Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Elite
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:54 

If you find yourself in a Sidewinder or Eagle, and in a station with lots of players, I heartily recommend you take 5 minutes to just sit and look around from the docking pad and watch players whizzing about and in and out of the gate. It is awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 14:59 
ugvm'er at heart...

I have played Elite!

I have no fucking idea what i'm doing!

Feel free to add Imperious Rex to your friend list, but don't expect me to be able to find you or work out how to talk to you or anything :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 15:00 
ugvm'er at heart...

I probably need to do the tutorials, right?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 15:47 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Right.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 16:38 
Unpossible!

I spent many an hour careening about Frontier without ever reading any instructions.

I was *shit*

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 16:50 

Without reading any instructions, you aren't going to be able to land your ship. If you can't land your ship, you're gonna have a bad time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 17:06 
ugvm'er at heart...

GazChap wrote:
Trooper wrote:
My Rift is apparently preparing to ship already...

>:(

It arrives tomorrow!

I'm not in!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 17:10 

You should play the game a bit without the Rift, if only to learn the basics of the controls. Don't be me: interdicted out of warp on a routine trading milk run, not knowing how to get away, with my shields gone and my hull so damaged my ship's windscreen was shattered, but at least I could see what I was doing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 17:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Totally agree - if nothing else because the resolution isn't quite there on the Rift for the text, so it can be hard to read if you don't have an idea of what it says.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 17:26 
ugvm'er at heart...

Aye, i'm playing through the tutorials at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 17:38 
ugvm'er at heart...

Man, the sidewinder face-off train mission is a bunch of arse. Skipping that one. It's not difficult, just terminally boring. Two pissy little ships with pissy little lasers circling around and firing endlessly at each other trying to wear down their shield 1% at a time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 17:39 

That'll teach you about a tenth of what you need to know. Have fun!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 17:47 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'll be glad when my HOTAS arrives. The 360 pad is alright, but it's a bit fiddly and unresponsive to do the micro adjustments needed in combat.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 18:32 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

So tempted to get this for myself as a early pressie

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 19:41 
ugvm'er at heart...

Training missions complete, universe here I come!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 21:33 

There are some official training videos as well, linked to in the launcher. There's some pretty useful stuff in those, actually, that you don't learn from the tutorial missions.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 21:38 
ugvm'er at heart...

To the videos! The universe can wait!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 23:17 

I used to run whenever I was interdicted, and used to avoid going to Unidentified Signal Sources in case pirates lay in wait.

But just tonight I've decided - sod it, I'm only in my free Sidewinder (albeit with a few minor upgrades) - not losing much if I get blown up!

So I've found myself in six separate combat situations - all around nav beacons, unidentified signals, and one interdiction.

Three kills later, I'm about 20,000 credits richer. I'd have killed the other three too, but they were chicken and kept FSD'ing away before I could claim their hull. Must start targeting sub-systems instead of attacking the entire ship.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 23:28 
ugvm'er at heart...

Do you play with flight assist off? Or with a toggle so you can do some spins and shit like that?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 23:34 

I think flight assist off is mostly a curiosity. You can perform most advanced manoeuvres much more easily just by using vertical and lateral thrust.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 23:56 
ugvm'er at heart...

The spinning around to fire backwards, while still carrying on forwards is useful though (or has been in other games I've played, not tried it yet in elite) plus there are some crazy videos of people circle strafing while keeping their reticle on the target, which is pretty impressive!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 0:17 

Trooper wrote:
Do you play with flight assist off? Or with a toggle so you can do some spins and shit like that?

I do have a toggle for it on my HOTAS but I rarely use it.

In the DK2 it's just as easy to strafe with the thrusters, while keeping eyes on the target just by moving your head.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 0:22 
ugvm'er at heart...

GazChap wrote:
Trooper wrote:

I do have a toggle for it on my HOTAS but I rarely use it.

In the DK2 it's just as easy to strafe with the thrusters, while keeping eyes on the target just by moving your head.

It's not just about eyes on target, it's about keeping guns on target while circle strafing. I'm not sure I'll ever be at that level of skill.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 16:15 
Hello Hello Hello

8/10 -

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... ous-review

Not wildly sold on it going from the negative aspects of the review.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 16:44 
Sleepyhead

I played it for a bit yesterday. Found some blueprints floating in space and sold them on the black market. Ah yeah. Would deffo buy it if I thought it wouldn't kill my PC.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 17:27 
ugvm'er at heart...

I have flown from one space station to the next while wearing the rift, without throwing up!

I think i'm going to have to do some illegal missions, as that seems to be where the cash is. I did make 400Cr transporting beer though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 18:07 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Trooper wrote:
I have flown from one space station to the next while wearing the rift, without throwing up!

