Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: I Am Legend/Will Smith
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:31 
Honey Boo Boo

Well done, mate, interesting stuff.

I too was disappointed to see it set in contemporary New York (like far too many films these days) but, well, tis Hollywood. My dream version would be set around 1914... so we could have the Royal Flying Corps being set alight by the Heat-ray, while little trucks with machineguns race around on the ground firing ineffectually up that the tripods. But there we go.

In the meantime, I urge you all to read the Dark Horse graphic novel adaption here. (the ornate arrows turn the pages) It's rather well done, apart from the slightly dodgy 'accents', and the facts that some aspects of the book (the adventures of the author's brother during the exodus from London seem totally absent, as does a further description of things he encounters during his travels between the various locations) are missing.

Post subject: Re: War of the Worlds: A Critique
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:11 
INFINITE POWAH

sinister agent wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
another vote for yes please, please!

Re: panicked evacuations, would there really be any other response in the real world? No.

Maybe, if the tripods were decorated in Celtic colours. That would be pretty awesome - people screaming and hurling molotovs, climbing up the tripod legs and doing the aliens in with bottles of grolsch.

I "heh" you, sir.

Quote:
As for I Am Legend, cracked has the original, far superior ending up:

http://www.cracked.com/article_16258_5-awesome-movies-ruined-by-last-minute-changes.html

Hollywood in "not missing entire point of a book" shock! But then followed by Hollywood in "ruining film anyway by pandering to idiots" utter lack of surprise! Bah.

Gah - I can't see this at work - I must know what it is, though, as I've just watched the film last weekend.

And the film was great, although it was a slightly twee ending although
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I didn't expect Mr Smith to die, though.

Highlight: when Sam ran into that building Mrs Chris was all "Nooo! Poor Sam! No, don't eat SAAAAAAM!". Obviously I maintained a steely composure throughout said scene. I also didn't at all get utterly and completely freaked by the manequins, or nuffink.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:59 
Honey Boo Boo

Indeed, that 'new' I Am Legend ending is rubbish.

Surely the creatures would have seen that their girlfriend was cured and that they too could be cured! Indeed, in the proper ending, this was undoubtedly the case! But no! But yes! Etc!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

nervouspete wrote:
It really needed a montage. (Cue South Park song)

Objection!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:27 
Sleepyhead

sinister agent wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
another vote for yes please, please!

Re: panicked evacuations, would there really be any other response in the real world? No.

Maybe, if the tripods were decorated in Celtic colours. That would be pretty awesome - people screaming and hurling molotovs, climbing up the tripod legs and doing the aliens in with bottles of grolsch.

As for I Am Legend, cracked has the original, far superior ending up:

http://www.cracked.com/article_16258_5-awesome-movies-ruined-by-last-minute-changes.html

Hollywood in "not missing entire point of a book" shock! But then followed by Hollywood in "ruining film anyway by pandering to idiots" utter lack of surprise! Bah.

I have yet to see this original ending, but (BOOK AND FILM SPOILERS ABOUND!)

The website says that the zombies are coming for the girl, and that they show compassion or something... but do they still kill Mr Smith? It's integral to the title of the book/film that the zombies are intelligent, as is said... he is a legend amongst their community, their 'bogeyman', as it were. In the book they keep him captive for a bit and then publicly execute him. ANyone care to summarise the original ending?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 13:05 

The original ending to the film:
Will Smif locks himself in the plexiglass cell in the lab and the cured woman.

The Alpha Male breaks into the lab with a load of others and starts attacking the plexiglass. He eventually draws a butterfly shape in blood on the cracked glass. Smif sees this, remembers a butterfly tattoo that he noticed on the infected woman, and realises that the male has come for her. He opens up the plexiglass cage and wheels the cured woman out.

The Alpha Male and the rest of them leave the lab with the cured woman, and Will Smif realises that he is now the problem, not the solution. The "zombies" are now the dominant species on the planet, he's the only human left. And, as vampires/zombies or whatever used to be legends to humans, humans are now legends to the zombies. Will Smif is a legend to the infected people, a lone man who comes from the light and captures them. Will Smif Is Legend. Hence the title of the film.

I think Smif then kills himself to get rid of the problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 13:10 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Doesn't Smith end up living with the Zombies, where his different social background and wisecracking street smarts result in hilarious mishaps and "fish out of water" high jinks?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 13:52 
Sleepyhead

GazChap wrote:
The original ending to the film:
Will Smif locks himself in the plexiglass cell in the lab and the cured woman.

