be returning home to play Rock Band. I've never ever known anyone who talks like this, and (and I don't mean this in any way in relation to you, Grim..., maybe you just have different friends) I'd be embarassed if people that I knew did say things like this because I think they'd just sound silly and were perhaps pretending to be something that they were not.

My brother and his mates talk like that most of the time, toning it down to an extent depending on the company they're in.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:43 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mimi wrote:
Would you not feel embarrassed, though, saying things like you would 'nail some pussy', knowing full well that you were almost certainly not going to as you are a married man in his late twenties or thirties, with a child and would instead just be returning home to play Rock Band.

Married people still have sex! And I could still say it in relation to someone else (as in "you are going to...").
I wouldn't say 'nail some pussy', though - I'm more likely to say 'fuck some bitches' or something equally pleasant.
As people who came to the BBBC drinks will confirm, I tend to swear a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:43 
Excellent Member

Mimi wrote:

Everyone can dream.

People say shit like that all the time, its called having a dick.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:44 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
No-one said they did.

Mimi wrote:

Er, yeah. I talk like that, TBH, as do a large number of men my age (in my experience).

Craster goes red and giggles every time we mention something about sex, though.

cheers Grim... you have been my guardian angel on this thread.
I did indeed never say the twins did win, just they were in the running and befitting the criteria to win it based on public votes.

and yeah.... people do talk like that. of course they do.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:45 

I guess people just went with the characters that seemed the nicest. With so many people being put on teh show who were just horrible, selfish and lazy, the twins and the Brian, though perhaps not blessed with the greatest intelligence (though I think the twins were far more canny than they let on), they were always kind to everyone, and caring. I think that being kind, caring and understanding are as good a reason as any to win a gameshow such as that. Better than giving it to the person with the biggest ego, or the person who upset most people.

:)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:46 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I think the twins were quite smart too.
Brian though - wow.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:47 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

LaceSensor wrote:

Man the fuck up!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:48 
Excellent Member

Mimi wrote:
I guess people just went with the characters that seemed the nicest. With so many people being put on teh show who were just horrible, selfish and lazy, the twins and the Brian, though perhaps not blessed with the greatest intelligence (though I think the twins were far more canny than they let on), they were always kind to everyone, and caring. I think that being kind, caring and understanding are as good a reason as any to win a gameshow such as that. Better than giving it to the person with the biggest ego, or the person who upset most people.

I prefer not to celebrate stupidity.
The only thing worse than stupidity is actually having intelligence but pretending not to do so. If what you say is true, in essence they are fakers too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:49 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It should be pointed out that I speak differently depending on my company. If you were there, Meems (or anyone else visibly upset with the things I said) I would become more polite straight away.
I'm not rude, I'm just, I dunno, 'rough'.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:50 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
LaceSensor wrote:

Man the fuck up!

Aye but due to nature of the person I'm arguing with, I'm finding it hard.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:51 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

LaceSensor wrote:
The only thing worse than stupidity is actually having intelligence but pretending not to do so. If what you say is true, in essence they are fakers too.

Hmm... I'm not sure they were deliberately playing dumb - I think they were very immature and giggly, and that masked the fact that they did seem to have a thoughtful, analytical brain (especially for social situations) in their heads.

Jade Goodey would be a better example of "idiot done good".

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:52 

Grim... wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Would you not feel embarrassed, though, saying things like you would 'nail some pussy', knowing full well that you were almost certainly not going to as you are a married man in his late twenties or thirties, with a child and would instead just be returning home to play Rock Band.

Married people still have sex! And I could still say it in relation to someone else (as in "you are going to...").
I wouldn't say 'nail some pussy', though - I'm more likely to say 'fuck some bitches' or something equally pleasant.
As people who came to the BBBC drinks will confirm, I tend to swear a lot.

I do not believe that you still have sex Grim... (actually, I never said that, rather that I found it hard to imagine that anyone would speak in that way with their friends without embarassment). I wouldn't have considered that you might have said it about your wife, I would have thought that was slightly more on the private side. I think there is a big difference between saying that you enjoy sex with your wife and discussing that, and just saying what sounds like a load of falsely macho posturing. Also, I thought you were not yet thirty, but wasn't sure, which is why I put both, I hope I didn't offend. You only look about 22.

Gogmagog

LaceSensor wrote:
Mimi wrote:

BELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLMMMMMMM-
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Last edited by Grim... on Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:55, edited 3 times in total.
Formatting fix

Excellent Member

There are people like that, and they do, oddly succeed at pulling the type of vacuous bint who is looking for some validation from a guy who will buy them shoes.

BB is a freak show, granted. But it is uncomfortably close to the reality of many, many people. The producers are the sort of clever evil that takes the breath away - they manipulate the crowd/audience by pretending to manipulate the idiots inside. BB doesn't just show contempt for its participants, but contempt for its audience.

