Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Charging A DS
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:32 

Our lightbulbs (both here in the new flat and in the old house) are always burning out - m flat in London has nothing liek this problem. Could a high voltage be the cause for this, do you think?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:50 
baron of techno

Mimi wrote:
Our lightbulbs (both here in the new flat and in the old house) are always burning out - m flat in London has nothing liek this problem. Could a high voltage be the cause for this, do you think?

Yes, if they are incandescent light bulbs.
However, I've noticed recently (well, in the last few years) that the quality of these has gone through the floor. If you're buying cheap ones from a supermarket, that's more likely to be the problem. Buy proper-lighty-quality-things instead.
You could change them to CFL ones anyway, and they aren't as bothered by the voltage.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:34 

I do not know what kind of lightbulbs they are (sorry, I know nothing about this kind of thing) We use energy saving lightbulbs in all of the rooms, but also have loads of those stupid little spotlights that are sunk into the ceiling in the hallways, both bathrooms and the kitchen - this kind of thing:

In the old house we had energy saving lightbulbs, which used to go every six months or so, but in that house 'normal' lightbulbs would go once every couple of weeks or so, no matter where we bought them from.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:53 
baron of techno

Mimi wrote:
I do not know what kind of lightbulbs they are (sorry, I know nothing about this kind of thing) We use energy saving lightbulbs in all of the rooms, but also have loads of those stupid little spotlights that are sunk into the ceiling in the hallways, both bathrooms and the kitchen - this kind of thing:

Oh, those are designed to burn out every 5 minutes. Hateful things! Rip them out, because they'll be costing you a fortune to run as well. You can get 12V LED replacements if you don't want to change the fittings.

Quote:
In the old house we had energy saving lightbulbs, which used to go every six months or so, but in that house 'normal' lightbulbs would go once every couple of weeks or so, no matter where we bought them from.

OK, definitely high voltage in that case. Your CFLs will last for years normally.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:58 

kalmar wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Oh, those are designed to burn out every 5 minutes. Hateful things! Rip them out, because they'll be costing you a fortune to run as well. You can get 12V LED replacements if you don't want to change the fittings.

Quote:

OK, definitely high voltage in that case. Your CFLs will last for years normally.

I'll look for those 12V LED bulbs that you talk of - those 'hateful things' as you call them are exactly that - I do not like them, bu they were fitted into the flat when we moved in. Thanks for the info and tips, Kalmar. The electrics here aren't perfect, but nothing like what we had at the old house (i wonder how we didn't die in there, the electrics were so shoddy...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:01 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Let me know if you find the LED things, Meems. I've got a load of those bulbs, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:20 
baron of techno

Haven't used this shop but the prices aren't too bad:

http://www.onestopledshop.co.uk/index.p ... ex&cPath=2

'MR' is the type if replacing low voltage halogens. I'd recommend the 'warm' variety!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:21 

Will do, Grim... I'm just heading down to town in a mo, failing that there is a great lightbulb seller on eBay who I get my daylight bulbs from who I am sure will be of help.

I'll report back.

EDIT: Bah, pipped by Kalmar. Foiled again.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:32 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Bear or Bust wrote:
Has anyone actually done this. I'll be going on holiday in the next couple of weeks, so would like to know how easy it would be to get it charged up when the battery runs low, only the manual with it is no help whatsoever.

I charged my DS with a UK Charger with just a plug converter while working in Bulgaria multiple times for over a year with no ill results.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:37 

Can you not just buy a U.S. charger whilst you are there and use that? My original DS was a Japanese one but was supplied with a UK charger. Then when the DS lites came out I got a pink one from Japan or America (can't remember which) but used the charger from my white DS lite.

Someone told me that all DS units are the same, it is only the chargers that differ from country to country. As long as you have the appropriate charger for the country you should be OK (I hope this is right and that I wasn't risking death all these years...)

I got a new DS today, also! It is a pea green one and was a wonderful surprise gift :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 13:22 
baron of techno

/me bangs head against nearest wall

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 13:33 

Sorry Kalmar, I was in a rush and haven't actually read any of the thread before the post where someone put a graph of their household electricity (because I nerdishly like stats, I was drawn to the graph...) so if you said either what I just said previously, or something totally different I just hadn't read it, as I was heading down to the shops.

Sorry, I should have read back. I will now. I am suitably 'told'.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 13:38 

Ok, I did read back and am more confused now than I was before.

Anyway, I asked this question on WoS and was told the unit was universal and that the only thing that needed to change was the adaptor. I have been using a UK DS charger with a Japanese DS for years. I am so far not dead and the DS still works as good as the day I bought it s wether this tallies with what you are saying or not I do not know ?:|

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 13:42 
Comfortably Dumb

Mimi wrote:
The electrics here aren't perfect, but nothing like what we had at the old house (i wonder how we didn't die in there, the electrics were so shoddy...

Look at your avatar - are you sure you didn't die? I've seen Sixth Sense y'know :o

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 13:43 
baron of techno

Hehe, sorry Mimi, I wasn't having a go.

The question apparently should have been
"Can I use my UK DS charger in Europe?"
The answer to that is "Of course you can, just get a plug adaptor". The end.

That would have been it. But it continues to drag on forever because it's difficult to understand what the question was (it was very vague and never clarified), and people have thrown in conflicting stuff about different voltages and the US and so on. Despite the correct answers having been given a few times now :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 13:48 
baron of techno

Mimi wrote:
Anyway, I asked this question on WoS and was told the unit* was universal and that the only thing that needed to change was the adaptor**. I have been using a UK DS charger with a Japanese DS for years. I am so far not dead and the DS still works as good as the day I bought it s wether this tallies with what you are saying or not I do not know ?:|

[*] The Unit = the DS
[**] The Adaptor = the charger that plugs into the wall

Perfectly correct :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 13:49 

Morte wrote:
Bear or Bust wrote:
Has anyone actually done this. I'll be going on holiday in the next couple of weeks, so would like to know how easy it would be to get it charged up when the battery runs low, only the manual with it is no help whatsoever.

