Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Elite
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 15:41 

The latest newsletter announces that the retail price of Elite: Dangerous will be £35.00 ($50 and €40).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 15:49 

Also announced: In the final game players will be able to own multiple ships. Only one ship can be flown at a time, the rest can be stored away in "garages" on space stations, so you don't have to re-buy and reconfigure every time you want to change role (once you have enough money to be able to afford it, obviously).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 15:55 

That was always in the design documents, but I'm glad that we have confirmation that this feature will be present for release.

No news on beta 2 though, although now there's rampant speculation that it'll be released to coincide with the 30th Anniversary.

Hopefully it'll drop around the same time I get my DK2 - whenever that may be!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 15:57 

Are those documents available for us regular folks who aren't in the super seekret designer forum?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 16:10 

I think so, yeah. The archived discussions, which I think are freely viewable by all (you may need to register a forum account, but that's it) should be here.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 16:53 

Nice, thanks, I already have an account, but I haven't visited much. It seems a pretty confusing mass of threads, to be honest.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 23:01 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 0:01 

Cobracure wrote:
lasermink wrote:
The latest newsletter announces that the retail price of Elite: Dangerous will be £35.00 ($50 and €40).

I could be tempted by this as long as I can buy it in a dvd style case and there is no "always on" internet thing.

In fact I paid £35 for C&C in 1996 so as long as I can get a physical box and no steam or shit like that I'll buy it - like I did with Freelancer in 2003.

I just know this wont happen same as people buy internet kindle electronic books whilst I still buy physical paper books.

Hey ho! :(

I said "retail price", but they don't actually call it that. The Kickstarter did have a tier that included a physical DRM-free copy of the game, although that was £60, and if the final release does end up being sold in this manner, it will probably still require you to log in (I don't really know).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 0:15 

From what I can see from googling around, it does seem there will be a totally offline mode of play - this would also allow players who normally play online to create independent play sessions for experimental purposes or whatever.

EDIT: It is still not entirely clear to me if there will still be some sort of verification log in or not, although they have said that the game would be made in such a way that it would still be playable if one day the servers have to be shut of permanently.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:22 

lasermink wrote:
I still don't really understand how they plan to fund the server costs down the line, though. Maybe more stuff along the lines of the paintjobs currently on offer? I guess there are more surprises waiting ahead.

Well, the server costs aren't going to be anything like what CCP would have to pay for EVE, for instance. The game relies on Peer-to-Peer networking to operate, with Frontier's server existing to more to manage backend stuff like matchmaking, player comms, dynamic stock markets and injected special events.

This is the reason there's a delay coming out of supercruise, particularly in range of space stations, as Frontier's matchmaking connects you to a player actually hosting an instance of that area of space. It sounds horrendous, but once they've got the delays sorted out, it should be fairly seamless. They've designed it so that even though entering and dropping out of supercruise is obviously intended to partially mask the loading of instances, it's not necessary to use the supercruise function to fly places (it just takes a colossal amount of time to travel large distances without supercruise). For instance, I was interdicted once on my way to a station and forced out of supercruise a few hundred km from the station - still well beyond how far you'd appear from the station by supercruising there normally. Once I'd dealt with the encounter I decided to just use conventional flight to go the rest of the way to the station to see what would happen - and sure enough, once I was close enough I could see the station far in the distance, getting closer. As I got within range, other player ships started appearing on my scanner - all completely seamless.

I saw someone from Frontier on their forum state that they'd designed the engine to allow travel between systems without hyperspace too, although they've included restrictions within the gameplay to prevent players from doing so (not only would it take too long, even under supercruise, it would burn more fuel than any of the ships can carry). I don't know how true that is though.

GazChap wrote:
No news on beta 2 though, although now there's rampant speculation that it'll be released to coincide with the 30th Anniversary.

Hopefully it'll drop around the same time I get my DK2 - whenever that may be!

You're going to love using the DK2 with it. The resolution is still not completely wonderful even on the DK2 (improving this is one of the key objectives of development for the final consumer version), and Elite Dangerous's choice of typeface makes some of the HUD readouts difficult to read, but it's such an amazing way to play the game. You do need a pretty strong GPU though - ideally you need to be able to achieve a consistent 75 FPS for Oculus to work at it's best. That said, I couldn't get that level of performance out of our test rig at work though and I thought it was perfectly playable - after posting last Wednesday, I stayed at work for another 90 mins playing it. I only stopped because I had to get home (and the bridge of my glasses was starting to dig into my nose inside the Rift). Best to play in the dark too, if you can, as light tends to get in through the nose gap in the visor.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 14:06 

Zio wrote:
They've designed it so that even though entering and dropping out of supercruise is obviously intended to partially mask the loading of instances, it's not necessary to use the supercruise function to fly places (it just takes a colossal amount of time to travel large distances without supercruise). For instance, I was interdicted once on my way to a station and forced out of supercruise a few hundred km from the station - still well beyond how far you'd appear from the station by supercruising there normally. Once I'd dealt with the encounter I decided to just use conventional flight to go the rest of the way to the station to see what would happen - and sure enough, once I was close enough I could see the station far in the distance, getting closer.