Play the dogfight training missions again and prepare to have your MIND BLOWN.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 21:32 
ugvm'er at heart...

Grim... wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Play the dogfight training missions again and prepare to have your MIND BLOWN.

That's pretty fun, and makes dogfights a lot easier! It's the first thing I've tried that actually works better in the rift than playing normally, and isn't just a gimmick.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 23:52 

This game is consuming large chunks of my life, much like Frontier did back in the (late) Amiga days. But now I'm off for vacation and won't be able to play it for two weeks! :S

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 0:28 

Trooper wrote:
That's pretty fun, and makes dogfights a lot easier! It's the first thing I've tried that actually works better in the rift than playing normally, and isn't just a gimmick.

First time I was in a dogfight in it, I simply naturally (and subconsciously) turned my head to track an enemy as the passed me, then pulled my ship around without ever needing to look at the radar. And then I thought about what had just happened, and my mind exploded out of my ears.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 0:34 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Trooper wrote:

First time I was in a dogfight in it, I simply naturally (and subconsciously) turned my head to track an enemy as the passed me, then pulled my ship around without ever needing to look at the radar. And then I thought about what had just happened, and my mind exploded out of my ears.

I'm not interested in this game at all but that does sound fucking awesome. I'm going to get a Rift at some point and, I suspect, use it rarely; but the rare experiences I get it out for (like your example there) will make it instantly worth whatever money they end up charging for it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:33 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Trooper wrote:

:this:

It's all kinds of awesome, even with the limited resolution.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 20:24 
Terrible Human Being

I'm predictably Commander PSB, add me now I demand it.

Or not, whatever, I'm not your mum.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 20:51 
Decapodian

I'm Commander Zoidberg funnily enough.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:53 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 16:57 
ugvm'er at heart...

While it's fun to fly around, and i'm enjoying myself, as a game it's pretty much broken. It needs a lot more work.

Look at all these missions available... that you can't do because your ship doesn't have the cargo capacity, and you don't have any money to get a bigger ship yet.
What about this mission? Nope, they don't trust you yet.
That's ok, I'll take this one mission that is available to me. Ok, so I need to fly all the way over here to pick up some rebel transmissions. I can do that. Fly there. No transmissions to be seen. Fly around for an hour, none spawn. Give up.
I know, i'll get some cash by selling my exploring data! Oh, I need to be 20ly's away from where I found it? But my current ship doesn't have the jump capacity to get me out of here and into the next system, I need to spend some money to upgrade it, I know, I'll do some missions!... Oh...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 17:25 

Yeah, it can be pretty tough to get started. I had the beta backers' free Eagle to sell for the first 44000 credits, but without that, bounty hunting/combat bonds is probably the easiest way to get some money right off the bat (go to a nav point and look for wanted ships or find a conflict zone). Once you've upgraded the Sidewinder's cargo capacity and frame shift drive and bought a fuel scoop that isn't the cheapest one available, (or bought an Adder and done the same), go to Lave (Lave Station), Leesti (George Lucas), Diso (Shifnalport) and Orrere (Sharon Lee Free Market) to pick up some rare goods and transport them at least 150 lightyears, then you're nearly set for a Cobra already. Just watch out for players doing pirating around those systems, if you play in open! And never, ever, take off without enough money to pay the buy back for your current ship.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 17:54 
ugvm'er at heart...

...and again, the only mission I have available is to go to a star system and pick up a rebel transmission. There. is. nothing. there.

How they thought that missions based on finding random objects in space was the best way to go, without even seeding the place you are supposed to find them, I have no idea. The only thing you can do is to fly around the system and wait for a USS to appear, which can take anything up to an hour in my experience, and then hope that the USS it has spawned is the right type. Which it never is.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 17:58 

Maybe you're just in some very low population stations? I don't usually have that much trouble finding missions. Look around a bit.

Edit: Also, if there are no missions at first, sometimes it works to sit in a station for couple of minutes (browsing the commodities market or whatever) and then check again.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 18:04 
ugvm'er at heart...

I usually have a dozen or so missions, but only 1 that is actually available for me to choose, and it is always one based on USS crap.
Having a game fully based on RNG is fine, but when it goes against you at the start, it is really fucking annoying.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 18:14 
Gogmagog

lasermink wrote:
Just watch out for players doing pirating around those systems, if you play in open! And never, ever, take off without enough money to pay the buy back for your current ship.

Details, stories and anecdotes requested.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 18:23 
Hello Hello Hello

It sounds like a really badly implemented MMO with spaceships in it.

Even reading between the lines in the Eurogamer 8/10 review it was clear the game had more than its fair share of problems.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 19:48 
Terrible Human Being

Hearthly wrote:
It sounds like a really badly implemented MMO with spaceships in it.

