Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 563 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dark Souls 2
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:14 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Saturnalian wrote:
Edit: Warning - may require you to spin your face upside down.

You know there are buttons to fix that, right?

I have done pressed them for you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 13:01 
Bad Girl

My thoughts on the bosses then...

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
The Last Giant about 5 deaths. Co-oped him in the end.
The Pursuer - 0 deaths as I Co-oped him.
Dragonrider: 0 deaths.
Old Dragonslayer: 3 deaths.
Flexile Sentry about 5 deaths. Co-oped him an' all.
Ruin Sentinels about 10 deaths. Co-oped them.
The Lost Sinner 2 deaths. Co-oped him.
Belfry Gargoyles 0 deaths. Waded in and kicked ass, baby.
Skeleton Lords 1 death.
Executioner's Chariot 0 deaths. Co-oped him.
Covetous Demon couple of deaths. Easy in the end.
Mytha, the Baneful Queen: 0 deaths. I had the good fortune to light the windmill when a message told me to.
Smelter Demon about 7 deaths. Co-oped him. Still lost my buddies.
Old Iron King about 10 deaths. Co-oped him.
Scorpioness Najka 1 death when I walked in and she zapped me. Second time, a few problems but I melee'd her to the death.
Royal Rat Authority about 5 deaths.
Prowling Magus & Congregation: 0 deaths (or was it 1). Walked in, hit the fire button and fire did the rest.
The Duke's Dear Freja 1 death from the death ray.
Royal Rat Vanguard about 15 deaths just trying to burn him in four collumns of fire. Worked in the end.
The Rotten about 5 deaths.
Dragonriders 0 deaths. Co-oped them.
Looking Glass Knight about 3 deaths.
Velstadt 0 deaths. He was very slow and easy to avoid.
Vendrick: I CANNOT KILL HIM. I CANNOT KILL HIM. I CANNOT KILL HIM. About 20 deaths so far, if not more. I've died so many times that my route to his door is unimpeded by any of the knights.
Darklurker: I haven't seen him yet.
Demon of Song 0 deaths.
Guardian Dragon 0 deaths.
Ancient Dragon: Not attempted yet.
Giant Lord 2 deaths. Well, deaths in that area just standing in the wrong place and getting hit by balls of flame. He was easy though.
Throne Defender & Throne Watcher about 5 deaths. Co-oped them too.
Nashandra 0 deaths. Threw Giant lightning in her face and she fell over.

Turns out I'd done a fair few co-op. But, to be honest, the bosses have never ever been my favourite part of the Souls games - to be honest they're my least favourite part of all. The levels, the enemies, the lore, the weapons and the atmosphere all this creates is the main focus for my enjoyment. I like ultra hard levels not ultra hard bosses. I could quite happily spend time getting my ass kicked up and down, say, the Shrine of Amana's level than spend vast quantities of time dying in a boss fight.

Mind you, ut's very strange that some that even the ones I tackled on my own caused you a problem caused me no problem at all and visa versa.

Mr Dave wrote:
Found out about the coffin yet?

Yup! I did not figure that out at all.

Also, it turns out that my character has been a woman since the last time I'd jumped in the thing but I hadn't noticed. Tch.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 13:48 
Paws for thought

Yeah, I got the same message in the windmill, but the magic attacks left me of the back foot.

Helped about 10 people in that fight, those who hadn't prepared all died, those that had it was easy. And one time I appeared in the floor.

I always liked the boss fights, but they did feel a little toothless compared to, say, all the dlc bosses. Generally a there was an obvious tactic which worked without having to think about it, albeit with occasional problems such as running out of shield or stamina as happened with veld start.

I noticed the coffin effect (see my confusion on page 9) but it was such a time afterwards that I didn't link the two, I just thought it was a bug.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 14:54 
Bad Girl

Mr Dave wrote:
Yeah, I got the same message in the windmill, but the magic attacks left me of the back foot.

Helped about 10 people in that fight, those who hadn't prepared all died, those that had it was easy. And one time I appeared in the floor.

I helped someone out after I had already killed the boss and I was just stunned at the pool of poison they were fighting in. It was quite the shock to the system. They died...

Mr Dave wrote:
I always liked the boss fights, but they did feel a little toothless compared to, say, all the dlc bosses. Generally a there was an obvious tactic which worked without having to think about it, albeit with occasional problems such as running out of shield or stamina as happened with veld start.

