Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Elite
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 18:14 
Gogmagog

lasermink wrote:
Just watch out for players doing pirating around those systems, if you play in open! And never, ever, take off without enough money to pay the buy back for your current ship.

Details, stories and anecdotes requested.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 18:23 
Hello Hello Hello

It sounds like a really badly implemented MMO with spaceships in it.

Even reading between the lines in the Eurogamer 8/10 review it was clear the game had more than its fair share of problems.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 19:48 
Terrible Human Being

Hearthly wrote:
It sounds like a really badly implemented MMO with spaceships in it.

Even reading between the lines in the Eurogamer 8/10 review it was clear the game had more than its fair share of problems.

It's more like a somewhat incomplete Elite game but with multiplayer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 15:28 

MaliA wrote:
lasermink wrote:
Just watch out for players doing pirating around those systems, if you play in open! And never, ever, take off without enough money to pay the buy back for your current ship.

Details, stories and anecdotes requested.

One of the first things I did was going to a system called Sorbago, where, according to the newsfeed, slaves working in the Empire's mines were rebelling. I had decided I wanted to play as a sort of imperial up-and-comer, so I was determined to help quell this rebellion. I had previously sold the free Eagle, but now I bought another one and having earned a bit of money doing exploration on the trip to Sorbago, I was able to get it fitted with decent weaponry and shields.

There were several conflict zones around the Sorbago system, some involving imperial capital ships, but the easiest ones tend to be the so called high intensity zones, where there is a variety of craft duking it out. Picking apart a Cobra or bigger takes a lot of time and ammo with an Eagle, so it was mainly a matter of trying to get to the Eagles and imperial fighters quickly, before they were taken out by NPCs or other players, who at this point all seemed to choose the same side as me, ie. the empire-supported mining company.

I had a couple of good sessions earning some nice bonds (3000 credits per kill) and going back to the station to cash them in. Then, at one point other players had turned up, and a few of them chose to defend the rebels. They all seemed to have very powerfully specced Cobras (backers at or above a certain tier get a Cobra at the beginning of the game). One of them went straight for me, and after a couple of seconds of having my shields torn apart, I turned around, afterburners screaming, just hell bent on getting the fuck out of there. My Eagle was upgraded, as I said, and pretty fast, and I put in some distance very quickly, but the FSD took an agonising time to spin up, and gimballed lasers were tearing at my hull as I frantically spiralled away from the war zone. I finally made it out of there at about 50% hull, and rushed back to the nearest station to repair and cash in my bonds (which you lose if you're blown up).

I wasn't about to go back to the same zone, and decided to have a look at one of the more remote zones involving a capital ship. I entered into the zone where smaller ships were already doing battle. A few moments later, the whole area suddenly seemed to crack apart and an absolutely gigantic and stunning looking ship materialised, warping space around it. Fortunately it was on my side.

However, a couple of enemy Anacondas immediately decided to target me, and just took away my shield in the blink of an eye. Again I was on the run, chunks of space ship all over the place as they picked me apart. My canopy was breached, and I found myself in the cold vacuum of space, making it out of the war zone with a mere 10% hull left. Fortunately I had fitted a good life support system and had 15 minutes of oxygen, which was plenty to make it back to the station, but on the other hand, since I had lost the central part of the canopy, the projected HUD would only show around the edge of my cockpit, which made it a bit trickier to navigate than usual.

It wouldn't have made much difference if I had been blown up, since I hadn't earned any bonds yet at this point. The rebuy cost of an Eagle is very low, although still somewhat more expensive than repairing. It just felt fantastic to make such a narrow escape, pulse hammering while limping into the space station on emergency life support. The broken canopy means all sound is muffled as the oxygen timer ticks down, until you make it inside the space station where there is life saving atmosphere. It really is a special feeling to arrive in this state.

At this point it looked as if I no longer had a chance in the conflict zones while flying an Eagle, so that's when I decided to do a rare goods run as described above, and I bought an Adder, fitted it appropriately and according to my budget, and made off for Lave.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 15:41 
Decapodian

I've done a couple of runs to Lave and picked up a full cargo hold of Rare items. Bugger off 150LY and sell, then return and repeat. That'll net you half a million credits from 34T so now I'm beefing up my weaponry and will go hunting.

I need to do some more missions to improve my reputation a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 16:50 
ugvm'er at heart...

Just spent a couple of hours in the rift with no space sickness, which was nice :) I can't drive a car sim for more than about 10 minutes without needing to throw up! I wonder why this is so different?