Even reading between the lines in the Eurogamer 8/10 review it was clear the game had more than its fair share of problems.

It's more like a somewhat incomplete Elite game but with multiplayer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 15:28 

MaliA wrote:
lasermink wrote:
Just watch out for players doing pirating around those systems, if you play in open! And never, ever, take off without enough money to pay the buy back for your current ship.

Details, stories and anecdotes requested.

One of the first things I did was going to a system called Sorbago, where, according to the newsfeed, slaves working in the Empire's mines were rebelling. I had decided I wanted to play as a sort of imperial up-and-comer, so I was determined to help quell this rebellion. I had previously sold the free Eagle, but now I bought another one and having earned a bit of money doing exploration on the trip to Sorbago, I was able to get it fitted with decent weaponry and shields.

There were several conflict zones around the Sorbago system, some involving imperial capital ships, but the easiest ones tend to be the so called high intensity zones, where there is a variety of craft duking it out. Picking apart a Cobra or bigger takes a lot of time and ammo with an Eagle, so it was mainly a matter of trying to get to the Eagles and imperial fighters quickly, before they were taken out by NPCs or other players, who at this point all seemed to choose the same side as me, ie. the empire-supported mining company.

I had a couple of good sessions earning some nice bonds (3000 credits per kill) and going back to the station to cash them in. Then, at one point other players had turned up, and a few of them chose to defend the rebels. They all seemed to have very powerfully specced Cobras (backers at or above a certain tier get a Cobra at the beginning of the game). One of them went straight for me, and after a couple of seconds of having my shields torn apart, I turned around, afterburners screaming, just hell bent on getting the fuck out of there. My Eagle was upgraded, as I said, and pretty fast, and I put in some distance very quickly, but the FSD took an agonising time to spin up, and gimballed lasers were tearing at my hull as I frantically spiralled away from the war zone. I finally made it out of there at about 50% hull, and rushed back to the nearest station to repair and cash in my bonds (which you lose if you're blown up).

I wasn't about to go back to the same zone, and decided to have a look at one of the more remote zones involving a capital ship. I entered into the zone where smaller ships were already doing battle. A few moments later, the whole area suddenly seemed to crack apart and an absolutely gigantic and stunning looking ship materialised, warping space around it. Fortunately it was on my side.

However, a couple of enemy Anacondas immediately decided to target me, and just took away my shield in the blink of an eye. Again I was on the run, chunks of space ship all over the place as they picked me apart. My canopy was breached, and I found myself in the cold vacuum of space, making it out of the war zone with a mere 10% hull left. Fortunately I had fitted a good life support system and had 15 minutes of oxygen, which was plenty to make it back to the station, but on the other hand, since I had lost the central part of the canopy, the projected HUD would only show around the edge of my cockpit, which made it a bit trickier to navigate than usual.

It wouldn't have made much difference if I had been blown up, since I hadn't earned any bonds yet at this point. The rebuy cost of an Eagle is very low, although still somewhat more expensive than repairing. It just felt fantastic to make such a narrow escape, pulse hammering while limping into the space station on emergency life support. The broken canopy means all sound is muffled as the oxygen timer ticks down, until you make it inside the space station where there is life saving atmosphere. It really is a special feeling to arrive in this state.

At this point it looked as if I no longer had a chance in the conflict zones while flying an Eagle, so that's when I decided to do a rare goods run as described above, and I bought an Adder, fitted it appropriately and according to my budget, and made off for Lave.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 15:41 
Decapodian

I've done a couple of runs to Lave and picked up a full cargo hold of Rare items. Bugger off 150LY and sell, then return and repeat. That'll net you half a million credits from 34T so now I'm beefing up my weaponry and will go hunting.

I need to do some more missions to improve my reputation a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 16:50 
ugvm'er at heart...

Just spent a couple of hours in the rift with no space sickness, which was nice :) I can't drive a car sim for more than about 10 minutes without needing to throw up! I wonder why this is so different?

I now have 15000Cr! Is it best to keep saving a buy a hauler, or to spruce up my sidewinder? It's pretty low on room so if I want to add another 2 cargo slots I guess i'll have to remove my shields, which doesn't seem entirely sensible.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 17:20 
Decapodian

Swap to a hauler, then use Thrudds trading tool to see what's profitable near by. You should get some 1000cr/t routes.

http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 16:49 
ugvm'er at heart...

I now have a Hauler with 16T cargo capacity and 30000Cr in the bank. Go me!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 16:50 
Gogmagog

It does sound superb.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 20:41 
I forgot about this - how vain

Any news on the mac version?

:'(

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

Reply to topic  [ 764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next