I've enjoyed some of the boss fights over the three games and some of my most memorable battles were against the bosses (then again some of the worse times were against the bosses), but there were too many boss fights in DS2 for my liking and a lack of variation. I'm sure that you could point to any of the bosses in DS2 and point to a boss in DS1 that it was like. The exceptions were some of the best though - Frogman, Undead Chariot for example.

I'm not sure whether the problem was that there was an "obvious tactic" or that they were generally easier than before and the magic/weapons were overpowered. Magic in particular made too many (of the many) bosses a piece of piss.

Mr Dave wrote:
I noticed the coffin effect (see my confusion on page 9) but it was such a time afterwards that I didn't link the two, I just thought it was a bug.

So you did! I only got my character naked once though - when I ran into the orange pit in Shrine of Amana. And I still didn't notice...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 15:09 
Paws for thought

it was only.near tje end of the game when I started using magic chaos storm or Indeed a powerful weapon. (sun sword has excellent STR/DEX scaling and a handy moveset, but nothing like the damage output or poise damage of a great sword) which meant I wasnt at all overpowered.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 15:43 
Bad Girl

I only really felt entirely happy with the combat once I'd got comfortable with my halbard again. I missed that pointy and choppy monster. I think I need to go back to DS1 and see what I think of the boss fights by way of comparison.

Ooh, ooh, by the way (you probably know) but apparently if you start up in off-line mode then if you go to the oblisk at the beginning near the sad knight guy it'll tell you how times you've died. I must remember to have a look later.

I think I accumulated a vast amount of deaths in the Undead Crypt (and not just the king) dealing with that room with the fecking bells that make the ghost constantly reappear. I blame myself though for wanting to know what was in every corner of the game.

There's a cracking bit of theatre where you light a special torch just below the second bonfire. I found it during a clumsy moment running to fight the king where I rolled off the edge onto the platform below. It felt all the better because I had 83,000 souls sitting outside the kings fog gate.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 21:53 
Bad Girl

Possibly fake, possibly real thing.

Quote:
Zetta_SIow posted...
The forest of mist is apparently lead by a invisible dual-washing pole gentleman. And killing him disperses the mist in the woods.

How did I not know this for several play-through's.

Troll or for srs?

For real. Kill every mist soldier in the woods, and go around hitting every tree that 'roars' in that area. He'll spawn, only once though. The mist will poof, and the soldiers will be visible.

Sounds totally fake right? Legit.Q

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 21:58 
Bad Girl

Also, I didn't realise that if you hold a torch you can see the ghosts shadows.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 17:23 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

I have a digital copy pre-ordered so this should not affect me but for anyone who ordered the PC physical edition

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dark-s ... 0-6419011/

Quote:
Dark Souls 2 on PC gets a one-week delay in the UK, but will it affect the Steam release?

UK digital version of Dark Souls II still on track to launch next week alongside other territories.

The disc-based PC version of Dark Souls II, which was due to launch in the UK on April 25 alongside the rest of the world, has slipped a week to May 2, Bandai Namco/Namco Bandai has confirmed.

The delay will only apply to the physical release of the game in the UK, the publisher has said. The publisher has said that other territories, and the UK digital release, will still be released on April 25. More on that in a bit, though.

It's all down to a manufacturing issue with the packaging, apparently. A manufacturing issue that, presumably, has not affected the rest of the world. Perhaps they ran out of teabags at the factory where they print the cases in the UK and everyone there went on strike, which would be understandable.

"This is only affecting the UK on the boxed release of the game," confirmed a Bandai Namco representative to trade site MCV. "It will be delayed unfortunately and we apologise to UK customers. This is due to a manufacturing issue with packaging."

"To confirm this will only affect the UK boxed launch," adds Bandai Namco. But has Bandai Namco/Namco Bandai got it wrong? Chris Cook from retailer GameKeysNow Tweeted that "we've just had it confirmed from source it will affect Steam release too."

Bandai Namco is yet to respond to GameSpot, but we'll update this story when we hear more.

The frustration here is that, as a Steamworks title, many PC gamers will just input the game's serial key into Steam and just download the game anyway. Only now they'll be doing it (or not doing it, perhaps) a week later than those who purchase digitally. But, hey, at least they can get the Black Armour edition and its fancy steelbook case.