The Alpha Male breaks into the lab with a load of others and starts attacking the plexiglass. He eventually draws a butterfly shape in blood on the cracked glass. Smif sees this, remembers a butterfly tattoo that he noticed on the infected woman, and realises that the male has come for her. He opens up the plexiglass cage and wheels the cured woman out.

The Alpha Male and the rest of them leave the lab with the cured woman, and Will Smif realises that he is now the problem, not the solution. The "zombies" are now the dominant species on the planet, he's the only human left. And, as vampires/zombies or whatever used to be legends to humans, humans are now legends to the zombies. Will Smif is a legend to the infected people, a lone man who comes from the light and captures them. Will Smif Is Legend. Hence the title of the film.

I think Smif then kills himself to get rid of the problem.

That final part would be stoopid, especially since he's heard of that reservation in the countryside where non-infected people can go. Plus, conveying the zombies as being peaceful towards him (unless they're just scared, which seems unlikely) is totally contrary to the whole of the film/book - they haven't exactly been lovely peaceful zombies up until then, have they? They should have stuck with the book, and just executed the bugger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 13:53 

Haha. If only.

On the Smif related stuff, has anyone seen the trailer for his new bastard-superhero film, Hancock? Looks pretty good, I have to say.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 13:55 

Curiosity wrote:
they haven't exactly been lovely peaceful zombies up until then, have they?

Would you be peaceful to a single man that consistently "breaks into" your home while you're resting and captures members of your family?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 13:58 
INFINITE POWAH

GazChap wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Would you be peaceful to a single man that consistently "breaks into" your home while you're resting and captures members of your family?

They'd been attacking and biting all of the "healthy" humans up til then, on sight, until none were left uninfected except him. So I say "hmm" to you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 14:09 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Mr Chris wrote:
GazChap wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

They'd been attacking and biting all of the "healthy" humans up til then, on sight, until none were left uninfected except him. So I say "hmm" to you.

Did they, though? I don't recall ever seeing them do that in the film. They were threatening, certainly, but then to them he's the monster who hunts them at night (well, at day. But that sounds rubbish), so they fear and hate him.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 14:12 
Excellent Member

Hmm, this is getting amusingly off topic, and I can't write the second part of the critique until tomorrow. Oh noes!

BTW: I also invested way too much emotion into Sam's fate. :'(

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 14:14 
INFINITE POWAH

sinister agent wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
GazChap wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Did they, though? I don't recall ever seeing them do that in the film. They were threatening, certainly, but then to them he's the monster who hunts them at night (well, at day. But that sounds rubbish), so they fear and hate him.

There was a scene in the flashback where a vampire jumped at The Smith Family* car. Also - the newspaper covers on the kitchen units in that flat were all about the nasty sick people being nasty, or something.

*Was i the only one who assumed that the kid was a boy until told otherwise? I thought "That's a bloody girly bedroom for a boy" when the new kid was put to bed up there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 14:20 
Peculiar, yet lovely

It... it was a girl?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 14:20 
INFINITE POWAH

Apparently so.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 14:36 

Mr Chris wrote:

You have a point, but their behaviour there isn't too dissimilar to how humans have basically brute-forced our way to the top of the food chain ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 14:36 
Excellent Member

No, wait. A girl?

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 14:38 
INFINITE POWAH

Yes, a girl. This is revealed when she's loaded onto the helicopter.

Also - she's played by Will Smith's real life daughter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 14:40 
INFINITE POWAH

One thing I do particularly like about I Am Leg End is that Mr Smith basically carries off a whole film on his own, with no other actors to bounce off, as it were, for 90% of it. That's got to be pretty tricky, right?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 14:57 

Smif did go up in my estimation after seeing the film, he manages to put a huge amount of emotion into his performance. The bit in the DVD store after
Sam dies
where he's choking back tears while talking to the mannequins was really powerful.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 15:03 
Excellent Member

Mr Chris wrote:
One thing I do particularly like about I Am Leg End is that Mr Smith basically carries off a whole film on his own, with no other actors to bounce off, as it were, for 90% of it. That's got to be pretty tricky, right?

Mm, I agree. I got annoyed with people who dismiss actors like Smith because they're blockbuster material. He works hard and does a fine job, and is a better actor than a fair few who claim to be indie-oscar worthy.

He's several hundred percent more varied and interesting than Aint-it-cool-news-darling Samuel L Jackson*, at any rate.