But that is the nature of things these days.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:54 
Gogmagog

"The kind of girls that stop fucking you when you stop buying them things"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:54 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Also, thinking about it further - the general intelligence of people on this board seems (to me, at least) to be above the 'average' I'd expect to find. There aren't really any 'stupid' people on here, especially as far as schooling or debate goes (although I'd be willing to bet I'm in the bottom ten for exam results). Maybe to some people the twins seemed 'fun' rather than 'piss irritating'.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:55 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mimi wrote:
I do not believe that you still have sex Grim...

:(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:56 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Also, thinking about it further - the general intelligence of people on this board seems (to me, at least) to be above the 'average' I'd expect to find. There aren't really any 'stupid' people on here, especially as far as schooling or debate goes (although I'd be willing to bet I'm in the bottom ten for exam results). Maybe to some people the twins seemed 'fun' rather than 'piss irritating'.

To me the twins looked like fun if you could add in three props:

two gags and a length of rope.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:58 
Comfortably Dumb

Grim... wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Maybe it's only because it breaks her heart to think of you with another ;)

SupaMod
Est. 1978

devilman wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Oh yeah, maybe! That makes me happier :)

Comfortably Dumb

LaceSensor wrote:
Grim... wrote:

To me the twins looked like fun if you could add in three props:

two gags and a length of rope.

Tsk. They are Stoke's finest exports since er, Anthea Turner.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:59 
Gogmagog

devilman wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Maybe it's only because it breaks her heart to think of you with another jar of chloroform, hessian bag and a twinkle in his eye

FTFY

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

What about Robbie Williams?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:00 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
Also, thinking about it further - the general intelligence of people on this board seems (to me, at least) to be above the 'average' I'd expect to find. There aren't really any 'stupid' people on here, especially as far as schooling or debate goes (although I'd be willing to bet I'm in the bottom ten for exam results).

I agree.

Vote Grim...

Grim... wrote:
LaceSensor wrote:

Hmm... I'm not sure they were deliberately playing dumb - I think they were very immature and giggly, and that masked the fact that they did seem to have a thoughtful, analytical brain (especially for social situations) in their heads.

Jade Goodey would be a better example of "idiot done good".

Yes, perhaps you are right, Grim... But I do think that perhaps they didn't show the full extant of their intelligence becaue they were playing a game - they were there to play the game and maybe they just acted teh part extraordinarily well. i do not like to see an intelligent person act dim, either, but I think that if they are on a gameshow that relies on personality and they think that altering their personality might win (and actually come so close to succeeding) then I think that is an exception, and perhaps shows the greatest form of intelligence that was there all series.

myself, I do not think that they came across as stupid - they just liked being nice, I don't think that the two are mutually exclusive.

Also, I am not arguing with you, Lacesensor, just disagreeing with certain elements of your point of view. Obviously we both see it very differently, but I do appreciate what you are saying and a couple of your points I can understand and perhaps agree with. I would just find it hard to grasp that people would like a chauvenistic moron just because he was (but, actually, isn't) good looking. I guess I just hope that people would look for more redeeming qualities. I have no memory for these kinds of things, but I do not think that any of the recent winners have been at all good looking (Brian, the lad with Tourettes) so I think that persoanlity and general niceness often does prove to be the greater quality. I'd hope this was the case, anyway.

Comfortably Dumb

Grim... wrote:

Oh yeah, there's him I suppose. Only Lemmy is truly noteworthy though. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:02 

devilman wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Mimi wrote:

This is the truth. I dared not speak it until now :(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:02 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mimi wrote:
I would just find it hard to grasp that people would like a chauvenistic moron just because he was (but, actually, isn't) good looking.

You don't think? I think he's very attractive.
Who would you describe as good looking, then?

Here he is, for people that didn't watch.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:04 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
Mimi wrote:
I would just find it hard to grasp that people would like a chauvenistic moron just because he was (but, actually, isn't) good looking.

You don't think? I think he's very attractive.
Who would you describe as good looking, then?

Here he is, for people that didn't watch.

If she doesn't say "MaliA" i am going to unsubscribe.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:05 
Excellent Member

Mimi wrote:

I would just find it hard to grasp that people would like a chauvenistic moron just because he was (but, actually, isn't) good looking. I guess I just hope that people would look for more redeeming qualities. .

Seeing as you havent already, its time to start grasping, as that concept is alive and well. Are you really that naive?! - note, genuine question, not trying to offend you.

You can hope all you like that people arent that shallow but unfortunately they are, and therein lies the substance of my original posts; basically a commentary on how futile the show is, and my annoyance at the celebration of vacuous, unintelligent wankers and their glorification based on these traits by the dumb ass public.

and now, to teh chinese takeaway!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:15 
Excellent Member

devilman wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Oh yeah, there's him I suppose. Only Lemmy is truly noteworthy though. :)

Slash is on the phone. He wants a word.

And that word is "ROCK!"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:16 

LaceSensor wrote:

Seeing as you havent already, its time to start grasping, as that concept is alive and well. Are you really that naive?! - note, genuine question, not trying to offend you.

:( You already said that I must be either a liar or deluded, now naive.

Well, maybe I like to think better of people, if this makes me deluded or naive then so be it. I'm no liar though.