Dark Souls II launched on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in March, but the PC version looks like it'll be the best version of the game.

http://www.videogamer.com/pc/dark_souls_2/news/dark_souls_2_physical_release_delayed_on_pc.html

Quote:
Dark Souls 2 physical release delayed on PC

UPDATE: Bandai Namco has confirmed to MCV that the physical release of Dark Souls 2 has been pushed back to May 2, but the digital version remains on track for April 25.

"This is only affecting the UK on the boxed release of the game," Namco told the site. "It will be delayed unfortunately and we apologise to UK customers. This is due to a manufacturing issue with packaging. To confirm this will only affect the UK boxed launch."

Quote:
ORIGINAL REPORT: The PC release of Dark Souls 2 has suffered a one week delay, according to various online retailers.

GameKeysNow.com, which appears to be affiliated with PlayStation Plus informant GamePointsNow, states that it has heard from its "official UK distribution that Dark Souls 2 has been delayed by a week until May 2nd 2014". The site adds that "no reason has been given for the delay as yet".

Amazon UK's pre-order customers have also reportedly been told of the game's delay, receiving emails notifying them of the new May 2 date. The date has also been amended to May 2 by ShopTo.

Bandai Namco has yet to announce a delay for the PC launch, with the game still officially on track for release next Friday, April 25.

The staff behind Bandai Namco's twitter channel don't appear to have been informed of any delay either, tweeting this afternoon that they are "currently looking into [reports of the game's delay] and will let everyone know what's happening".

VideoGamer.com has contacted Bandai Namco for comment.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:54 
Paws for thought

NG+ completed.
Certainly keeps you guessing throughout. The moment you aren't cautious, it'll smack you with something that didn't used to be there or a new unexpected behaviour and YOU DIED.
NG++ next. Wonder if that's going to add even more.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:14 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

How many +s are there?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:01 
Paws for thought

Grim... wrote:
How many +s are there?

I know of no limit, hence why I'm doubtful there'll be much new stuff rather than just harder enemies.

The thing being that by the end of NG, and certainly by NG+, levelling rewards are very, very small. So by NG++++++++ you'd better be Damn good as you're going to be massively underpowered in each fight.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:57 
I forgot about this - how vain

Still loving this. But didn't want to play off line while my internet was down. Glad to be back at it.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:28 
Paws for thought

Where are you up to?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:41 

Done the following:

Fallen Giants.
Heides Tower
The Lost Bastille (found the belfrey, joined - but don't quite get it yet).
Huntsmans Copse
Undead Purgatory - just killed a bunch on skeletons that were called 'the Skeleton Lord'

Rocking a large club +4. It's wrecking shit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:44 
8-Bit Champion

Mr Dave wrote:
Where are you up to?

Staring at the calender on the CDKeys page that says 2 days to go

:(

Attachment:
2Untitled.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:57 
Paws for thought

Dr Lave wrote:
Done the following:

Fallen Giants.
Heides Tower
The Lost Bastille (found the belfrey, joined - but don't quite get it yet).
Huntsmans Copse
Undead Purgatory - just killed a bunch on skeletons that were called 'the Skeleton Lord'

Rocking a large club +4. It's wrecking shit.

Re: covenants

Most covenants give you a ring.

Some covenants only really have an effect if you wear said ring.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:35 

Ah yeah, I've been summoned a few times for that. Very curious with the actual story of whats going on.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 14:43 
8-Bit Champion

I have my steam key !!!

can get pre-loading started tonight and will finally die tomorrow :-)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 16:48 
Paws for thought

I look forward to hearing about your first death.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:26 
8-Bit Champion

Mr Dave wrote:
I look forward to hearing about your first death.

Tutorial section the dash jump - went back in the room to try it and it was fine - tried to jump over the gap and went a little to the side and fell off the edge - SPLAT - Welcome to Dark Souls II

Actually at the very start before you've even selected your characters I walked into a little clearing and all the little monsters are in the grass , and i was worried they were going to attack - then i started down one of the side areas and could see a big monster ahead so went back and into the house (which gave me the select character stuff) - I was thinking of re-starting and walking down to the monster to see if it would attack before i've even selected a class or any other info

I did also die a number of times at the hands of the monsters by the lake that are near that casket (first time i back stab the monster and it turns - grabs me and bites my head off - second time i swipe and back step - swip again and move slightly to the side and the monster behind me that i had no idea was there grabs me and bites my head off :-)