*Yes, I know he did Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown, but that was some time ago. What, do we now have to live with him playing the same role tediously again and again? The flawless cool guy with badass slow intonation and grumpy frown / "Damn boy!" and shit eating grin? HUH?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 15:05 
INFINITE POWAH

For the avoidance of doubt, I should point out that however cool Sammy Jackson may or may not be, Jackie Brown was one of the worst films in history. And that includes the shadow puppet thing I videoed when I was a kid where two mishapen shadows attacked each other to a soundtrack of my brother farting.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 15:06 
Gogmagog

Pulp Fiction was nowhere NEAR as good as it thought ti was. Anyone who says it's "One of the best films ever" is clearly a MR WRONG FROM WRONG TOWN.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 15:11 

You are both wrong gentlemen. Wrong I say!

But Samuel L. Jackson is, to all intents and purposes, the Afro-American Michael Caine.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 15:44 
Can you dig it?

nervouspete wrote:
BTW: I also invested way too much emotion into Sam's fate. :'(

My wife cried for HOURS after the dog bit. I'm not even kidding, all the way back home, even getting into bed. To be fair, she'd been having a rough time of things and used to have alsations when she was younger (they're all dead now - not by zombie rage infection or anything though...) and she is very sensitive :S

A lot of my friends said it was shit, but I really enjoyed 'I am legend', it was one of my favourite recent films.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 16:38 
I forgot about this - how vain

The first half of I am legend was great. With a build up in keeping with the book
They laid traps for him - they are smart!
I liked it a lot.

The second half of I am legend was a shitgasm. It through the whole premise of the book away (book spoilers
I am Legend was called I am Legend because main character man realised he was the bad guy who came whilst they were sleeping and killed them.

The ending felt wrong and shitty and forced to me. And low and behold there was an original better ending - which you can watch here (I think) if you haven't seen it:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2VKfX5dtE6A.

Much, much better.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 16:42 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Aye, Will Smith is becoming a very talented actor. I say 'becoming' not becase his old stuff is crap, but because he seems to get better every year, and I don't think he'll peak for years yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 16:43 
INFINITE POWAH

He will be the new Morgan Freeman, or something.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 16:46 

Except of course it's strongly rumoured that scientology have "got him" so expect a complete break down circa 2012.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 16:49 
INFINITE POWAH

Oh ffs, not him too.

OI, HOLLYWOOD. If you feel you've got too much money and you would like to exchange some of it for fairy stories about aliens, send me your cash and I'll read SF novels to you over the phone.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 16:52 
lazy eye patch

To be fair though, Will Smith makes so very few films that I'd even consider watching (never mind paying for the privilege), and has made so many in total now, I should damn bloody well think that he can act a bit, by now. He's hardly the kid from The Phanton Menace.

Bad Boys II (I was really bored). I Am Robot. I Am Legend. Before BBII, I really can't remember what I would have previously seen him in. It was quite possibly Men In Black I. Or ID4, whichever came out later.

In any event, I sort of liked the first 30 mins or so of I Am Legend, but thought the end was bollocks. Glad to hear that it was indeed just that. What certificate was I Am Legend, was it another 12a? *swears considerably*

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 16:53 
INFINITE POWAH

It was a 15. As most films that would have been 18 now seem to be. There were so few 18s last time I looked in Blockbuster, it was quite bizarre.

Odd how the BBFC seem to have generally shifted films towards the younger in that respect.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 16:54 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

CUS wrote:
Before BBII, I really can't remember what I would have previously seen him in.

Bad Boys?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 16:56 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Fresh Prince of Bel-air?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 17:04 
Excellent Member

Mr Chris wrote:
Oh ffs, not him too.

OI, HOLLYWOOD. If you feel you've got too much money and you would like to exchange some of it for fairy stories about aliens, send me your cash and I'll read SF novels to you over the phone.

To be fair, I think he's just *ugh* sympathetic and has no personal subscribed religion, he just *ugh* likes some of their ideas.

To be fair, I think we should destroy scientology with fire and save Will, even if we have to get Manchurian Candidate on his ass.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 17:11 
lazy eye patch

Craster wrote:
CUS wrote:
Before BBII, I really can't remember what I would have previously seen him in.

Bad Boys?

Gah! I mean, 'prior to BBII within his volume of work, without as old as e.g. Bad Boys or Fresh Prince of Bel Air OBVIOUSLY'.

However, you have just reminded me of how at my school, everyone thought that Martin Lawrence in Bad Boys was Carlton from FPoBA.

There's Thatcher's Britain for you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 17:29 

nervouspete wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
Oh ffs, not him too.

To be fair, I think he's just *ugh* sympathetic and has no personal subscribed religion, he just *ugh* likes some of their ideas.

To be fair, I think we should destroy scientology with fire and save Will, even if we have to get Manchurian Candidate on his ass.