As for what I think of myself, I do not think I am any of these things. I think that all people are generally good, and they admire a good nature in other people - I think we are drawn to it and appreciate it as a quality. I appreciate intelligence and a good nature, but I have known arrogant, nasty, self important intelligent people, just as I have known people that (though certainly not having been 'stupid') have been less intelligent bit nice, generous good natured and fun. I'd rather go out and spend time with the nice person, that's for sure. Looks, to me, don't come into it in either case. I am attracted to my other half because of the way he looks, but that was never a criterion of our friendship before our relationship. I liked his intelligence and friendliness, which are the things I like in all of my friends.

You, by watching and commenting on this show are a member of the 'dumbass public'. I do not think that the public are stupid. We are all the public.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 13:44 
Excellent Member

Mimi wrote:
LaceSensor wrote:

:( You already said that I must be either a liar or deluded, now naive.

Well, maybe I like to think better of people, if this makes me deluded or naive then so be it. I'm no liar though.

As for what I think of myself, I do not think I am any of these things. I think that all people are generally good, and they admire a good nature in other people - I think we are drawn to it and appreciate it as a quality. I appreciate intelligence and a good nature, but I have known arrogant, nasty, self important intelligent people, just as I have known people that (though certainly not having been 'stupid') have been less intelligent bit nice, generous good natured and fun. I'd rather go out and spend time with the nice person, that's for sure. Looks, to me, don't come into it in either case. I am attracted to my other half because of the way he looks, but that was never a criterion of our friendship before our relationship. I liked his intelligence and friendliness, which are the things I like in all of my friends.

You, by watching and commenting on this show are a member of the 'dumbass public'. I do not think that the public are stupid. We are all the public.

Big Sigh.

I only stated those things if you qualified them, I didnt say you were a liar directly, or indeed naive or deluded. If you want to misinterpret me as slagging you off personally then thats fine, but thats not what I wrote at all. I gave a scenario in which if you expressed viewpoint X, you would embody personal trait Y - the fact you didnt negates any labelling you think I may have placed on you. Dont be so quick to rush to your own defence when I didnt even attack you. Besides, the Naive comment was a genuine question. I was looking for you to answer something like "yes I genuinely dont beleive people support chauvernistic morons just because they are hot". It was a genuine question. Why not reply to it rather than just biting back at me "calling you naive", when I didnt?

I admire your 'rose tinted' view of the world, I really do. I wish what you say was true and could be beleived, that all people are generally good - and perhaps this is going outside the scope of just Big Brother into philosophies on the world as a whole - but frankly I dont believe that is true at all.

Wrt the dumbass public comment, again you have misinterpreted my meaning - by that I mean people who get extremely into the show to the point of supporting (i.e. by paying to vote for) the contestants. I do not do that. I even said at the start of anythnig I wrote here that I dont even like Big Brother. The dumb ass public I described are those which 'celebrate vacuous, unintelligent wankers and their glorifiy them based on such traits'...I do not, therefore I am not.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 13:48 
lazy eye patch

What is it about fridays, eh?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 13:56 
Excellent Member

CUS wrote:
What is it about fridays, eh?

Bored at work.
Pointless discussion about BB.
Too tempting to keep replying.

Calling it a day now though, I didnt intend to offend but it seems that no matter how I word stuff I leave big spaces between the lines to be read into, and offence to be taken. So I'll bow out. Im happy to agree to disagree, and whilst I have nothing against Mimi and infact genuinely admire hers and other peoples like her brilliant outlook on life and people in general, im so jaded and cynical it actually cuts quite a bit and I can be quite bile filled with it. So...yeah. COD4 tonight anyone?!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 14:11 

I think maybe life would be nicer if you were not so jaded and cynical. The same is true for everyone. not that many people are nasty to me but the ones that are, such as my mother, I walk away from. I try not to judge people on things other than their actions and their words, but I'd hope most people were the same, I never thought otherwise, and I still don't.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 14:22 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mimi wrote:
I try not to judge people on things other than their actions and their words, but I'd hope most people were the same, I never thought otherwise, and I still don't.

Even with today's "celebrity" culture?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 14:30 
Excellent Member

I try to believe like Mimi. I hate celebrity culture. I just live in hope that one day people come to their senses. I do think that most people are nice, but more people than I initially assumed are not. Hmm. Anyway, I try to redress the balance by being incredibly excellent to everyone, and just try and ignore the ones I want to throttle.

Hugs to Mimi.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 14:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

nervouspete wrote:
Anyway, I try to redress the balance by being incredibly excellent to everyone[...]Hugs to Mimi.

Failed there, then?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 14:33 
Excellent Member

Mimi wrote:
I think maybe life would be nicer if you were not so jaded and cynical. The same is true for everyone.

Yeah as I already alluded to this would be the ideal thing, and even more ideal if everyone was the same, however they arent, and we'd just be living a lie. If I could believe it to be true, I would, but I cant, so I dont. I cant pretend like that.

Tis a true shame.

"I know I believe in nothing, but it is my nothing". R. Edwards.

Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next