It looks lovely on the PC

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/615 ... 26DF2B864/

Below images are not mine but taken from the PC thread on Neogaf

http://i.imgur.com/NRRgmRZ.jpg

http://abload.de/img/2014-04-24_000025bjw3.jpg

http://abload.de/img/darksoulsii2014-04-25fjzmx.png

http://i.imgur.com/2fbcCsc.jpg

http://i.minus.com/iiHmezQVjy6pT.png

http://i.minus.com/isEshvNmMyF8Y.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6DFkZIG.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/nyR9vxF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fxoNlcA.jpg

http://i.minus.com/iclA8qp37tnVo.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:49 
Paws for thought

Yeah, a good proportion of my deaths have come from falling - indeed all 3 of my deaths in NG++ have come from falling through failed jumps. Although it's been very close in combat many times.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 19:09 
Paws for thought

1x Platinum trophy obtained.

Summary: Not as good as Dark Souls. Probably not as good as Demon Souls. But stil better than most other things out there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 15:34 
8-Bit Champion

From has been bought

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/04/28/dark ... are-bought

Quote:
Dark Souls Developer FROM Software Has Been Bought

Gamasutra reports that the enigmatic FROM Software, famed for Demon's and Dark Souls as well as Armored Core and Tenchu, has been bought by Japanese corporation Kadokawa, which now owns an 80% stake in the developer.

Tokyo-based Kodokawa Corp has film, magazine and manga arms as well as games, and FROM will now work with Kadokawa Games on both development and marketing. Kadokawa has previously published Lollipop Chainsaw and Killer is Dead from Grasshopper Studios in Japan. It is unlikely that this will affect FROM's existing overseas publishing partnership with Namco Bandai Games - which, as far as I'm aware, owns the Dark Souls IP. We've reached out for comment.

The Japanese press release does suggest that Kadokawa is keen to make a dent in new overseas markets, where FROM's influence may well be useful.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 21:44 
8-Bit Champion

DLC announced

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/06/04/dark ... c-episodes

Quote:
UPDATE: Namco Bandai has provided further info and a European release date:

"Crown of the Sunken King, the first chapter in this DLC trilogy, will be available in Europe and Australasia on July, 22, 2014 for PC and Xbox/July 23 for PlayStation 3, followed with the DLC launches of Crown of the Old Iron King on August 26, 2014 for PC and Xbox/ August 27 for PlayStation 3 and Crown of the Ivory Kingon September 23, 2014 for PC and Xbox/ September 24 for PlayStation 3. A Season Pass program is also available for the entire The Lost Crowns trilogy via Steam for PC and PlayStation Network from today."

It's set in a different, sunken world within Dark Souls 2's Drangleic.

ORIGINAL STORY: Just published on developer From Software's YouTube channel, here's a new trailer for Dark Souls II's three DLC episodes, to be released later this year for PS3, 360, and PC.

No word on release dates just yet, but the full pack is called "The Lost Crowns," and Japanese Dark Souls II players will get episodes in July, August, and September.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 22:20 
Bad Girl

WANT THIS NOW!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 20:37 
Bad Girl

22 July for first DLC! Bloody hell that's close.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:12 
Bad Girl

Today?

Now?

People near a Playstation 3 should confirm!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:39 
Bad Girl

I can't see the DLC on the mobile store. Mus'n't be oot. Boo-hiss.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 13:05 
Bad Girl

Xboxers now.

PS3 tomoz. https://mobile.twitter.com/BandaiNamcoU ... 8258606080

Boo-Hiss!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 13:33 
Paws for thought

Of course, if you can't kill Vendrick, I'm not sure there's much point...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 15:55 
Bad Girl

Shitting hell, I totally forgot that I'd never gone back and done him over. If I could co-op him I'd have been fine but I'm too unlucky/clumsy during that fight.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:18 
Bad Girl

Still can't see the DLC on the store... SADFACE.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:55 
Bad Girl

The Dark Souls 2 subreddit is awash with DLC chatter. WHY ISNT IT ON PSN YET!?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 17:23 
Bad Girl

It's on facking Steam. HNNNGH.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 17:35 
Bad Girl

We may be in the money!

https://twitter.com/bandainamcouk/statu ... 0343947265

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 21:05 
Bad Girl

We ARE in the money! Installing now. Man, I'm happy.

That being said, I watched all of this fella's talk about how disappointing Dark Souls 2 and, unfortunately, there's little to disagree about.