So much so that he recently opened a scientology school. And his wife is a scientologist.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 17:45 
Excellent Member

Lave wrote:
So much so that he recently opened a scientology school. And his wife is a scientologist.

Citation time!

Also: Destroy the school.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 17:57 

nervouspete wrote:
Lave wrote:

Citation time!

Also: Destroy the school.

As it's the thread owner asking I'll keep going off topic. When I say "open" of course I don't mean "cut a ribbon" I mean "give em a million dollars"

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,360642,00.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 18:37 
Excellent Member

I like Will Smith so much I can't physically click on that link. I believe you though. *Sigh*

Anyway, hullo friendly modders out there! Any chance we could split this thread up so it forms a seperate "I Am Leg-End: Will Smith the Man?" thread? That way when I post the next part people can get straight at it. Ta very much. Don't think I'm dissing the tangent, I love it, just think it deserves its own thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 18:44 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

nervouspete wrote:
I like Will Smith so much I can't physically click on that link. I believe you though. *Sigh*

Anyway, hullo friendly modders out there! Any chance we could split this thread up so it forms a seperate "I Am Leg-End: Will Smith the Man?" thread? That way when I post the next part people can get straight at it. Ta very much. Don't think I'm dissing the tangent, I love it, just think it deserves its own thread.

I...uh...think that might have worked!

Yes, it did - I have the mad mod skillz.

Post subject: Re: I Am Legend/Will Smith
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 19:05 

Er, splitting it shows I pulled a Titler and told you all what you already knew.

Whoops. Sorry about that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 19:13 
lazy eye patch

Lave wrote:
Er, splitting it shows I pulled a Titler and told you all what you already knew.

Could you link to it please, sir? I missed all the Titler-related fun* and I would like to avoid Pulling A Titler in future.

*now that's a harsh punishment

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 19:21 

CUS wrote:
Lave wrote:

Could you link to it please, sir? I missed all the Titler-related fun* and I would like to avoid Pulling A Titler in future.

*now that's a harsh punishment

un-clique-me-do: "Pulling a Titler" - a term I just came up with to describe "telling people what they already knew in detail. As that is what he did apparently. People talk about it on page 5 of the "being nice to Stu thread" and reference This WoS thread.

Your normal I am Will Smith thread resumes in 3, 2, 1....

... I Robot made me want to kill him with a blunt object. Hmmm product placement yes please!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 19:24 

I believe Will Smith has every chance of becoming a fine character actor -- but I think (based on some interviews I've read) he withdrew from the serious roles after failing to get much attention for his (apparantly very good, not seen it) work in Ali. But then we got Pursuit of Happyness (also not seen) which is a return to a bit more lower-key work than his usual wisecracking action guy persona. It'll be very interesting to watch his career over the next 10 years I think.

See also: Jim Carrey. He's bloody brilliant in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 19:38 
Sleepyhead

Scientology aside, I think Will Smith is a fine actor. Whilst a lot of his work has followed a pattern, (ID4, Bad Boys 1+2, MIB 1+2, Wild Wild Fucking West), he's very good at the wise-cracking action role, and has shown versatility in others (Ali, 6 Degrees of Separation, The Pursuit of Happyness), not to mention his turn in 'I Am Legend', which as a largely one-handed film (in the vein of TOm Hank's castaway one) takes some doing if you want to keep the audience interested or on your side.

Oh, and he did get Oscar nominated twice, for Leading Male in 'Ali' and 'The Pursuit...', so he does get a soupcon of recognition.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 19:41 

Curiosity wrote:
Oh, and he did get Oscar nominated twice, for Leading Male in 'Ali' and 'The Pursuit...', so he does get a soupcon of recognition.
I've read he was very bitter at not getting the Oscar for Ali. Hmm, he lost to Denzel Washington for Training Day; dunno how I feel about that, as Washington is excellent in that film. I've not seen Ali so I can't really comment, although I have read it is excellent.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 19:43 
Where are you?

richardgaywood wrote:
See also: Jim Carrey. He's bloody brilliant in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

See also: The Majestic, but not The Number 23, which was just dreadful. It'll be interesting to see how he plays 'Danny Wallace' in Yes Man. I suspect it'll be a typical Carrey gurnathon, sadly.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 19:46 
lazy eye patch

richardgaywood wrote:
he withdrew from the serious roles after failing to get much attention for his (apparantly very good, not seen it) work in Ali

Would you believe that I have a copy of Ali on DVD, not half a metre to the left of me, at eye-level, which I have owned for years and never watched? Which I completely forgot? Mm.

Also, I keep wanting to say that I liked The Island, except he wasn't in it. This is irritating me.

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next