Ooh I was planning on testing that once I get back into a Viper. I have previously managed to get down to the "surface" of planets from the minimum drop out distance, which takes something like an hour or more depending on the size (and therefore the initial distance) of the planet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:47 

Yesterday, I had a quick go on a "F1 Simulator" at the Grand Pier in Weston-super-Mare. Three monitors in front of you, you're strapped in and the whole thing shifts you around with force feedback etc. and tilts you to simulate G-force etc.

I came off feeling incredibly motion sick, and I've never experienced motion sickness before - on anything. I'm attributing it more to the low frame rate on the displays and the lack of "effect" when braking more than anything else, but it has made me wonder if I'll get on with the DK2 in Elite... :/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:10 

Well, if you don't get on with it, I'll have it off you! :-D

I've found that I did get pretty motion sick on some of the FPS-style demos using Oculus, when moving around with the keyboard and mouse. For some reason the fact that I was physically sat or stood still, but walking around in the demo, really messed with my head and made me feel incredibly nauseous. Elite: Dangerous never gave me that problem once though, largely I think because you're meant to be strapped to a chair in the cockpit of your ship all the time. So your body isn't moving either in real life, or in the game.

The refresh rate of the DK2 is 75Hz and you need to try and get frame rate parity with that if at all possible. That said, I don't think our demo station here was able to hit 75FPS very much and yet I still found the experience just fine. A few others here gave E:D a go too and had no issues with it, even though other demos did make them motion sick.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 13:55 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Get an Elite 'remake' for free this weekend

http://www.vg247.com/2014/09/17/classic ... -download/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 15:03 

zaphod79 wrote:
Get an Elite 'remake' for free this weekend

http://www.vg247.com/2014/09/17/classic ... -download/

Elite: The New Kind used to be freely available, until it was taken down by "request" of David Braben.

I wonder what's going on here. Has David Braben been asked, or is this Ian Bell giving him the finger?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 0:16 

I'm getting a serious "uncanny valley" vibe from Elite on the DK2.

You know how, when you close your eyes and hold your arm out in front of you, your brain knows exactly where your hand is no matter how much you wave your arm about?

Kinda like that. I can't see *shit* in the real world when I'm wearing the DK2, but when I'm in the cockpit of my ship and I look down at "my" body, holding the joystick and throttle (more or less in exactly the same location as they are in the real world) it feels like I'm looking at my own body parts.

Indeed, if I look at "my" hand on the joystick, and then use my left hand to take the goggles off, I see that the game's positioning of "my" arm and hand matches my actual limbs almost exactly.

It's really fucking unnerving, yet cool all the same.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:48 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

GazChap wrote:
You know how, when you close your eyes and hold your arm out in front of you, your brain knows exactly where your hand is no matter how much you wave your arm about?

Ooh! Ooh! I know this one!

That's called 'proprioception'.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:20 
Unpossible!

Sometimes referred to as The Sixth Sense

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 18:45 

With 2 weeks left until the next major update, and only 2 months until the planned (and recently reconfirmed by Braben) deadline of the final release, Elite: Dangerous is currently bugged to hell, even unplayable for some. It is rather infuriating, because the game was running very smoothly before Beta 2 was released a couple of weeks ago.

On the forums, fanboys are furiously trying to convince the people complaining that there is nothing wrong, oh no, the game works just fine, everything will be fine, people are just imagining it because it works fine for us so it must work fine for everybody, and hey, we are beta testing after all, so just shut up and file a ticket, please.

I hope everything will be fine, and I'm possibly just sour because I am one of the many people currently refusing to play it due to a serious graphics bug that makes everything look completely shit on some PCs.

But I don't like the direction this has taken.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 21:16 

Given the size of the changelogs they post whenever they release a substantial update, I'm not worried.

This ain't no Star Citizen.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 23:39 

To be fair though, it *is* a beta, and does have a lot of time to between now and final release to sort out a lot of the bugs. I do hear you with the graphics bug - on mine the gamma seems to go wrong and things appear much too bright. Going in and out of the galaxy or system maps resolves it temporarily though.

I'm confident. Beta 2 is really decent compared to Beta 1. I got very bored of Beta 1 after a time, but I've been sinking hours and hours into Beta 2.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 20:15 

Zio wrote:
I do hear you with the graphics bug - on mine the gamma seems to go wrong and things appear much too bright. Going in and out of the galaxy or system maps resolves it temporarily though.