The bit about the sconces being a remnant of a mechanic that was ultimately dropped last minute rings especially true. Namely, cause I played the Jap demo which had part of an area in the final game that was entirely dark (ho-ho) and you had to use your fire stick. For fact fans, it was the pointless area in the Valley of the Giants that leads to a dead end and a bonfire. 'Twas always an odd bit to leave in.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 21:57 
Paws for thought

It's hard to take anyone seriously who chooses to have that haircut.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 22:09 
Bad Girl

He's got a nice inflection. He certainly doesn't make me want to chew my face off like some internet gaming video guys.

Also: DLC: Very: Nice. So far.

Even "I" had to throw down a "gorgeous view" down when I entered.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 22:24 
Paws for thought

I agree with everything you've said about said video. But still... that hair.

(I also think that the torchy bits were made irrelevant due to the light mechanic probably not being all that much fun. Almost certainly not enough to warrant more than the gutter using it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 23:33 
Bad Girl

The DLC is very good by the way (if you're not on it already). It's gone all Aztec.

I had a great "What the fuck" moment that is really well done. It's a simple trick (and even easier to resolve) but that first moment when you get attacked is brilliant.

Really enjoyed it thus far despite it being a entirely disparate 'level' again.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:32 
Paws for thought

Not yet.

How much does it cost?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:37 
Bad Girl

£7.99 for just this one or £19.99 for the season pass (saving you about £4).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 13:59 
Bad Girl

Done.

And it's good. Very good, in fact. I reckon this is some of the level design since, erm, Blight Town. Ok, so everyone hates Blight Town because of the drop in frame rate but in terms of design I reckon it was awesome. The width of the level and the multiple levels was ambitious (too ambitious given the frame rate) - you start climbing the maze of a shanty town amongst the roots before you find yourself climbing hundreds of feet below to the floor. Then you traverse the entirety of the floor up to what appears to be the edge of a giant castle wall. It's fucking brilliant.

This is equally good. You start at the cave entrance to a giant underground cavern that houses two mammoth Aztec pyramid structures. You look down and see the floor of the cavern and notice giant dinosaurs roaming along and you know you're going in both structures and coming out at the bottom to face those mammoths. That was 7 hours ago. I've roamed every inch of the cavern and every square foot of the looping pyramids things. It's a stunning piece of art, if you ask me. It had righted a couple of wrongs in the level design of DS2 and I was kinda hoping that it might somehow lead you to the pirate ship area to extend the map. Shame it didn't but it's, apparently, a self contained level and set in the future/past and probably has something to do with the "endless cycle" of the story.

There's all new enemies, a great bit of initial cuntery courtesy of a poison monster, a great section with ghosts, and, fuck me, more dragons. Mind you, having killed a couple of dragons in the series (2 or 3 big uns, was it) I'm a bit bored of dragons. The attacks are about the same really ain't they?

You might go through it quicker than 7 hours - I'm a bit shit apparently - but damn, it was great fun.

A great little bit of DLC.

Apparently you get another 'memory' too after it's complete after Vendrik so I suppose I better go and finish him off then. HNNNGH!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 17:14 
Bad Girl

VENDRICK DEAD! Pow! In your face. Plus having the memory behind him actually made it seem worth it rather than nothing happening after he dies.

Must have taken me well over 30 attempts to kill him in total. What a git.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 18:02 
Paws for thought

You do get something after vendrick. But you do have to find it, and be human.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 18:50 
Bad Girl

I know, I'm just saying it might have seemed less of a victory without the instant pay off of the memory.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 22:24 
Bad Girl

I can't PvP to save my life.

I thought I'd got a winning combo in this pretty quick sword that does a fair amount of damage PLUS shoots laser shit out the end. That's bound to fuck some people up, right?

Me: 0 Everyone else: 5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:42 
Bad Girl

I got 3 wins last night to 14 losses. The amount of 2/3 hit kills was pretty astonishing notwithstanding I was wearing the best armour (Havel) and had the 2nd best shield (that big lump of concrete that looks like a tombstone) but still took a massive pounding.

Turns out I haven't done the Dark Chasm of Old either so I got two of those done. It looks like the abyss plays a big part of the lore.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:25 
Bad Girl

NEW DLC IS NOT OUT.

OR MAYBE IT IS!

Reply to topic  [ 563 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next