I charged my DS with a UK Charger with just a plug converter while working in Bulgaria multiple times for over a year with no ill results.

Because (sighs) Bulgaria is the same as us.

Quote:
Can you not just buy a U.S. charger whilst you are there and use that? My original DS was a Japanese one but was supplied with a UK charger. Then when the DS lites came out I got a pink one from Japan or America (can't remember which) but used the charger from my white DS lite.

Someone told me that all DS units are the same, it is only the chargers that differ from country to country. As long as you have the appropriate charger for the country you should be OK (I hope this is right and that I wasn't risking death all these years...)

I got a new DS today, also! It is a pea green one and was a wonderful surprise gift :D

All of this is correct, although as you then noticed, covered multiple times in the thread before :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 13:56 

kalmar wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Anyway, I asked this question on WoS and was told the unit* was universal and that the only thing that needed to change was the adaptor**. I have been using a UK DS charger with a Japanese DS for years. I am so far not dead and the DS still works as good as the day I bought it s whether this tallies with what you are saying or not I do not know ?:|

[*] The Unit = the DS
[**] The Adaptor = the charger that plugs into the wall

Perfectly correct :)

Yes, this is what I meant - the DS and the charger. Ok, I am safe then. Phew :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:15 
making out to faces of death

Danger! Danger! High Voltage!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7514426.stm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 17:04 
Caution Live Bear.

Christ on a bike, I've been back a week and this is still doing the rounds. My DS charged just fine with a cheap plug adaptor and charger.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 17:40 
baron of techno

Bear or Bust wrote:
Christ on a bike, I've been back a week and this is still doing the rounds. My DS charged just fine with a cheap plug adaptor and charger.

MUST RESIST KILLING BEAR OR BUST WITH DS CHARGER. >:|

THROUGH THE FACE

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 17:41 

I've got (on the way) a USB charger now, just to hit the problem right in the face.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 17:56 
Can you dig it?

kalmar wrote:
Bear or Bust wrote:

MUST RESIST KILLING BEAR OR BUST WITH DS CHARGER. >:|

THROUGH THE FACE

Why's that?

If it worked then good for him.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 15:15 

Bear or Bust wrote:

No it isn't doing the rounds. I just used it because of the news item that was relevant. If you'd read it, you would have seen that, and not looked like a gert big doofus.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 15:53 
Participant in dramatic games

so when i get to england next month, you actually have the same voltage as us on the continent, AND FINALLY USE NORMAL PLUGS INSTEAD OF THOSE UGLY ONES?

AND USE THE METRIC SYSTEM?

/runs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 16:02 

We do use the metric system. You can be thrown in prison for selling bananas by the lb.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 16:04 
baron of techno

He's got a point about the plugs though. But I doubt that'll change any time soon due to the way our houses are wired.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 16:07 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Our rectangular 3 pins always feel far more solid and better fits than circular 2-pin connections.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 16:14 
baron of techno

Craster wrote:
Our rectangular 3 pins always feel far more solid and better fits than circular 2-pin connections.

True, but that's because we don't have a 2-pin equivalent. So we use honking great earthed connectors for every little double-insulated appliance which doesn't want an earth anyway.

Their 3 pin connector (which fits the same outlets) carries more current, the round pins make better contact and don't overheat, is sealed so you can't miswire it, can't get water in it, and won't fall to bits exposing live parts.
And you can pull it out by the cable, so you won't break your neck or damage the cable if you trip over it.

Most painful thing in the world: stepping on a UK plug, pins up.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 16:15 

They're also very safe because of that pinchy earth socket bit that cuts the power if it's not opened by a peg (plugging in a plug) or something.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 16:16 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

kalmar wrote:
is sealed so you can't miswire it, can't get water in it, and won't fall to bits exposing live parts.

Same as a UK plug for the last 10 years.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 16:18 
baron of techno

AceAceBaby wrote:
They're also very safe because of that pinchy earth socket bit that cuts the power if it's not opened by a peg (plugging in a plug) or something.

It doesn't cut the power, it just puts a shutter over the live and neutral pins until the earth is inserted (that's why it's longer). It's a good idea but only necessary because the UK plugs need such big holes in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 16:19 
baron of techno

Craster wrote:
kalmar wrote:
is sealed so you can't miswire it, can't get water in it, and won't fall to bits exposing live parts.

Same as a UK plug for the last 10 years.

Apart from all the crappy fall-apart replaceable ones which come with every other new appliance, yes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 16:20 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Hasn't it been law for around 10 years that appliances cannot be sold with replacable plugs?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 16:22 
baron of techno

Craster wrote:
Hasn't it been law for around 10 years that appliances cannot be sold with replacable plugs?

Don't think so. Maybe for a certain class of appliance? I've certainly had to remove and throw away several really shoddy ones on brand new lamps (from Ikea I think) quite recently.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 16:42 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Not a great source - http://www.diynot.com - but this is the best quote I could find:

Quote:
By law in the UK new electrical products should now come fitted with a plug.

Oh - in fact that doesn't even say 'a moulded plug'. I'll search on.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 19:05 
Paws for thought

kalmar wrote:
Most painful thing in the world: stepping on a UK plug, pins up.

I'm sure there are a fair few women who would disagree with you. (And also any man who has been firmly kicked in the balls)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 20:58 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Ooh. Giving birth to a three pin plug would hurt.

Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2