I now have 15000Cr! Is it best to keep saving a buy a hauler, or to spruce up my sidewinder? It's pretty low on room so if I want to add another 2 cargo slots I guess i'll have to remove my shields, which doesn't seem entirely sensible.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 17:20 
Decapodian

Swap to a hauler, then use Thrudds trading tool to see what's profitable near by. You should get some 1000cr/t routes.

http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 16:49 
ugvm'er at heart...

I now have a Hauler with 16T cargo capacity and 30000Cr in the bank. Go me!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 16:50 
Gogmagog

It does sound superb.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 20:41 
I forgot about this - how vain

Any news on the mac version?

:'(

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 22:03 
ugvm'er at heart...

I've swapped the HUD to be green and it makes a huge difference to the readability of the text in the rift, due to the pentile display.

I've just spent the past 10 mins circling an asteroid at high speed and skimming the surface with the proximity alarm blaring away, yet not actually touching it. The feeling of depth and control you have using the rift is incredible, no way I could have done that with just a flat monitor image.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 16:12 

Trooper wrote:
I now have a Hauler with 16T cargo capacity and 30000Cr in the bank. Go me!

Get yourself over to Lave - there's a cluster of systems there that sell rare goods. They're highlighted in a different colour in the commodities market.

Fill your cargo hold (you'll likely have to visit more than one system in the cluster to do so) and then go to Zeeszze (I think that's how it's spelt) - it's about 160 LY away so it'll take a while - but you'll be able to sell the rare goods for a huge profit, and then fill back up with rare goods in that cluster of systems. Go back to the Lave cluster - rinse and repeat.

Rare goods have a limited allocation and restock time though, so once you get to about ~50 tons of cargo capacity it can sometimes be quicker to just trade normal goods.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 16:13 

Trooper wrote:
I've swapped the HUD to be green and it makes a huge difference to the readability of the text in the rift, due to the pentile display.

Settings for this please? I've not yet found a green one I like :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 18:12 
ugvm'er at heart...

GazChap wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Settings for this please? I've not yet found a green one I like :)

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=82171

This is what I used.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 19:57 

Weren't kidding, were you? The difference in legibility is like night and fucking day.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 14:18 

I am CMDR Larsen, fear me! I have sent friend requests to PSB and Zoidberg, did I forget anyone, or is there anyone else out there wanna be friends?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 14:28 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'm CMDR Imperius Rex.

It's pretty pointless adding people at the moment though, as getting on the same server is tricky, and if you manage that, then there is no easy way to get to the same location, and if you manage that, there are no missions you can do together... :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 14:29 
ugvm'er at heart...

I now have a pimped up hauler and 200k in the bank, after a long boring trip to pick up and sell rares. It should go a lot faster next time as I have a much bigger jump range.
The thing that annoys me is needing to refuel halfway through the 150ly trip, is there a way to get a bigger fuel tank? I shall investigate.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 14:33 

I always use a fuel scoop for long trips.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 14:37 
ugvm'er at heart...

Aye, i'm going to fit one of those, but it still means stopping to refuel. Not quite as much faff as landing, but still a faff.

It seems you can't upgrade a fuel tank, which is annoying.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 14:41 

I dip in at every star on the way that is scoopable, that way it is just a short stop each time before you shoot off to the next one, and you are always topped up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 15:00 
ugvm'er at heart...

See... faff. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 15:22 

Fuel scooping is awesome. I've not paid for fuel in forever :P

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 16:03 
Unpossible!

GazChap wrote:
Fuel scooping is awesome. I've not paid for fuel in forever :P

Pikey. I bet you only use Red Dwarves.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 20:51 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

At GDC they just announced that Elite Dangerous will make its 'console debut' on the Xbox one this summer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 21:10 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Gosh, that's quick.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 21:19 
ugvm'er at heart...

That's going to be interesting. It really needs more "game" in it still...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 21:37 
Hello Hello Hello

Five of the guys at work got this and none of them are still playing it, all them were indeed citing a distinct lack of game in its current incarnation.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:29 
Excellent Member

Quote:
Just spent a couple of hours in the rift with no space sickness, which was nice :) I can't drive a car sim for more than about 10 minutes without needing to throw up! I wonder why this is so different?

By rift do you mean Oculus rift?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:45 
ugvm'er at heart...

asfish wrote:
Quote:

Aye, I do.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:08 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:
asfish wrote:
Quote:

Aye, I do.

Ok as posted in the rift thread I have one at work and might try a few games at home with it this weekend

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 17:05 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Confirmed that the Xbox deal is a 'timed exclusive' and it will come to PS4 as well

https://twitter.com/DavidBraben/status/ ... 7008444416

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 17:15 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

"Mac of course" :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 17:18 

It'd be a good deal less fun without a flightstick, I think.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 18:37 
Decapodian

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
It'd be a good deal less fun without a flightstick, I think.