This is one bug. There is another that only affects some graphics cards (a rather large range of nVidia cards it seems). It cannot be fixed in this way, and it is much worse in its effect.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 16:56 

I just watched a demo of someone using Voice Attack to fly the ship. I am dead of sploosh.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 17:27 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

If only we could watch the video, too!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 17:39 

http://bit.ly/1DGRw1E

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 17:41 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Let me explain how Google works for you - it searches for a video, but I don't know if that's the one you saw.

HTH HAND

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 17:44 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

All he did was control the speed ?:|

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 17:53 

I watched this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dnJ--pSjdE

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 19:13 

Yeah, I used Voice Attack until I bought the X52, although I'm tempted to get it back up and running again because trying to find some of the X52's buttons when you can't see what you're doing is a right 'mare.

Being able to just say, "Computer, landing gear" or "Computer, request docking" has its benefits.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 20:21 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Could you say "request docking"? I noticed that he did it manually in the videos I watched.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 20:25 

Yeah, you set it up as a macro so it presses the key that brings up the left panel, then moves across to the relevant tab, then selects the station (which is always the first one in the list) and then goes to the request docking option.

Only problem is, with the DK2 it wouldn't work for me because the keys to bring up the side panels don't work when using it.

Never mind though, eh?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 14:09 
Rude Belittler

I got the beta, I enjoy scudding about in my Sidey, but there are still lots of bugs. The 'launches but doesn't actually launch' thing merely being the most annoying.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 17:59 

At least they finally got rid of that graphics bug, the fix for which they for some reason couldn't be bothered to put in a patch for nearly a month, so now I can actually play again without losing my will to live.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 18:28 
Excellent Member

GazChap wrote:
Being able to just say, "Computer, landing gear" or "Computer, request docking" has its benefits.

Attachment:
HelloComputer.jpg

Thinking of getting a new computer to run this. Also, my desktop PC is about four years old and I'm fast running out of hard drive space for all this photography. :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:28 
ugvm'er at heart...

Now that there is an actual release date, i've done a pre-order.

I need joystick thingy to go with it I expect, I want a reasonable one for cheap monies, any recommendations?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Trooper wrote:

I need joystick thingy to go with it I expect, I want a reasonable one for cheap monies, any recommendations?

I've got a Thrustmaster Hotas, which is cheap and most good.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:34 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

This one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thrustmaster-T- ... B001CXYMFS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:35 
Prince of Fops

Trooper wrote:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:41 
ugvm'er at heart...

Grim... wrote:

Ta, that looks alright. I shall see if I can get a preloved (virtually brand new, only inserted once!) one from ebay, but £40 won't break the bank if I can't. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:44 
Excellent Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29939113

Looks like there are a number of similar games in the pipeline now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:46 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Star Citizen is still a long way away.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:47 

Quote:
However, he said, it faced strong competition from another title, Star Citizen,... Star Citizen is scheduled to be released in 2016 though some parts of it are available to backers already.
This is THE WORST WRITING.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 15:19 
Rude Belittler

The game works really well with a 360 pad, by the way.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 15:20 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

And a keyboard, one would imagine.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 15:31 
Rude Belittler

Only thing I use the keyboard for is lateral thrust (ie only when landing), landing gear, and jump drive. Everything else is on the pad.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 17:22 

360 pad has the same number of buttons as our flight stick, Grim.... One less analogue axis though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 17:24 

Pundabaya wrote:
Only thing I use the keyboard for is lateral thrust (ie only when landing), landing gear, and jump drive. Everything else is on the pad.
Even stuff like
"select highest threat target", "max power to weapons", "lower cargo scoop", "release chaff", "activate silent running mode"?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 18:28 
Rude Belittler

Yep. Chaff can be set up on LT. Power distribution is on the D-pad. Cargo Scoop and silent running are on the right hand in-cockpit menu (I believe, I've yet to actually use any of these.) My only combat experience apart from the tutorials is running the fuck away from a NPC pirate who massively outgunned me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 15:59 

If you use the Advanced Control Pad profile, virtually everything is mapped to the 360-pad, via a combination of holding a face button and pressing a direction on the d-pad (ie, off the top of my head landing gear is B+down, cargo scoop is B+up, target ahead is Y+up, target hostile is Y+down, FSD is X=left, etc). The only thing that doesn't seem to be mapped that I ever use, and even then only extremely rarely, is the starship exterior lights.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 17:05 

Apparently the lights are good to stop people crashing into you when docking. Also they look boss as fuck.

Reply to topic  [ 764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next