I've been enjoying it with a 360 pad and keyboard. It's certainly not a bad way to play though I'm sure a decent stick would be an improvement.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:40 

I was playing last night, had just finished a trade run and decided to stick a couple of beam lasers on my Cobra to go and shoot space mans.

On the way out of the station I decided to boost, didn't notice the ship coming through the mailslot and smacked into the side of him.

Quick look at my radar, and his blip was hollow (meaning an actual player rather than an NPC) so thought I'd better apologise - turned around and waited for my ship to identify him.

It was my brother.

Up until this point we weren't on each other's friends lists, I just recognised his username.

The chances of that seem to be ludicrously odd, given the size of the galaxy in the game and the number of players. Amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:04 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:11 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

And when you told him that story of wild coincidence about why you rammed his ship, did he buy it?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:35 
Hello Hello Hello

Doesn't it cheat a bit because there's no central server involved, and it's basically a P2P style thing that hooks players up with each other in a slightly artificial way?

I think I saw a post to that effect on Reddit but then again it could have been an LSD flashback from the 60s.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 13:43 

It is P2P, but the only "favoured matching" is with people on your friends list or in groups that you've joined. So in this case, neither of those applied.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 14:06 

Will it not favour people in your geographical location?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 14:20 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Maybe, but if it did it would be on a very large scale (country-wide for a place as small as the UK).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 15:56 

markg wrote:
Will it not favour people in your geographical location?

As Grim... said, it'd be country-wide (or even continent wide, perhaps.)

My brother is in Glasgow anyway, so not particularly local to me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 23:04 
Can you dig it?

GazChap wrote:
smacked into the side of him.

Quick look at my radar, and his blip was hollow (meaning an actual player rather than an NPC) so thought I'd better apologise - turned around and waited for my ship to identify him.

Sounds like you need some griefing tips from Mail A.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 17:41 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Attachment:
unnamed.jpg

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Back in December 2012 we set an Apple Mac version of Elite: Dangerous as one of our Kickstarter stretch goals. With the help of our backers we hit the target, and we're pleased to announce the new Mac beta will be available on March 31.

Backers with beta access will be able to download a new Mac launcher from the EliteDangerous.com store. We’ll provide details when the build is available, along with a dedicated Mac beta discussion forum and bug reporting page.
We’re still some way from pinning down a minimum spec because just like the PC beta you’ll find the benchmark will change as we move into the final months of development. For now, we recommend the following for the beta test, based on our own development machines:

3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
8GB memory
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M with 2GB video memory / AMD Radeon R9 M290X with 2GB video memory
Mac OS 10.10.x (10.10.03 recommended)

Those specifications match a 2015 27-inch iMac. Optimisation and polish will see Elite: Dangerous playable on a variety of machines, and we’re aiming to make it playable by as many players as possible.

We’re also excited to confirm that Mac players will connect to the same galaxy state and gameplay sessions as PC players. We won’t be able to test crossplay during the beta, but there will be an equivalent PC beta available soon for PC players who want to fly alongside Mac pilots in the beta test galaxy.

We’ll have more to report next week.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 19:44 
Unpossible!

Those specs, though

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 15:59 

I've played the Mac Beta on my work MacBook Pro (which to be fair is a pretty decent spec, but not *that* good: 2.17GHz i7, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 650M) and it actually does play okay. Not brilliantly and nowhere near as well as it does on my PC at home, but it is definitely playable. Plus Frontier Developments have said that it needs a lot of optimisation, so they're expecting the minimum requirements will get lower and lower.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 21:32 
Excellent Member

Hullo, I've drifted back again. I'm currently fairly hooked on City Skylines, which is awesome, but I suddenly remembered in the middle of meticulously crafting a sunken motorway flanked by parks through my central business district that one of the reasons I wanted a new computer was Elite Dangerous.

However, I've begun hearing a lot of naysaying about it, with people saying there isn't actually that much content. And ouch, £40 etc. Now I don't play games that often, probably 8-10 hours a week, so I won't exhaust something. And it might be fun flying alongside you guys. And yay, I do have a flightstick. So, er, is it worth getting? Or are you all sick of it now?

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 21:41 
ugvm'er at heart...

Haven't played it in ages, and haven't seen anything reported about updates that made me interested in going back. There still isn't really much of a game there.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 21:57 
Excellent Member

Hmm, that sounds a shame. As I love space based games. Still wavering, but maybe I should go and give Sunless Sea some more love, instead.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

Reply to topic  [ 764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next